This is America, speak English!

I live 35 miles from Mexico, and go there very often. Fortunately, Mexicans do not have a bigoted attitude about people who don't speak Spanish. I never have any problems speaking English in Mexico. In fact, they are very gracious about dealing with people who don't speak Spanish.

That was my experience in Mexico as well. They were quite often better educated than whites in America.

And other countries where I've traveled have been better educated as well.

One time, we stepped into a business to ask directions. It turned out to be a beauty salon. The young woman who was styling hair stepped out on the street with us and, while directing us, actually apologized for her "poor" English.

Many Americans take pride in being stupid and poorly educated.

Like the saying goes, war is god's way of teaching Americans world geography.
How obnoxious and ignorant.

And to quote Teddy Roosevelt, our FIRST PROGRESSIVE President and the FOUNDER OF THE PROGRESSIVE PARTY.....

theodore_roosevelt_quote_immigration.jpg
I believe in Roosevelt and men like him who were American leaders before it was sold in 1913, - TODAY, American military has place in much of the world, and the rest is hypocrisy.

And to quote Teddy Roosevelt, our FIRST PROGRESSIVE President and the FOUNDER OF THE PROGRESSIVE PARTY.....

I believe in Roosevelt and men like him who were American leaders before it was sold in 1913, - TODAY, American military has place in much of the world, and the rest is hypocrisy.

If you've got a problem with our projection of military might, you would not have liked Teddy very much at all.

If you've got a problem with our projection of military might, you would not have liked Teddy very much at all.
Empty statement.
"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men." -Woodrow Wilson, after signing the Federal Reserve into existence.

the fact remains that Hispanics learn English more quickly than the Germans, French, etc., in times past

What they despise is white evangelical protestant hypocrisy

Empty statement.

Accurate statement. Why you then decided to switch over to Wilson, I don't know (or much care).

the fact remains that Hispanics learn English more quickly than the Germans, French, etc., in times past

What they despise is white evangelical protestant hypocrisy

what they despise is people who treat them like they are bunch of idiots and condescend to them....the Democrats.....and those who are very racial towards them and lump them all together,if you are a Mexican,you must be Illegal....the Republicans.....and please dont tell me this attitude from both sides does not exist....i have seen it right here in these threads and in real life...and i realize not ALL Democrats and Republicans are this way....but there are a lot who are....

Last edited:
I hate rude people on cell phones, anyway. Whatever language they speak. If someone can't tell Navajo from Spanish...SO? I don't miss the forced irony. I sure as hell notice people are writing in ENGLISH their point(s) across. My take from this issue, is that lingual diversity is divisive, and having one nationally identified language unifies us. I don't see how creating an lingual apartheid system (Spanish/English) benefits anyone.

Last edited:

Was the woman who had been speaking Navajo, on her way back to Asia, where the Navajo's ancestors came from?

The only original natives here, would speak Dinosaur.

Which points out how silly it is to "demand" that people speak a particular language here.
Sure, life is going to be easier for most if they can speak English. But if folks choose to speak a different language - that's there choice. It is possible to thrive without speaking English if you sequester yourself in a community that speaks the different language you prefer.

I have a friend whose parents immigrated from China. They live in China Town in Manhattan. His mother never learned English. She spent most of her adult life living in China Town and never learned English, and she was fine. And I'm fine with that. Around the world, many people speak more than one language. In fact, around the world, Americans are a joke because they almost always speak only English and expect people in other countries to speak English. That's kind of ironic when you read this thread. In America, speak English, you demand. But when Americans travel or live in other countries, they expect people in those countries to speak English. Funny.:lol:

Last edited:
In fact, around the world, Americans are a joke because they almost always speak only English and expect people in other countries to speak English.

That is not the case.

Yes it is, very much so. It is one way people in other countries identify someone as American, because that person only speaks English and expects everyone else to speak English. This is a universal joke about Americans.

In fact, around the world, Americans are a joke because they almost always speak only English and expect people in other countries to speak English.

That is not the case.

Yes it is, very much so. It is one way people in other countries identify someone as American, because that person only speaks English and expects everyone else to speak English. This is a universal joke about Americans.

No, it's not "a universal joke." Many countries have signs, maps, menus, etc. in English because it is such a prevalent language internationally. People in many countries are happy to run into a native speaker of English because it gives them an opportunity to practice the English they have learned while demonstrating generosity and pride in their country to a foreign visitor. So no, the pretentious assholes you may run with are not "universal," but English is by now quite widespread.

And before you bother, the fact is that many Americans attempt to learn something of the language before and/or during their travels. Your anti-American attitude and stereotyping are the real jokes here.

Forum List

Back