There are just some things whites need to learn

"Sure, white racism caused the oppression and disadvantage of black people, but I didn't do anything. I am an individual, not a race."

That pretty much sums it up Bootney.
So, it's not that I, as white person caused the disadvantaged condition of black folks, but I as an American owe a duty to my fellow countrymen and my country as a whole to do something about it, not as a white person, but as a fellow American?

Am I getting there?

He just wants reparations for all his worthless klan.
I believe that I have come to disagree.

I believe I am starting to understand his position. If it is what suspect, he is right.

We speak of Nationalism as an ideal, but we don't practice it. We don't see each other as fellow countrymen to whom we owe loyalty.

Is IM2 your fellow countryman or not? Doesn't his success ultimately result in yours? Doesn't the tide lift all boats? Isn't his success America's success?

"Sure, white racism caused the oppression and disadvantage of black people, but I didn't do anything. I am an individual, not a race."

So, it's not that I, as white person caused the disadvantaged condition of black folks, but I as an American owe a duty to my fellow countrymen and my country as a whole to do something about it, not as a white person, but as a fellow American?

Am I getting there?

He just wants reparations for all his worthless klan.
I believe that I have come to disagree.

I believe I am starting to understand his position. If it is what suspect, he is right.

We speak of Nationalism as an ideal, but we don't practice it. We don't see each other as fellow countrymen to whom we owe loyalty.

Is IM2 your fellow countryman or not? Doesn't his success ultimately result in yours? Doesn't the tide lift all boats? Isn't his success America's success?

Dope, he wants to destroy whites.

Do you really believe that?

Maybe he is just pissed off because a bunch of whites dismiss and invalidate his concerns without bothering to hear him?

I am not saying he is right about everything. He may want to "get even" with whitey, but it doesn't seem that way after talking with him a bit, and actually listening.

Maybe he is just pissed off because a bunch of whites dismiss and invalidate his concerns without bothering to hear him?

I am not saying he is right about everything. He may want to "get even" with whitey, but it doesn't seem that way after talking with him a bit, and actually listening.

We've heard him, all he does is rail against' whites, and never will respond truthfully to anything that doesn't fit the whites are the root of all evils

We've heard him, all he does is rail against' whites, and never will respond truthfully to anything that doesn't fit the whites are the root of all evils
Maybe. But, I am beginning to get a different understanding.

Example:

In the other thread, there was bitch back and forth about black folks only supporting black businesses, and how that is racist. Well, we are constantly telling black folks that they need to get off their asses, earn their own living, and help themselves. They can't really do that if their businesses fail. So, his point was that supporting black businesses would be black folks helping themselves, not black racism. He also said that they need to also do some business with white people to make it work. It can't solely be black people using the goods and services of black people, and it wouldn't take much. Example, 2 out of 10 times, get coffee from a black-owned coffee shop. Best of all, that would be completely voluntary. There is a non-government, non-reparations, non-commie solution to a real problem, proposed by NONE OTHER THAN IM2. Some other dude gets on there and says he would not do it because he is not required. He is a white boy and will support white businesses.

This illustrates the point I made above. Sure, we don't have to spend our money on goods and services we have already decided to spend to purchase those goods or services from black-owned businesses. But, it sure the fuck would help black folks succeed without putting a burden on us, but in fact, to the benefit of America's economy as a whole.

Don't we have an unregulated, unwritten, "moral" duty of loyalty to our fellow countrymen? Isn't that the spirit of Nationalism?

We see "buy American" campaigns. Why can't we have a "buy black American" campaign that would boost both the economy and the circumstances of black families, while simultaneously shutting down the communist bullshit?

I mean, even if you just full-blown HATE black folks (not that you do), you are doing yourself, your country, and your fellow countrymen a large favor with essentially zero effort or expense.

Even if some form of reparations is proposed, are you going to completely dismiss it without considering the benefit it could have toward you? And, I am not saying that I am convinced that reparations are appropriate, but it does not hurt to consider the potential benefits along with consequences. Hearing out a proposal and considering the cost-benefit hurts no one. It will certainly stop a lot of the yelling.

There are far too many whites here arguing with things said by blacks without having read any information. And while I doubt if those who are only here because they can talk their racist trash without getting their teeth busted will read these facts, be forewarned that off topic posts will be reported immediately.

You are about to begin looking at information from a report named "More Black than Blue: Politics and Power in the 2019 Black Census" by the Black Futures Lab

"The Black Futures Lab’s Black Census Project is the largest survey of Black people conducted in the United States since Reconstruction. Reached through online outreach methods and community partnerships, over 30,000 Black people from across the country participated in the Black Census Project, providing experiences, views and opinions about politics, society, and the opportunities and challenges facing Black communities and the nation. The Black Census Project amplifies the concerns and aspirations of the most politically and civically engaged Black adults in the U.S., revealing issues critical to activating and engaging Black communities in the years ahead."

To conduct the Census, the Black Futures Lab worked in partnership with more than 30 grassroots organizations serving Black communities nationwide. The Black Futures Lab also partnered with 2 of the largest online civil rights organizations serving Black communities and their allies— PushBlack and Color of Change. As a result, the Black Census includes populations that are usually not represented or are underrepresented in traditional surveys, such as homeless people, incarcerated people, LGBTQ people, Black Republicans and conservatives, Black immigrants, and mixed-raced people with a Black parent, among others.

The Black Census is not a traditional probabilistic survey sample, which often fails to fully represent populations whose experiences are important to understanding the complexity of Black life. Instead, the Black Census utilized unique survey collection methods that drew on robust online networks and sent local organizers into Black businesses, churches, libraries, barbershops and other community gathering places from North Carolina to Nevada, providing a rare and important opportunity to hear and learn from voices too often at the margins of America’s political debate.

This is the first in a series of reports on the Black Census, focusing on the most pressing economic and criminal justice issues among Black Census respondents, with a spotlight on how respondents are engaged in the electoral process.

You should read the “negro project” written by your white hero Margret Sanger.

There are far too many whites here arguing with things said by blacks without having read any information. And while I doubt if those who are only here because they can talk their racist trash without getting their teeth busted will read these facts, be forewarned that off topic posts will be reported immediately.

You are about to begin looking at information from a report named "More Black than Blue: Politics and Power in the 2019 Black Census" by the Black Futures Lab

"The Black Futures Lab’s Black Census Project is the largest survey of Black people conducted in the United States since Reconstruction. Reached through online outreach methods and community partnerships, over 30,000 Black people from across the country participated in the Black Census Project, providing experiences, views and opinions about politics, society, and the opportunities and challenges facing Black communities and the nation. The Black Census Project amplifies the concerns and aspirations of the most politically and civically engaged Black adults in the U.S., revealing issues critical to activating and engaging Black communities in the years ahead."

To conduct the Census, the Black Futures Lab worked in partnership with more than 30 grassroots organizations serving Black communities nationwide. The Black Futures Lab also partnered with 2 of the largest online civil rights organizations serving Black communities and their allies— PushBlack and Color of Change. As a result, the Black Census includes populations that are usually not represented or are underrepresented in traditional surveys, such as homeless people, incarcerated people, LGBTQ people, Black Republicans and conservatives, Black immigrants, and mixed-raced people with a Black parent, among others.

The Black Census is not a traditional probabilistic survey sample, which often fails to fully represent populations whose experiences are important to understanding the complexity of Black life. Instead, the Black Census utilized unique survey collection methods that drew on robust online networks and sent local organizers into Black businesses, churches, libraries, barbershops and other community gathering places from North Carolina to Nevada, providing a rare and important opportunity to hear and learn from voices too often at the margins of America’s political debate.

This is the first in a series of reports on the Black Census, focusing on the most pressing economic and criminal justice issues among Black Census respondents, with a spotlight on how respondents are engaged in the electoral process.

Remember this?
56e308c01e0000b300703dff.gif

I got about 8 pages into this survey and got the general picture.. When you ASK folks SIMPLY if they want FREE STUFF -- the answer is ALWAYS yes.. And governance and political leadership to this org is all about the "free stuff"...

Who doesn't want free college, free healthcare, and $30/hour?? The only way to get REAL answers to this litany of pandering with $trillion handouts is to ask --- WHAT WOULD YOU GIVE UP to pay for these things?

When it gets into "Climate Justice" --- I'm pretty much out of here... Because it sucks to even CONTEMPLATE that meaning when there are far more imminent and life-threatening problems to THESE generations -- right now today...

And here he goes with his standard racist drivel. Fool, climate is the most pressing issue right now today. When will whites like you who ask for free shit all the time stop talking stupid.

Really? How hot is it gonna be in 2100? It's warmed about 0.8DegC in your lifetime give or take a 1/10 of a degree.. Is that somehow killing a lot of inner city people???

We just had around 600 tornadoes in the region I live in this week. Not to mention the thunderstorms and flooding. This is a result of climate. NOW. TODAY.

And since blacks don't just live in the inner cities, you have again displayed your racist ignorance.

It's peak tornado season. And NOTHING that's happened is unprecedented.. In fact, we've had BELOW avg tornado seasons for past 4 or 6 years.. REPORTING is better because of improved radar detection and processing. So you're also seeing a large fraction of short track or low intensity tornadoes reports increase over time due to that... This IS all political with you isn't it?

Dear IM2 and flacaltenn
this could go back and forth or in circles on areas of disagreement and conflict

I'm more interested in what this thread would produce
where points actually INTERSECT and connect on
directions toward SOLUTIONS that won't be in any conflict

REAL solutions won't trigger:
Black vs White conflicts
Conservative vs. other group conflicts
Male/Male or Male/Female conflicts
Racism, Individualism or other False Equivalency issues

Can we focus on the key points that are so critical
to all views they transcend all the above ^

What are the best points in IM2 posts
that we gain and make the most of.

ie, Minus anything off target that distracts from those.

Emily anything we blacks suggest will trigger white/black conflicts because whites like flacaltenn thinks he knows better what blacks need than black people do. I cannot tell you what it's like to be pregnant no matter how many children I have seen being born, books I have read or opinions from women I have heard. But flacaltenn thinks he knows what blacks need to do because he listens and reads stuff from black conservative elites.

IM2 you can call it White vs. Black, or it could be male vs. male

For all I know it was "FLACALTENN" (the individual) reading through that and finding a POLITICAL BIAS and you (as IM2) reading through his posts and finding
a WHITE/BLACK RACIAL bias.

NOTE: With your thread set up under your rules,
and this forum set up under rules not to argue with Mods about Moderation,
PLUS natural laws that neither you or I as free users are going to
have equal weight as the people working to provide free forum usage to others,
there's THAT dynamic going on as well.

Regardless of all those overlapping biases and dynamics,
I still see the point that the polls focus on "politically active" input
and this isn't perfectly representative if it leaves out other voices
that were eligible to be included.

You see that as "white justification to discount or discredit"
I see it as a specific point that doesn't NEGATE the value of the post.

Nothing is ever going to be PERFECTLY representative of the whole.
As long as you get out of it what you feel represents YOU,
I trust YOU to tell me that, regardless how imperfect or perfect the
material maybe. YOU tell me what YOU get out of it.
And others do the same. I listen to THEM as it applies to THEM.
I listen to YOU as it applies to YOU. So there is no conflict,
you BOTH tell me what represents YOU. Even if you get
totally different takes from the same material. It's about YOU
not picking you or the material apart, unless it helps me understand YOU.

Emily try that weak individualism stuff elsewhere.

“ I posit that the Discourse of Individualism functions to: deny the significance of race and the advantages of being white; hide the accumulation of wealth over generations; deny social and historical context; prevent a macro analysis of the institutional and structural dimensions of social life; deny collective socialization and the power of dominant culture (media, education, religion, etc.) to shape our perspectives and ideology; function as neo-colorblindness and reproduce the myth of meritocracy; and make collective action difficult. Further, being viewed as an individual is a privilege only available to the dominant group. I explicate each of these discursive effects and argue that while we may be considered individuals in general, white insistence on Individualism in discussions of racism in particular functions to obscure and maintain racism.”

Robin DeAngelo

This explanation speaks for itself. Individualism discounts the effects of history, which cannot be ignored in any discussion of race. It denies the social structure created by racism. It refuses to accept that a dominant white culture was created due to the racist laws and policies denying people of color AS A GROUP. It removes the individual responsibility whites have to end racism in their community because they are an individual and did not do it so find those who did is the attitude you get from whites who use individualism as a denial.

Even more specifically, those who argue about individualism would have a case if racism was practiced in a way that harmed a few individuals while being done by just a few people. Racism is a macro level problem. Individualism is a micro level philosophy.

Dear IM2
I am not talking about "Individualism" collectively which makes no sense.
of course it contradicts itself.

I am talking about understanding EACH PERSON individually.

I agree with you that "individualism" as a "collective practice"
is going to fail. That is clearly contradictory.

It brings to mind the ridiculous
satirical scene in Monty Python with the CROWD CHANTING LIKE BORG:
"WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!"

I get what you are saying IM2
And that is NOT what I am saying.

Fair enough. So realize I understand flacaltenn. He is the one who told me that blacks only live in the black community to show their blackness. Flacaltenn is the person that said the best solution for blacks was to move out of black communities and into rural all white towns. Flacaltenn never shows up in threads by whites talking about what blacks need to do. He is being looked at as an individual. A white racist individual who thinks he can tell blacks what blacks need to do.
While you tell whites what they need to do.

This has nothing to do with the thread topic. Most blacks oppose what white conservatives support. I am black, and in this thread I will not be arguing with anyone white trying to tell me about black people. Your next off topic post will be reported.
You don't speak for all black people. Obviously.

I'd speak for all black people if I said what whites like you need to hear. You don't speak for any black people. 2 percent of the black community is republican. I know what black people are wb. Because I am black. Since you have decided to argue off topic and won't stop, you will be reported.
You sure are a racist...and a coward.

This has nothing to do with the thread topic. Most blacks oppose what white conservatives support. I am black, and in this thread I will not be arguing with anyone white trying to tell me about black people. Your next off topic post will be reported.

I'd speak for all black people if I said what whites like you need to hear. You don't speak for any black people. 2 percent of the black community is republican. I know what black people are wb. Because I am black. Since you have decided to argue off topic and won't stop, you will be reported.

He's threatened me with the police twice and run away every time I've confronted him.
I don't doubt it. What's he going to call the cops for?

HE DISAGREED WITH ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!

LOL! Pathetic.

This is not about a disagreement on the internet. I have not run. I decided to ignore. Dale doesn't seem to understand what he would face if I took him up on his challenge. As for you, well you're a joke. You call me a racist because you can't face the truth. And in this thread you will learn the truth.

Last edited:

Am I getting there?

Yes. Because it was GOVERNMENT law/policy that created these problems. But whites have been race baited and race pimped relative to these issues.

I've given you my name and my phone number yet......you decline to engage. Are you afraid LaQuisha?
It seems that he and others of his ilk turn to violence when discussing race with whites in person

Black Census respondents express deep concern on criminal justice issues, including the illegitimate use of force by the police and the prevalence of gun violence in Black communities. Recognizing the impact of mass incarceration on political power, respondents also want voting rights restored to formerly incarcerated people.

Policing is a major area of concern for Black Census respondents. More than 8 in 10 respondents consider police officers killing Black people a problem in the community (87 percent). Eighty-four percent say that police officers not being held accountable for their crimes is a problem, while 83 percent describe excessive use of force by police officers as a problem. More than half (55 percent) of respondents have personally had a negative interaction with the police at some point, and 28 percent have had at least one negative interaction in the last 6 months. More than a third (38 percent) of Black Census respondents had their first negative interaction with the police before the age of 18. Younger respondents are also more likely to report recent negative police interactions, with 38 percent describing a negative encounter with police in the last 6 months.

Policing in Black communities has always been a site of contention. From the nation’s earliest history of slave patrols searching for and punishing enslaved people they thought were trying to escape, police forces have too often been deployed to suppress the rights of Black people in the United States rather than to improve public safety in Black communities. Today, systemic racism continues to permeate police departments across the country: Unarmed Black people remain far more likely to be victims of police violence than their white counterparts.

Many of the uprisings in the 1960s were sparked by police brutality. For example, when a white police officer repeatedly shot unarmed 16-year-old Matthew Johnson in San Francisco in September 1966, the killing sparked the Hunters Point uprising and helped to inspire the formation of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense one month later.22 An immediate end to police brutality was central to the Black Panthers’ Ten-Point Program, as members organized armed patrols of Black community members to counter police violence.

Today, the Black Lives Matter movement is shining a powerful spotlight on the persistence of police violence and misconduct. Black Census respondents strongly support Black Lives Matter, giving the movement a net favorability (favorable percentage minus unfavorable percentage) rating of 81 percent, which is about the same rating as the respondents give to President Barack Obama. Meanwhile, net favorability toward the police is minus 37 percent.

Despite an unfavorable view of police departments, most Black Census respondents believe that relations between police and local Black communities can be improved (only 7 percent of respondents assert that “I don’t think the relationship between the police and Black people in my community can improve,” and an additional 5 percent maintain that the relationship needs no improvement). The most popular proposal for improving relations with the police is ensuring that officers are held accountable for their misconduct, endorsed by 73 percent of Black Census respondents.

In addition, 60 percent of respondents believe that requiring police officers to wear body cameras to record interactions with the community would improve relations. While individual-level body cameras clearly cannot address systemic racism in policing, many proponents see them as tools to hold law enforcement broadly accountable for their actions, potentially changing the culture of policing.

About half of respondents recommend measures such as having police officers live in the communities where they work, recruiting more police officers from Black and other minority communities, and creating community boards to supervise police departments. About half (53 percent) of respondents over the age of 60 believe that police/community relations would be improved if parents took more responsibility for the behavior of their children, but younger respondents were less supportive of this approach. Only 24 percent of respondents believe that relations would improve if members of the community were more respectful of police officers.

Gun violence is an area of deep concern, described by nearly 90 percent of Black Census respondents as a problem in Black communities. Three-quarters of respondents see it as a major problem. In nearly half of states, the Black firearm death rate is 2 or more times the white rate.24 Gun violence is the single most common cause of death for Black children and teenagers.25 In response to this epidemic, Black communities across the country have mobilized for years against gun violence, pioneering the use of restorative justice practices, violence interrupters, and other innovative strategies to address the prevalence of gun violence. Congresswoman Lucy McBath (D-GA), whose 17-year-old son, Jordan Davis, was murdered by Michael Dunn, a white man enraged by his loud music, was elected to office in 2018 on a gun control platform.

Yet politicized narratives blame Black communities for violence, ignoring the systemic factors that contribute to its persistence: High rates of gun violence are rooted in poverty, inequality, and racial segregation.26 Neighborhoods that are isolated from basic services and provide little access to stable, well-paid employment experience more violence. Thus, while the Black Census did not ask respondents directly about policy solutions to address gun violence, many of the policies respondents most strongly support—such as raising pay and guaranteeing quality and affordable housing, health care, and education in Black communities—in fact show great promise in reducing violence.28 Improving police-community relations, through efforts such as reliably holding police accountable for their misconduct, can also help establish a foundation for preventing gun violence.

Black Census respondents express deep concern on criminal justice issues, including the illegitimate use of force by the police and the prevalence of gun violence in Black communities. Recognizing the impact of mass incarceration on political power, respondents also want voting rights restored to formerly incarcerated people.

Policing is a major area of concern for Black Census respondents. More than 8 in 10 respondents consider police officers killing Black people a problem in the community (87 percent). Eighty-four percent say that police officers not being held accountable for their crimes is a problem, while 83 percent describe excessive use of force by police officers as a problem. More than half (55 percent) of respondents have personally had a negative interaction with the police at some point, and 28 percent have had at least one negative interaction in the last 6 months. More than a third (38 percent) of Black Census respondents had their first negative interaction with the police before the age of 18. Younger respondents are also more likely to report recent negative police interactions, with 38 percent describing a negative encounter with police in the last 6 months.

Policing in Black communities has always been a site of contention. From the nation’s earliest history of slave patrols searching for and punishing enslaved people they thought were trying to escape, police forces have too often been deployed to suppress the rights of Black people in the United States rather than to improve public safety in Black communities. Today, systemic racism continues to permeate police departments across the country: Unarmed Black people remain far more likely to be victims of police violence than their white counterparts.

Many of the uprisings in the 1960s were sparked by police brutality. For example, when a white police officer repeatedly shot unarmed 16-year-old Matthew Johnson in San Francisco in September 1966, the killing sparked the Hunters Point uprising and helped to inspire the formation of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense one month later.22 An immediate end to police brutality was central to the Black Panthers’ Ten-Point Program, as members organized armed patrols of Black community members to counter police violence.

Today, the Black Lives Matter movement is shining a powerful spotlight on the persistence of police violence and misconduct. Black Census respondents strongly support Black Lives Matter, giving the movement a net favorability (favorable percentage minus unfavorable percentage) rating of 81 percent, which is about the same rating as the respondents give to President Barack Obama. Meanwhile, net favorability toward the police is minus 37 percent.

Despite an unfavorable view of police departments, most Black Census respondents believe that relations between police and local Black communities can be improved (only 7 percent of respondents assert that “I don’t think the relationship between the police and Black people in my community can improve,” and an additional 5 percent maintain that the relationship needs no improvement). The most popular proposal for improving relations with the police is ensuring that officers are held accountable for their misconduct, endorsed by 73 percent of Black Census respondents.

In addition, 60 percent of respondents believe that requiring police officers to wear body cameras to record interactions with the community would improve relations. While individual-level body cameras clearly cannot address systemic racism in policing, many proponents see them as tools to hold law enforcement broadly accountable for their actions, potentially changing the culture of policing.

About half of respondents recommend measures such as having police officers live in the communities where they work, recruiting more police officers from Black and other minority communities, and creating community boards to supervise police departments. About half (53 percent) of respondents over the age of 60 believe that police/community relations would be improved if parents took more responsibility for the behavior of their children, but younger respondents were less supportive of this approach. Only 24 percent of respondents believe that relations would improve if members of the community were more respectful of police officers.

Gun violence is an area of deep concern, described by nearly 90 percent of Black Census respondents as a problem in Black communities. Three-quarters of respondents see it as a major problem. In nearly half of states, the Black firearm death rate is 2 or more times the white rate.24 Gun violence is the single most common cause of death for Black children and teenagers.25 In response to this epidemic, Black communities across the country have mobilized for years against gun violence, pioneering the use of restorative justice practices, violence interrupters, and other innovative strategies to address the prevalence of gun violence. Congresswoman Lucy McBath (D-GA), whose 17-year-old son, Jordan Davis, was murdered by Michael Dunn, a white man enraged by his loud music, was elected to office in 2018 on a gun control platform.

Yet politicized narratives blame Black communities for violence, ignoring the systemic factors that contribute to its persistence: High rates of gun violence are rooted in poverty, inequality, and racial segregation.26 Neighborhoods that are isolated from basic services and provide little access to stable, well-paid employment experience more violence. Thus, while the Black Census did not ask respondents directly about policy solutions to address gun violence, many of the policies respondents most strongly support—such as raising pay and guaranteeing quality and affordable housing, health care, and education in Black communities—in fact show great promise in reducing violence.28 Improving police-community relations, through efforts such as reliably holding police accountable for their misconduct, can also help establish a foundation for preventing gun violence.
I have personally seen injustices toward black folks when it comes to criminal justice, particularly in sentencing. A rich white woman is getting the bare-ass minimum. A poor black male is more likely to get the maximum sentence, and anything else the prosecution can dig up.

I don't know if it is individual racial bias/prejudice, or lack of effective assistance of counsel or some other factor, but it is real. I have seen it with my own eyes.

I understand why community leaders want to keep young black males from getting a criminal record before they are adults. That will guarantee no benefit of the doubt in the future, and a harsher sentence.

Some police are straight up murderers. That incident where the guy attempted to grab the police officer's taser gun, and the cop shot him in the back as he was running away can be nothing but murder.

Other police are poorly trained (which can be fixed) or incapable of keeping emotions under control (which cannot, and that person is not fit to wear a badge).

There needs to be a "start over" type program with police and the black community where both work to build a relationship of trust. Many of the police transactions with black folks are escalated when they don't need to be, which I believe is brought on by a lack of trust. Cops are largely considered an enemy, rather than protectors and servants. Part of that problem is the general movement toward an authoritarian police state, rather than a more freedom-based society. (Goes back to my war on drugs comment, and general slide toward a loss of personal liberty that began in the late 1800s).

There is a lot of unnecessary police interaction. Most of that is caused by the desire of municipalities to increase funding in the way of fines, which has police officers out stopping drivers for very minor traffic violations. In major metro areas, it is nearly impossible to drive without violating some traffic law, so the only thing preventing a police stop is lack of a police officer.

Regardless, a lot of interactions with police officers and the general public (not just black folks) escalate because of a general lack of understanding of the branch of government the police represent. Arguing with a police officer may persuade him/her to give you a warning, but ultimately, they represent the executive branch, not the judiciary or the legislative branch. Many complaints about those interactions should be directed at the legislatures or argued before the judiciary. The cop is a peon in the grand scheme. Arguing with a cop is similar to arguing with a grounds keeper at a football game about a touchdown pass ruled out of bounds. Yes, the grounds keeper tends the grass and chalked/painted the sideline, but he is not the person making the call on the play.

Today, systemic racism continues to permeate police departments across the country:
I have seen this as well. The father of one of my college roommates was a cop. I remember feeling uneasy when hearing him express his general attitude toward black folks. I remember thinking that the general complaint about racism within the police department was just confirmed. After hearing about some of his experiences, I came away thinking that he was misguided, but his negative experiences with very few individuals who refused to cooperate and caused a situation to escalate into something way beyond what it should have been, shaped his attitude toward the whole black community. Likewise, it seems that interactions with a few bad police officers shaped attitudes toward police as a whole for black folks. So, now you have police expecting certain behaviors and responses from black folks, and black folks expecting police to be unreasonable and unjust.

Again, I think a "start over" campaign may help. Otherwise, I don't know what we can do. It is a vicious cycle of black folks not trusting cops, and thereby being evasive and resistant, and cops expecting black folks to be evasive and resistant, and treating them in like manner.

I support having police officers come from the communities they serve and protect. They know the community and the people they serve, and tend to have a personal interest in protecting the community. They are better equipped to keep situations from escalating. Some pasty white cop from a completely different neighborhood is less likely to be trusted in a mostly-black neighborhood.

Congresswoman Lucy McBath (D-GA), whose 17-year-old son, Jordan Davis, was murdered by Michael Dunn, a white man enraged by his loud music, was elected to office in 2018 on a gun control platform.
The Michael Dunn/Jordan Davis MURDER is a sickening situation that highlights my general repulsion of authoritarianism and gravitation toward liberalism/libertarianism. Dunn is the personification of the abhorrent authoritarian attitudes held by the right wing. He apparently does not believe that other people have the right to play loud music in public commercial settings that he does not own or control. When his authoritarian demands were not obeyed and his authority as an older white person was defied by young black kids whom Dunn undoubtedly believed to be inferior in every possible way, he believed it appropriate to issue a death sentence to the disobedient/defiant.

What aggravates the hell out of me is that Mr. Dunn's murderous authoritarian attitude has bred MORE authoritarian attitudes.

It seems that many black folks share my liberal attitudes verses authoritarian attitudes held by many folks on the "right" and the "left."

I am an equal-opportunity lover of liberty. I will fight for every person's liberty, regardless of whether I agree with the particular liberty being exercised.

Example:
The Black Panthers patrolling black neighborhoods in Northern California. There was NOTHING wrong with their actions. They were exercising an inalienable right and power they retained as individuals. Along comes Ronald Reagan, who, for CLEARLY racists reasons, signs the Mulford Act. Racism over rights, brought to you by GOVERNMENT!!! And, the mushy NRA was right there with him (which is why I support other gun advocacy groups).
When the Black Panthers Lobbied For 'Open Carry' Laws | Essay | Zócalo Public Square
https://www.history.com/news/black-panthers-gun-control-nra-support-mulford-act

I don't agree with everything the Black Panthers stand for. But, I will grab my weapons and march beside them in support of their right to keep and bear arms.

I heard endless right-wingers complaining about this:
Black-Panthers-at-Ga-polling-places_840x480.jpg

Armed With Assault Rifles, Black Panthers March for Stacey Abrams - Tennessee Star

I see NOTHING wrong with these gentlemen exercising their rights (and I appreciate their clear trigger discipline -- note the trigger fingers, outside the trigger guard -- very important safety practice. These guys appear to be well trained). But, because they are doing so while holding a Stacey Abrams sign, the right-wingers decided these fellow countrymen and our American brothers were acting like thugs and should be arrested. These are the same people who want open carry, but apparently, they only want open carry for those with whom they agree.

Nothing infuriates me more than people openly hostile to the liberty of others. I don't care who they are.

There are many examples of people demanding their own liberty, but being instantly willing to shit on the liberty of their fellow Americans because they disagree.

REAL understanding of liberty, and TRUE commitment to it, is demanding liberty for those with whom one disagrees.

To me, a solution to many of the problems facing black folks is to give them LIBERTY.

So, one thing of which you may remain certain and upon which you may rely, IM2. It is my commitment to preserving your liberty. You have not just a mere ally, but an active defender.
:beer:

He's threatened me with the police twice and run away every time I've confronted him.

LOL! Pathetic.

This is not about a disagreement on the internet. I have not run. I decided to ignore. Dale doesn't seem to understand what he would face if I took him up on his challenge. As for you, well you're a joke. You call me a racist because you can't face the truth. And in this thread you will learn the truth.
You stamping your feet and pouting doesn't make it true.

I call you a racist because you are. I don't fling that accusation around to people I disagree with; that's a leftist thing when you can't make a rational argument. Y'all have rendered the word damn near meaningless.

LOL! Pathetic.

I call you a racist because you are. I don't fling that accusation around to people I disagree with; that's a leftist thing when you can't make a rational argument. Y'all have rendered the word damn near meaningless.

You call me a racist for accurately hold whites responsible for what they have done. It's a common right wing tactic used when you cannot dispute the evidence. I laugh at people like you and keep posting the evidence.

LOL! Pathetic.

You call me a racist for accurately hold whites responsible for what they have done. It's a common right wing tactic used when you cannot dispute the evidence. I laugh at people like you and keep posting the evidence.
More non-whites than whites have owned black people throughout history.

But I guess blacks owned by whites were DOUBLE WAY MORE ENSLAVED than blacks owned by non-whites.

And of course, to buy something, someone has to sell it to you. Who sold black African slaves?

Black Africans, of course.
Where did the supply of slaves come from? First, the Portuguese themselves kidnapped some Africans. But the bulk of the supply came from the Nigerians. These Nigerian middlemen moved to the interior where they captured other Nigerians who belonged to other communities. The middlemen also purchased many of the slaves from the people in the interior . . . . Many Nigerian middlemen began to depend totally on the slave trade and neglected every other business and occupation. The result was that when the trade was abolished [by England in 1807] these Nigerians began to protest. As years went by and the trade collapsed such Nigerians lost their sources of income and became impoverished.
You're angry at the wrong people.

Researchers find that the states with the highest rates of firearm deaths are also among the states with the weakest gun control laws—even though gun dealers also purchase weapons in states with weak laws to sell in cities and states with stronger regulations.30 The National Rifle Association (NRA) is the nation’s leading lobbying group opposing strong gun regulations, leading many Black Census respondents to disapprove of the organization.31 The NRA’s net favorability rating among Black Census respondents is minus 44 percent, with only 12 percent expressing a favorable opinion of the group.

Politicians pursuing the War on Drugs and “tough on crime” policies in the 1980s and 90s produced dramatic growth in U.S. prison and jail populations. Today, the U.S. incarcerates more people than any other country, locking up 2.2 million people nationwide. Black communities feel the harshest impact of mass incarceration because poverty, unemployment, and de facto segregation drive crime, while racial bias in rates of arrest, charging, conviction, and sentencing increase rates of Black incarceration further.32 As a result of this systemic racism throughout the criminal justice system, Black men are 6 times as likely to be incarcerated as white men, and Black women are nearly twice as likely to be incarcerated as white women. After incarcerated people return to their communities, many states do not automatically restore their rights to vote until parole and probation are complete: 12 states go even further and restrict voting rights even after a person has completed a prison sentence and is no longer on probation or parole.34 Felony disenfranchisement laws were enacted in many southern states as part of a deliberate effort to exclude the growing number of black voters after Reconstruction.

These laws continue to operate as designed: 7.4 percent of the Black voting-age population was disenfranchised in 2016 due to felony convictions.36 This percentage translates to 2.2 million Black citizens who are not allowed to vote. In fact, 6 percent of Black Census respondents who did not vote in 2016 indicated that the reason for not voting was ineligibility due to a felony conviction.

Restoring the voting rights of formerly incarcerated people is popular among Black Census respondents. Eighty-four percent of respondents favor this policy, including 63 percent who strongly favor it. Among Black Census respondents who reported being ineligible to vote in 2016 due to a felony conviction, almost 8 in 10 strongly favor restoring voting rights (79 percent). Across the country, Black-led organizations are mobilizing to restore voting rights to people with past criminal convictions: In 2018, the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, led by Desmond Meade, won a critical victory with the passage of a ballot proposition that restored voting rights to over 1.4 million Floridians and is expected to substantially increase Black political power in the state. In Georgia, Stacey Abrams is advancing an even broader vision of free and fair elections, combatting unfair laws and practices that disproportionately restrict the voting rights of Black citizens.

Black Census respondents’ views on policing and criminal justice stem from lived experiences. While most Black Census respondents want to address matters of crime and safety in their community, such as the violence from gun use, respondents also seek policing that is respectful of the community. Respondents want to see officers held accountable for misconduct and abuse that too often targets Black communities.

Conclusion
With its unprecedented look at the priorities and concerns of Black people in the U.S., the Black Census reveals a high level of agreement about the problems confronting Black communities and the solutions required to address them. It is notable that the most electorally engaged respondents— people who not only vote but also work to register voters, contribute money to political candidates, and hand out campaign material—are largely aligned in concerns and policy preferences with respondents who are less politically engaged. Highly engaged respondents do not need to convince those who are less engaged about what problems are important or even which solutions to adopt, but rather about the effectiveness of taking action. If political leaders are ready to listen to the issues and concerns of Black Census respondents, the community is ready to mobilize.

So we reach the conclusion with no whites willing to discuss real, legit concerns of black people. Instead it seems as those who responded wanted to tell blacks what their concerns ought to be as well as prescribing solutions that have nothing to do with the problems that black see existing in the black community. It's that and the standard dumb ass personal attacks where I am accused of being a racist for saying to whites exactly what the responses in this thread reveals.

Starting next week we will begin looking at concerns the black community has had during the past decade as documented in the Annual Urban League report, "The State of Black America".

2011 Book | soba.iamempowered.com

In this 101st year of the National Urban League, The State of Black America 2011, Jobs Rebuild America: Putting Urban America Back to Work, uses the 12-point Jobs Plan as a springboard to focus on productive solutions for bringing jobs to urban communities and to highlight the programs that we and our affiliates continue to provide for the purpose of elevating the standard of living in urban communities through economic empowerment, education and youth programs, health and quality of life, civic engagement and civil rights.

Forum List

Back