The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity

But YOU gave me the criteria as to why this nation is a nation based on Christian tenets. Why wouldn't that criteria fit in all cases? What is the difference between America and Germany if YOUR criteria is met in both cases?

Not talking about caring, simply talking about consistency....and Hitler WAS the founder of the Third Reich which they considered more than Germany, just like the Founders thought of the U.S. as more than the original 13 colonies.

Hitler was not the founder of Germany. Period.

Does that change anything about the Criteria that YOU set up that you somehow want applied to America as evidence but you don't want applied to Germany as evidence?

Yes it does. The discussion is about THIS nation. Not how other nations were founded and on what principles.

Wise up!

FWIW You have to go back to 100 AD or earlier in order to see how Germany was founded.

In fairness to Dr. Drock, I don't think he is making blanket statements. He very correctly pointed out that Christians cannot claim exclusive ownership of some of the tenets and convictions that went into the Declaration of Independence that in turn provided the underpinnings of the U.S. Constitution. He is not dismissing a Christian influence but only arguing that all are not uniquely Christian concepts.

No one has or is declaring those tenets are exclusively Christian. His point is simply a red herring.
IF they are not exclusively Christian, why are they labeled as Christian?

BECAUSE THE FF SAID THEY WERE USING CHRISTIAN TENETS.

That's why they're labeled as Christian. The FF said, en masse, we believe in God, we believe man has certain rights that come from God and none other, and we will have a nation that protects those rights...including the rights of those who don't believe in God, or people who aren't Christian.

Because dumbass they are Christian tenets. They may be other religions tenets also but we know that the FF's were not of any other religion. They were for the most part Christians.

Damn, you are one stupid troll!

Hmmm....so they are not really ONLY Christian tenets. They are not even tenets invented by Christians...but because the founders claim christianity as their religion (most of them)...it's christian tenets.

Sorry, that's chauvanistic and just as untrue as if I were to say that our FFs were partiers for the most part that our country was based on partying tenets? Or if (as was true) our country's FFs were for the most part farmers, our country was based on farming tenets?

We are talking people that RAN AWAY from religious tyranny of the State...you know.

You really should learn your history.

She wants to argue everything...except the premise itself.

:cuckoo:

IF they are not exclusively Christian, why are they labeled as Christian?

Because dumbass they are Christian tenets. They may be other religions tenets also but we know that the FF's were not of any other religion. They were for the most part Christians.

Why are they not called Religious tenets? Why are they not called Equality tenets? Why are they not called Enlightenment tenets?

They are NOT exclusively Christian.

NOT all Christian principles are found in them.

Unless you are chauvanistic, Christianity DOES NOT OWN these tenets that country was based on.

If Christianity did....why didn't Christian England have the same tenets? Why didn't Christian Mexico have the same tenets? Why didn't Christian France have the same tenets?

At the time England, as well as most of the rest of Europe and the near east, had religious entities in power that did not practice Christian tenets but rather were more totalitarian political. That is why the Puritans, among others, wanted out of there and came here.

The tenets in question are Christian tenets because they were pulled from the Christian faith as believed by Christians who also happened to be our Founding Fathers. Just because others also hold them makes them no less Christian. It is the same sort of thing that makes Christmas and Easter Christian festivals. The fact that non-Christians also celebrate or acknowledge components of them does not change the fact that they arose out of the Christian faith and were originally uniquely Christian festivals.

No other faith had come up with the concept of unalienable rights nor proposed them as the principle of good government. That came out of Christian beliefs practiced by Christians and Christianity at least deserve acknowledgement if not credit for that.

You're the one trying to make it a blanket statement. Because the premise is very limited...the US was founded upon Christian principle based upon the FF statements and certain foundation docs.

This is not to say that everybody who embraces those tenets is Christian. It isn't to say that all the FF were Christian. It isn't to say that the country is a theocracy, it isn't.

But this particular country, as developed by our founding fathers, was very deliberately founded on Christian principle. They decided to create a new country, they decided there would be no state religion, but they recognized (and said they recognized) that freedom and liberty come from God only, and as such are sacrosanct. That is the foundation of this country, and that is a Christian precept.

In fairness to Dr. Drock, I don't think he is making blanket statements. He very correctly pointed out that Christians cannot claim exclusive ownership of some of the tenets and convictions that went into the Declaration of Independence that in turn provided the underpinnings of the U.S. Constitution. He is not dismissing a Christian influence but only arguing that all are not uniquely Christian concepts.

No one has or is declaring those tenets are exclusively Christian. His point is simply a red herring.

So they're not exclusively christian tenets, and not all the founding fathers were christian, but you can undeniably say for certain that you know the country was founded purely on what the founding fathers viewed as christian principles?

Very interesting to say the least.

What our 1st congress did;

On January 21, 1781, Robert Aitken petitioned the Unites States Congress to authorize, and if possible even fund, the printing of a complete Bible in the English language of the King James Version. On September 10, 1782, Aitken received authorization from the United States Congress to commence his American printing of the Bible in English. This is the only instance in history of the U.S. Congress authorizing the printing of a Bible. In subsequent years, that session was often mockingly referred to as “The Bible Congress.” Thus, in 1782, Robert Aitken produced the first English language Bible printed in America. In 1783, George Washington wrote a letter commending Robert Aitken for his Bible. The Robert Aitken Bible is known as the “Bible of the American Revolution” and it remains the most rare and valuable of early American English Bibles.

So the Founding Father's were Christian in their belief's

So they're not exclusively christian tenets, and not all the founding fathers were christian, but you can undeniably say for certain that you know the country was founded purely on what the founding fathers viewed as christian principles?

Having devoted a great deal of time studying the writings of the Founding Fathers and doing a college thesis on their religious views, I can say with a great deal of confidence that I can undeniably say pretty much for certain what THEY said was the basis for the republic they gave us.

What our 1st congress did;

On January 21, 1781, Robert Aitken petitioned the Unites States Congress to authorize, and if possible even fund, the printing of a complete Bible in the English language of the King James Version. On September 10, 1782, Aitken received authorization from the United States Congress to commence his American printing of the Bible in English. This is the only instance in history of the U.S. Congress authorizing the printing of a Bible. In subsequent years, that session was often mockingly referred to as “The Bible Congress.” Thus, in 1782, Robert Aitken produced the first English language Bible printed in America. In 1783, George Washington wrote a letter commending Robert Aitken for his Bible. The Robert Aitken Bible is known as the “Bible of the American Revolution” and it remains the most rare and valuable of early American English Bibles.

So the Founding Father's were Christian in their belief's

I wonder why they only did it once. Do you think you can tell us?

And yet, using the EXACT SAME criteria, he cannot say the same thing about the Third Reich. You don't think he's being a wee bit inconsistent, do you?

Why are they not called Religious tenets? Why are they not called Equality tenets? Why are they not called Enlightenment tenets?

Unless you are chauvanistic, Christianity DOES NOT OWN these tenets that country was based on.

If Christianity did....why didn't Christian England have the same tenets? Why didn't Christian Mexico have the same tenets? Why didn't Christian France have the same tenets?

At the time England, as well as most of the rest of Europe and the near east, had religious entities in power that did not practice Christian tenets but rather were more totalitarian political. That is why the Puritans, among others, wanted out of there and came here.

The tenets in question are Christian tenets because they were pulled from the Christian faith as believed by Christians who also happened to be our Founding Fathers. Just because others also hold them makes them no less Christian. It is the same sort of thing that makes Christmas and Easter Christian festivals. The fact that non-Christians also celebrate or acknowledge components of them does not change the fact that they arose out of the Christian faith and were originally uniquely Christian festivals.

No other faith had come up with the concept of unalienable rights nor proposed them as the principle of good government. That came out of Christian beliefs practiced by Christians and Christianity at least deserve acknowledgement if not credit for that.

Ah, but they would totally disagree with you on that....and the Puritans were even worse in some respects...they HANGED Quakers. They kicked out and imprisoned anyone who did not follow the accepted Church lines. People HAD to go to church for hours on end with enforcers making sure they stayed awake. Laws forbid dancing, drinking, bright clothes, holiday celebrations, PDA and if you didn't fit the mold...you might be hanged as a witch.

And yet, using the EXACT SAME criteria, he cannot say the same thing about the Third Reich. You don't think he's being a wee bit inconsistent, do you?

If all the founding fathers were christians I'd understand but they weren't, I wouldn't be able to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that people who aren't christian would label some of their principles as being christian in nature.

Again some of the founding fathers did what they did based on principles they'd deem as christian, others weren't and wouldn't deem them as christian. I dunno why that's offensive to some people to say that non-christians wouldn't label their principles as christian. Seems pretty basic to me.

They were very much so Christians but believed that all religions should have freedom in this nation and also included Atheists. Freedom to worship or not to worship , but should have basic religion to have a free and civil society.

Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.[69]
GEORGE WASHINGTON, Farewell Address, 17 Sept. 1796.

The great pillars of all government and of social life . . . [are] virtue, morality, and religion. This is the armor, my friend, and this alone, that renders us invincible.[70]
PATRICK HENRY

One of the beautiful boasts of our municipal jurisprudence is that Christianity is a part of the Common Law. . . . There never has been a period in which the Common Law did not recognize Christianity as lying at its foundations. . . . I verily believe Christianity necessary to the support of civil society.[71]
JOSEPH STORY, U S. SUPREME COURT JUSTICE; FATHER OF AMERICAN JURISPRUDENCE

We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel.[72]
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

[T]he Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth. [and] laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.[73]
JOHN QUINCY ADAMS

[T]he Christian religion -- its general principles -- must ever be regarded among us as the foundation of civil society.[74]
DANIEL WEBSTER

True religion always enlarges the heart and strengthens the social tie.[75]
JOHN WITHERSPOON

Before any man can be considered as a member of civil society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe.[76]
JAMES MADISON

I have always considered Christianity as the strong ground of republicanism. . . . It is only necessary for republicanism to ally itself to the Christian religion to overturn all the corrupted political and religious institutions in the world.[77]
BENJAMIN RUSH, SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION

[T]he religion which has introduced civil liberty is the religion of Christ and his apostles.... and to this we owe our free constitutions of government.[78]
NOAH WEBSTER

[N]ational prosperity can neither be attained nor preserved without the favor of Providence.[79]
JOHN JAY, ORIGINAL CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE U.S. SUPREME COURT

If all the founding fathers were christians I'd understand but they weren't, I wouldn't be able to say beyond a shadow of a doubt that people who aren't christian would label some of their principles as being christian in nature.

Again some of the founding fathers did what they did based on principles they'd deem as christian, others weren't and wouldn't deem them as christian. I dunno why that's offensive to some people to say that non-christians wouldn't label their principles as christian. Seems pretty basic to me.

Again. It has nothing to do with their religion. It has to do with what they SAID they were founding the nation on.

I don't know what non-Christian ff you're talking about, but pretty much all of them said at one time or another, "We are building a country upon Christian principle, but we are not building a theocracy". The quotes are there, carefully preserved and protected in climate-controlled storage, in the history books, cited by presidents, acknowledged by all historians.

It is pretty basic. It's not offensive to say the non-Christians wouldn't label their principles as Christian...it's just a lie. The non-Christians DID label the founding principles as Christian...though I have no idea who these famed "non-Christians" are. I just know that pretty much all the founding fathers said and wrote, repeatedly, that they were building a nation on Christian principle, and that without that principle, the government would not function properly.

The founding fathers left us reams of writings, diaries, letters, and notations from which they give us a very clear look into their spiritual underpinnings and, for most, how that tied in with their views on government and governing.

Non-Christians really REALLY seem to want to believe that the Founding Fathers were mostly diests or non-Christian or not men of strong faith. The record would indicate otherwise, however.

Yes, if you read what the founding fathers have said, which has been quoted many times in this thread, it is undeniable.

Ah, but they would totally disagree with you on that....and the Puritans were even worse in some respects...they HANGED Quakers. They kicked out and imprisoned anyone who did not follow the accepted Church lines. People HAD to go to church for hours on end with enforcers making sure they stayed awake. Laws forbid dancing, drinking, bright clothes, holiday celebrations, PDA and if you didn't fit the mold...you might be hanged as a witch.

For the first time you appear either unschooled in American history or disingenuous. The Founding Fathers not only agreed with my opinion about that--they wrote it. The Puritans did not found the federal government and had no say in the wording of the Constitution. The U.S. Constitution was designed to protect both the authoritarian rigidity of the Puritans as well as people like you who rejected all of it. And neither of you would have any say over what was appropriate or permissable for the other to believe.

Edit: And if you are school in European and near east history, you know that what I am saying is correct. The religious climate became so intolerable that it made the Reformation and Renaissance possible, both of which contributed to the courage and determination to start a new life in the new world.

Last edited:

Which of the founding fathers did not believe in God?

Last edited:

Again. It has nothing to do with their religion. It has to do with what they SAID they were founding the nation on.

Uh, ok. Lonestar_Logic disagrees with you on that one about their own religion.

People say all sorts of things, Allie. Hitler and his crew said they were forming the THIRD REICH the same way....does that make it true?

I don't know what non-Christian ff you're talking about, but pretty much all of them said at one time or another, "We are building a country upon Christian principle, but we are not building a theocracy". The quotes are there, carefully preserved and protected in climate-controlled storage, in the history books, cited by presidents, acknowledged by all historians.

It is pretty basic. It's not offensive to say the non-Christians wouldn't label their principles as Christian...it's just a lie. The non-Christians DID label the founding principles as Christian...though I have no idea who these famed "non-Christians" are. I just know that pretty much all the founding fathers said and wrote, repeatedly, that they were building a nation on Christian principle, and that without that principle, the government would not function properly.

What was that Exclusively Christian Principle they build our nation on.....beyond lip service?

So far, from gadawg and Bod, I have learned:

1. There is a religious cult called The Torries that knows more about the motives of the FF than anyone else. The Torries are apparently a secret cult, and the only person who knows any of the specifics about them is Gadawg.

2. The Declaration of Independence is not a founding document and does not speak to the motivations of the founding fathers, nor does it establish a foundation for the new nation that was the US.

3. Quakers were downtrodden, persecuted and butchered by the gross by the Puritans. Therefore, the US was not founded on Christian precepts.

4. Furthermore, since Christianity shares some values with other ideologies worldwide, the FF were lying when they said they were founding a nation on Christian tenets.

These are all interesting facts that you will not find in any history book. They are contained solely in the minds of Bod & Gad, and as such are not debatable!

Uh, ok. Lonestar_Logic disagrees with you on that one about their own religion.

People say all sorts of things, Allie. Hitler and his crew said they were forming the THIRD REICH the same way....does that make it true?

What was that Exclusively Christian Principle they build our nation on.....beyond lip service?

Moron. The "Third Reich" wasn't a country.

Why do you insist on arguing a topic you are woefully ignorant about?

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back