There is no catastrophe so ghastly that we will reform our gun laws

I would probably agree that population or population density might play a role. But look at this one:

New Jersey has the most gun owners per square mile of any state at 147 gun owners / sqmi. They also have the highest normal population density at 1189 people / sqmi. They are only ranked 21st in the country for gun murders at 2.8 per 100,000 people.

Louisiana on the other hand which is first in the country for gun murder rate with 7.7 per 100,000 people is 23rd for gun owner population density with 46 gun owners / sqmi and 24th for normal population density with 105 people / sqmi.

And New Mexico only has 5 gun owners / sqmi. Yet they rank 13th for gun murders with 3.3 / 100,000.

Not as tight a correlation as I might have expected. Still gotta say there must be something else going on.
The 'something else' that is going on is very very simple to understand. The gun owner stats are based on people possessing LEGAL guns. Factor in the illegal guns out there and your stats will make sense to any one with an IQ higher than a slice of Wonder bread.

"illegal guns"???? The only "illegal guns" I am aware of are fully automatic machine guns was manufactured after 1986. Do you suppose there are many of those in civilian hands in this nation?
Actually there are lots of machine guns manufactured after 1986. All of them restricted, however. Google Post-Sample.

Isn't Wyoming 50th in population? There may be a clue for you...:lol:

I would probably agree that population or population density might play a role. But look at this one:

New Jersey has the most gun owners per square mile of any state at 147 gun owners / sqmi. They also have the highest normal population density at 1189 people / sqmi. They are only ranked 21st in the country for gun murders at 2.8 per 100,000 people.

Louisiana on the other hand which is first in the country for gun murder rate with 7.7 per 100,000 people is 23rd for gun owner population density with 46 gun owners / sqmi and 24th for normal population density with 105 people / sqmi.

And New Mexico only has 5 gun owners / sqmi. Yet they rank 13th for gun murders with 3.3 / 100,000.

Not as tight a correlation as I might have expected. Still gotta say there must be something else going on.

If you take the gang bangers in New Orleans out of the Louisiana stats, you would get a very different answer. The vast majority of gun deaths in this state is black on black gang violence. Just like every other major city in the country.

The real problem in this country is unemployable, uneducated, fatherless, young black males. Fix that and you reduce the gun deaths significantly.
Culture of death. That's all it is.

If you take the gang bangers in New Orleans out of the Louisiana stats, you would get a very different answer. The vast majority of gun deaths in this state is black on black gang violence. Just like every other major city in the country.

The real problem in this country is unemployable, uneducated, fatherless, young black males. Fix that and you reduce the gun deaths significantly.

Careful. People get in deep trouble for saying there is a culture problem in our country and in our inner cities in particular.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The 'something else' that is going on is very very simple to understand. The gun owner stats are based on people possessing LEGAL guns. Factor in the illegal guns out there and your stats will make sense to any one with an IQ higher than a slice of Wonder bread.

"illegal guns"???? The only "illegal guns" I am aware of are fully automatic machine guns was manufactured after 1986. Do you suppose there are many of those in civilian hands in this nation?
Actually there are lots of machine guns manufactured after 1986. All of them restricted, however. Google Post-Sample.

I understand that. But, Mathbud1 was going off about "illegal guns" and I have to object to the term because there are no firearms that are not available to the public except fully automatic machine guns was manufactured after 1986. If it is fully automatic but manufactured before 1986, you can own one.

It's interesting that the radical left isn't talking much about the latest left wing mass shooter. It's all slickster generic stuff designed to impeach the 2nd Amendment. More people are killed in car accidents. What does it take for the FDA or the IRS or the freaking HSA to require every American to wear an approved helmet in a vehicle and undergo a breathalizer to make the car work?

Careful. People get in deep trouble for saying there is a culture problem in our country and in our inner cities in particular.

The TRUTH hurts some. SO be it. It is the TRUTH.

Those PC folks had better learn to open their eyes and DEAL with it instead of hiding from it. That's why Society is in the sorry shape it's in.

SOMEONE HAS TO SAY IT.

I understand that. But, Mathbud1 was going off about "illegal guns" and I have to object to the term because there are no firearms that are not available to the public except fully automatic machine guns was manufactured after 1986. If it is fully automatic but manufactured before 1986, you can own one.

I didn't bring up illegal guns. I was responding to another poster. And my understanding of what they were talking about was illegally obtained guns more than guns that are themselves illegal to own.

The TRUTH hurts some. SO be it. It is the TRUTH.

Those PC folks had better learn to open their eyes and DEAL with it instead of hiding from it. That's why Society is in the sorry shape it's in.

SOMEONE HAS TO SAY IT.

Totally agree. I very much believe that culture is a big problem.

I have all the sympathy in the world for anyone who has lost a child or a loved one......right up until the point where they try to take away my rights. Then I have zero sympathy.

Personally, I don't know why they're not going Kaiser Soze on whoever killed their kid

There is no catastrophe so ghastly that America will reform its gun laws - The Week

Look, we've collectively decided, as a country, that the occasional massacre is okay with us. It's the price we're willing to pay for our precious Second Amendment freedoms. We're content to forfeit the lives of a few dozen schoolkids a year as long as we get to keep our guns. The people have spoken, in a cheering civics-class example of democracy in action.

It's hard to imagine what ghastly catastrophe could possibly change America's minds about guns if the little bloody bookbags of Newtown did not. After that atrocity, it seemed as if we would finally enact some obvious, long-overdue half-measures. But perfectly reasonable, moderate legislation expanding background checks and banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines was summarily killed in the Senate for no reason other than that a sufficient number of United States senators are owned by the NRA. It made our official position as a nation nakedly explicit: we don't care about any number of murdered children, no matter how many, or how young. We want our guns.

Saying that the occasional massacre is okay or the price of keeping our 2nd amendment right is incredibly stupid. It's amazing how much the left will stretch the truth and put words into other people's mouths.

These mass shootings will continue and no law will change that. Sick individuals walk this earth with the rest of us.

Disarming the sane and innocent will have no affect on the crazy and the criminal. Sad, but true.

As long as there are people out there who would kill people, I prefer to be able to protect myself against them.

Fear the psychopaths, not the citizens who cherish all of their rights.

If a very powerful politician lost his daughter/son in one of these massacres with a democrat in the White House, you may see some traction...

Short of that; nothing. It's too politically costly for anyone to be the grown up and point out the idiocy of the right wing on this.
All you anti-gun loons need to do is present a sound arguoemt for moe gun control - one that doesn't rely on emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty - and the American people will support you.

Good luck with that.
:lol:

Some recent proposed gun control measures were appropriate, others not.

Seeking to help the states report and update the NICS database more timely and comprehensively was one of the good proposals; background checks are both Constitutional...
Really? Cite the ruling.

and effective in keeping guns out of the hands of felons and those adjudicated mentally ill,
Really? How many people have been legitimately and ultimately stopped from buying a gun by a background check?
How many of these were proseucted?

Some recent proposed gun control measures were appropriate, others not.

Seeking to help the states report and update the NICS database more timely and comprehensively was one of the good proposals; background checks are both Constitutional and effective in keeping guns out of the hands of felons and those adjudicated mentally ill, as well as other prohibited persons – provided the database is kept current.

Seeking to ban ‘assault weapons’ and high capacity magazines would be examples of inappropriate proposed measures.

In fact, assault weapons are already subject to sufficient restrictions, as the AR 15, AK 47, and other similar semi-automatic rifles available to the general public are in no way ‘assault weapons,’ where their ban would be pointless.

Moreover, rifles of all types represent less than 2 percent of gun crimes, ARs and AKs alone likely constitute an even smaller amount. Consequently, ‘banning’ these types of rifles would have little or no effect on reducing overall gun deaths in America, in addition to being Constitutionally problematic given the lack of evidence that their prohibition would have the desired effect of enhancing public safety in the context of a compelling governmental interest.

Mental health issues is the cause of these tragedies, with firearms merely the symptom, and it’s pointless to treat only the symptom while ignoring the actual cause of the problem.

If I have ever read anything even remotely correct that you've ever posted this is the best so far. For all the rest of the liberal drivel, you're spot on with this.

I think we're too quick to drug people, that seems to be a bigger problem than anything else. Crazy people will kill each other with anything they can get their hands on.

Our prisons prove it.

There is no catastrophe so ghastly that America will reform its gun laws - The Week

Look, we've collectively decided, as a country, that the occasional massacre is okay with us. It's the price we're willing to pay for our precious Second Amendment freedoms. We're content to forfeit the lives of a few dozen schoolkids a year as long as we get to keep our guns. The people have spoken, in a cheering civics-class example of democracy in action.

It's hard to imagine what ghastly catastrophe could possibly change America's minds about guns if the little bloody bookbags of Newtown did not. After that atrocity, it seemed as if we would finally enact some obvious, long-overdue half-measures. But perfectly reasonable, moderate legislation expanding background checks and banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines was summarily killed in the Senate for no reason other than that a sufficient number of United States senators are owned by the NRA. It made our official position as a nation nakedly explicit: we don't care about any number of murdered children, no matter how many, or how young. We want our guns.
While the intent of what you're saying makes sense, do you really believe banning assault weapons, etc., will really keep such weapons out of the hands of someone who really wants them for nefarious purpose? Usually these mass-shooting crazies are suicidal, which means they are willing to sell or trade anything they own to obtain the weaponry they desire. And we both know that, ban or no ban, if one is willing to pay the price they will get what they want.

I have all the sympathy in the world for anyone who has lost a child or a loved one......right up until the point where they try to take away my rights. Then I have zero sympathy.

Piss on that grave

Suck it up loser......second amendment rules

While the intent of what you're saying makes sense, do you really believe banning assault weapons, etc., will really keep such weapons out of the hands of someone who really wants them for nefarious purpose? Usually these mass-shooting crazies are suicidal, which means they are willing to sell or trade anything they own to obtain the weaponry they desire. And we both know that, ban or no ban, if one is willing to pay the price they will get what they want.

I just don't want to make their jobs so damned easy. Buy whatever gun you want with as big a magazine, no questions asked. Crazy as a loon? We cant prevent your god given right to a gun.

Forum List

Back