This is America, speak English!

If you've got a problem with our projection of military might, you would not have liked Teddy very much at all.
Empty statement.

Accurate statement. Why you then decided to switch over to Wilson, I don't know (or much care).
Perhaps because you are ignorant to know and are only good at throwing around empty statements without backing up your claims and editing out posts of others when it makes you look stupid, but the part you edited out clearly proves my point.

In fact, around the world, Americans are a joke because they almost always speak only English and expect people in other countries to speak English.

That is not the case.

Yes it is, very much so. It is one way people in other countries identify someone as American, because that person only speaks English and expects everyone else to speak English. This is a universal joke about Americans.
You're a true ding bat. English is the default language spoken to some extent by about 1 billion people around the world.

I know a lot of Brits, Czechs and Australians who couldn't babble a foreign word if their lives depended on it.

Do you have any idea what pompous ditz you come off as, seriously?

Devi avere problemi di controllo

Empty statement.

Accurate statement. Why you then decided to switch over to Wilson, I don't know (or much care).
Perhaps because you are ignorant to know and are only good at throwing around empty statements without backing up your claims and editing out posts of others when it makes you look stupid, but the part you edited out clearly proves my point.

England is suffering under the immigration flood. London is being called Londonistan because of the influx of non English speaking Pakistanis. Irony upon irony here. Go back to England? The west is suffering from a neurosis called" diversity". When in Rome...used to imply, acclimation. Lesser educated, more populated countries have no were else to go. I understand that. But to demand sensitivity to "their" culture, and acceptance, when these non English speakers neither respect nor are sensitive to American/western culture or it's laws, that is the height of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
That is not the case.

Yes it is, very much so. It is one way people in other countries identify someone as American, because that person only speaks English and expects everyone else to speak English. This is a universal joke about Americans.

No, it's not "a universal joke." Many countries have signs, maps, menus, etc. in English because it is such a prevalent language internationally. People in many countries are happy to run into a native speaker of English because it gives them an opportunity to practice the English they have learned while demonstrating generosity and pride in their country to a foreign visitor. So no, the pretentious assholes you may run with are not "universal," but English is by now quite widespread.

And before you bother, the fact is that many Americans attempt to learn something of the language before and/or during their travels. Your anti-American attitude and stereotyping are the real jokes here.

English is widespread because of the British Empire, not because of America. It is widespread because the British travel around the world, and live around the world, far more than Americans do.

I don't 'run into' people. I live and work in various foreign countries and have for over 10 years. I work with people from those countries and other countries in an international environment, not in an American environment. Currently, where I work, there are only 2 Americans, I and one other. Everyone else is from a wide variety of countries. I don't know the actual count, but I would estimate at least 20. In my carpool there are people from 3 different countries. It has been the same in the various countries I've lived and worked in. I am not a tourist, not a private or business tourist. My contact is with the average people from countries around the world. They are not "pretentious assholes," though you are one indeed.

Nowadays, English is the international languge, and it has much to do with business and tourism, and the fact of American's interests around the world impacts that a lot. But, originally, and essentially, the reason for English being the international language today is due to the impact of the British Empire in the past. In most places where one may spend time and spend weeks or months or longer in that area, in the supermarket, for example, you are far more likely to find British foods rather than American. It is the British who live and travel overseas far more than Americans.

The arrogance and ignorance of Americans is quite amazing. You are a joke to people around the world for this arrogance and ignorance. You are a joke because most of you can only speak English and expect everyone else to speak English. You are a joke because you seem to think you are the center of the universe.

Certainly there are people in every country who only speak their native language, but by far more than Americans, people in other countries tend to be bilingual at least, with many speaking more than 2 languages. And certainly there are people who are pleased to meet English speakers so they can practice their English, but these very people are even far more pleased when they find you are able to communicate with them in their own language. Try it sometime.

Last edited:

No, it's not "a universal joke." Many countries have signs, maps, menus, etc. in English because it is such a prevalent language internationally. People in many countries are happy to run into a native speaker of English because it gives them an opportunity to practice the English they have learned while demonstrating generosity and pride in their country to a foreign visitor. So no, the pretentious assholes you may run with are not "universal," but English is by now quite widespread.

And before you bother, the fact is that many Americans attempt to learn something of the language before and/or during their travels. Your anti-American attitude and stereotyping are the real jokes here.

English is widespread because of the British Empire, not because of America. It is widespread because the British travel around the world, and live around the world, far more than Americans do.

I don't 'run into' people. I live and work in various foreign countries and have for over 10 years. I work with people from those countries and other countries in an international environment, not in an American environment. Currently, where I work, there are only 2 Americans, I and one other. Everyone else is from a wide variety of countries. I don't know the actual count, but I would estimate at least 20. It has been the same in the various countries I've lived and worked in. I am not a tourist, not a private or business tourist. My contact is with the average people from countries around the world. They are not "pretentious assholes," though you are one indeed.

Nowadays, English is the international languge, and it has much to do with business and tourism, and the fact of American's interests around the world impacts that a lot. But, originally, and essentially, the reason for English being the international language today is due to the impact of the British Empire in the past. In most places where one may spend time and spend weeks or months or longer in that area, in the supermarket, for example, you are far more likely to find British foods rather than American. It is the British who live and travel overseas far more than Americans. The arrogance and ignorance of Americans is quite amazing. You are a joke to people around the world for this arrogance and ignorance. You are a joke because most of you can only speak English and expect everyone else to speak English. You are a joke because you seem to think you are the center of the universe. Certainly there are people in every country who only speak their native language, but by far more than Americans, people in other countries tend to be bilingual at least, with many speaking more than 2 languages.
Stop embarrassing yourself. There are few things more debasing than a puny dingbat taking airs.

Remember our little chat about ditzy platitudes? How can I help you if you refuse to help yourself?!

the fact remains that Hispanics learn English more quickly than the Germans, French, etc., in times past

That must explain telamundo, Univision, Hispanic Times, etc., and why every Hispanic I passed on the bike path yesterday the parents were speaking to their children in Spanish.

many of those kids speak English....and a lot of the parents do to.....many will speak Spanish in front of you just to piss you off.....and i cant blame them....when those who were born and raised here, hear people grouping them in with Illegals just because they are Mexicans,well they feel you might as well get the treatment....

Was the woman who had been speaking Navajo, on her way back to Asia, where the Navajo's ancestors came from?

The only original natives here, would speak Dinosaur.

Which points out how silly it is to "demand" that people speak a particular language here.
Sure, life is going to be easier for most if they can speak English. But if folks choose to speak a different language - that's there choice. It is possible to thrive without speaking English if you sequester yourself in a community that speaks the different language you prefer.

I have a friend whose parents immigrated from China. They live in China Town in Manhattan. His mother never learned English. She spent most of her adult life living in China Town and never learned English, and she was fine. And I'm fine with that. Around the world, many people speak more than one language. In fact, around the world, Americans are a joke because they almost always speak only English and expect people in other countries to speak English. That's kind of ironic when you read this thread. In America, speak English, you demand. But when Americans travel or live in other countries, they expect people in those countries to speak English. Funny.:lol:

i dont know if i went to a foreign country i would expect to be hearing their language....

That is not the case.

i have to agree.....i have had many a foreigner living at various times on my route and they used to enjoy talking....they said its good practice and English is a desired language in their homeland.....so i guess its how you look at it....a lot of American culture is every where.....

I don't 'run into' people. I live and work in various foreign countries and have for over 10 years. I work with people from those countries and other countries in an international environment, not in an American environment. Currently, where I work, there are only 2 Americans, I and one other. Everyone else is from a wide variety of countries. I don't know the actual count, but I would estimate at least 20. In my carpool there are people from 3 different countries. It has been the same in the various countries I've lived and worked in. I am not a tourist, not a private or business tourist. My contact is with the average people from countries around the world. They are not "pretentious assholes," though you are one indeed.

Nowadays, English is the international languge, and it has much to do with business and tourism, and the fact of American's interests around the world impacts that a lot. But, originally, and essentially, the reason for English being the international language today is due to the impact of the British Empire in the past. In most places where one may spend time and spend weeks or months or longer in that area, in the supermarket, for example, you are far more likely to find British foods rather than American. It is the British who live and travel overseas far more than Americans.

The arrogance and ignorance of Americans is quite amazing. You are a joke to people around the world for this arrogance and ignorance. You are a joke because most of you can only speak English and expect everyone else to speak English. You are a joke because you seem to think you are the center of the universe.

Certainly there are people in every country who only speak their native language, but by far more than Americans, people in other countries tend to be bilingual at least, with many speaking more than 2 languages. And certainly there are people who are pleased to meet English speakers so they can practice their English, but these very people are even far more pleased when they find you are able to communicate with them in their own language. Try it sometime.
English is widespread because of the British Empire, not because of America

so American Movies,Products and other things have no impact?....

English is widespread because of the British Empire, not because of America

so American Movies,Products and other things have no impact?....

Read my post more carefully. I said the reason it is an interntional language today has its beginnings in the British Empire. There are countries all over the world that have had English as their second languge because of the British Empire, for example India, Pakistan, all of the ME countries, many countries in Africa, etc. That continues to impact because many British people live outside the US, and many travel far more frequently and extensively than Americans. However, in more current times, since WWII, the impact of American culture and its business and political interests around the world have impacted the use of English as an international language. But, my point is that English being the international language is not solely down to US influence and if Americans think so, they are not only mistaken but arrogant.

i have to agree.....i have had many a foreigner living at various times on my route and they used to enjoy talking....they said its good practice and English is a desired language in their homeland.....so i guess its how you look at it....a lot of American culture is every where.....

A lot of American culture can be see in quite a few places, but it is far more resented than you imagine. I've sat around the dinner table with people from other countries, people who have become friends and feel they can speak freely around me, and they resent that American culture has seeped so much into their culture. They resent it.

I knew a women who was standing in line at a store, all the sudden security came up to her and, when she finished her purchased escorted her to her car. Earlier, while shopping two Asians men were overheard by an undercover security guard who also spoke Vietnamese, that the two were going to car Jack her and rob and rape her.

There is the issue of security that is seldom spoken of.

Empty statement.

Proves what point? I informed you that if you have a problem with American military power abroad then Teddy Roosevelt is not a president of whom you would be fond. You responded by quoting Woodrow Wilson, which makes no sense.

I knew a women who was standing in line at a store, all the sudden security came up to her and, when she finished her purchased escorted her to her car. Earlier, while shopping two Asians men were overheard by an undercover security guard who also spoke Vietnamese, that the two were going to car Jack her and rob and rape her.

Considering the far, far, far greater number of violent crimes that are planned, whispered about, and carried out by native English speakers, there doesn't seem to be a larger point behind that example.

Anecdotal hearsay. After having Mexicans ram their holier than thou culture down my American English speaking throat, it ticks me off no end to read all the excuses for them not acclimating. We are all speaking English here if we want to be understood. Now, if I wanted to go "back to England" , even they have immigrant issues. And, ironically, the troubles in Ireland (that lasted over 250 years) ended because of immigrants from Africa, not some overreaching principals.

Last edited:

A lot of American culture can be see in quite a few places, but it is far more resented than you imagine. I've sat around the dinner table with people from other countries, people who have become friends and feel they can speak freely around me, and they resent that American culture has seeped so much into their culture. They resent it.

So, you hang around with anti-American assholes. Gee, I wonder why that is...?

Considering the far, far, far greater number of violent crimes that are planned, whispered about, and carried out by native English speakers, there doesn't seem to be a larger point behind that example.

Whispering? These two could boldly plot in front of everyone.

Nowadays, English is the international languge, and it has much to do with business and tourism, and the fact of American's interests around the world impacts that a lot. But, originally, and essentially, the reason for English being the international language today is due to the impact of the British Empire in the past.

Not for the past 60 years or so (which is the time during which English has become the virtual lingua franca, by the way).

:rolleyes:

Hypocritical, pretentious A-hole. Called it right out of the gate. Thanks for exposing yourself so completely.

Forum List

Back