Trump and Pence get tested every day. Why can't we?

My opinion is that antibody testing is much more beneficial than virus testing. If you test positive for the antibody testing, it means you have had the virus (sometimes unknowingly) or have a natural resistance to the virus.

It really depends on the situation. If you are sick, the virus test can determine if its worthwhile or not to try the Trump Treatment, hydroxychloroquine or another specific treatment for what ails you.

Antibody tests are most useful for the epidemiologists in estimating the number of people afflicted. If a sampling of tests in Mercer County indicates that 10% of the population has corona antibodies, and we know that 200 people were diagnosed positive and the population of Mercer is 100,000 people, it means 10,000 people have been exposed 50 times more than the number of confirmed cases. So if next month 600 are positive , probably 1/3 of the population has been exposed. Useful info in determining how the pestilence is progressing

It is actually. If I get tested today, stop at the gas station for gas, pickup the virus, how does that test help me tomorrow?
What you're pointing out isn't the futility of testing, it's the danger of there not being enough testing.

We have enough tests for those who have symptoms and the doctors need verification. Last month our hospitals were doing drive in testing, and from what I understand, pretty long lines. Testing everybody for the virus doesn't do any good, since as I stated, those people who are negative could get it the same or next day. The tests we really need are accurate antibody tests. Those are the tests that can tell us who is immune to it or not.
Possibly but the extent of antibody response and the immunity it suggests is not really known at this point. What we actually need is a better understanding of what those tests are even telling us.

Are they immune? How long? How much of an antibody response is necessary for an immunity to exist? Is the immunity effected by virus load?

Of course, the same can be said for the current tests for the virus as well. How long must an individual be infected to even show up as positive for the test.

That is the issue with a novel virus - we know very little and, unfortunately, have to base widespread public policy effecting hundreds of millions of people on facts that simply are not present.

My opinion is that antibody testing is much more beneficial than virus testing. If you test positive for the antibody testing, it means you have had the virus (sometimes unknowingly) or have a natural resistance to the virus.

These people cannot only participate in our society unprotected, but can also donate blood, where the plasma can be infused in our healthcare workers, eventually first responders, and finally high risk people with preexisting conditions such as myself.

Point is, we are attacking this virus from the north, south, east and west. It will be defeated. New medication such as remdesivire, hydroxychloroquine, new vaccines being developed all over the world, manufacturing of N-95 masks by the millions, gowns the same, Wuhan virus testing, and as stated, antibody testing.

We are uniting globally to wipe out this pest that took away our freedoms, and doing it in every direction possible.

It could be however the test currently is not nearly accurate enough not to mention we have no idea what the presence of those antibodies means in regard to immunity. You MAY be immune but we are not sure at this point nor are we sure how long that immunity will last.

It does mean that you likely beat it before though so it is unlikely to be deadly to you again even if you are not immune.

It is actually. If I get tested today, stop at the gas station for gas, pickup the virus, how does that test help me tomorrow?
What you're pointing out isn't the futility of testing, it's the danger of there not being enough testing.

We have enough tests for those who have symptoms and the doctors need verification. Last month our hospitals were doing drive in testing, and from what I understand, pretty long lines. Testing everybody for the virus doesn't do any good, since as I stated, those people who are negative could get it the same or next day. The tests we really need are accurate antibody tests. Those are the tests that can tell us who is immune to it or not.
Possibly but the extent of antibody response and the immunity it suggests is not really known at this point. What we actually need is a better understanding of what those tests are even telling us.

Are they immune? How long? How much of an antibody response is necessary for an immunity to exist? Is the immunity effected by virus load?

Of course, the same can be said for the current tests for the virus as well. How long must an individual be infected to even show up as positive for the test.

That is the issue with a novel virus - we know very little and, unfortunately, have to base widespread public policy effecting hundreds of millions of people on facts that simply are not present.

These people cannot only participate in our society unprotected, but can also donate blood, where the plasma can be infused in our healthcare workers, eventually first responders, and finally high risk people with preexisting conditions such as myself.

Point is, we are attacking this virus from the north, south, east and west. It will be defeated. New medication such as remdesivire, hydroxychloroquine, new vaccines being developed all over the world, manufacturing of N-95 masks by the millions, gowns the same, Wuhan virus testing, and as stated, antibody testing.

We are uniting globally to wipe out this pest that took away our freedoms, and doing it in every direction possible.

It could be however the test currently is not nearly accurate enough not to mention we have no idea what the presence of those antibodies means in regard to immunity. You MAY be immune but we are not sure at this point nor are we sure how long that immunity will last.

It does mean that you likely beat it before though so it is unlikely to be deadly to you again even if you are not immune.

The problem with the current antibody testing is that they are not accurate. Like anything else, that will improve over time. Once improved, they will be able to produce those tests at a much quicker rate.

Right now I think that if everybody were to take reasonable precautions, we could still beat this thing between that and the warmer weather. When I go out into the public, I always have my mask on, with a double layer of facial tissue underneath. I sanitize my hands when I leave the car, and it's the first thing I do when I re-enter my car. I also carry tissues in my back pocket in case I need to scratch my eyes or nose.

I think we as a society are getting too carried away like closing beaches and things like that. It's highly unlikely you're going to catch this thing by a lake or ocean from somebody else with the wind blowing. So it's also ignorance playing into this.

I went to Arby's for a roast beef sandwich yesterday. It's drive-thru only. When I got to the window, they had a sign posted that they prefer credit instead of cash for the protection of their workers. From what I've read, the virus can live on plastic for three days, while paper products, it can only survive one day.

This whole situation reminds me of the remake of Battlestar Galactica in which people didn’t know if they or others were Cylons (“infected”) and Gaius Baltar kept making up excuses as to why he couldn’t test everyone.

The problem with the current antibody testing is that they are not accurate. Like anything else, that will improve over time. Once improved, they will be able to produce those tests at a much quicker rate.

Right now I think that if everybody were to take reasonable precautions, we could still beat this thing between that and the warmer weather. When I go out into the public, I always have my mask on, with a double layer of facial tissue underneath. I sanitize my hands when I leave the car, and it's the first thing I do when I re-enter my car. I also carry tissues in my back pocket in case I need to scratch my eyes or nose.

I think we as a society are getting too carried away like closing beaches and things like that. It's highly unlikely you're going to catch this thing by a lake or ocean from somebody else with the wind blowing. So it's also ignorance playing into this.

I went to Arby's for a roast beef sandwich yesterday. It's drive-thru only. When I got to the window, they had a sign posted that they prefer credit instead of cash for the protection of their workers. From what I've read, the virus can live on plastic for three days, while paper products, it can only survive one day.
Obviously we are getting carried away. Governors got a taste of power and many are showing themselves to be utter tyrants. Shutting down beaches is moronic beyond belief particularly considering those were to narrow to stop people from going 20 miles down the road. Arresting people who are performing DRIVE UP religious services, seriously? I find it rather amusing that Trump was supposed to be the tyrant here and then when he is given the ultamate power over buisness he does not utilize it. Those same people calling him a tyrant are demanding that he take MORE power and then doing abusing the shit out of their power locally. Most of the buisness closures are asinine as well - a good idea IF you do not consider what the actual consequences will be.

What they continue to do is narrow the places that one can go to shop, pick up food or gain a little sanity. Limiting those venues does nothing but bottleneck the population into one area. There are tons of people in Wal-Mart and Home Depot is seeing waiting lines to get into their stores - waiting lines. The absolute WORST thing to have when you want to social distance.

I can only hope that people wake the hell up and realize they need to actually pay attention to their local governance this next election - there needs to be some massive purges.

I find it rather amusing that Trump was supposed to be the tyrant here and then when he is given the ultamate power over buisness he does not utilize it. Those same people calling him a tyrant are demanding that he take MORE power and then doing abusing the shit out of their power locally.

It doesn't matter what Trump does, they will find a way to bash him no matter which way he goes. Prior to this, they were complaining that Trump goes against the advice of his advisors. Trump doesn't listen to the experts. Well, that's exactly what Trump did in this Wuhan virus case. His decisions were based on the information and recommendations of Fauci and others, and now they're crying he didn't act soon enough.

Forum List

Back