Thrown in jail for unpaid medical debt

People in the richest country in the history of the world are being thrown into jail for getting sick. That is unconscionable. We must end this crisis. Eliminate all medical debt. Medicare for All now.

Everyone should have health care. Everyone should live in dignity. No exceptions.

"You wouldn't think you'd go to jail over medical bills": County in rural Kansas is jailing people over unpaid medical debt
If accurate this is a disgrace

It's not accurate. The thread title is misleading. Tres Biggs was not not jailed for failure to pay her medical bills. She were jailed for failure to appear in court. The following excerpts are from the OP's link:

“Tres Biggs went to jail for failing to appear in court for unpaid medical bills.”

“In rural Coffeyville, Kansas, where the poverty rate is twice the national average, attorneys like Michael Hassenplug have built successful law practices representing medical providers to collect debt owed by their neighbors.

“I'm just doing my job," Hassenplug said. "They want the money collected, and I'm trying to do my job as best I can by following the law."

“That law was put in place at Hassenplug's own recommendation to the local judge. The attorney uses that law by asking the court to direct people with unpaid medical bills to appear in court every three months and state they are too poor to pay in what is called a "debtors exam."

“If two hearings are missed, the judge issues an arrest warrant for contempt of court. Bail is set at $500.”

CONCLUSION: Tres Biggs was not jailed because she didn't pay her medical bills; instead, she was jailed for TWICE failing to appear in court as directed.
You did not quite comprehend what this jurisdiction is doing. Since when does any person have to show up for a “debtor’s exam”. What the hell is that? The law is almost a form of harassment. You have to show up every three months to prove you are too poor to pay your bills. I have never heard of such a thing. It is not reinstitution of debtors prison but it is very close. The court in this case has become chief debtor collector, jury and executioner, I.e. throwing a debtor in jail. It is outrageous.

People in the richest country in the history of the world are being thrown into jail for getting sick. That is unconscionable. We must end this crisis. Eliminate all medical debt. Medicare for All now.

Everyone should have health care. Everyone should live in dignity. No exceptions.

"You wouldn't think you'd go to jail over medical bills": County in rural Kansas is jailing people over unpaid medical debt

It's not accurate. The thread title is misleading. Tres Biggs was not not jailed for failure to pay her medical bills. She were jailed for failure to appear in court. The following excerpts are from the OP's link:

“Tres Biggs went to jail for failing to appear in court for unpaid medical bills.”

“In rural Coffeyville, Kansas, where the poverty rate is twice the national average, attorneys like Michael Hassenplug have built successful law practices representing medical providers to collect debt owed by their neighbors.

“I'm just doing my job," Hassenplug said. "They want the money collected, and I'm trying to do my job as best I can by following the law."

“That law was put in place at Hassenplug's own recommendation to the local judge. The attorney uses that law by asking the court to direct people with unpaid medical bills to appear in court every three months and state they are too poor to pay in what is called a "debtors exam."

“If two hearings are missed, the judge issues an arrest warrant for contempt of court. Bail is set at $500.”

CONCLUSION: Tres Biggs was not jailed because she didn't pay her medical bills; instead, she was jailed for TWICE failing to appear in court as directed.
Since when does any person have to show up for a “debtor’s exam”. What the hell is that? The law is almost a form of harassment. You have to show up every three months to prove you are too poor to pay your bills. I have never heard of such a thing. It is not reinstitution of debtors prison but it is very close. The court in this case has become chief debtor collector, jury and executioner, I.e. throwing a debtor in jail. It is outrageous.
There is nothing outrageous about it at all. The debtor gets to skate on his debts as long as he is too poor to pay them, but if his financial situation improves, shouldn't he have to pay up? There is nothinhg outrageous about him having to show up every three months to show he still can't afford to pay his bills.

Since when does any person have to show up for a “debtor’s exam”. What the hell is that? The law is almost a form of harassment. You have to show up every three months to prove you are too poor to pay your bills. I have never heard of such a thing. It is not reinstitution of debtors prison but it is very close. The court in this case has become chief debtor collector, jury and executioner, I.e. throwing a debtor in jail. It is outrageous.
There is nothing outrageous about it at all. The debtor gets to skate on his debts as long as he is too poor to pay them, but if his financial situation improves, shouldn't he have to pay up? There is nothinhg outrageous about him having to show up every three months to show he still can't afford to pay his bills.

It is completely outrageous. It is like having the debtor in some form of house arrest or probation. Being in debt is a civil matter not a criminal one. What are we in the 18th century?

It is completely outrageous. It is like having the debtor in some form of house arrest or probation. Being in debt is a civil matter not a criminal one. What are we in the 18th century?
lol He was called to court for a civil matter, not paying his bill. He went to jail for contempt of court after missing two consecutive court dates. Did he miss those dates because he came into some money and would have had to pay his debt if he showed up?

lol He was called to court for a civil matter, not paying his bill. He went to jail for contempt of court after missing two consecutive court dates. Did he miss those dates because he came into some money and would have had to pay his debt if he showed up?
A debtors exam is something I never heard of. It is alsolutely outrageous. As I said the court is acting like chief debt collector. It is using its powers of contempt to coerce those without money to pay debts they can not afford. So, if you have to show up every three months can you leave to get a new job? Can you leave to stay with a sick parent? It is third world bullshit is what this county is.

you shouldn't go to jail because you got cancer.

that is DISGUSTING!
According to what is being said, the person was jailed for not appearing in court like they were supposed to and it was two times that they failed to show up. What I would like to know is why they weren't there.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. Do keep in mind that they could've been jailed sooner after not showing up the first time which is just like being fired from a job. Depending on the kind of boss that you have, a person can be terminated right after the first time that they don't show up on a day that they are supposed to be there at work.

Let me guess...Money for new cars, fine dinning, and vacations, but no money to pay their medical bills.

Who'da thunk?

This is what really happened:
Tres Biggs went to jail for failing to appear in court

it goes on to say that he was to appear in court over "unpaid medical bills"... but he was not jailed for them, he was jailed for defying the court.

Last edited:
I've noticed that since it was posted that the individual was jailed for failure to appear before the court, not actually the medical bill, basqueromance has been quiet. The income exam is no doubt a "Means Test," to determine an eligibility threshold for the individual. The Veteran's Administration Hospitals do the same thing. If the person has no Service Connected Disabilities, their eligibility is determined by their income. If their income is very low, they can qualify for free medical care (with some exceptions) and if the individual does have Service Connected Disabilities and the disabilities are minimal, they can be seen at no cost for the disabilities, but other care is restricted, unless their income is very low. This test is administered on an annual basis. So, the court most likely does something similar, however, in the court's case, they most likely have to determine whether the individual concerned has gained some additional income in order to meet some minimal payment. You would only be jailed if it could be shown that you had the financial means to pay for the care, but just decided not to and thus, would sit in jail for theft of services, until you coughed up the cash. In short, if you can pay for it, you pay for it, or you're penalized. If you can't pay for it, they hold off until you can.

I've noticed that since it was posted that the individual was jailed for failure to appear before the court, not actually the medical bill, basqueromance has been quiet. .

that's because it takes time to do the proper research with these things. i never "stay quiet" intentionally. i'm fightin! i'm still fightin'! I'm fightin to prove they went to jail unfairly!

NEVER BACK DOWN! NEVER BACK DOWN! NEVER BACK DOWN! NEVER BACK DOWN!

I've noticed that since it was posted that the individual was jailed for failure to appear before the court, not actually the medical bill, basqueromance has been quiet. .

that's because it takes time to do the proper research with these things. i never "stay quiet" intentionally. i'm fightin! i'm still fightin'! I'm fightin to prove they went to jail unfairly!

Time to do research? You mean like read the threads already on the forum to see that one already exists? Or reading your own link showing that they went to jail for failure to appear. Not failure to pay. Which is it?

That's a movie quote isn't it? is that from Galaxy Quest? I vaguely recall it
EI7dGdYWsAAiiWw

Galaxy Quest is too nerdy for me. never heard of it

The proper recourse is to SUE for payment and get a court ordered settlement ONE TIME -- not harass folks like some seedy debt collection agency calling you twice a day at work...

What this attorney is doing IS harassment.. But any stretch of the imagination.. With the power of the JAILS behind him because of how he "changed the law"...

It's a fucking nasty "change" and should be reversed...

People in the richest country in the history of the world are being thrown into jail for getting sick. That is unconscionable. We must end this crisis. Eliminate all medical debt. Medicare for All now.\

More than that, at 60 per day in the one story I saw, and only one even having a lawyer, it would seem that this is happening to mostly all whites.

None of those generous healthcare benefits afforded to Blacks, Asians or Foreigners by the government?

Did I ever tell about the time talking to a Walmart cashier, he told me of the Asian foreigner who came in each month buying around $4,000 worth of food all paid for by welfare or some other government program which the guy then went out and resold for a profit through his business? (restaurant?)

The kicker is that the guy whose idea it was to do this (sue these people over medical bills) is the very same guy now being paid by its enforcement profiting by prosecuting these people? I bet putting them in jail at the state's expense will help them pay their bills!

One guy was working two jobs and had only $50-$150 to show for it at the end of the month, unable to get healthcare.

I guess we know where Obama's ACA went.

Don't look to find IM2 here protesting this.

Ah! More of that greatness and shining beacon on the hill America supposedly is! Awesome! While the politicians shit on the people,the people get thrown in jail for debt they can't pay. Can only imagine the mental gymnastics people are going to use to justify this shit.
You called that right on.

Only lowlife degenerate beggars would believe that asking grown adults to pay their own way would require "mental gymnastics".
Come on guys...you were raised to pave your own way...stop being such pussies. PAY YOUR OWN FUCKING WAY!
No need to get personal Huckleberry.
You know exactly zero about me, my family and/or my healthcare stance.

When unable to defend a position you make it all personal. We see it here everyday.

So I guess Obama care didn't fix a damn thing...just like we said....you can't lower costs by having the deep pockets of DC paying the bills.....competition folks....there is the key...get the feds out of it and bring it closer to home....

It didn't lower the costs because it addressed absolutely none of the cost side. You have hospitals complaining all the time about Medicare lowering reimbursements. Or in other words, lowering costs.

Forum List

Back