Tom Petty's family issues a cease and desist order to Trump campaign

‘Petty's 1989 hit "I Won't Back Down" was played on Saturday evening at the rally, which drew a smaller-than-expected crowd of supporters.

"Trump was in no way authorized to use this song to further a campaign that leaves too many Americans and common sense behind," the family said in a tweet Saturday.

"Both the late Tom Petty and his family firmly stand against racism and discrimination of any kind. Tom Petty would never want a song of his used for a campaign of hate. He liked to bring people together," according to the tweet.’

Very good.

Trump’s campaign is in fact one of hate and division.
No it's about America getting up off of its ass and being on top again where it should be without all the losers like your dumb ass dragging us all down.

Maybe Ted Nugent could cook up a song or two for St Trumpy.

This one would be a good fit! :D

Jailbait
Ted Nugent

Jailbait you look so good to me,
Jailbait won't you set me free,
Jailbait you look fine, fine, fine
And I know I've got to have you in a matter of time.

Well, I don't care if you're just thirteen,
You look too good to be true.
I just know that you're probably clean,
There's one little thing I got do to you.

So tell your mama that I'm back in town,
She likes us boys when it's time to get down.
She's got this craving for the underage;
I just might be your mamas’ brand new rage.

It's all right baby, it's quite all right I asked your mama

Wait a minute officer; wait a minute officer
Don't put those handcuffs on me, what about her?
Hey, I'll share her with you!

Nugent-draft-dodger-74888106041.jpg

It would help if you people actually advanced a policy position rather than just announcing that you blame some group and want to take away their rights. Blame, blame, blame. Blacks, browns, women, LGBTs, immigrants, Muslims. Who's next? This is "hate," and you haven't got anything of substance to say. It's just whining, when you folks actually have it pretty easy. I just saw some bitch in Montana interviewed, and she said that "genuine Americans" lived there. What is this about? There probably are more "genuine Americans" in Brooklyn than in the entire state of Montana. Plus, Montana has filth like this Snowden, screaming in people's faces and cursing up a storm. Is all of Montana shameful?
Who took over six city blocks? You really, you all are clueless.

Clarification is essential on this topic. Whether or not these cease & desists have chops - It's just a DICK move, for which Donnie is famous!

Technically speaking, copyright laws allow political candidates to use just about any song they want, as long as they’re played at a stadium, arena or other venue that already has a public-performance license through a songwriters’ association such as ASCAP or BMI. However, the law contains plenty of gray area. If a candidate refuses to stop using a song in this scenario, an artist may be able to protect his “right of publicity” –​
Springsteen’s voice blaring over a loudspeaker is part of his image, and he has a right to protect his own image. “It’s untested in the political realm,” says Lawrence Iser, an intellectual-property lawyer who has represented the Beatles, Michael Jackson and many others. “Even if Donald Trump has the ASCAP right to use a Neil Young song, does Neil have the right to nevertheless go after him on right of publicity? I say he does.”​
Iser represented David Byrne when the ex-Talking Head successfully sued Florida Republican Charlie Crist for using “Road to Nowhere” in a video to attack opponent Marco Rubio during a 2010 U.S. Senate campaign. He also helped Jackson Browne win a suit against John McCain in 2008 when the Republican presidential candidate played “Running on Empty” in an ad bashing Barack Obama on gas conservation.​

trump is stealing intellectual property, and doing so in a fashion that wrongfully identifies the writer with him. Tom Petty, his memory, and his work should not be defamed in this fashion. trump now has the cease and desist order in hand.

Do you know what "copyright" means?

Songs are intellectual property.
It is also how musicians earn a living.
True. But the song is 31 yrs old. Think about this. That song wasn't that great. Trump just promoted the sob. Everyone will know a forgotten song now.....Tom Petty and The Trumpsters.

trump is stealing intellectual property, and doing so in a fashion that wrongfully identifies the writer with him. Tom Petty, his memory, and his work should not be defamed in this fashion. trump now has the cease and desist order in hand.

When did Trump claim he wrote that song you fucking liar?

Link or retract now dickwad.

Fuck off, the only hate and division I see here is your desire to have no political opposition to your SJW progressive twat-program.
Looks like your little bitch cult leader is stuck with Kanye music until november. Im sure that will go over well with the MAWA crowd...i.e., the trump cult.

Forum List

Back