🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Theology of evil

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
I'm curious what others thoughts on the problem of evil is.

Some say evil is essentially the "opposite" or antagonist of good, while others say evil is an absence of good, much as black or dark is an absence of light.

Sometimes "evil" didn't just mean malevolent human behavior, such as violence, rape, and warfare - but also meant adversity or suffering in general, such as famine, natural disasters, illness, and things of that nature.

There was an author I read from who believes we are in a "war" between good and evil, and that evil adapts and takes more subtle forms, or the evil beings like Hitler or Jeffery Dahmer believed themselves to be part of a "hierarchy" of evildoers, much as their might be a "hierarchy" of good beings like Jesus Christ - his philosophy on it was fascinating.

we are in a "war" between good and evil, and that evil adapts and takes more subtle forms,
The perception is important as perception is the reality of the seer of- Hitler was a product of his times- Dahmer's wires were crossed from the get- go- Hitler was a politician- Dahmer wasn't- Hitler is blamed for a great deal of carnage because the buck stops at the top, Dahmer's carnage was evidenced by cold, hard facts and he was responsible for ALL he did- and don't forget the media attention which created the narrative- could it not be perceived as evil?

Evil is causing harm to another unless in self defense- the excuse(s) is just that.

I don't think evil is a problem. Not for Christians, anyway. Or it shouldn't be.

When confronted with this question of evil, evangelical and fundamentalist Christians invoke their stock answer of a yin and yang relationship. Bitter does not exist without sweet. Life does not exist without death. Good does not exist without evil. And hence the question never really goes away; it never really gets an answer that satisfies a political prisoner, a disfigured child, or an abused wife. Post-enlightenment gurus ask this question of evangelicals not so much to seek answers but rather to inflame a culture war between the faithful and the secular and to place on the shoulders of the church a problem that the church need not solve, for eradicating evil from the world at large was never the church’s mandate or God’s promise.

I don't think evil is a problem. Not for Christians, anyway. Or it shouldn't be.
eradicating evil from the world at large was never the church’s mandate or God’s promise.
Then why do christians advocate for the "wars" foreign and domestic? Why do they side with israel?
Zionists do that.

“No one comes to the Father except through me,” Jesus asserted. No one. God reserves no special dispensation for anyone, Jew or otherwise, who denies the divinity and work of Christ.

They were the chosen. (Mt 21:43)
Immaterial- they consider themselves the chosen and you still didn't address the other question I asked

Then why do christians advocate for the "wars" foreign and domestic?
Why don't you address the above question?
Not immaterial. The covenant changed. They can consider themselves chosen all they wish. According to Christ, no one comes to the Father except through him. No one.

I don't care about the "above question." It's immaterial. Christians can advocate for whatever they want. Nothing in the Bible says that God would rid the world of evil.

Nothing in the Bible says that God would rid the world of evil.
But, christians, who swear by the bible being a god's word, advocate for it- so, it's as relevant as my other question because "I" asked it- that you choose to not answer it is an answer in and of itself-

Jesus defeated evil on the Cross, and Satan fell from heaven, or the ruling places. Evil no longer plagued the body of the faithful. Idolatry fled. Problem solved.

Tornadoes, famine, and war were never the problem of evil that God promised to confront in His kingdom, for no such confrontation was necessary. And He did not promise to confront these evils in the barbaric unbelieving wastelands, either; His desire is only that His people bear His image in His kingdom.

I'm curious what others thoughts on the problem of evil is.

Some say evil is essentially the "opposite" or antagonist of good, while others say evil is an absence of good, much as black or dark is an absence of light.

Sometimes "evil" didn't just mean malevolent human behavior, such as violence, rape, and warfare - but also meant adversity or suffering in general, such as famine, natural disasters, illness, and things of that nature.

There was an author I read from who believes we are in a "war" between good and evil, and that evil adapts and takes more subtle forms, or the evil beings like Hitler or Jeffery Dahmer believed themselves to be part of a "hierarchy" of evildoers, much as their might be a "hierarchy" of good beings like Jesus Christ - his philosophy on it was fascinating.

easy

people who posts lists of other people they think should be murdered (for having the wrong opinions) are EVIL

today; liberals are GOOD, conservatives are EVIL.

The body is everywhere.
Even in the District of Criminals? Or Hitler? Or John Chivington? Or those who believed Manifest Destiny and determined they weren't evil for attacking "savages" (who didn't even know your god existed) savagely? The one who said the only good Indian is a dead Indian? Those bodies? Nah- it exists in the mind. Period. As does evil.

The body is everywhere.
Even in the District of Criminals? Or Hitler? Or John Chivington? Or those who believed Manifest Destiny and determined they weren't evil for attacking "savages" (who didn't even know your god existed) savagely? The one who said the only good Indian is a dead Indian? Those bodies? Nah- it exists in the mind. Period. As does evil.
Yea, okay. When Jeffrey Dahmer cannibalized those teenagers, it was in the mind.

Forum List

Back