To claim asylum you must be physically in the US .

I don't know what you're talking about. Mexico already busted a guy in the caravan for being an M-16 gang member who was waiting to get in.

These people need to be vetted. These people need to be investigated as to their claim. It's not like these people are Americans who are on social media and the internet. There are no records of these people and our government needs to locate any possible records from their governments.

Dude...................if you are gonna try to scare people about the caravan, at least TRY to get the terms and names right, okay?

An M-16 is a type of assault rifle, used by the military.

The gang you are trying to scare people with is actually MS-13, which is their abbreviation for their gang name, Mara Salvatrucha.

I know it's hard for you conservatives to keep from mixing up your talking points about gun control and the caravan, but please, do try to keep them straight.

I don't know what you're talking about. Mexico already busted a guy in the caravan for being an M-16 gang member who was waiting to get in.

These people need to be vetted. These people need to be investigated as to their claim. It's not like these people are Americans who are on social media and the internet. There are no records of these people and our government needs to locate any possible records from their governments.

Dude...................if you are gonna try to scare people about the caravan, at least TRY to get the terms and names right, okay?

The gang you are trying to scare people with is actually MS-13, which is their abbreviation for their gang name, Mara Salvatrucha.

I know it's hard for you conservatives to keep from mixing up your talking points about gun control and the caravan, but please, do try to keep them straight.
You’re right, cause the MS-13 dude is far more dangerous than the M-16

Yep, you know you're really lost your argument when a typo has to be inserted into the conversation.

Once they turned down the offer of asylum they lost the right to ask it of us.

Making shit up again?

They can still ask . Sure makes thier case worse .
They can ask to be taller and thinner too. Once asylum is refused the right to ask for asylum someplace else is terminated .
Not sure what you mean by some place else. If you are applying for US asylum at the border and the customs agent is not convince that there is creditable fear, then you will be denied. If the agent believes you are not telling the truth then he can hold you for summary deportation and you would not be able to enter the country legally for 5 years. In either case the petitioner can request that his petition be reviewed by a judge. If the petition is accepted, then the person may continue the asylum process. If not, the person will be deported. The petitioner can still continue the appeal but it would probably require a lawyer and could take up a year. So for most petitioners, if they are turned down by an agent at the border, that is most likely the end unless they can afford a lawyer.

The best way to get asylum is to enter the country with a visa, hire an immigration lawyer to represent you. The lawyer will help prepare the petition on the appropriate forms submit them and request an asylum interview and if the interview and background check is successful, he will represent you at you at your asylum hearing. Chances are much better than petitioning at the border. Of course most of the people in a caravan can't do that.

Can You Request Asylum At The U.S. Border?

People that plea for asylum at the border crossing are given permission to enter the US if the agent is convinced the person appears to have a creditable case. Generally, they are held in detention until they are interviewed by an asylum agent.

So we should build new facilities to hold thens of thousands in detention while they are waiting for an agent? What happens when it gets to hundreds of thousands?
Just like most of the immigration problems, we can fix asylum by changing the law, not circumventing it and trying to turn it into a national crisis for political reasons.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the political advantage one way or the other. Yes, laws need to be changed, but good luck finding the people to do it. Piglosi and her clan certainly won't, and they plan on spending most of their time trying to remove Trump from office than anything else that needs to be addressed by Congress.
all congress has to do this next month is pass a one line bill written like the president's EO..

New executive order making immigrants ineligible for asylum if they arrive in the U.S. without papers. It's really quite simple and they can do while they have the House.
Telling 4,000 people that walked 2,000 miles to get to the border that they have go back home and get more identification should be good for another riot at the border which would certainly please Trump immensely.
BTW, Mexico requires ids at both their southern and northern border.

Sorry, but I fail to see how their hike - which we didn't ask them to make and, in fact, have repeatedly told them NOT to make - engenders any sort of obligation on our part. Is there some heretofore secret section of the Immigration and Naturalization Code that says, "But if you make pointless effort and then have a riot, you get to bypass the normal requirements"?

BTW, no one gives a shit what Mexico does and doesn't require for their borders. Last time I checked, Mexico isn't part of the US government, and has no authority in regards to our immigration laws.

Just like most of the immigration problems, we can fix asylum by changing the law, not circumventing it and trying to turn it into a national crisis for political reasons.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the political advantage one way or the other. Yes, laws need to be changed, but good luck finding the people to do it. Piglosi and her clan certainly won't, and they plan on spending most of their time trying to remove Trump from office than anything else that needs to be addressed by Congress.
all congress has to do this next month is pass a one line bill written like the president's EO..

New executive order making immigrants ineligible for asylum if they arrive in the U.S. without papers. It's really quite simple and they can do while they have the House.
Telling 4,000 people that walked 2,000 miles to get to the border that they have go back home and get more identification should be good for another riot at the border which would certainly please Trump immensely.

Too bad. Why are we pandering to these people in any way? Now we're supposed to feel threatened by them besides? How did this country become so sissified?
Peoples feelings and perceptions became more important than reality and facts.

That's because people started thinking with their glands instead of their brains.

You act like they have a right to come in. Too fkn bad let em come and kill em all rioting! I’m all good you’re a dick
Our laws give them the right to apply for asylum. Unfortunately our laws require them to come to the US to do so.

International law on asylum assumes that if they genuinely need it, they're fleeing whatever they need asylum from. So yeah, mailing off an application and waiting for a reply wouldn't really be a thing. That's also why asylum laws specify that you apply in the first safe country; because, if you're really a refugee, you're about safety, not "country-shopping".

Meanwhile, we have yet to deny all these marchers the ability to request asylum. They - and you - just need to get over the idea that such requests are made by staging riots, assaulting Border Patrol officers, crossing barriers, and whining and crying.

Too bad. Why are we pandering to these people in any way? Now we're supposed to feel threatened by them besides? How did this country become so sissified?
If we don't want to offer asylum, take the law off the books but don't slam the door in their face after they walked two thousands miles to apply.

Oh, quit with the hyperbole or go find yourself a fainting couch to have your vapors on. God, what a bunch of drama queens you leftists are.

How far they walked is irrelevant. I know YOU think it somehow earns them something, but since we certainly didn't ask them to do it - and have, as I've said, actually told them NOT to do it - that's really not our problem.

And despite your "feelz" on the subject, refusing to just classify people in job lots as refugees based on "Well, they went to so much trouble to get here!" is not the same as "We don't want to offer asylum".

If we don't want to offer asylum, take the law off the books but don't slam the door in their face after they walked two thousands miles to apply.

So who's stopping them from applying? They can apply and wait in Mexican tents until a decision is made.
Trump tried to but the courts stopped him. I'm sure most these migrants see little or no progress. The initial processing is done by agents at the border and takes only minutes. There's is no reason whey it should take 3 months to process these people. According to local paper, the biggest problems is lack of communications.

Uh huh. And you base your assertion that "there's no reason why" on what? Your "feewing" that it should be instantaneous, because "Aww, the poor people"? Your local paper, which presumably employs experts on immigration law and procedure?

We should be generating revenue to upgrade Ellis Island and surrounding infrastructure, from that venture.

Timmy the silly OP still won't tell us why he wants them to get into America....

He doesn't...and they won't.

It's actually rare for asylum seekers who come across the border to get asylum.

He's telling you what the LAW states.

We are a nation of laws...correct?
Yes, that isthe law. Wouldnt it be great if these immigrants actually obeyed the law, rather than rushing the border while throwing rocks?
Timmy the silly OP still won't tell us why he wants them to get into America....

He doesn't...and they won't.

It's actually rare for asylum seekers who come across the border to get asylum.

He's telling you what the LAW states.

We are a nation of laws...correct?
Yes, that isthe law. Wouldnt it be great if these immigrants actually obeyed the law, rather than rushing the border while throwing rocks?
There're two sides to the story, actually three. Trump supporters side, Trump critics side, and what actually occurred.

For supporters of Trump who advocate a crackdown on immigration, the events of Sunday showed migrants storming a protected border, confirming fears of an "invasion" of migrants defying U.S. laws.

For Trump's critics and pro-immigration activists, the scene showed American patrol agents firing tear gas at an unarmed crowd including children, reinforcing horror over the way the U.S. is treating immigrants.

What actually happened was U.S. agents closed a major border crossing and fired tear gas at migrants attempting to cross into the U.S. from Tijuana, Mexico. The migrants, many of whom had been part of a caravan of Central American asylum-seekers, were protesting the slow pace with which the U.S. has been processing asylum claims. As migrants stormed the border, border patrol agents fired tear gas and migrants threw rocks. This could have been avoided if the authorities would have told the migrants that the border was going to be temporary closed and asylum process would resume. The migrants believed that they would not be given a chance to apply for asylum which is what started the demonstration that turned into a riot.

I don't know what that's trying to prove except these invaders believe they have an entitlement.

It doesn't matter what our troops did or didn't do, they have no right to try and break down that temporary border IN OUR COUNTRY! They have no right to break it down, they have no right to asylum, and they have no right to be here. These are foreigners. They have no US rights whatsoever.

That's like saying a magazine salesman at your door got frustrated because he thought you would not welcome his presence, so he broke down the door to talk to you about buying magazines. You wouldn't stand for it. You'd probably shoot the guy right after he entered your doorway. That's the way it should be.
Actually our laws do give them the right to apply for asylum. The law requires they be in the country to apply. So when we shutdown processing, close the border, Trump get's the riot he's hopping for. You can always force desperate people to break the law. What Trump is doing is really pretty clever.

BTW There is no law requiring that magazine salesman be in your house to sell their magazines.

ACTUALLY, Ray never said they didn't have a right to apply for asylum; so ACTUALLY, answering a point that wasn't raised because you don't want to address the points that were made is called "creating a straw man". So ACTUALLY, you just admitted that Ray is right, and that you're too much of a poltroon to admit it.

A right to APPLY FOR asylum is not a right to asylum. The law does NOT require they be in the country, no matter how many times agenda-driven leftist idiots deliberately misread it. The law requires that they be here OR AT A LEGAL POINT OF ENTRY. Go read it without your "I want THIS to be true!" goggles.

So when we close the border, we do not in any way stop them from approaching the Border Patrol officers PEACEFULLY and requesting asylum. As I've already told one of your fellow travelers multiple times, closing the border does not mean they just hang up a "Closed" sign and head home for a beer.

The fact that YOU got the riot YOU were hoping for does not in any way mean that anyone else wanted it.

Sorry, but only in Leftworld is enforcing the law "forcing people to break it", because only in Leftworld is "I want this!" an overriding imperative.

Last edited:

If that's true...that's one out of what...5,000?

Of COURSE they are vetted. In fact very few are ever actually given asylum
History shows 88% of Mexicans will be rejected and 75% of Central Americans. However, this includes people that are living in US and those that enter with a visa and hire lawyers. The chance of walking up to the border and applying are much less. I doubt that more than 300 people will be accepted out 5,000. That's only .03% of the immigrants that will legally enter the country this year.

Yeah, well, funny how people who have already met one set of requirements are more likely to be able to meet the next set. Also funny is how more people want in than actually meet the qualifications.

At no point have you said anything that in any way indicates that those marchers/rioters deserve anything more than what they got.

There're two sides to the story, actually three. Trump supporters side, Trump critics side, and what actually occurred.

For supporters of Trump who advocate a crackdown on immigration, the events of Sunday showed migrants storming a protected border, confirming fears of an "invasion" of migrants defying U.S. laws.

For Trump's critics and pro-immigration activists, the scene showed American patrol agents firing tear gas at an unarmed crowd including children, reinforcing horror over the way the U.S. is treating immigrants.

What actually happened was U.S. agents closed a major border crossing and fired tear gas at migrants attempting to cross into the U.S. from Tijuana, Mexico. The migrants, many of whom had been part of a caravan of Central American asylum-seekers, were protesting the slow pace with which the U.S. has been processing asylum claims. As migrants stormed the border, border patrol agents fired tear gas and migrants threw rocks. This could have been avoided if the authorities would have told the migrants that the border was going to be temporary closed and asylum process would resume. The migrants believed that they would not be given a chance to apply for asylum which is what started the demonstration that turned into a riot.

I don't know what that's trying to prove except these invaders believe they have an entitlement.

It doesn't matter what our troops did or didn't do, they have no right to try and break down that temporary border IN OUR COUNTRY! They have no right to break it down, they have no right to asylum, and they have no right to be here. These are foreigners. They have no US rights whatsoever.

That's like saying a magazine salesman at your door got frustrated because he thought you would not welcome his presence, so he broke down the door to talk to you about buying magazines. You wouldn't stand for it. You'd probably shoot the guy right after he entered your doorway. That's the way it should be.
Actually our laws do give them the right to apply for asylum. The law requires they be in the country to apply. So when we shutdown processing, close the border, Trump get's the riot he's hopping for. You can always force desperate people to break the law. What Trump is doing is really pretty clever.

BTW There is no law requiring that magazine salesman be in your house to sell their magazines.

Just as there is no law that foreigners have a right to enter this country. As for asylum, the border chief in charge stated on a CNN interview not one of the people that broke through the barrier asked for asylum. They hurled rocks and bottles at our agents, fought with them while being apprehended, but not one asked for an asylum application.

In other words they are only using our generosity against us like so many have in the past. Thank God we have a leader like Trump to recognize that. They only want to claim asylum to get into the country and disappear like so many before them. They find some sanctuary city to hide in and never have another worry again. It simply has to stop.
Once captured and in custody is when they ask for asylum

And for some unknown reason, we just find them less believable then.

Once they turned down the offer of asylum they lost the right to ask it of us.

Making shit up again?

They can still ask . Sure makes thier case worse .
They can ask to be taller and thinner too. Once asylum is refused the right to ask for asylum someplace else is terminated .
Not sure what you mean by some place else. If you are applying for US asylum at the border and the customs agent is not convince that there is creditable fear, then you will be denied. If the agent believes you are not telling the truth then he can hold you for summary deportation and you would not be able to enter the country legally for 5 years. In either case the petitioner can request that his petition be reviewed by a judge. If the petition is accepted, then the person may continue the asylum process. If not, the person will be deported. The petitioner can still continue the appeal but it would probably require a lawyer and could take up a year. So for most petitioners, if they are turned down by an agent at the border, that is most likely the end unless they can afford a lawyer.

The best way to get asylum is to enter the country with a visa, hire an immigration lawyer to represent you. The lawyer will help prepare the petition on the appropriate forms submit them and request an asylum interview and if the interview and background check is successful, he will represent you at you at your asylum hearing. Chances are much better than petitioning at the border. Of course most of the people in a caravan can't do that.

Can You Request Asylum At The U.S. Border?

And you STILL haven't articulated anything that is OUR problem, or in any way obligates us to the marching mob.

well given the media and a vast majority of the left still thinks it's easy to get automatic weapons, this is damn funny.

So we should build new facilities to hold thens of thousands in detention while they are waiting for an agent? What happens when it gets to hundreds of thousands?

Sorry, but I fail to see how their hike - which we didn't ask them to make and, in fact, have repeatedly told them NOT to make - engenders any sort of obligation on our part. Is there some heretofore secret section of the Immigration and Naturalization Code that says, "But if you make pointless effort and then have a riot, you get to bypass the normal requirements"?

BTW, no one gives a shit what Mexico does and doesn't require for their borders. Last time I checked, Mexico isn't part of the US government, and has no authority in regards to our immigration laws.
My reply was to a previous post. How the migrants got to the border is irrelevant as far as asylum laws are concerned but is relevant in regard to their determination to present their petition for asylum. Nobody spends two months walking 1700 miles without good reason. They are well aware that they are not likely to be accepted but it's likely their best option.

Actually, a lot of people do care what Mexico does on their southern border. They are demanding that Mexico tighten security and in effect stop the caravans which is ridiculous. Mexico has relativity open borders and they're under no obligation to change their policy just because of US immigration laws.

Actually, a lot of people do care what Mexico does on their southern border. They are demanding that Mexico tighten security and in effect stop the caravans which is ridiculous. Mexico has relativity open borders and they're under no obligation to change their policy just because of US immigration laws.

You know, that last sentence is very telling about Trump and what his supporters think he can do. I've seen Trump supporters on this board say they want Trump to control what goes on in other countries, and he just simply can't do that. He leads the USA, not the world.

My reply was to a previous post. How the migrants got to the border is irrelevant as far as asylum laws are concerned but is relevant in regard to their determination to present their petition for asylum. Nobody spends two months walking 1700 miles without good reason. They are well aware that they are not likely to be accepted but it's likely their best option.

Mexico allows them to use their country as a boardwalk to the United States. Of course they bear some responsibility. If we had people running guns to the drug lords in Mexico and our government welcomed it with open arms, wouldn't you think Mexico would have a legitimate complaint against us?

Allies and trading partners should look out for each other. We look out for Mexico by sending over 320 million taxpayer dollars a year, the least they can do for that money is try to keep these people away from our border.

Forum List

Back