🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Difference Between Our Founding Fathers and Today's "Revolutionaries"

You do if you want to hold on to your colonies from other superpowers.

And pillaging wealth from disorganized societies gives you the means to develope into a superpower.

Honestly, I think the two probably went hand-in-hand. The more you loot from "those savages" in the new world, the more wealthy and powerful you became. Do it long enough and, boom - you're a "superpower."

Well I suppose we will have to agree to disagree after all.

Well I do appreciate your point of view and really respect the way you make your points. I gotta fly but I really have enjoyed it and you really have made me think. Who knows, maybe you planted a seed that will ultimately lead to a change of heart.

Have a great evening.

Our founding fathers would laugh at what today's "revolutionaries" consider grievances

I believe you are correct.
I think they would also admire how American resembles their vision a lot more today than it did during their lifetimes.

Just MHO.

Yes, they could only dream of free cellphones, 1/6 of Americans on the government dole, 30,000,000+ unemployed, $16,000,000,000,000 debt, etc.

Yep... twas but a pipedream...

:lol:

Compared to 4 million Americans who were slaves?

Americans are much better off than with the founders

Soggy, Americans are far better off today than under the founders: no doubt about it.

Yes, I'm sure that the transition from a rural, largely agrarian society to a more urbanized society would cause them some consternation too.

But I also believe that we have achieved a level of diversity and equality that they could only write about and dream about.

I don't think diversity was a concern of thiers, because the concept didnt really exist at the time. Also remember alot of them were slaveholders and while agreeing about equality for some, they did not agree with equality for all.

The sheer scope of our current government would probably remind them more of Gerorge III's government than the one George Washington would want.

I don't remember any fiery speeches about the size of George III's government. I do recall talk of equality and diversity.

But I certainly haven't read EVERY utterance.

The question was never the size of the British government, it was the overreach of that government that caused the revolution. The final overreach was the British attempt to disarm the Americans by confiscating the guns and powder stored at Concord. That act caused the shot heard around the world, and brought on the revolution.

If we continue down the path to totalitarianism, there will be a final act that will spur people into action, and then the devil take the hindmost, because no one will be able to predict the outcome. The odds favor a dictatorship, most likely instituted by the military.

Kevin_Kennedy is the most respected poster on the Board.

Well I don't know about that, but I appreciate it, Jake.

Well given that the compliment came from one of the least respected members on this board, I would take that as very low praise.

I've always liked Jake. I've found that when you treat people with respect they tend to reciprocate, and I think that's why Jake and I get along despite disagreeing on many issues. Whatever other people may say about him is irrelevant to me. I consider him an asset to this board who brings a unique perspective.

You see, Kevin is respected for his even handedness. TemplarKormac is respected by a very few reactionaries, nothing more. My respect comes from right to left. I have never worried about what the reactionaries emote about me: not important.

Forum List

Back