The big question about life on other planets: 1000000000000000000000 planets in the universe

There are only two options possible:
1. A creator

2. Given enough time dust will write a Sonata.

3... all of the above.
That simply involves a creator utilizing the dust.
Oh wait.
Genesis says dust.

A creator and evolution aren't exclusive. It's a matter of, "Does G-d work hard or does G-d work smart?".

Given his copious amount of spare time, I'm thinking he would get mightily bored sculpting every earthworm from scratch.

... fun fact, in Hebrew scripture, man was created from "Adamah", which translates to earth or ground ... not dust.
The issue of how God did it is separate from was God the catalyst or will dirt eventually write poetry given enough time.

We have zero evidence of how our Universe existed prior to the Big Bang or what could have created the singularity from where the Big Bag originated came into being.

We live in an infinite universe but our physical dimensional doesn't allow for infinity. So, obviously, there's a lot going on here that we don't get.

I prefer to think that our infinite creator was wise enough to know that given a specific set of physical rules, life (ultimately poetry-writing life) is inevitable given molecular bonding and the right conditions.

Scripture, is bronze-age man's attempt explain the processes as revealed by G-d. G-d couldn't explain the processes in detail any more than a physicist could explain quantum physics to a toddler. Bronze-age man didn't have the foundation in science to be able to grasp it.

However, G-d is wise, he knew that, given enough time (something G-d has a lot of), the events he put into motion all those Billions of years ago would come to one day understand his design. G-d's ultimate plan for our Universe is ineffable, but, based on what I see, I believe he's placed us in a play pen with trillions of puzzles to solve and our early childhood education will be to solve these puzzles and remove our ourselves from the playpen to the next step in our intellectual evolution.

I can't even imagine what G-d's middle school will look like ... but I'm guessing it will be awesome.
Pretty interesting that people 4,000 years ago got it right.

Still gets down to the either or issue. God did/did not.

an intelligent species would know that gas giant planets are not good planets for life

Not for bipedal, anthropomorphic life, obviously. But, the atmosphere of a gas giant is much like the sea in our own planet. Rich in constituent molecules and dense enough to allow those molecules to combine. It's not inconceivable that life might have evolved on a gas giant.

7707420876_f1d01b85be_b.jpg

an intelligent species would know that gas giant planets are not good planets for life. It would also know that a solar system, in addition to gas giants, would contain smaller planets that are good candidates for life.
Maybe the lifeform requires gas.
So far, we don't know that such a thing is possible.
No, but if we are going to toss reason aside and say dust will someday write a screenplay, then we have to be open to anything.

3... all of the above.
Oh wait.
Genesis says dust.

A creator and evolution aren't exclusive. It's a matter of, "Does G-d work hard or does G-d work smart?".

Given his copious amount of spare time, I'm thinking he would get mightily bored sculpting every earthworm from scratch.

... fun fact, in Hebrew scripture, man was created from "Adamah", which translates to earth or ground ... not dust.
The issue of how God did it is separate from was God the catalyst or will dirt eventually write poetry given enough time.

We have zero evidence of how our Universe existed prior to the Big Bang or what could have created the singularity from where the Big Bag originated came into being.

We live in an infinite universe but our physical dimensional doesn't allow for infinity. So, obviously, there's a lot going on here that we don't get.

I prefer to think that our infinite creator was wise enough to know that given a specific set of physical rules, life (ultimately poetry-writing life) is inevitable given molecular bonding and the right conditions.

Scripture, is bronze-age man's attempt explain the processes as revealed by G-d. G-d couldn't explain the processes in detail any more than a physicist could explain quantum physics to a toddler. Bronze-age man didn't have the foundation in science to be able to grasp it.

However, G-d is wise, he knew that, given enough time (something G-d has a lot of), the events he put into motion all those Billions of years ago would come to one day understand his design. G-d's ultimate plan for our Universe is ineffable, but, based on what I see, I believe he's placed us in a play pen with trillions of puzzles to solve and our early childhood education will be to solve these puzzles and remove our ourselves from the playpen to the next step in our intellectual evolution.

I can't even imagine what G-d's middle school will look like ... but I'm guessing it will be awesome.
Pretty interesting that people 4,000 years ago got it right.

Still gets down to the either or issue. God did/did not.

If he did, or didn't isn't a question we can accurately answer. We still have a lot of puzzles to solve before we get anywhere close to a definitive answer to that question.

It's perfectly alright to ask those questions. What's not right is burning people at the stake for coming up with a different answer.

Pretty interesting that people 4,000 years ago got it right
Not really. They were looking at the same world and sky we are. How else would they have imagined things, other than working with what they knew? God picked up some dirt and made a body; they knew about dirt (and how to make clay pots and dwellings), and they knew about bodies. God made the container of the heavens, then the earth he placed in it .... As opposed to the opposite order?

3... all of the above.
Oh wait.
Genesis says dust.

I like the way you think.

Why do you suppose god hides himself like this?

I don't think G-d hides himself at all. He's there all the time. We just don't have the ability to see ... for now.

Give our species a few million more years, we'll be a lot closer to the answer.

Not really. They were looking at the same world and sky we are. How else would they have imagined things, other than working with what they knew? God picked up some dirt and made a body; they knew about dirt (and how to make clay pots and dwellings), and they knew about bodies. God made the container of the heavens, then the earth he placed in it .... As opposed to the opposite order?
There are many religions, each with an explanation for creation.

Only one got it right.

It's perfectly alright to ask those questions. What's not right is burning people at the stake for coming up with a different answer.
BUT

It is perectly acceptable to give someone an 'F' on a 9th grade evolution quiz for answering, "dust can't write poetry".

Let's all be crystal clear on that.

There are many religions, each with an explanation for creation.

Only one got it right.

Which one?

My money is on the turtles.

turtles-all-the-way-down-susan-culver.jpg

BUT

It is perectly acceptable to give someone an 'F' on a 9th grade evolution quiz for answering, "dust can't write poetry".

You’re the one claiming dust will naturally end up writing a novel.

Is that why you don’t dust?

BUT

School (particularly 9th grade) isn't about finding the answers to anything. It's about absorbing a pre-approved list of facts and data so we can regurgitate them onto a test and be classified for our future place in society.

The lesson we learn in the first 18 or so years of our formal education is conformity.

However, what one believes based on their observations in life is something completely different.

Would I give someone an "F" for saying "Dust can't create poetry". Yes, I would. Not because it's an argument against evolution. But, because it's a reductionist argument with no actual observational data behind it.

"Dust can't write poetry" isn't even a good basis for an argument because it is rooted in the fallacy that any object only has the same capabilities of its constituent parts.

Additionally, dust is a mistranslation of the Hebrew scripture. If you're going to make an argument based on scripture, you should at least go to the original source.

School (particularly 9th grade) isn't about finding the answers to anything. It's about absorbing a pre-approved list of facts and data so we can regurgitate them onto a test and be classified for our future place in society.
Haha, wow, that escalated quickly .

No, i assure you, 9th grade science class is about learning basic, true, empirical knowledge.

Furthermore, you will get an F in science class in college, too, for that answer.

So, willing to acknowledge my point yet?

I have never said or implied such a thing. Sorry my man, I'm pretty immune to your tired, tedious YEC rhetoric. Most people are.
You don’t even understand what the Periodic Table is and what that means, do you?

You know the coolest thing about the Periodic Table of Elements?

It actually predicted the existence of elements before they were discovered. Mendeleev predicted the existence of gallium (Ga), scandium (Sc), and germanium (Ge) based on the missing holes where elements should exist but we weren't aware of them.

That is cool as balls.

I have never said or implied such a thing. Sorry my man, I'm pretty immune to your tired, tedious YEC rhetoric. Most people are.
You don’t even understand what the Periodic Table is and what that means, do you?
I'm not your assistant. If you have a point,state it.
Me, you, everything around us is listed. That’s all we are if there is no spirit. Just a bunch of elements we can buy on Amazon.

So either those elements will end up playing frisbee given enough time or that’s impossible.

You say they’ll be playing frisbee.

Haha, wow, that escalated quickly .

No, i assure you, 9th grade science class is about learning basic, true, empirical knowledge.

Furthermore, you will get an F in science class in college, too, for that answer.

So, willing to acknowledge my point yet?

Like I said, it's a bad answer. Not for its conclusion, but for the fact it's not well reasoned and rooted in a false analogy.

Maybe it's because I've been around a long while, but I can assure you that many of the empirical facts I learned in 9th grade were no such thing. It's huge leap from intelligence to insight.

Forum List

Back