The Pitchforks Are (Still) Coming

It sure can be tough to get straight, complete answers here
Ask better questions.
You post a thread and you won't explain what you mean by it.

I can see you're not going to answer my direct question, so never mind.

Would anyone else like to explain precisely what is meant by "pitchforks", in practical terms?

It's not a tough question.

Great ... Then I suggest he donate more money to the cause.
He can write a check to the government for as much as he wants ... And he can do whatever is possible to see that it goes where he wants.
That would absolutely be the best solution.
Apparently, Stephen Colbert has put his money where his mouth is in South Carolina:
"Comedian Stephen Colbert announced Thursday that he would fund every existing grant request South Carolina public school teachers have made on the education crowdfunding websiteDonorsChoose.org."
Stephen Colbert SC Teachers 800 000 man

The middle class isn't blaming the rich for what ever is perceived as economic loss. The middle class is blaming benefits paid to the poor and even poorer illegal immigrants. The pitchforks are coming. Just who do you think they are coming for?
They are coming for those who've seen their share of national income rise three-fold over the last five decades by closing 50,000 US factories and shipping 5,000,000 US jobs to China. A few in the middle class blame the immigrants and the poor for globalization, but those are the folks who think corporations are people. Are you one?

The average person doesn't get mad when the rich buy a new yacht. What makes the average person furious is seeing the person in the grocery line buying steak and paying with an EBT card. What brings on blind rage is getting their phone stolen not a corporate merger.

I was a lawyer for many years. I know what corporate personhood is. They are legal persons. It's not going to change because ignorance only gets you so far.

While it's correct to recognize that pitchforks are being dusted off, the mistake is in imagining that those pitchforks will be used on the wealthy. Every indication is that those pitchforks will be used on you, by your neighbor.

I sure would like to know what these "pitchforks" would look like, specifically, but specifics are not readily available here.

Perhaps they mean real pitchforks and murder.
I'm sure that's your real problem, Pluto.
"Political usage[edit]
Because of its association with peasantry, the pitchfork is often a populist symbol and part of the nickname of populist leaders, thus:

"The Gangster Disciples, a street gang in the midwestern United States, use a three-pointed pitchfork as one of their symbols."

You obsess over symbols because the substance of the discussion is over your head.

Pitchfork - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

he average person doesn't get mad when the rich buy a new yacht. What makes the average person furious is seeing the person in the grocery line buying steak and paying with an EBT card. What brings on blind rage is getting their phone stolen not a corporate merger.
Define "average." Maybe those you know are more concerned about parents buying steaks for their children with an EBT card than with parasites buying Yachts with their Wall Street bonus money, but thinking citizens recognize which is greatest threat to their standard of living and their republic.

I sure would like to know what these "pitchforks" would look like, specifically, but specifics are not readily available here.

Perhaps they mean real pitchforks and murder.
I'm sure that's your real problem, Pluto.
"Political usage[edit]
Because of its association with peasantry, the pitchfork is often a populist symbol and part of the nickname of populist leaders, thus:

"The Gangster Disciples, a street gang in the midwestern United States, use a three-pointed pitchfork as one of their symbols."

You obsess over symbols because the substance of the discussion is over your head.

Pitchfork - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
Symbols? Actually, I asked for specifics.

And you keep avoiding. Several posts now and you keep avoiding. You could have just answered the question.

That's okay, I'm used to it here.

he average person doesn't get mad when the rich buy a new yacht. What makes the average person furious is seeing the person in the grocery line buying steak and paying with an EBT card. What brings on blind rage is getting their phone stolen not a corporate merger.
Define "average." Maybe those you know are more concerned about parents buying steaks for their children with an EBT card than with parasites buying Yachts with their Wall Street bonus money, but thinking citizens recognize which is greatest threat to their standard of living and their republic.
You can have all the delusions you want. There is some serious conflict brewing and none of it has anything to do with the rich.

I'm happy to answer your questions, even though you won't answer mine.
Because you pretend confusion over the populist interpretation of "pitchfork?" If you want serious answers, ask serious questions instead of deflecting from the substance of the thread.
"Dear 1%ers, many of our fellow citizens are starting to believe that capitalism itself is the problem. I disagree, and I’m sure you do too.

"Capitalism, when well managed, is the greatest social technology ever invented to create prosperity in human societies.

"But capitalism left unchecked tends toward concentration and collapse.

"It can be managed either to benefit the few in the near term or the many in the long term.

"The work of democracies is to bend it to the latter.

"That is why investments in the middle class work.

"And tax breaks for rich people like us don’t.

"Balancing the power of workers and billionaires by raising the minimum wage isn’t bad for capitalism.

"It’s an indispensable tool smart capitalists use to make capitalism stable and sustainable. And no one has a bigger stake in that than zillionaires like us."

Read more: The Pitchforks Are Coming For Us Plutocrats - Nick Hanauer - POLITICO Magazine

I'm happy to answer your questions, even though you won't answer mine.
Because you pretend confusion over the populist interpretation of "pitchfork?" If you want serious answers, ask serious questions instead of deflecting from the substance of the thread.
"Dear 1%ers, many of our fellow citizens are starting to believe that capitalism itself is the problem. I disagree, and I’m sure you do too.

"Capitalism, when well managed, is the greatest social technology ever invented to create prosperity in human societies.

"But capitalism left unchecked tends toward concentration and collapse.

"It can be managed either to benefit the few in the near term or the many in the long term.

"Balancing the power of workers and billionaires by raising the minimum wage isn’t bad for capitalism.

"It’s an indispensable tool smart capitalists use to make capitalism stable and sustainable. And no one has a bigger stake in that than zillionaires like us."

Read more: The Pitchforks Are Coming For Us Plutocrats - Nick Hanauer - POLITICO Magazine
Actually, I understand perfectly what it means in general. But you refuse to provide examples of your point. Wouldn't that be an interesting conversation?

Several posts now, and you still avoid.

While it's correct to recognize that pitchforks are being dusted off, the mistake is in imagining that those pitchforks will be used on the wealthy. Every indication is that those pitchforks will be used on you, by your neighbor.

Some people don't understand that regardless their hatred for the wealthy ... The rich can watch it all on pay-per-view.
The days when the wealthy could be caught off guard without the means and wherewithal to escape have long passed.

There is always some place willing to trade wealth for protection ... And the wealthy can watch us duke it out while sipping martinis on a beach in the Caribbean.

You can have all the delusions you want. There is some serious conflict brewing and none of it has anything to do with the rich.
It has everything to do with the rich and the control 0.1% of voters have over government.
"Wealth inequality in the US is at near record levels according to a new study by academics. Over the past three decades, the share of household wealth owned by the top 0.1% has increased from 7% to 22%.

"For the bottom 90% of families, a combination of rising debt, the collapse of the value of their assets during the financial crisis, and stagnant real wages have led to the erosion of wealth."
US wealth inequality - top 0.1 worth as much as the bottom 90 Business The Guardian

Actually, I understand perfectly what it means in general. But you refuse to provide examples of your point. Wouldn't that be an interesting conversation?
If you had the slightest intention of contributing to an "interesting conversation" you would have read the examples in the OP link. But I'm sure deflection comes easier to you.

If you had the slightest intention of contributing to an "interesting conversation" you would have read the examples in the OP link. But I'm sure deflection comes easier to you.
My apologies for asking for your personal opinion and original thinking.

I won't make that mistake again.

Wealth_line-chart.svg

As Hanauer points out in the OP, many of his fellow plutocrats didn't notice when Occupy and similar protests in the wake of Wall Street's most recent plundering of the US economy in 2008 shifted US debate from death panels and debt ceilings to inequality.

"But capitalism left unchecked tends toward concentration and collapse. It can be managed either to benefit the few in the near term or the many in the long term.

Forum List

Back