The liberals' official hostility to religion takes a strange new turn

Sounds to me that it's not a problem with Christmas it's a problem with wishing them a happy holiday, no matter what the holiday.

Seriously the fact that New Year's is included means that this has shit to do with religion.

Unless the exclusion of all holidays was done just because it had to be in order to be able to shut out Christmas.
Now we're just guessing their intentions.

Indeed. Both of us were. Has anyone posted a link to the rationale yet? If it was in the OP, I've forgotten it already. Just playing around now.

I guess you're right.

Anyway I kind of agree with this "no free mail for sending out holiday cards".

I mean you know the cards are completely unnecessary and they're only doing this to make themselves look good. If they really want to send out cards to everyone they should have to pay for it themselves like their competition would.

So won't ANYONE tell me what religion New Year's Day is????

it's a catholic holy day of obligation, iirc.

i believe it's called the feast of the circumcision, which, once i found out what circumcision was, became an unending source of amusement.

for me.

my parents, not so much
Merry circumcision Del, and be happy that the taxpayers paid for these greetings.

Because I'm too cheap to send them to you from my personal email account. But the sentiment is the same and please vote for me since I'm so awesome to send you these greetings of holiday cheer.

And may creeping sharia never bog you down, and etc.

God save the Queen.

Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

According to our progressive friends it's not a ban... You know because they believe they have the ability to just redefine words and shit like its a superpower.

Is it me. or is it kinda weird that this topic is still active. Congressmen might put "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah" or "What-the-fuck-ever" in franked correspondence. Bluh.
That is my sentiment in regards to that.
Bluh , fucking bluh.
Hey, assholes, we are trillions in debt. We have bigger fish to fry than "Merry Christmas" being included in some mail. Jesus H. Christ, ain't there nobody with a lick of sense in this world?
Hey, I got an idea, make every congressman walk around backwards and sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" on Fridays. Make 'em have food fights every Wednesday. Make 'em do entertaining shit, stuff that will make people watch C-span. If we're going to watch them bicker about nonsense, we might as well get some entertainment out of it.
What about Congressional MMA? Boehner puts a sleeper on Pelosi, or McCain gets one in the nuts from Boxer. WTF, let's see some action, damn it!

Its part 'n parcel of Fox New's Bill O'Reilly "war on xmas" meme :eek: ZZZzzz

...and trotted out faithfully every year, just like the guy wearing the Santa suit.

In what sense? Do a disproportionate number of young boys get molested on New Year's Day?

Use your fingers for something other than picking your nose. Turn the pages of a history book.

This new wingnut tactic of never backing up anything they say is rather annoying.

Do you know how to use the search function in your browser?

I just did, and now you look stupid. Just sayin........................

Those bad ole Christians! All that praying and stuff! Who do they think they are? They should all be locked up. Our Founding Fathers (All Devout Christians) would not stand for such open worship of God. So just lock em all up and be done with it. And you can start with that mean ole Tebow guy. He's praying way too damn much. I don't like that. He's clearly a threat to our way of life. He should not be allowed to just pray anytime he wants to. Lock em up and throw away the key.

Looks like the PC police have threatened members of the House of Representatives against wishing constituents a "Merry Christmas," if they want to do so in a mailing paid for with tax dollars.

Members who submit official mailings for review by the congressional franking commission that reviews all congressional mail to determine if it can be "franked," or paid for with tax dollars, are being told that no holiday greetings, including "Merry Christmas," can be sent in official mail.

"I called the commission to ask for clarification and was told no 'Merry Christmas.' Also told cannot say 'Happy New Year' but can say 'have a happy new year' – referencing the time period of a new year, but not the holiday," said a Hill staffer who requested anonymity.

Congressmen can't say 'Merry Christmas' in mail | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

At this point, I'd ask "are you fucking kidding me?" But why bother? I already know they're serious.

Seriously absurd.

You'd think 'hostility to religion' would mean something like government ordered burnings of religious texts, the seizing of the money and land belonging to religious organizations, religious leaders being jailed. You know, actual hostility. Not crying over a government official not being allowed to use a specific religious holiday greeting.

Jesus died, not for your sins, but so you can whine like a spoiled brat when people don't bend over for your preferred religion.

Sounds to me that it's not a problem with Christmas it's a problem with wishing them a happy holiday, no matter what the holiday.

Seriously the fact that New Year's is included means that this has shit to do with religion.

Unless the exclusion of all holidays was done just because it had to be in order to be able to shut out Christmas.
Now we're just guessing their intentions.

As are you.

If they are concerned (and they are) about the use of tax dollars when the a government representative dares to use a term or phrase that touches on religion, then there ought to be no fucking reason to worry about a Congressman wishing a constituent a Happy New Year. And yet, the Franking Committee "forbids" that too on pain of not getting the paid-for mailing?

Please. That's just a moronic interference with free speech if they can point to no "reason" for it. Accordingly, logic dictates that they MUST have some kind of "reason" for it. And it's clear. They want to include that as a thin pretext to "cover" their true agenda. No reference to religion.

Which takes us back to the real issue. If a Representative's statement doesn't risk any establishment of any State religion and it doesn't risk the interference of any person's free exercise of his or her own religion, then there is no valid basis to be concerned with a "violation" of the First Amendment.

Seriously absurd.

You'd think 'hostility to religion' would mean something like government ordered burnings of religious texts, the seizing of the money and land belonging to religious organizations, religious leaders being jailed. You know, actual hostility. Not crying over a government official not being allowed to use a specific religious holiday greeting.

Jesus died, not for your sins, but so you can whine like a spoiled brat when people don't bend over for your preferred religion.

YOU would think if only you could. Sadly, you can't.

Hostility to religion isn't some limited little concept.

It can manifest itself in a whole variety of ways.

Forbidding Congress-critters from even intoning a harmless sign-off in a constituent letter because it is loosely associated with "religion" is an example of that whether YOU happen to agree or not, Wojahowitz.

Christians believe that Jesus came to die for our sins. MY religion is hardly the point, you ignorant nitwit. I'm not even particularly religious. But noting the irrationality of liberals' general hostility to religion doesn't constitute "whining," you tool.

It is simply an observation that the irrational hostility keeps manifesting itself AS irrational time and time again in new and increasingly petty ways.

If only the Left could carry out the 'Christian Holocaust' they've fantasized about for so many years. America would be a Utopia. Just kidding,obviously i'm exaggerating...Or am I? ;)

Last edited:

Seriously absurd.

Except that no other holiday is excluded. Just Christmas. And only Christmas in the House. The Senators can wish their constituents a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or whatever the heck they wish to wish. That's what makes it so nuts.

Seriously absurd.

YOU would think if only you could. Sadly, you can't.

Hostility to religion isn't some limited little concept.

It can manifest itself in a whole variety of ways.

Forbidding Congress-critters from even intoning a harmless sign-off in a constituent letter because it is loosely associated with "religion" is an example of that whether YOU happen to agree or not, Wojahowitz.

First amendment, first amendment, first amendment. Christmas is still a Christian holiday despite the general secularization of it, and we do have people in this country who don't celebrate it.

Christians believe that Jesus came to die for our sins. MY religion is hardly the point, you ignorant nitwit. I'm not even particularly religious. But noting the irrationality of liberals' general hostility to religion doesn't constitute "whining," you tool.

It is simply an observation that the irrational hostility keeps manifesting itself AS irrational time and time again in new and increasingly petty ways.

You can keep calling hostility, but that doesn't make it so. I'm not sure how not allowing specific holiday greetings, but allowing happy holidays is irrational hostility towards religion, so much as making sure everyone is included and acknowledging that not everyone celebrates the same holiday you do.

I'm pretty sure there are people of various faiths the world over who see more hostility daily than a simple change in a card from their representative.

Except that no other holiday is excluded. Just Christmas. And only Christmas in the House. The Senators can wish their constituents a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays or whatever the heck they wish to wish. That's what makes it so nuts.

Look at what the article quoted:

Members are unable at the current time to use official resources to record holiday greetings, post on social media/website, or send to constituents in franked mail or e-communications.

Member’s Congressional Handbook: GREETINGS-

Expenses related to the purchase or distribution of greetings, including holiday celebrations, condolences, and congratulations for personal distinctions (wedding anniversaries, birthdays, etc.), are not reimbursable.”

Franking Manual:

4(a). Example of Nonfrankable Items
-Birthday, anniversary, wedding, birth, retirement or condolence messages and holiday greetings are prohibited.”

You may make reference to the season as a whole using language along the lines of 'Have a safe and happy holiday season.' It may only be incidental to the piece rather than the primary purpose of the communication."

It doesn't single out Christmas, it applies to all holidays. In fact, if you go read the manual directly, you'll notice this isn't a new thing, but the first time they prohibited it was back in the '70s. Also, the reason it applies to the House and not the Senate is because each body appoints its own committee members and operates how it chooses to.

Forum List

Back