Trump closer to Wallace than Hitler

An American academic was on our tv last night arguing that this was the case.

She argued that he, Wallace, tapped into an inherent racism amongst white working class Americans that surfaced when times were seen to be bad.

Trump is seen as similar.

he is, but hitler fed into that, too. it's called scapegoating.
It seems that whatever is wrong in any society can be traced back to an easily identifiable minority.We are lucky that our politicians have identified the guilty parties.

What a load of crap.

playing-the-race-card-politics-politics-1349036238.jpg
Nope, it works out everywhere in the world since the dawn of time.

She argued that he, Wallace, tapped into an inherent racism amongst white working class Americans that surfaced when times were seen to be bad.

It seems that whatever is wrong in any society can be traced back to an easily identifiable minority.We are lucky that our politicians have identified the guilty parties.

What a load of crap.

of course it does. but then the whiner would have to discuss trump being a bigot.

reality: whenever there is economic insecurity.... or perceived economic insecurity (as intensified by certain politicians for their own political gain) it becomes much easier to gather political adherants if you scapegoat a group and can focus that insecurity on them.

What a load of crap.

so no one is allowed to discuss trump being a bigot? is that your game?

My game is that I don't want the course my nation takes to be decided by people like you playing dishonest propaganda games.

What a load of crap.

I already called that a load of crap. Simply repeating yourself is does not support your case.

What a load of crap.

of course it does. but then the whiner would have to discuss trump being a bigot.

reality: whenever there is economic insecurity.... or perceived economic insecurity (as intensified by certain politicians for their own political gain) it becomes much easier to gather political adherants if you scapegoat a group and can focus that insecurity on them.

What a load of crap.

My game is that I don't want the course my nation takes to be decided by people like you playing dishonest propaganda games.

Authoritarians are very controlling in my experience.

It was seen as pretty shocking at the time. There was this big civil rights thing going on I understand.

But that's the thing, we're talking about the 1950s and the Civil Rights movement didn't gain momentum until the mid-1960s. It hadn't happened yet. Sure, there were some radicals who were pushing it, but most of society hadn't gotten on that bandwagon.
Apologies I thought the Wallace campaign was in 68.

It was but he had recanted his position on segregation by then and was knocking down a huge chunk of the black vote everywhere, including in his independent run for president.

What a load of crap.

Not wanting the election to be decided by Race Baiting smear campaign like you two are running here is

NOT being an Authoritarian.

Can you be any more of a dishonest prick?

What a load of crap.

Not wanting the election to be decided by Race Baiting smear campaign like you two are running here is

Silly boy. It was trump that introduced race into the election. Its his only policy.

There is no logical reason to deny same sex civil marriage rights if the law already allows opposite sex marriages,

therefore, if you oppose allowing gays that equal right, your only motivation must be some sort of anti-gay bigotry.

There is only one kind of "marriage" and it's between a male and female. It has nothing to do with their sexuality. Same sex unions are not marriage, they are arrangements made on basis of sexuality. Trying to intentionally pervert what marriage is in order to legitimize your sexual behavior is actually a form of anti-religious bigotry. Marriage is a foundation of religious practice and should be protected as such. It's akin to passing a law that all public urinals must contain a figurine of Jesus so that when you take a piss, you're whizzing on Jesus. Or better yet, passing a law ordaining child marriage so that pedophiles have equality and legitimacy with the rest of society. It's not "bigotry" to reject such nonsense. And I don't really give a damn what the courts have said, the courts are wrong like they've been wrong a thousand times before.

Educating Republicans: Why You Can't Spell KKK Without the Letters G-O-P
we can attribute a lot of that shift to the Southern Strategy and to Atwater’s successful attempts to disguise the racism inherent in the strategy. He explained in an infamous interview that took place as he was serving under Reagan, “You start out in 1954 by saying, “Ni**er, ni**er, ni**er.” By 1968 you can’t say “ni**er”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states’ rights and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract now; you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.”

It worked.

It was seen as pretty shocking at the time. There was this big civil rights thing going on I understand.

But that's the thing, we're talking about the 1950s and the Civil Rights movement didn't gain momentum until the mid-1960s. It hadn't happened yet. Sure, there were some radicals who were pushing it, but most of society hadn't gotten on that bandwagon.
Apologies I thought the Wallace campaign was in 68.

It was but he had recanted his position on segregation by then and was knocking down a huge chunk of the black vote everywhere, including in his independent run for president.

Can you quote his 1968 recantation?

There is no logical reason to deny same sex civil marriage rights if the law already allows opposite sex marriages,

therefore, if you oppose allowing gays that equal right, your only motivation must be some sort of anti-gay bigotry.

There is only one kind of "marriage" and it's between a male and female. It has nothing to do with their sexuality. Same sex unions are not marriage, they are arrangements made on basis of sexuality. Trying to intentionally pervert what marriage is in order to legitimize your sexual behavior is actually a form of anti-religious bigotry. Marriage is a foundation of religious practice and should be protected as such. It's akin to passing a law that all public urinals must contain a figurine of Jesus so that when you take a piss, you're whizzing on Jesus. Or better yet, passing a law ordaining child marriage so that pedophiles have equality and legitimacy with the rest of society. It's not "bigotry" to reject such nonsense. And I don't really give a damn what the courts have said, the courts are wrong like they've been wrong a thousand times before.

Civil marriage is whatever the civil authority defines it as. But it cannot be defined in a manner contrary to the Constitution.

What a load of crap.

Silly boy. It was trump that introduced race into the election. Its his only policy.

Wanting to enforce immigration laws is no "introducing race into the election".

Only a dishonest prick would say it is.

Segregationists simply felt the best deal for blacks was for them to have their own segregated stuff equal to whites... it was actually ANTI-racist in terms of the times.

Yeah, that the ticket, my wife, Morgan Fairchild, told me so......

Well... Again... for the slow-witted... You can certainly pretend that people in 1950 were of the same cultural mindset as they are today... I know that it's not the truth or we wouldn't have needed Civil Rights. So we have to be honest in assessing what the cultural mindset of the time was, if it wasn't like it is today. Just as we can't live in the past, we can't judge those in the past by how we live today. It's real easy to tee off on segregation now, everyone agrees (pretty much) that it was not a good policy. So you're not really taking any kind of radical position there... you would have been in 1950. And that is really my only point here... Segregation was not a "racist" policy at the time... A "racist" policy was stringing up black men for flirting with white women.

Segregation was an honest attempt, in earnest, to resolve a social problem. It didn't fly but it was not racist. It's racist today, and maybe we just can't comprehend how it wasn't also racist back then, but it was a different time. It's like the issue of slavery wasn't about "equality of race" in 1860. Virtually everyone in society back then would be a flaming racist by today's standards. We must put these things in context of the times in which they happened in order to honestly assess them.

Look... We are having a great debate today about abortion.... Now, let's imagine that somewhere in the future, our society decides that the unborn fetus DOES have a Constitutionally protected right to life.... We pass an Act or a law to codify said right and society accepts that previous ideas were abhorrent and wrong... Would it be fair to then castigate all the people from 2016 who supported abortion on demand? Could we simply ignore your arguments for a woman's right to choose and denigrate you as monsters and morally corrupt people who didn't have any decency? Would that be fair to judge you by tomorrow's standards? I don't think it would be. I think we have to accept things in context of the time in which they happened and judge accordingly.

In practice Separate but Equal was always racist. From it's beginning to it's end. You can try to re-write history but it was alwasy about keep the blacks at the back of the bus. The accommodations were never equal. It was never an honest attempt to resolve anything. Most white people in the south at the turn of the century were still very racist.

The times they are a changin

Segregationists simply felt the best deal for blacks was for them to have their own segregated stuff equal to whites... it was actually ANTI-racist in terms of the times.

Yeah, that the ticket, my wife, Morgan Fairchild, told me so......

Well... Again... for the slow-witted... You can certainly pretend that people in 1950 were of the same cultural mindset as they are today... I know that it's not the truth or we wouldn't have needed Civil Rights. So we have to be honest in assessing what the cultural mindset of the time was, if it wasn't like it is today. Just as we can't live in the past, we can't judge those in the past by how we live today. It's real easy to tee off on segregation now, everyone agrees (pretty much) that it was not a good policy. So you're not really taking any kind of radical position there... you would have been in 1950. And that is really my only point here... Segregation was not a "racist" policy at the time... A "racist" policy was stringing up black men for flirting with white women.

Segregation was an honest attempt, in earnest, to resolve a social problem. It didn't fly but it was not racist. It's racist today, and maybe we just can't comprehend how it wasn't also racist back then, but it was a different time. It's like the issue of slavery wasn't about "equality of race" in 1860. Virtually everyone in society back then would be a flaming racist by today's standards. We must put these things in context of the times in which they happened in order to honestly assess them.

Look... We are having a great debate today about abortion.... Now, let's imagine that somewhere in the future, our society decides that the unborn fetus DOES have a Constitutionally protected right to life.... We pass an Act or a law to codify said right and society accepts that previous ideas were abhorrent and wrong... Would it be fair to then castigate all the people from 2016 who supported abortion on demand? Could we simply ignore your arguments for a woman's right to choose and denigrate you as monsters and morally corrupt people who didn't have any decency? Would that be fair to judge you by tomorrow's standards? I don't think it would be. I think we have to accept things in context of the time in which they happened and judge accordingly.

In practice Separate but Equal was always racist. From it's beginning to it's end. You can try to re-write history but it was alwasy about keep the blacks at the back of the bus. The accommodations were never equal. It was never an honest attempt to resolve anything. Most white people in the south at the turn of the century were still very racist.

No it wasn't always racist, that is the point I am making and you're missing. You have been taught that it was racist and it's racist by how we define racist today. Blacks being put on the back of the bus was a policy of the bus companies who were catering to their mostly white patronage... it was NEVER a law and had zero to do with segregation... which illustrates just how little you actually know on this subject.

It's true the accommodations weren't equal and were never going to be equal and this is why segregation was a bad policy idea and ultimately failed. Again... this has nothing to do with actual racism. It was because of economic resources which the black community didn't have to compete with the white community.

Again... I am not here to argue that segregation was some great and wonderful thing we should have stuck with! I know that's what you would like to twist my comments into, and there are probably some backward-thinking racist rednecks here who will give you that argument. I am simply approaching this from an intellectual and objective viewpoint of evaluation. It was not about racism or intended to be a racist policy. It was intended to resolve a social problem in the most amicable way possible at the time. It didn't work and it wasn't going to work... but it wan't racist.

In the 1990s, a school board in... (I think Kentucky?) Petitioned the Justice Department to have desegregation laws overturned so that they could have community schools with predominately black student bodies as opposed to having their kids bused across the county to white schools. So there you have black people supporting segregation... and I think they actually won their case and were allowed to do this.

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about with "turn of the century" ...do you mean the 20th or 21st century? Because, at the turn of the 20th century, most of white America was considerably racist by today's standard in the North, South, East and West. At the turn of the 21st century, however, I would argue that the Southern US was less racist than most of the country. This is evidenced in the relatively low number of racial riots and turmoil as compared with the rest of the country. I think the reason for this is simple... In the south, we grow up with the stigma of our past. Every year in Alabama history, our children learn about Selma to Montgomery... Rosa Parks... MLK... etc. It is a part of our heritage and we've had this continual conscious awareness of it for several generations. People don't get that in Wisconsin or Ohio.

I'm also going to say this, and you're not going to like it... I think a LOT of northern racists hide their own bigotry and prejudice by scapegoating the South.

What a load of crap.

and yet you're still trumpeting for the trumpster.

:rofl:

The times they are a changin

Except... Dylan wasn't singing about sexual deviates.

What a load of crap.

and yet you're still trumpeting for the trumpster.

:rofl:

YOUr side is the one lying.

Forum List

Back