The South's Last, Desperate Stand

When people can choose the color of their skin, you might have a point. Oh wait, in the age of liberalism, they probably can.

Mark

Blacks were not denied Civil Marriage - nothing denied based on the color of their skin.

Whites were not denied Civil Marriage - nothing denied based on the color of their skin.

The behavior of choosing someone with a different skin color was considered a sexual deviancy though.

>>>>
No, it wasn't. People were afraid the races would mix, and that is why it was illegal.

Mark

Actually, it was both.

Other psychologists turned to Fruedian explanations for interracial marriage, accepting , as many post war analysts did, a modern view that sex "expressed one's deepest sense of self". An interest in interracial sex was read as evidence of sexual deviancy or dysfunction. The psychiatrist George Little, writing in the 1942 issue of Psychoanalytic Review theorized that since blacks served as a "sexual symbol in the white man's life," whites who had difficulty functioning sexually might seek a black mate. An '"impotent man seeking a super-heated embrace in the hope of being able to accomplish the sexual act" might well marry a Negro, Little argued, as might a white woman of the "Messalina type" (Messalina was a Roman empress notorious for her sexual profligacy who was executed by her husband, the emperor Claudius). The psychiatrist Robert Seidenberg, meanwhile, believed that interracial sex provided a unique opportunity for whites to satisfy their incestuous urges through sex with someone unrecognizable as a father or mother figure.

Race Mixing: Black-White Marriage in Postwar America

Race Mixing

From your link:

The psychiatrist George Little, writing in the 1942 issue of Psychoanalytic Review theorized that since blacks served as a "sexual symbol in the white man's life," whites who had difficulty functioning sexually might seek a black mate

In a case like this, it would be a deviancy. However, sex between to well adjusted adults would not be considered a deviancy. Anything can be a deviancy, depending on the circumstance.

With interest in interracial sex being evidence of deviancy and dysfunction. With interracial sex being offered as evidence of everything from impotence to incestuous urges.

Yes, interracial sex was considered an act of sexual deviancy in the past. In the lifetime of millions of folks living now.

Hint: almost all men are not monogamous by nature.

And? the gays never intended to be monogamous, or even to try to be. It amazes me that people wanted to give them the right to marry while the entire time, the gays were thumbing their nose at the very institution they were trying to enter.

Mark

Some gay people are monogamous and some are not. I've been with my husband for almost 15 years and I am still relatively young. Besides, we don't base access to marriage in country on the promiscuity of others.

We don't? Then marriage is just a word. If marriage can mean anything, it can mean nothing. And THAT my friends is how gay marriage can destroy your marriage, or someone like you.

BTW, quite a few gays describe monogamy as coming home to the same partner every night, while sleeping around when they want to. Is this your definition as well?

Mark

That's a nonsense argument, contradicted by the very concept of language itself. The idea that unless a term is innate, immutable and can never change, it has no meaning is pure nonsense. The meaning of terms change all the time. Yet they have meaning......contextual to the era and culture they're used in.

Telling someone you're going to put a 'fag in your mouth' will have very different meanings in the UK than in the US.

Some gay people are monogamous and some are not. I've been with my husband for almost 15 years and I am still relatively young. Besides, we don't base access to marriage in country on the promiscuity of others.

We don't? Then marriage is just a word. If marriage can mean anything, it can mean nothing. And THAT my friends is how gay marriage can destroy your marriage, or someone like you.

BTW, quite a few gays describe monogamy as coming home to the same partner every night, while sleeping around when they want to. Is this your definition as well?

Mark

If your marriage can be destroyed by the actions of the others than perhaps you spend more time your worrying about your marriage instead of mine.

No, that isn't my opinion in the least. I am wonderfully happy with my husband.

Data shows that marriages were destroyed by making divorce more society friendly.

Do you disagree with that?

Mark

How does another couple getting a divorce effect your marriage? Hint: It doesn't. We are not going to stop gays from marrying b/c heterosexuals started divorcing each other more frequently.

Of course it does. Unless you have another explanation, it is rather obvious, is it not?

Mark

Then explain how it does effect your marriage? Be specific. The couple down the street just recently got a divorce and it didn't have one iota of effect on my marriage. I think you are just looking for lame excuses to deny gays access to marriage.

Mark, words' meanings change over time, culture, eras. Abraham had multiple wives and concubines. So did Solomon. David's marriages and their offspring nearly cost him his kingdom.

What we consider marriage in the Native Americans was often plural marriage. Same with the Vikings, etc.

You have not, Mark, answered how LGBT marriage hurts your marriage.

Okay, so I'm missing something.

Has someone convinced him this is going to work?

I bet when it comes to the 2A, he's very "pro-Constitution".
Yep. But, if "rights" are your litmus test, then you SHOULD NOT DENY any form of marriage you can think of.

So, are you for "anything goes"?

If not, you are EXACTLY the same as I am, only with a slightly different moral code.

Mark

I'm for anything goes... as long as it's A) consenting adults and B) isn't between people who are already directly related.

The first is simple, a minor can't consent to marriage, the second is mainly for biological reasons but also that people who are directly related, (ie brother, sister, mother, father etc) shouldn't need to get married for any reason anyway.

So, your "morals" won't allow you to condone marriage to a minor?

Tell me, what the right age for marriage is?

Amazing that society can put constraints on people to buttress what you believe, but when other try to do it, they are called bigots.

Mark

We place many restraints on minors. Why? Because they haven't learned enough to make good choices.

We don't let people drive until a certain age. We don't let them drink or smoke until a certain age. We don't allow them to work or join the military until a certain age.

Are you all for allowing kids to do what the hell they like before they're ready to make such decisions?

Personally I've seen people who go married you, or who had kids young, and not one of them is with their original partner.

Someone please explain how gay marriage is a threat to traditional marriage. Why should a heterosexual married christian marriage be worried about it?

Gay marriage has been legal in Massachusetts since 2004. It has spread to the rest of the nation since then.

In the bush boy years the conservatives said it harmed heterosexual marriage. However didn't say how.

I'm still waiting for a heterosexual couple to come forward to tell our nation that gay marriage has harmed their marriage, tell how it harmed their marriage with honest and credible proof of their claims.

I'm sure I'll be waiting for a very long time.
There will be no proof. They say that 3000 people a year die from second hand smoke, and yet it cannot be proven. You won't find "second hand smoke" on any death certificate.

However, when someone says that "it will not affect my marriage", well, thats a fallacy. As a society, any change in norms affects the body. When society made divorce "mainstream", every couple in America could have stated that it "doesn't affect their marriage".

However, we did discover(thru a skyrocketing divorce rate) that it did indeed affect SOMEONE'S marriage.

So, your claim is wrong.

Mark

Divorce could affect people's marriage because suddenly they have a get out clause. It doesn't necessarily mean that this made their marriage any worse or not. The problem would still be with the interaction between two people.

However gay marriage doesn't affect anyone's marriage who is straight. How could it? If a man were going to leave his wife to be with another man, he could do so without gay marriage or with gay marriage.

I have already given possibilities in this thread. I'm not the fastest typist, so I would rather not repeat myself.

Mark

Fine, however you made the effort to type this...... so I won't bother either.

From your link:

The psychiatrist George Little, writing in the 1942 issue of Psychoanalytic Review theorized that since blacks served as a "sexual symbol in the white man's life," whites who had difficulty functioning sexually might seek a black mate

In a case like this, it would be a deviancy. However, sex between to well adjusted adults would not be considered a deviancy. Anything can be a deviancy, depending on the circumstance.

Mark

You still ignore your own definition: "Sexual excitement to the point of erection and/or orgasm, when the object of that excitement is considered abnormal in the context of the learned societal norms (paraphilia)."

A black man dipping his wick into a white woman was considered a sexual deviancy - at the time.

What you consider it now is irrelevant because, by your own definition, it is in the context of the societal norms - at the time.

>>>>

I will concede that interracial sex might have been considered deviant at one time. However, sex between a man and a woman is the most natural sex on earth.

Mark

Okay, so I'm missing something.

Has someone convinced him this is going to work?

I bet when it comes to the 2A, he's very "pro-Constitution".
Yep. But, if "rights" are your litmus test, then you SHOULD NOT DENY any form of marriage you can think of.

So, are you for "anything goes"?

If not, you are EXACTLY the same as I am, only with a slightly different moral code.

Mark

I'm for anything goes... as long as it's A) consenting adults and B) isn't between people who are already directly related.

The first is simple, a minor can't consent to marriage, the second is mainly for biological reasons but also that people who are directly related, (ie brother, sister, mother, father etc) shouldn't need to get married for any reason anyway.

So, your "morals" won't allow you to condone marriage to a minor?

Tell me, what the right age for marriage is?

Amazing that society can put constraints on people to buttress what you believe, but when other try to do it, they are called bigots.

Mark

We place many restraints on minors. Why? Because they haven't learned enough to make good choices.

We don't let people drive until a certain age. We don't let them drink or smoke until a certain age. We don't allow them to work or join the military until a certain age.

Are you all for allowing kids to do what the hell they like before they're ready to make such decisions?

Personally I've seen people who go married you, or who had kids young, and not one of them is with their original partner.

We also place many restraints on our adults. But, that isn't the point. Who decides who is a "minor"? Society does. We could make the age of adulthood for children around the time of puberty(around 12) to the time when science says a human brain is fully formed(age 26).

In essence, we place an arbitrary age on people to acknowledge them as an adult.

And since we do(and if you agree with it), you are a bigot.

And again(sigh) is that what I consider moral, you consider bigotry, but what you consider moral, is somehow more righteous than my beliefs.

You can't have it both ways. Either you RESPECT the morals of others, or you understand that you also push your righteousness onto others.

BTW, my grandma on one side married at 16, my grandma on the other side(and one of her daughters) married at 15. All stayed married.

Mark

Hint: almost all men are not monogamous by nature.

And? the gays never intended to be monogamous, or even to try to be. It amazes me that people wanted to give them the right to marry while the entire time, the gays were thumbing their nose at the very institution they were trying to enter.

Mark

Mark

That's a nonsense argument, contradicted by the very concept of language itself. The idea that unless a term is innate, immutable and can never change, it has no meaning is pure nonsense. The meaning of terms change all the time. Yet they have meaning......contextual to the era and culture they're used in.

Telling someone you're going to put a 'fag in your mouth' will have very different meanings in the UK than in the US.
Why is it nonsense?

Mark

If your marriage can be destroyed by the actions of the others than perhaps you spend more time your worrying about your marriage instead of mine.

No, that isn't my opinion in the least. I am wonderfully happy with my husband.

Data shows that marriages were destroyed by making divorce more society friendly.

Do you disagree with that?

Mark

How does another couple getting a divorce effect your marriage? Hint: It doesn't. We are not going to stop gays from marrying b/c heterosexuals started divorcing each other more frequently.

Of course it does. Unless you have another explanation, it is rather obvious, is it not?

Mark

Then explain how it does effect your marriage? Be specific. The couple down the street just recently got a divorce and it didn't have one iota of effect on my marriage. I think you are just looking for lame excuses to deny gays access to marriage.

Did you read this thread? If you did, you would see that the acceptance of divorce caused them to spike. Questioning whether the relaxation of divorce laws harmed your individual marriage is irrelevant. Did it erode marriage in society?

Yes or no?

Mark

Did you read this thread? If you did, you would see that the acceptance of divorce caused them to spike. Questioning whether the relaxation of divorce laws harmed your individual marriage is irrelevant. Did it erode marriage in society?

Yes or no?

Mark

The only reason you believe it to be irrelevant is b/c another couple getting a divorce, or married, doesn't have any effect on your marriage. Just like gay marriage doesn't have any effect on your marriage. Besides, heterosexuals getting a divorce isn't a very compelling reason to deny gays access to marriage, it's just a lame excuse.

We place many restraints on minors. Why? Because they haven't learned enough to make good choices...We don't let people drive until a certain age. We don't let them drink or smoke until a certain age. We don't allow them to work or join the military until a certain age....Are you all for allowing kids to do what the hell they like before they're ready to make such decisions?

No, nobody, including minors, should make reckless binding decisions that could hurt minors. Which is exactly why infant-necessities & contract laws are so rock solid and unwavering. It was reckless to remove the reason for marriage over a thousand years ago (society acknowledging that kids statistically do best with a mother and father). It was reckless to bind children to a legal situation in which all hope of having both a mother and father was systematically removed...for life...a prison without the possibility of parole. Welcome to Obergefell, 2015...

Yes or no?

Mark

The only reason you believe it to be irrelevant is b/c another couple getting a divorce, or married, doesn't have any effect on your marriage. Just like gay marriage doesn't have any effect on your marriage. Besides, heterosexuals getting a divorce isn't a very compelling reason to deny gays access to marriage, it's just a lame excuse.

Its not my belief, it is simply a fact. If you cannot see it for what it is, then I cannot help you.

Again: Questioning whether the relaxation of divorce laws harmed your individual marriage is irrelevant. Did it erode marriage in society?

Yes or no?

Mark

Yes or no?

Mark

Its not my belief, it is simply a fact. If you cannot see it for what it is, then I cannot help you.

Again: Questioning whether the relaxation of divorce laws harmed your individual marriage is irrelevant. Did it erode marriage in society?

Yes or no?

Mark

No, you are citing your opinion and pretending it is fact as the marriage or divorce of another couple doesn't have any effect on your marriage.

If you were truly interested in curbing divorce you would be pushing to make divorce more difficult to obtain but all I see is whining about gay marriage.

Mark, that is not the OP.

Sil, as usual the facts do not support your opinion. Your silly anger reveals you know what I say is true.

The fact remains that LGBT marriage does not hurt straight marriage.

Your opinion is not fact.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back