The Recovery Thread

This is one of my favourite indices. It is an index of 22 economic indicators. It is indicating that growth, after being fairly strong the past while, has stalled.

CCIEM100622.png

As I have said, I believe that this recovery is going to be choppy. We are now in the "choppy" phase.

Why not post this one Toro?
m3_plus_credit.png

Because I'm not sure how relevant it is.

What that tells me is that intra-bank lending has fallen. Much of the M3 created during the 00s was merely financial paper that circulated amongst the banks, which had little if any real value. M3 includes repos and other intra-bank lending. A collapse in the credit markets would intuitively lead to declines in monetary aggregates, particularly those traded amongst the leveraged financial sector. Since much of the shadow banking system was funded in the intra-bank lending market, and since the shadow banking system has imploded, one would expect M3 to fall.

Here is M2, which includes currency, reserves, savings and checking deposits, and money market accounts, which probably is more relevant to the real economy.

fredgraph.png
I disagree, M3 offers a fuller view of the monetary picture, especially when we are experiencing deflation.

The Fed has created $1.5 Trillions of new money , central banks around the world have offered unlimited cost free credit. Governments are spending like mad. So we should be feeling inflation, right? Except we aren't. M3 is contracting at the fastest rate since the 1930's (9.3% annualized). The stock market is lower than it was 10 years ago. PPI and CPI have a zero rate of change. People are struggling to get anyone to part with a dollar. They can't get loans, they can't sell their houses and they can't land a job.

i think too many implications are being read into this particular stat, zander. i think the M3 anomaly is a reflection of the deflation in real estate and consumer debt assets. they're not getting traded, dragging their value down. they're not collecting their credits, dragging their value down. assets are getting reassumed by banks from repos all the way up to TARP, dragging their value down.

deflation is entrenched - but mainly in these specific areas. no amount of quantitative easing will stop the cycle itself, although it can certainly keep it from dragging as heavily on the rest of the economy.

There are far too many "exogenous" factors being ignored here.

Fixed income securities have no where to go but down.

Sovereign debt is a problem not just in the EU but also the Far East and the larger blue states.

Real estate has not yet hit the bottom of rents exceeding house payments in most metropolitan areas.

The captialization of the stock market has not reverted to the mean since it first exceeded GDP in 1995. Treating 50-60% of GDP as average capitalization for the past 120 years means that the market would have to decline to less than 1K on the Dow for a true bottom to form.

My conclusion is that the economy as a whole is in a bear rally.

Because I'm not sure how relevant it is.

What that tells me is that intra-bank lending has fallen. Much of the M3 created during the 00s was merely financial paper that circulated amongst the banks, which had little if any real value. M3 includes repos and other intra-bank lending. A collapse in the credit markets would intuitively lead to declines in monetary aggregates, particularly those traded amongst the leveraged financial sector. Since much of the shadow banking system was funded in the intra-bank lending market, and since the shadow banking system has imploded, one would expect M3 to fall.

Here is M2, which includes currency, reserves, savings and checking deposits, and money market accounts, which probably is more relevant to the real economy.

fredgraph.png
I disagree, M3 offers a fuller view of the monetary picture, especially when we are experiencing deflation.

The Fed has created $1.5 Trillions of new money , central banks around the world have offered unlimited cost free credit. Governments are spending like mad. So we should be feeling inflation, right? Except we aren't. M3 is contracting at the fastest rate since the 1930's (9.3% annualized). The stock market is lower than it was 10 years ago. PPI and CPI have a zero rate of change. People are struggling to get anyone to part with a dollar. They can't get loans, they can't sell their houses and they can't land a job.

i think too many implications are being read into this particular stat, zander. i think the M3 anomaly is a reflection of the deflation in real estate and consumer debt assets. they're not getting traded, dragging their value down. they're not collecting their credits, dragging their value down. assets are getting reassumed by banks from repos all the way up to TARP, dragging their value down.

deflation is entrenched - but mainly in these specific areas. no amount of quantitative easing will stop the cycle itself, although it can certainly keep it from dragging as heavily on the rest of the economy.

That is the theory, but more "monetization" is starting to become less and less likely as Fed governors are already felling uneasy about it. At some point they are going to say NO.

The deflation spiral is almost impossible to stop once it begins. Social mood has already turned negative, Obama is viewed as incompetent, the banks are a wreck, and the citizens of this country are not going to allow another bailout. I believe that the massive drop in M3 is a serious warning sign. If I am wrong, great. We'll experience a "Choppy" period. But if I am correct, we are looking at a severe double dip.

Trust me, it does not make me happy.....:sad:

That is the theory, but more "monetization" is starting to become less and less likely as Fed governors are already felling uneasy about it. At some point they are going to say NO.

The deflation spiral is almost impossible to stop once it begins. Social mood has already turned negative, Obama is viewed as incompetent, the banks are a wreck, and the citizens of this country are not going to allow another bailout. I believe that the massive drop in M3 is a serious warning sign. If I am wrong, great. We'll experience a "Choppy" period. But if I am correct, we are looking at a severe double dip.

its like the alamo, but with an ammo shortage.

stagflation from a credit crunch is possible. it is also possible that cash may circumvent that. we're seeing sectors of the economy which aren't getting dragged on so hard. can they carry the burden of the deflation at the other end of the performance spectrum?

its like the alamo, but with an ammo shortage.

stagflation from a credit crunch is possible. it is also possible that cash may circumvent that. we're seeing sectors of the economy which aren't getting dragged on so hard. can they carry the burden of the deflation at the other end of the performance spectrum?

We can only hope that is the case.

OK Time to revive this thread.

I've been skeptical of the recovery as of late, and have the bruises to prove it, having been beaten like a dog being short for the first part of September, which has turned out to be the best September in over 70 years. I'm still skeptical, given the awful data coming from the Fed regional surveys, but one must be open-minded and conclude that one might be wrong.

I try to look for contrarian ideas and scenarios, and maybe the most contrarian notion out there is that job growth is strong. Here is one take on strong job growth.

Payroll employment data from the establishment survey show employment growth in the private sector of less than 100,000 per month this year, leading to the conclusion that the economy is growing too slowly to reduce unemployment. In contrast the data from the less publicized household survey show employment in the private sector growing this year at almost 300,000 per month. Last month it soared 891,000 thousand.

As noted before in [Employment is Rising Fast] around economic turning point the household data are more reliable and usually lead the establishment data. For example, in seven out of eight turning points associated with the last four recessions — four downturns around the beginning of the recessions and four upturns around the ends of the recessions and the beginning of the recoveries — the peaks and troughs of the household employment data preceded the corresponding peaks and troughs of the establishment employment data.

Still, to lend credence to the private sector employment data from the household survey and particularly the outstanding figure for August, it might be useful to look for other, indirectly supporting data. In very general terms such data are also supportive of the notion of improved employment gains in August. Thus, the Challenger job cuts figures show a significant drop in August to a new post- recession low. Similarly, according to the Conference Board, the number of new online help wanted ads, marked a new post- recession high in August. Some weekly data also point in the same direction, including the un-interrupted downtrend of initial unemployment claims, from its peak in mid-August to a low in mid – September. All in all it appears that the data are what they are and not a fluke.

Mike Astrachan Follow up: Employment Is Growing Fast

I PMed you on this subject before you posted I am heading to the gym now but I should be back online in about 45 minutes. Please do not quote from the PM.

Payroll employment data from the establishment survey show employment growth in the private sector of less than 100,000 per month this year, leading to the conclusion that the economy is growing too slowly to reduce unemployment. In contrast the data from the less publicized household survey show employment in the private sector growing this year at almost 300,000 per month. Last month it soared 891,000 thousand.

Here is the data Employment Situation Summary Table A. Household data, seasonally adjusted

Where does it say that employment soared by 891K?

Here is the data Employment Situation Summary Table A. Household data, seasonally adjusted

Where does it say that employment soared by 891K?

Good question. The data from that table is total employment. The 891k is private employment. I checked the links for a few minutes but couldn't find it.

the data in that table is "Civilian noninstitutional population" Is that different than private employment?

FWIW the BLS data also in no way supports the claim that the household survey indicates a 300K/month employment increase in the Civilian noninstitutional population.

FWIW the BLS data also in no way supports the claim that the household survey indicates a 300K/month employment increase in the Civilian noninstitutional population.
Oh yeah, data verification is a pain in the butt. My guess would be that the number is some sort of gross hires numbers rather than net hires. A guy who lasts a week at his new job would be counted in gross hires but not net hires.

here is the data from the household survey:

Employment Situation Summary Table A. Household data, seasonally adjusted

and from the monthly report of the BLS

Employment Situation Summary

If you can find data to support either of these claims please do.
I was saying he was taking data from some irrelevant column that had nothing to do with the question at hand which irrelevant column doesn't matter to me. Whether it is the household survey which undercounts unemployment or the birth/death survey which overcounts job creation as far as I'm concerned the L in BLS is superfluous.

In unemployment numbers an honest count should result in the second significant number being 1-4 about half the time according to number theory and you can verify this with a logarithm scale where X.1-4 is about half the scale when you account for rounding. In UE numbers, particularly annual numbers, X.5 and X.9 account for about half of all annual unemployment numbers that the BLS endorsed for inclusion in "Historical Statistics of the United States" Arguing from or about BLS numbers is a waste of time.

Forum List

Back