The So-And-So Vote

You can blame the voters for group think, but have you considered the rhetoric of the candidates? They speak of the rights of homosexuals to marry, women to have the right to control their own bodies, Blacks to behave and accept police tactics for their own good, immigrants have been called rapists and murderers, the poor are called lazy.
right to control their own bodies = like forcing your employer to pay for it?
we all need to behave. Especially the urban areas
Police tactics are for their own good. Police protect the general welfare, not individual welfare.
*some illegals have been called
Some poor people are lazy. Poor people can get free education and all kinds of shit. No excuse.
You not only missed the point but seek to drag this particular discussion down a primrose path of stupidity.

The. OP seeks to blame the voters for being lumped into groups for electoral purposes. I manta in that divisive, paranoid, fear mongeing candidates lump groups together in order to appeal to bitter, rowdy, unthinking partisans.

The OP doesn't really "blame" anyone because it's human nature. As I said, no matter who you are or which side politically, you vote for the politician who is going to "do something for you." Even if all that amounts to is speaking out on the awfulness of your plight and need for something to be done. More and more people keep going to Washington in order to use their power to take money from the taxpayer or power from the individual and "do for" someone or something. The monster must continually be fed. Each cycle, more politicians step up and have to promise something new, "do something for" somebody to win their vote.

Over time, this builds up into a massive over-bloated Federal bureaucracy drowning in endless debt... but still... the promising politicians come and they need to get elected. I think this was the major concern of Madison and others, that governments naturally grow bigger and remove individual liberty in the process.

Who's to blame? It's not a matter of finding blame, it's a matter of thought process.

If you talk about [fill in the blank] as a group, then you are affecting the votes you will get from that group. This needs to be explained to you? Really?

The only politicians I see grouping people and talking about them are Democrats. The only place we find a political party pandering to every group is the Democrat party. And it's usually the Democrats who are concerned with the [so-and-so] vote.

We've got to stop thinking in terms of what a politician can do for MY group. Our nation cannot function trying to appease every group. Your group is no more important than many other groups out there so why do they deserve to be lifted up on a pedestal?

Now you reeled off a bunch of RHETORIC about homosexuals, blacks and Muslims but there are no politicians out there saying the stuff you claim... those are your characterizations created to appeal to those "groups" in order to win their support. It's bad that we've become such a selfish nation that we're only concerned with our own self interest or the interests involving our "groups" but you have made a political career out of exploiting that element of human nature.

I get so tired of hearing about how a candidate "can't win the [fill in blank] vote!" That somehow, we all belong to a certain voting bloc and we simply lack the intelligence to vote differently from the rest of our sheep herd. It seems to be primarily based on whatever said candidate "is going to do for" the certain group. When did we become a nation that plays favorites according to groups? I really though that was what Civil Rights was all about... equality for all. Yet now, apparently you have to put one group's interests above all others in order to win their collective vote. So not only do the politicians have a discriminatory mind set, the entire demographic of the group does as well.

It highlights the REAL problem in American politics today, and frankly, in modern history. Each election, regardless of who we are or who we support, we go to the polls and vote for a politician who promises to use the power of government in order to "do something for us!" This means, expanding government, spending more tax dollars, passing more legislation, growing the Federal leviathan. And it's never-ending. We just keep repeating this cycle after cycle, year after year. It's no wonder we find ourselves in debt up to our eyeballs.

At some point, we are going to have to face reality and understand that we can't continue doing this. Instead of looking at what a candidate is going to "do for us" we are going to have to consider what the candidate can do to make our country better. That might mean NOT doing stuff for us. It most certainly will have to mean not doing things for certain groups just to win their votes. It definitely means not doing stuff for special interests and big money donors. We've got to break this habit we're in and come back to reality at some point or we're going to bankrupt our nation trying to appease all the different demographics.

We hear a lot of talk about greed but this is the epitome of greed, our very nature and how we base our votes. We have become conditioned to voting for our own personal interests over the interests of our nation and that needs to change. We need to realize the problem before we can fix it and unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people are prepared to realize the problem.

There's nothing a monkey likes better than belonging to a group. But yeah, I totally hear you. "All blacks support the democratic party!" "All hispanics lean democrat!". "All people in support of green energy lean left."

It's why they keep having trouble predicting elections. Though, there is one issue that can be predicted to really rake in the votes...and the spoils go to the party who figures out what it is and what the vast majority of the public are privately, and strongly, feeling about it..

I get so tired of hearing about how a candidate "can't win the [fill in blank] vote!" That somehow, we all belong to a certain voting bloc and we simply lack the intelligence to vote differently from the rest of our sheep herd. It seems to be primarily based on whatever said candidate "is going to do for" the certain group. When did we become a nation that plays favorites according to groups? I really though that was what Civil Rights was all about... equality for all. Yet now, apparently you have to put one group's interests above all others in order to win their collective vote. So not only do the politicians have a discriminatory mind set, the entire demographic of the group does as well.

It highlights the REAL problem in American politics today, and frankly, in modern history. Each election, regardless of who we are or who we support, we go to the polls and vote for a politician who promises to use the power of government in order to "do something for us!" This means, expanding government, spending more tax dollars, passing more legislation, growing the Federal leviathan. And it's never-ending. We just keep repeating this cycle after cycle, year after year. It's no wonder we find ourselves in debt up to our eyeballs.

At some point, we are going to have to face reality and understand that we can't continue doing this. Instead of looking at what a candidate is going to "do for us" we are going to have to consider what the candidate can do to make our country better. That might mean NOT doing stuff for us. It most certainly will have to mean not doing things for certain groups just to win their votes. It definitely means not doing stuff for special interests and big money donors. We've got to break this habit we're in and come back to reality at some point or we're going to bankrupt our nation trying to appease all the different demographics.

We hear a lot of talk about greed but this is the epitome of greed, our very nature and how we base our votes. We have become conditioned to voting for our own personal interests over the interests of our nation and that needs to change. We need to realize the problem before we can fix it and unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people are prepared to realize the problem.

H.L. Mencken called elections "a present auction of future goods."

We felt the need to give every dumbass the right to vote... While it goes against the very definition of a Republic, the point stands...

Yep
The Founders had it right, only those who had skin in the game could vote.

WHITE skin. Gotta give it to those founders, right?

Every American has "skin in the game" and wanting to restrict the right to vote to people who can PAY to do it, is fucked up beyond belief.

Homeless people have the right to vote. I hope that annoys the shit out of ya'll.

We felt the need to give every dumbass the right to vote... While it goes against the very definition of a Republic, the point stands...

Yep

Every American has "skin in the game" and wanting to restrict the right to vote to people who can PAY to do it, is fucked up beyond belief.

Homeless people have the right to vote. I hope that annoys the shit out of ya'll.
Black people voted when only people that voted had "skin in the game" try your racist fallacy somewhere else.
No, Americans don't have "skin in the game" when they don't contribute. They are just along for the ride.
Im not saying we should strip the right away from people, I am saying it never should have changed.

Yep

Black people and women who owned property were able to vote.
No people who don't pay taxes do not have skin in the game.
And whether you like it or not the Founders set things up to help get rid of slavery and to have the slave states not have power to rule over the rest of the states who abolished slavery.

Yep

Black people voted when only people that voted had "skin in the game" try your racist fallacy somewhere else.
No, Americans don't have "skin in the game" when they don't contribute. They are just along for the ride.
Im not saying we should strip the right away from people, I am saying it never should have changed.

I actually liked Walter E. Williams suggestion that we base votes on taxes paid. The more tax you pay the more votes you get. That's how corporations are run everyday. The biggest stockholders get the most votes in the boardroom.

Yep

Only property owners should be able to vote? Interesting.

From what I can tell from reading on here, it is those that vote for the Republicans who seem to have struggled the most for the past 10 to 12 years or so.

Those on the right seem to be those that have lost the most; lost their jobs, their savings and in most importantly, they lost their properties.

Which without a property, means they couldnt vote.

You sure this is a good idea?

On another topic. Isnt having just property owners voting the exact thing tho OP was so concerned about; lumping voters into catagories?

How do you figure that? If a citizen or group of citizens is a net receiver of government largess they are incentivized to vote themselves more goodies and/or protect the ones they are getting at the expense of other citizens, they have little incentive to promote the general welfare and a very strong incentive to protect and promote their own; that's not "skin in the game" that is using your "vote" in order loot the rest of society.

The above situation partially explains why the lions share of government subsidies go to people that are NOT "poor" (82 cents of every dollar last time I looked) and that doesn't even include the indirect subsidies that the ultra rich and well connected derive from the distribution effects of inflation.

"Skin in the game" means that you are exposed to the actual consequences of your decisions, including the negative ones.

Yep

You'll have to try that one again in English, Skeeter.

Yes, they still do. Policy decisions still affect their lives whether they've paid Federal taxes or not. Retired military personnel don't pay Federal income taxes...you going to deny them the right to vote?

So only white, landowning males could vote. Yeah, I'm sure you'd like it to still be that way.

GOP: Why can't we attract minority voters?

Yep

Black people and women who owned property were able to vote.
No people who don't pay taxes do not have skin in the game.
And whether you like it or not the Founders set things up to help get rid of slavery and to have the slave states not have power to rule over the rest of the states who abolished slavery.

That's not how the founders set it up. That's the system you were touting, the one the founders set up where only white landowning males could vote.

Yes, people who don't pay taxes are still affected by decisions made by their representatives. It's beyond ludicrous to claim otherwise. Oh, and everyone pays taxes. Some people, like military retirees and poor people don't pay Federal income taxes. They still pay taxes.

Yep

I actually liked Walter E. Williams suggestion that we base votes on taxes paid. The more tax you pay the more votes you get. That's how corporations are run everyday. The biggest stockholders get the most votes in the boardroom.

Yeah, 'cause buying votes, that's a democracy.

Yep

Yeah, 'cause buying votes, that's a democracy.

Yes that is what the far left thinks by promising FREE stuff. It is what you vote for without question or hesitation..

Now we go to taxes paid to vote eh?

A billioniare uses off shore tax schemes to avoid paying taxes. Do they get to vote?

Corporations are people. How many votes do they get?

Will voting be based on true taxable income. Or on adjusted gross?

If I qualify to get all my taxes paid back in the form of a tax refund, do I get to vote?

Does a billioniare count more that a millioniare who counts more than a 999,999 dollar earner who counts more than a sub 100k earner etc.

Flesh out the details of this exciting new tax plan.. What are the brackets and how many votes does each income category get?

Yep

You'll have to try that one again in English, Skeeter.

Yes, they still do. Policy decisions still affect their lives whether they've paid Federal taxes or not. Retired military personnel don't pay Federal income taxes...you going to deny them the right to vote?

So only white, landowning males could vote. Yeah, I'm sure you'd like it to still be that way.

GOP: Why can't we attract minority voters?
Yea, only white people own land. Racist fuck

Forum List

Back