The dreaded gay-wedding-cake saga ends: bakers must pay 135 K

Wrong. It punishes people with religious faith. That is unjust.

No, because again, it applies to everyone equally. It is not a punishment for goodness sakes! :rolleyes-41: It must suck to live your life feeling that you are being persecuted because a business is not allowed to discriminate.
It does not affect everyone equally. It serves to punish those with religious objections. Which is unconstitutional under our system.
WHich part of that do you not get?

Nope, it doesn't. If you are a racist, it applies to you as well. If you are a gay person, it applies to you too. The LAW in that state states that you cannot discriminate based upon sexual orientation. PERIOD.
You are a dope.
If there is a law that says all businesses must be open Saturday then I am affected by it because my religion forbids me from working on saturday, even though the law applies to everyone else.

Right, but it is BECAUSE we have anti discrimination laws. They protect all of us. That is what you need to realize.

I do realize it you need to realize that its a two way street and that all beliefs are due the same protections.

And they are. These laws protect you too. Businesses cannot discriminate against you because of your religious beliefs. That is all there is to it. There is nothing "unfair" about these laws. If you go into business, be prepared to serve EVERYBODY.

Don't you understand? you are advocating discrimination against businesses because of their religious beliefs. anti-discrimination does not just apply to individuals, it applies to businesses and groups as well.
The bakery was not being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs. The bakery is not a religious institution.

You don't really grok Individual liberty.
An individuals right to refuse service to
Right, but it is BECAUSE we have anti discrimination laws. They protect all of us. That is what you need to realize.

I do realize it you need to realize that its a two way street and that all beliefs are due the same protections.

And they are. These laws protect you too. Businesses cannot discriminate against you because of your religious beliefs. That is all there is to it. There is nothing "unfair" about these laws. If you go into business, be prepared to serve EVERYBODY.

Don't you understand? you are advocating discrimination against businesses because of their religious beliefs. anti-discrimination does not just apply to individuals, it applies to businesses and groups as well.
The bakery was not being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs. The bakery is not a religious institution.

neither were the gay couple a religious institution, so what?

what should have happened is:

gay couple: we would like for you to bake us a wedding cake

baker: I do not want to do that because I do not believe in gay marriage, however, Tom the baker down the street is gay and he would be pleased to bake your cake

gay couple: thanks, we respect your beliefs and will go see Tom, have a nice day.
In Oregon, it is against the law for a business to refuse service based on race, sex, or sexual orientation. The bakery is a business. The people who run it, merely represent it

Bottom line, it is against the law in this particular state to discriminate based upon sexual orientation (amongst other things), and so you would be breaking the law. Don't get mad at me . . . I didn't make the laws.
You've made this point over and over. It doesnt wash. The law is unjust and probably unconstitutional. The bakers are right to resist it. They are martyrs in a new civil rights movement.
We shall overcome!

You would be correct if it applied to only gay people, but applies to Christians, Muslims, racists, and everyone else. The law is applied equally.
It has disparate affects. Which is the measure of discrimination in law.

No, because again, it applies to everyone equally. It is not a punishment for goodness sakes! :rolleyes-41: It must suck to live your life feeling that you are being persecuted because a business is not allowed to discriminate.
It does not affect everyone equally. It serves to punish those with religious objections. Which is unconstitutional under our system.

Nope, it doesn't. If you are a racist, it applies to you as well. If you are a gay person, it applies to you too. The LAW in that state states that you cannot discriminate based upon sexual orientation. PERIOD.
You are a dope.
If there is a law that says all businesses must be open Saturday then I am affected by it because my religion forbids me from working on saturday, even though the law applies to everyone else.

Well then, check your state laws before you open a business in that state. Besides, I am aware of NO laws that state a business must be open on a certain day. Keeping your business closed on a Saturday is not discriminatory business practice either.

Bottom line, it is against the law in this particular state to discriminate based upon sexual orientation (amongst other things), and so you would be breaking the law. Don't get mad at me . . . I didn't make the laws.
You've made this point over and over. It doesnt wash. The law is unjust and probably unconstitutional. The bakers are right to resist it. They are martyrs in a new civil rights movement.
We shall overcome!

You would be correct if it applied to only gay people, but applies to Christians, Muslims, racists, and everyone else. The law is applied equally.
It has disparate affects. Which is the measure of discrimination in law.

No, because it applies to everyone the same. A gay person can also not discriminate against you because you are a heterosexual when it comes to public accommodation business practice.

I'm sorry, but that's how I view you too. :D Very ignorant.

maybe a sack of frog feet was too complimentary, how about a sack of cat shit?

Lol. Okay. If you cannot see the value of anti-discrimination laws, I can't help you. If you don't understand that American laws are not based upon any one particular religious principal, then I can't help you.

what you don't, or won't, get is that anti discrimination goes both ways.

Businesses are not allowed to discriminate period. When someone comes in and asks you, as a public accommodation business, to bake a cake, and you refuse. They are not discriminating against you! Good grief! It's you who is discriminating against them!
You dont get this, do you?
Someone asks me to do something contrary to my relgigious beliefs and then forces me to, it's discrimination. What part of that do you fail to understand?

As a business owner choosing to cater to the general public, you put yourself in the position where that was possible. Maybe some of these businesses should promote themselves as Christian oriented businesses and the gays would stay away.
Call yourself " The Glory of God Baking Company" or some such. They may have a leg to stand on if they choose to discriminate. They could argue that their name makes it apparent that they adhere to chtlristian

Wrong, that would not prevent anything. In fact, there is little doubt that the militant gays would TARGET such businesses.

these laws oppress freedom. There is no way around that.

Freedoms some times include the freedom to do what others find distasteful.

You would think that a group that argued that they had a right to marry even though others find it icky would get that.

Look the PA laws have been around for a long time, it's nothing new.A business owner needs to be aware of this before opening. It certainly is not the customer's fault that the business owner wants to be a c*nt.

Disclaimer...............No Muslim Bakeries were sued in the making of the video in post # 805.

Bad laws are still laws, you are correct. Laws that discriminate against people because of their religious or personal beliefs are unconstitutional.

It is quite likely that a future SC will vacate this ruling.

They are not "bad laws." Lol. These laws protect ALL of us. The same thing is going to apply if you, as a Christian, go to a Muslim bakery, and they refuse to bake YOU a cake based on their personal belief system. You seem to think people are out to "get you." That is not the case. These laws are in place for fair business practice.

They should protect all, but sadly they don't.

Public access laws do not protect the straight couple that wish to use a gym shower together in the same way a lesbian married couple does.

The lesbians disrobe together, no law is broken, but in the SAME ROOM, the male could be arrested.

That is not the same thing at all. :lol:

I guess we will have to take your word for it?

Or you can explain how that does not make you a bigot

Because there are women's and men's locker rooms. Who knows though? Maybe soon enough you will have those co-ed showers and locker rooms.

A lesbian functions the same as a married male in this. Both are attracted to females, but only one will be arrested the other not.

I wonder what the public poles would be if the public ACCOMODATIONS laws would have to be changed for this?

Not sure a whole lot of people would appreciate this new equality, but I guess we'll have to see. If it's not accepted publicly, I wonder what the backlash could be?

They are not "bad laws." Lol. These laws protect ALL of us. The same thing is going to apply if you, as a Christian, go to a Muslim bakery, and they refuse to bake YOU a cake based on their personal belief system. You seem to think people are out to "get you." That is not the case. These laws are in place for fair business practice.

Public access laws do not protect the straight couple that wish to use a gym shower together in the same way a lesbian married couple does.

The lesbians disrobe together, no law is broken, but in the SAME ROOM, the male could be arrested.

Because there are women's and men's locker rooms. Who knows though? Maybe soon enough you will have those co-ed showers and locker rooms.

A lesbian functions the same as a married male in this. Both are attracted to females, but only one will be arrested the other not.

I wonder what the public poles would be if the public ACCOMODATIONS laws would have to be changed for this?

Not sure a whole lot of people would appreciate this new equality, but I guess we'll have to see. If it's not accepted publicly, I wonder what the backlash could be?

Doesn't matter because they are all WOMEN.

Bad laws are still laws, you are correct. Laws that discriminate against people because of their religious or personal beliefs are unconstitutional.

It is quite likely that a future SC will vacate this ruling.

You argue that separate but equal is good public policy.

Who knew?

I'm sorry, but that's how I view you too. :D Very ignorant.

maybe a sack of frog feet was too complimentary, how about a sack of cat shit?

Lol. Okay. If you cannot see the value of anti-discrimination laws, I can't help you. If you don't understand that American laws are not based upon any one particular religious principal, then I can't help you.

what you don't, or won't, get is that anti discrimination goes both ways.

Businesses are not allowed to discriminate period. When someone comes in and asks you, as a public accommodation business, to bake a cake, and you refuse. They are not discriminating against you! Good grief! It's you who is discriminating against them!
You dont get this, do you?
Someone asks me to do something contrary to my relgigious beliefs and then forces me to, it's discrimination. What part of that do you fail to understand?

As a business owner choosing to cater to the general public, you put yourself in the position where that was possible. Maybe some of these businesses should promote themselves as Christian oriented businesses and the gays would stay away.
Call yourself " The Glory of God Baking Company" or some such. They may have a leg to stand on if they choose to discriminate. They could argue that their name makes it apparent that they adhere to christian values.
Hobby Lobby contains no Christian or religious references in its name.
Must suck to be wrong all the time.

The HL case was about employees not the general public. PA laws do not cover employees. Must suck to be dumb.

And all married. Lesbians desire women in exactly the same way as married men. The male gets arrested and the lesbian doesn't.

The legal reasoning that this is not a violation of public accomodations laws?

Please

And all married. Lesbians desire women in exactly the same way as married men. The male gets arrested and the lesbian doesn't.

The legal reasoning that this is not a violation of public accomodations laws?

Please
Bathrooms are based on junk Pops, not desire. Sorry.

We shall overcome!

Overcome what? Your learning disability?

You are a dope.

There is no such law.

Forum List

Back