The downside of carrying a firearm...

What's the difference in you desperately trying to ignore the obvious in attempts to make the counterpoint?
You are an expert at this rhetoric ... But yours is the same argumentative bullshit.

I'm not making a point there. I'm shooting one down. :confused:

Yours,
Captain Obvious

In generating a response demonstrating an emphasis in contrast to the same applicable argument ... You did in fact make a counterpoint, whether or not you intended to ... And I did identify it as a counterpoint ... not a point.

No, it's called satire; taking the adversary's point to its obviously absurd conclusion in order to demonstrate that absurdity.

I'm not making a point there. I'm shooting one down. :confused:

Yours,
Captain Obvious

In generating a response demonstrating an emphasis in contrast to the same applicable argument ... You did in fact make a counterpoint, whether or not you intended to ... And I did identify it as a counterpoint ... not a point.

No, it's called satire; taking the adversary's point to its obviously absurd conclusion in order to demonstrate that absurdity.

It doesn't matter if you used satire when you made your counterpoint ... And intention is irrelevant to definition in that case.

The assailant was an insane cop. What's in his service record? What history of violence did he carry into that theater along with his handgun?

You are calling him an insane cop now, after the fact. What proof do you have that he didn't have a stellar record as an officer?
That's precisely what I want to know. Does he have a history of violence? We're talking about Tampa Florida here. Not considered the Athens of the Fulf Coast. How could someone capable of such bad decision making be trusted as a police officer?

Does he have a history of violence

apparently not according to neighbors

the police report he says he was hit in the face

this is why they have trials

Ex-cop arrested in fatal theater shooting 'nice guy,' neighbor says - CNN.com

Yeah well ... I think the dispatcher handled the caller better than the police handled the man.
If the responding officer had any guts at all and knew the law ... They should have approached him differently.
There was no cause for excessive alarm from the caller ... There was no indication of imminent danger.
Unlawful detention could be an issue, although I would be less likely to pursue that if the police officer isn't an ass.

There were two firearms involved in the initial encounter ... And the only person pointing one at somebody and threatening them at the same time was the responding officer.

the dispatcher certainly did appear more professional and knowledgeable then the officer

the kid had to set the officer straight every step of the way

including when the officer told him to reload his firearm after he left

the kid said he could not do that because then he would be brandishing a firearm

They all appeared to be textbook perfect ... Including the dispatch of officers to the scene and how they approached the situation.
Right up to the point the responding officer got out of his vehicle, drew his weapon and went all "SWAT Team" on the guy.

It was also interesting when the dispatcher told the woman on the phone that more people were choosing to open carry as a result of Sandy Hook.

I don't see any of this working out with legal gun owners as long as owning a firearm makes you a villain in general perception.
It is going to get worse before it gets any better ... And the people who think they are helping someone are the people who are going to make it worse.

The assailant was an insane cop. What's in his service record? What history of violence did he carry into that theater along with his handgun?

He was a captain and a member of SWAT. That means that, in addition to the extensive background and psych tests he went through to be a cop, he had to pass through extra screening, and receive additional training, to handle all sorts of different situations that are not in the purview of a beat cop. I guess they forgot to cover parents with cell phones.

Keep arguing with me, the more you argue, the better my case.
Are you trying to justify the shooting? A SWAT team member is faced down with a cell phone and movie theater popcorn and then he makes the choice to draw and fire?!? And somehow this all makes sense?

I am not the one that defends cops who shoot random citizens, am I?

The point I am making is that, until you are willing to apply the exact same laws to cops that you want to hoist on me, don't expect me to discuss this like you are being rational. This asshole would have had a gun even if it was illegal for everyone who isn't a cop. The evidence, at this point, shows he wasn't a violent cop, or a bad cop, he was just a cop. You can't change the facts because you don't like the fact that a cop, who you would support under almost any other circumstance, shot a guy for texting during the previews. Last time I was in a movie they didn't even ask people to turn their cell phones off until after the previews, yet he died for it because a cop decided it was a capital offense.

It doesn't matter if you used satire when you made your counterpoint ... And intention is irrelevant to definition in that case.

The only "counterpoint" was that the strawman argument is absurd. But that's always the point of satire.

Had I actually intended to float the proposition that "guns don't kill people, bullets kill people" as if it could be a productive argument, that would have been a counterpoint. It wasn't.

The only "counterpoint" was that the strawman argument is absurd. But that's always the point of satire.

Had I actually intended to float the proposition that "guns don't kill people, bullets kill people" as if it could be a productive argument, that would have been a counterpoint. It wasn't.

You are going to have to try harder.
Counterpoint doesn't refer to your intentions and you achieved the criteria to meet the definition ... Just more argumentative bullshit "like" I mentioned in the post your are still talking about.

Last edited:
Yeah well ... I think the dispatcher handled the caller better than the police handled the man.
If the responding officer had any guts at all and knew the law ... They should have approached him differently.
There was no cause for excessive alarm from the caller ... There was no indication of imminent danger.
Unlawful detention could be an issue, although I would be less likely to pursue that if the police officer isn't an ass.

There were two firearms involved in the initial encounter ... And the only person pointing one at somebody and threatening them at the same time was the responding officer.

the dispatcher certainly did appear more professional and knowledgeable then the officer

the kid had to set the officer straight every step of the way

including when the officer told him to reload his firearm after he left

the kid said he could not do that because then he would be brandishing a firearm

They all appeared to be textbook perfect ... Including the dispatch of officers to the scene and how they approached the situation.
Right up to the point the responding officer got out of his vehicle, drew his weapon and went all "SWAT Team" on the guy.

It was also interesting when the dispatcher told the woman on the phone that more people were choosing to open carry as a result of Sandy Hook.

I don't see any of this working out with legal gun owners as long as owning a firearm makes you a villain in general perception.
It is going to get worse before it gets any better ... And the people who think they are helping someone are the people who are going to make it worse.

It was also interesting when the dispatcher told the woman on the phone that more people were choosing to open carry as a result of Sandy Hook

yeah i found that curious as well

i knew sales skyrocketed after Sandy Hook but was unaware that open carry increased

maybe it is related to what the kid said to the cop when the cop asked him why

he was open carrying

he said because he is trying to get a CC permit but the process is slow

maybe the state is dragging its feet on a lot of permit apps

and this is why they are seeing much more open carry

The presence of guns escalates the chances of gun violence.

The presence of guns also stops gun violence.

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.

And the bad guys will always have a gun, so why shouldn't the good guys?

I don't need a cop to protect me as long as I have a gun.
tell it to Reagan or Kennedy or McKinley or anyone else who was shot while they were surrounded by well armed, well trained cadres of security forces.

You are either lying or have failed to think out your post.

True. The obvious downside is you don't know how to use it.

No, I own a gun. But I'm too responsible to carry it around and make it available to any idiot who sees it. It's at home, unloaded and locked in a safe. I know responsibility.

Yes just let me unlock my safe, retrieve my ammo, load my gun, charge my weapon and take action.

What's that honey ? Hurry they're raping you.

Just being responsible dear

There was a shooting at a gun shop here in Pennsylvania just last week.

And that proves me right, doesn't it?
Hardly! It was an armed assault on the clerk at a gun shop. The favored example of gun lovers. The presence of guns escalates the chances of gun violence.

If that was true you would be able to post hundreds of stories, yet all you have is one of a guy getting shot in a gun store that he operated out of his own home.

What was that again? It was private home in rural Pennsylvania, not a gun store in a big city, or a gun show? And the guy was pretending to be a cop investigating an illegal lottery, and extorting the owner of the store that he operated out of his house?

Damn, I guess you win after all.

You are calling him an insane cop now, after the fact. What proof do you have that he didn't have a stellar record as an officer?
That's precisely what I want to know. Does he have a history of violence? We're talking about Tampa Florida here. Not considered the Athens of the Fulf Coast. How could someone capable of such bad decision making be trusted as a police officer?

Does he have a history of violence

apparently not according to neighbors

the police report he says he was hit in the face

this is why they have trials

Ex-cop arrested in fatal theater shooting 'nice guy,' neighbor says - CNN.com

He was hit in the face with a bag of popcorn.

You are either lying or have failed to think out your post.

True. The obvious downside is you don't know how to use it.

No, I own a gun. But I'm too responsible to carry it around and make it available to any idiot who sees it. It's at home, unloaded and locked in a safe. I know responsibility.

I own a gun, several in fact. I carry almost all the time. Its fully loaded and the safety is off. I know responsibility.

Forum List

Back