Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
A friend of mine recently told me that Mormons believe that Jesus visited the Americas and the natives did not follow him. As punishment he turned the natives skin red.
Thanks for your question and please allow me to answer with more validity than any non-lds opinion on this subject.

Yes we do believe that Jesus came to the peoples living in America shortly after his resurrection. But contrary to what you may have heard, the people DID listen to him and were very sad to see him leave when he did. In fact, his coming and teachings led to a peace in the land which has never been seen since. It lasted over 200 years and was described as the happiest a people could ever have been. They thrived in this time but after 400 years the people had gradually fallen into apostacy and denied the Christ. They had become so wicked that they killed anyone who would not deny their belief in Christ.

Also contrary to what you've heard, this Utopian period was the time in which the curse of the "skin of blackness"was lifted from the Lamanite people. There is no more curse of the "skin of blackness" since that time and has never been associated with curse of the priesthood on people of African descent. Not to be confused.

Last edited:
The argument is about "pure and white" compared to "pure and delightsome." The change in these Book of Mormon terms have to with the coloring of the Lamanites and their wickedness. The second term replaced the first term after the 1978 announcement that all worthy blacks could hold the priesthood: that means they could have all of the work and blessings associated with a LDS temple.

Look the terms up and you will find plenty on it out in cyber land.

Jake the Book of Mormon has not undergone any changes on the subject. It still reads thus:
1 Nephi 5:21

21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Also of reference is Jacob Chapter 3 in which the prophet Jacob is chastising the Nephites for their racism:

5 Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our father—that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none, and there should not be whoredoms committed among them.
6 And now, this commandment they observe to keep; wherefore, because of this observance, in keeping this commandment, the Lord God will not destroy them, but will be merciful unto them; and one day they shall become a blessed people.
7 Behold, their husbands love their wives, and their wives love their husbands; and their husbands and their wives love their children; and their unbelief and their hatred towards you is because of the iniquity of their fathers; wherefore, how much better are you than they, in the sight of your great Creator?
8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.
9 Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, which is the word of God, that ye revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins; neither shall ye revile against them because of their filthiness; but ye shall remember your own filthiness, and remember that their filthiness came because of their fathers.

Last edited:
Mormonism and Black Skin

“But let them apostatize, and they will become gray-haired, wrinkled, and black, just like the Devil" (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 332

When Mormon missionaries come to the door of literally thousands of potential converts they will assure the unsuspecting that they represent "Jesus Christ" and are preaching His Gospel. However, that is not the case on many accounts.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) cannot escape their racist past. For nearly 150 years, the Mormon Church had taught that ALL blacks were cursed. Hence, a black Mormon male could not hold the highly regarded LDS Priesthood1 because of his dark skin. And since he could not hold this Priesthood, he could not enter the Mormon Temple. This doctrine in no way, shape, or form can be substantiated in Scripture. Only in the LDS scriptures does this racist doctrine exist.

The argument is about "pure and white" compared to "pure and delightsome." The change in these Book of Mormon terms have to with the coloring of the Lamanites and their wickedness. The second term replaced the first term after the 1978 announcement that all worthy blacks could hold the priesthood: that means they could have all of the work and blessings associated with a LDS temple.

Jake the Book of Mormon has not undergone any changes on the subject. It still reads thus:

21 And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Also of reference is Jacob Chapter 3 in which the prophet Jacob is chastising the Nephites for their racism:

5 Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our father—that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none, and there should not be whoredoms committed among them.
6 And now, this commandment they observe to keep; wherefore, because of this observance, in keeping this commandment, the Lord God will not destroy them, but will be merciful unto them; and one day they shall become a blessed people.
7 Behold, their husbands love their wives, and their wives love their husbands; and their husbands and their wives love their children; and their unbelief and their hatred towards you is because of the iniquity of their fathers; wherefore, how much better are you than they, in the sight of your great Creator?
8 O my brethren, I fear that unless ye shall repent of your sins that their skins will be whiter than yours, when ye shall be brought with them before the throne of God.
9 Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, which is the word of God, that ye revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins; neither shall ye revile against them because of their filthiness; but ye shall remember your own filthiness, and remember that their filthiness came because of their fathers.

Nice try, but you have not specifically addressed the changes and the reasons for it in the terms.

Shall we look at what your prophets in the 19th century had to say about it . . . hmmmm?

Mormonism and Black Skin

“But let them apostatize, and they will become gray-haired, wrinkled, and black, just like the Devil" (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 332

When Mormon missionaries come to the door of literally thousands of potential converts they will assure the unsuspecting that they represent "Jesus Christ" and are preaching His Gospel. However, that is not the case on many accounts.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) cannot escape their racist past. For nearly 150 years, the Mormon Church had taught that ALL blacks were cursed. Hence, a black Mormon male could not hold the highly regarded LDS Priesthood1 because of his dark skin. And since he could not hold this Priesthood, he could not enter the Mormon Temple. This doctrine in no way, shape, or form can be substantiated in Scripture. Only in the LDS scriptures does this racist doctrine exist.

Correction. It was not because of their black skin that they could not hold the priesthood. It was because of their lineage. The skin of blackness givent to them was a mark to help them deal with the environment God knew they would be living in for thousands of years. The Sun drenched land of Africa. Don't confuse the two. Lamanites were allowed to hold the priesthood in the book of Mormon despite their skin color. For them to have remained light skinned would have been most unconvenient in Africa.

Unpopular as it may sound here in the politically correct society we live in, nevertheless it is true.

Nice try, but you have not specifically addressed the changes and the reasons for it in the terms.

Shall we look at what your prophets in the 19th century had to say about it . . . hmmmm?

uhh... What changes? The book of mormon still reads white and delightsome. We're not hiding from that statement. It still talks about White skin being more desirable than black skin at that time. What are you talking about?

Mormonism and Black Skin

Correction. It was not because of their black skin that they could not hold the priesthood. It was because of their lineage. The skin of blackness givent to them was a mark to help them deal with the environment God knew they would be living in for thousands of years. The Sun drenched land of Africa. Don't confuse the two. Lamanites were allowed to hold the priesthood in the book of Mormon despite their skin color. For them to have remained light skinned would have been most unconvenient in Africa.

Unpopular as it may sound here in the politically correct society we live in, nevertheless it is true.

If you go this way, Truth, you are going to have to admit everything that Brother Brigham and Brother John and Brother Rudger taught about blacks. You can't cherry pick what you want. Be very careful about "pure and delightsome" and "white and delightsome."

Mormonism and Black Skin

If you go this way, Truth, you are going to have to admit everything that Brother Brigham and Brother John and Brother Rudger taught about blacks. You can't cherry pick what you want. Be very careful about "pure and delightsome" and "white and delightsome."

I'm quite sure I've been as thorough as I could ever have been on this subject since it's been coming up ad nauseum for over a year now. I'm not afraid of our prophet's words.

Sure, you are. But you will say what you always say. What a prophet says prophetically or authoritatively then is not prophesy or authority now. The LDS church has been very good at developing that defense the last 25 years.

I will give you a gimme: all this talk about the Book of Mormon and DNA and Lamanites and Lehi and narrow-geography and continental-geography and so forth and so on ad infinitum ad nauseum? The right answer is simple. The book purports to be a testimony of Jesus as the Christ, not a geography book.

Sure, you are. But you will say what you always say. What a prophet says prophetically or authoritatively then is not prophesy or authority now. The LDS church has been very good at developing that defense the last 25 years.

I will give you a gimme: all this talk about the Book of Mormon and DNA and Lamanites and Lehi and narrow-geography and continental-geography and so forth and so on ad infinitum ad nauseum? The right answer is simple. The book purports to be a testimony of Jesus as the Christ, not a geography book.

Of course it is not a geography lesson. What we think we know about geography is gathered from many writings which can be vague at times. Nevertheless, testimony is far more important than geography.

I'll say this about prophets. They're people, capable of sinning just like all of us. Were some of them racists? It's possible. But if there wasn't something repugnant about all of us; one may be a liar, a thief, a racist, a coward, etc, but all are children of God and can overcome such temptations.

There are no prophets without blemish....SURPRISE!!!!!!! So do prophets sometimes make erroneous statements or deeds. But definitely less frequently than others. By the Grace of Christ we can all be cleansed from our sins, and may we all focus on cleaning our inward vessels.

I am glad to see evangelicalism informing your understanding of grace and salvation.

I don't like doing this, but I will to folks who are simply trying to be awful to others. Hister, goodbye. You are on ignore. Irony informs me how amusing this is because I am not LDS.

I'm just trying to figure out why so many people think mormons are such douches. It's like trying to hate retarded people, it's hard because they're usually so nice.

Jake you might not be LDS, but you're squeezing your starfish so tight you have shit coming out your ears. Try to relax.

A guy who has been dead a long, long time.

Not too worry: I am sure his "for the dead" rituals have all been done.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back