Votes: 74 29.7%
  • Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
Hmm... it's been about 2 1/2 hours now. I guess that one stumped you. Let me know when you figure it out. Thanks. - J.

It's beyond understanding that mormons believe these tachings yet do not believe in the science of evolution.

I am a Mormon and I believe that evolution exists within a species. And until someone proves that one mammalian species ever evolved into 2 DISTINCTLY different species I will not believe it can happen.
8 Examples of Evolution in Action
LORDZB NOVEMBER 19, 2011
Check out our new companion site: KnowledgeNuts
Evolution is one of the greatest scientific discoveries of all time. Armed with the knowledge of the interconnectedness of all life on earth, biologists have made startling discoveries. There is so much evidence in favor of evolution, that arguing against it is like denying that there is a moon in the sky. Yet people do still actively deny evolution occurs. Speciation, the formation of a new species from an ancestor species, takes a very long time yet there are evolutionary steps which can be observed. Here are eight examples, amongst many, of evolution in action.8
The Peppered Moth
Peppered-Moth-Evolution-ScienceI’ll start this list with a classic example of evolution which can be found in many textbooks. Originally, the vast majority of peppered moths (Biston betularia) had a light, mottled coloring which was a good camouflage against predators. Before the industrial revolution, a uniformly dark variant of the peppered moth made up 2% of the species. After the industrial revolution, 95% of peppered moths showed this dark coloration. The best explanation as to why this change in the species occurred is that the light moths lost their advantage of camouflage as light surfaces were darkened by pollution, and so light moths were eaten more frequently by birds. The peppered moth as an example of evolution has been attacked recently, usually as to the cause of the shift in coloration, but the example still stands as a major shift in a species caused by mutations leading to variation and natural selection.7
Live Birth in Three-toed Skinks
The-Three-Toed-Skink-Saiphos-EqualisThe example of the peppered moth is a nice one for textbooks because it uses a single trait. Speciation involves many mutations leading to significant changes. The yellow bellied three-toed skink (Saiphos equalis) is a lizard of New South Wales, in Australia, that appears to be undergoing the change from laying eggs to live birth. Since these skinks can either lay eggs or give birth, it gives scientists the chance to study the adaptations necessary for live birth. Skink embryos encased in an egg have an extra source of calcium that the live born skinks lack. It turns out that this nutritional difference is made up by the mother secreting extra calcium for the young held inside her. This looks like the first step on the road to developing a system like the mammalian placenta. Skinks living on the coast tend to lay eggs, probably because the warm weather is predictable and sufficient for embryonic development. Those skinks living in the cooler mountains tend to give birth to live young, the mother’s body providing a more stable temperature. It is to be predicted that these two populations will at some point separate into different species as each population becomes fixed in its reproductive strategy. This brings up a common question in creationists – If man evolved from apes, why are there still apes? Well, with the skinks we would see two species formed, an egg laying and a live birthing species. Each would be best suited for their habitat. If live birthing skinks evolved from egg layers, why are there still egg layers? Because each is adapted for its niche.6
The Arms Race between Crabs and Mussels
Hemigrapsus SanguineusEvolution often happens in tandem; a predator evolves an improved hunting method, and any mutations in the prey species that aid survivability will be selected for leading to a change in the prey population. We do not have to wait for a predator to evolve to observe this, however; modern humans have been transporting species around the world, and thus we can observe new species interactions. The Asian shore crab (Hemigrapsus sanguineus) is an invasive species in New England which feeds on the native blue mussels. It has recently been observed that mussels, when they detect Asian shore crabs, develop thicker shells to stop the crabs eating them. This shell thickening behavior is costly to the mussels, and so is heavily regulated. The evolutionary factor here is that only mussels from regions where Asian shore crabs are endemic will thicken their walls when exposed to the crabs. Those mussels from other regions do not detect the crabs as a threat. Here we observe the starting shots in an evolutionary arms race.
8 Examples of Evolution in Action - Listverse

I am a Mormon and I believe that evolution exists within a species. And until someone proves that one mammalian species ever evolved into 2 DISTINCTLY different species I will not believe it can happen.

What kind of proof do you want? DNA evidence, paleontological evidence, and simple eyesight demonstrate that house cats and tigers have a common ancestor. Although tigers are many times larger and heavier than house cats, they look similar in ways that cannot be coincidental.

The same can be said of humans and chimpanzees. Chimpanzees have hands and finger prints. They even have some of the same blood types. Yes, that is right. Humans can take blood transfusions from chimpanzees and visa versa.

What kind of proof do you want? DNA evidence, paleontological evidence, and simple eyesight demonstrate that house cats and tigers have a common ancestor. Although tigers are many times larger and heavier than house cats, they look similar in ways that cannot be coincidental.

The same can be said of humans and chimpanzees. Chimpanzees have hands and finger prints. They even have some of the same blood types. Yes, that is right. Humans can take blood transfusions from chimpanzees and visa versa.
back in the 1920's and 30's several horror films were made with that as a plot line..the island of doctor moreau ..comes to mind..

here's a handy hint:the mormons do not drop you from their records for non participation.
to leave "the church" you must fill out some paperwork stating why you left..
and be subject to a church court.
talking about overreaching.
I left the "church" in 1975 and periodically over the years have had visits from elders and missionaries threatening or pleading with me to come back into the fold.
So typical of all totalitarian organizations -- from Stalin"s gulag to the sinister militarists ruling the US government.

Just as in Orwell's 1984, they will not leave you alone until you are bludgeoned into Praising Big Brother.

Imagine what the United States would be like under a totalitarian dictatorship with Mormonism as the established religion. :eek:

Mormonism and totalitarianism would reinforce each other. Mormons believe fanatically in factual assertions they do not question. A totalitarian dictator would benefit from this tendency.

At the same time Mormonism is vulnerable to a rational evaluation using facts that are not in serious dispute. A totalitarian dictatorship could suppress the propagation of those facts, and make it illegal and highly dangerous to question Mormon doctrines.

Such a dictator would have to control the internet. The internet is a great force for intellectual freedom. There is a lot of nonsense on the internet, but those with intelligent, questioning minds can sift between what is factual and what is not.

A problem with any kind of totalitarianism is that it impedes scientific inquiry. Scientific research is necessary to develop more advanced weapons. This is probably one of the reasons the Soviet Union fell.

Last edited:
here's a handy hint:the mormons do not drop you from their records for non participation.
to leave "the church" you must fill out some paperwork stating why you left..
and be subject to a church court.
talking about overreaching.
I left the "church" in 1975 and periodically over the years have had visits from elders and missionaries threatening or pleading with me to come back into the fold.
So typical of all totalitarian organizations -- from Stalin"s gulag to the sinister militarists ruling the US government.

Just as in Orwell's 1984, they will not leave you alone until you are bludgeoned into Praising Big Brother.

Imagine what the United States would be like under a totalitarian dictatorship with Mormonism as the established religion. :eek:

Mormonism and totalitarianism would reinforce each other. Mormons believe fanatically in factual assertions they do not question. A totalitarian dictator would benefit from this tendency.

At the same time Mormonism is vulnerable to a rational evaluation using facts that are not in serious dispute. A totalitarian dictatorship could suppress the propagation of those facts, and make it illegal and highly dangerous to question Mormon doctrines.

Such a dictator would have to control the internet. The internet is a great force for intellectual freedom. There is a lot of nonsense on the internet, but those with intelligent, questioning minds can sift between what is factual and what is not.

A problem with any kind of totalitarianism is that it impedes scientific inquiry. Scientific research is necessary to develop more advanced weapons. This is probably one of the reasons the Soviet Union fell.
any theocrasy would have the same effect..

To say that mormons follow the teachings of Jesus would be an oxymormonism.

Mormons follow Jesus as the son of God. They recognize he was sacrificed to save us all. We believe in the Holy Bible and it's teachings. Jesus was or is an Angel of God, he is the first "born" of God. God created Jesus first and delivered powers to him that other Angels do not have.

It is not my problem that you close minded bigots are so against a peaceful religion.

By the way? Cite for us any example of Mormons trying to take over the US and make it have a single religion. In fact cite for us any Christian religion in the US trying to establish a theocracy.

Just an aside Senator Reid is a Mormon.

Mormons follow Jesus as the son of God. They recognize he was sacrificed to save us all. We believe in the Holy Bible and it's teachings. Jesus was or is an Angel of God, he is the first "born" of God. God created Jesus first and delivered powers to him that other Angels do not have.

It is not my problem that you close minded bigots are so against a peaceful religion.

By the way? Cite for us any example of Mormons trying to take over the US and make it have a single religion. In fact cite for us any Christian religion in the US trying to establish a theocracy.

Pat Robertson tried it.

They are peaceful and have every right to practice your religion, I just don't get how you can believe anything Smith said or the teachings of LDS.
You are smart man, I don't understand how you can logically believe it. But to each their own.

Pat Robertson tried it.

Provide evidence that Pat Robertson ever had the power to change the Constitution and a majority in both Houses of Congress.

Pat Robertson tried it.

Provide evidence that Pat Robertson ever had the power to change the Constitution and a majority in both Houses of Congress.

I didn't say he did it. I said he tried it, with a little help from his friends.

I didn't say he did it. I said he tried it, with a little help from his friends.

Quote foir me and link to it where he ever proposed any such thing. Then explain how he ever had a reasonable shot at doing it.

Look man, He is from my area. There have been numerous stories about his desire to make the bible the law of the land. Funny, he's a billionaire. The way he explains it, is that he is blessed.

It is depressing to read about him.

The founding document of the United States of America acknowledges the Lordship of Jesus Christ because we are a Christian nation.
Pat Robertson

He did run for president of this country.

Forum List

Back