🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump has put D.C. Into chaos

Signing a bunch of EOs may sound like getting shit done but when many are scrapped by Trump himself, it makes him look like a dumbass.

Policy pronouncements sprout up from the White House in rapid succession.

Some have far-reaching implications, most notably Trump's temporary refugee and immigration ban, but others disappear without explanation, including planned executive actions on cybersecurity and the president's demand for an investigation into unsubstantiated voter fraud.

The day's agenda can quickly be overtaken by presidential tweets, which often start flashing on smartphones just as the nation's capital is waking up.

"The last two weeks feel like six months," said Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky.

Indeed, the effect on Washington — as well as the network of lobbyists, businesses and other interest groups that orbit the political power centers — has been dizzying, beyond the normal commotion that typically accompanies a White House transition. One official compared it to walking through a sandstorm, grasping for a moment of clarity.

For Trump, a frenetic pace of activity and seemingly haphazard style is as much a part of his political brand as his signature promise to build a border wall. In business and as a candidate, he used controlled chaos to keep his rivals off balance and appears to be taking a similar approach to governing.

Trump throws Washington into state of anxious uncertainty

"The Art of the Deal", in action?

"There's dread in corporate America to wake up every morning and see what the latest tweet is," said Tony Podesta, a prominent Washington lobbyist.

Good points. Yes I am equating hate speech with violence. One leads to the other, and the other leads to one. I'm not sure who you're talking to when you say "you" a lot, because I'm a conservative.

I just think that saying things in an interview like President Trump said about Putin and Russia not being so bad because we have killers here in the US is reprehensible. If President Obama had said that I would have rightly criticized it strenuously. Yes, President Trump is the president now, and the office deserves respect. But I believe he is stepping on his message with all this nonsense in your face stuff. People are less focused on some good policies he's putting in place instead of this crazy stuff he is putting out there.

You claim to be a "conservative" but you're as wishy-washy as I've seen here. Either you're on the bus or off the bus. If you're a Romney or Jeb! RINO you may as well be a Pocahontas supporter here at USMB....we're all done with lame peckerwoods trying to "find common ground" with the Rat party. They are lying scum with their hands in our pockets. Trump is a New Yorker....they aren't known for civility and parlor talk. He's a motherfucker and that's exactly what we voted for....you didn't, you lost. His tweets are his avenue past the deplorable media trash who hate him and won't tell the truth about what he's doing. He's having a ball with his new power and his sense of humor is coming through. If his tweets offend you, tough shit.

Good points. Yes I am equating hate speech with violence. One leads to the other, and the other leads to one. I'm not sure who you're talking to when you say "you" a lot, because I'm a conservative.

I just think that saying things in an interview like President Trump said about Putin and Russia not being so bad because we have killers here in the US is reprehensible. If President Obama had said that I would have rightly criticized it strenuously. Yes, President Trump is the president now, and the office deserves respect. But I believe he is stepping on his message with all this nonsense in your face stuff. People are less focused on some good policies he's putting in place instead of this crazy stuff he is putting out there.

You claim to be a "conservative" but you're as wishy-washy as I've seen here. Either you're on the bus or off the bus. If you're a Romney or Jeb! RINO you may as well be a Pocahontas supporter here at USMB....we're all done with lame peckerwoods trying to "find common ground" with the Rat party. They are lying scum with their hands in our pockets. Trump is a New Yorker....they aren't known for civility and parlor talk. He's a motherfucker and that's exactly what we voted for....you didn't, you lost. His tweets are his avenue past the deplorable media trash who hate him and won't tell the truth about what he's doing. He's having a ball with his new power and his sense of humor is coming through. If his tweets offend you, tough shit.

Thanks for your response. I'm on the American bus. You and I might disagree, but I respect your views. My views may be a lot of things, but they sure aren't "wishy washy." Unless of course someone who is a principled conservative who thinks that the President is stepping on his own message is automatically wishy washy. I look at politicians and see their flaws, and in the current environment of total fealty to the personality, that appears to be insufficient.

Thanks for your response. I'm on the American bus. You and I might disagree, but I respect your views. My views may be a lot of things, but they sure aren't "wishy washy." Unless of course someone who is a principled conservative who thinks that the President is stepping on his own message is automatically wishy washy. I look at politicians and see their flaws, and in the current environment of total fealty to the personality, that appears to be insufficient.

Any genuine "principled conservative" will find Trump's actions to their liking. If you've seriously got a problem with the way he addresses those issues, you should remember he's a businessman not a politician. The LANGUAGE of politics bores him, the inaction behind the talking infuriates him. Trump is a change-maker, impatient to get things happening. He has rarely begun the fights he's in, but retaliates with a fierceness you're not used to. Many of us cringed at first but now find him very entertaining given the level of bile and hatred being flung at him. Who would go through that without responding? And find me a target of his retaliation who kept the fight going.....very few.

Wow you are so full of shit.

The Osama raid was deliberated and done RIGHT, the raid Trump quickly agreed to was a fucking mess with our military and civilian casualties.

Those are facts, that is the record. You can't stand it so you start to make up bullshit about how the raid went without President's approval. Pathetic.

You're a lying bucket of sewage and not worth another second of my time.

Except beyond name calling you can't ACTUALLY say what I'm supposedly lying about.

How about your lie that the Jan raid was hastily put together? It was developed last Oct and presented to the DOD in early NOV. It was staffed by DOD in Nov and presented to the WH in Dec. It was approved by your dear leader mid Dec, too late to put assets in place for the new moon, they had to wait until the Jan new moon to execute and that put it in Trumps hands. It was reviewed and recommended by Matis and executed in Jan, exactly the way the maobama regime planned it.

I know you can't fathom the President having a sense of humor. It must be galling to have a man you hate so much, doing things that will benefit you, and having a good time doing it....:lol:

Actually I am not a hater. Jesus told us to love and that's what I do. I'm asking a different question, which is, how do insults make America great again? What is the strategic goal that is served by these funny funny tweets of his about the media and Arnold, etc? Is your point of view that humor makes America great again? I really honestly don't get how these paroxysms of tweets etc serve a goal that the President is trying to get us to.
How is violent protesting helping? It needs to stop and is accomplishing nothing more than further alienating the very people who put Trump in office. Its a no sum game for the left

As a follower of our Christ and Ghandi, I agree that violent protest is terrible and counterproductive. And so to is name calling and demeaning others. I think that sort of thing buries the good policy that President Trump is pursuing.

Are you equating violent protest with name calling, Dim? Trump has an in your face type of personality. That's who he is. That doesn't mean that the policies that he is putting into place are misguided. Most of them are about as common sense as they get. The protests? I can't for the life of me grasp what they accomplish. Yes, we know that millions of Americans didn't vote for Trump. That doesn't change the fact that he IS the President...elected under the rules we use to choose a President! That isn't going to change because you block traffic, light things on fire and chant obscene slogans!

If you're a liberal and you don't like Trump's conservative take on issues...come up with better solutions and run better candidates to implement them. That's something that should happen at the State or city level as an example of what would be good for the nation. SAYING that you have the backs of the Middle Class while doing little for them has brought you to the point where blue collar union workers in the Rust Belt voted for a Republican! Think about that long and hard! The next election will be here before you know it. Are you going to run Hillary again? Good luck with that! Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders? Who pays for all the give a ways they both promise? What effect will their brand of progressive policy have on our economy? You'd best ask yourself those types of questions because it's obvious that parts of the Democrats most loyal voting blocks have done so and come to the conclusion that the far left have made them promises that they have not delivered on!

So WHY are they less focused on the good policies he's putting in place and so obsessed with his "message"? What really affects people...policies or messages?

With all due respect, Dim...I think you'd have to agree with me when I say Washington has been long on "message" and short on "policy"?

Any genuine "principled conservative" will find Trump's actions to their liking. If you've seriously got a problem with the way he addresses those issues, you should remember he's a businessman not a politician. The LANGUAGE of politics bores him, the inaction behind the talking infuriates him. Trump is a change-maker, impatient to get things happening. He has rarely begun the fights he's in, but retaliates with a fierceness you're not used to. Many of us cringed at first but now find him very entertaining given the level of bile and hatred being flung at him. Who would go through that without responding? And find me a target of his retaliation who kept the fight going.....very few.

As I said above, I agree with many of the actions he has taken. That doesn't mean I think his rollout and consideration of, for example, the extreme vetting order, were well done. In fact they were not. And by screwing up the planning in favor of action, he undermined something I believe in strongly, that we should know who the people coming into the country are.

Actually I am not a hater. Jesus told us to love and that's what I do. I'm asking a different question, which is, how do insults make America great again? What is the strategic goal that is served by these funny funny tweets of his about the media and Arnold, etc? Is your point of view that humor makes America great again? I really honestly don't get how these paroxysms of tweets etc serve a goal that the President is trying to get us to.
How is violent protesting helping? It needs to stop and is accomplishing nothing more than further alienating the very people who put Trump in office. Its a no sum game for the left

As a follower of our Christ and Ghandi, I agree that violent protest is terrible and counterproductive. And so to is name calling and demeaning others. I think that sort of thing buries the good policy that President Trump is pursuing.

Are you equating violent protest with name calling, Dim? Trump has an in your face type of personality. That's who he is. That doesn't mean that the policies that he is putting into place are misguided. Most of them are about as common sense as they get. The protests? I can't for the life of me grasp what they accomplish. Yes, we know that millions of Americans didn't vote for Trump. That doesn't change the fact that he IS the President...elected under the rules we use to choose a President! That isn't going to change because you block traffic, light things on fire and chant obscene slogans!

If you're a liberal and you don't like Trump's conservative take on issues...come up with better solutions and run better candidates to implement them. That's something that should happen at the State or city level as an example of what would be good for the nation. SAYING that you have the backs of the Middle Class while doing little for them has brought you to the point where blue collar union workers in the Rust Belt voted for a Republican! Think about that long and hard! The next election will be here before you know it. Are you going to run Hillary again? Good luck with that! Elizabeth Warren or Bernie Sanders? Who pays for all the give a ways they both promise? What effect will their brand of progressive policy have on our economy? You'd best ask yourself those types of questions because it's obvious that parts of the Democrats most loyal voting blocks have done so and come to the conclusion that the far left have made them promises that they have not delivered on!

So WHY are they less focused on the good policies he's putting in place and so obsessed with his "message"? What really affects people...policies or messages?

With all due respect, Dim...I think you'd have to agree with me when I say Washington has been long on "message" and short on "policy"?

I sure agree with you on that! And I think that President Trump's stepping on his own good policy with some of his statements, for example the one about Putin on O'Reilly. That's just creating an issue where he didn't need to create one.

Signing a bunch of EOs may sound like getting shit done but when many are scrapped by Trump himself, it makes him look like a dumbass.

Some have far-reaching implications, most notably Trump's temporary refugee and immigration ban, but others disappear without explanation, including planned executive actions on cybersecurity and the president's demand for an investigation into unsubstantiated voter fraud.

The day's agenda can quickly be overtaken by presidential tweets, which often start flashing on smartphones just as the nation's capital is waking up.

Indeed, the effect on Washington — as well as the network of lobbyists, businesses and other interest groups that orbit the political power centers — has been dizzying, beyond the normal commotion that typically accompanies a White House transition. One official compared it to walking through a sandstorm, grasping for a moment of clarity.

For Trump, a frenetic pace of activity and seemingly haphazard style is as much a part of his political brand as his signature promise to build a border wall. In business and as a candidate, he used controlled chaos to keep his rivals off balance and appears to be taking a similar approach to governing.

Yes, those poor, efficient, hard working well ordered bureaucrats, whatever will they do but just care?

I sure agree with you on that! And I think that President Trump's stepping on his own good policy with some of his statements, for example the one about Putin on O'Reilly. That's just creating an issue where he didn't need to create one.

He's not a politician. He's going to say things that politicians don't say. To be honest with you...I could care less. I'm fixated on what he's doing with policy. I don't care what he tweets. I don't care if he says things he shouldn't from time to time. That's meaningless political correctness and to be blunt...I'm so sick of our PC culture that I'm fine with someone who isn't PC!

C3sM9IZVUAAgZZ8.jpg:large

Someone has been watching too much CNN.

It's awesome, isn't it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granny got a picture o' the Donald onna livin' room wall...
icon_grandma.gif

Donald Trump might be more popular than you think
2/03/17 - Once again, there's evidence suggesting traditional polls aren't accurately measuring support for the president and his policies.
Just how popular is Donald Trump? Two weeks into the new president’s term, it’s a matter of some dispute. Traditional phone polls that use live interviewers — including some of the most trusted polls in politics and media — report limited support for Trump and the controversial executive orders he’s signed. But automated phone and Internet-based surveys tell a different story. Once the element of anonymity is added, the president’s approval ratings suddenly look a lot better. It’s reigniting the campaign debate over whether pollsters are accurately measuring Trump’s popularity — or the breadth of support for his policies. The White House is already seizing on the issue, and forcefully pushing back against the early narrative that the president is suffering from historically bad polling numbers.

At Friday’s White House press briefing, when asked to comment on a newly-released CBS News poll — conducted by live interviewers — which put Trump’s approval rating at only 40 percent, press secretary Sean Spicer was ready with an alternate data point. “I think there’s also a Rasmussen poll that showed he had a 51-percent approval rating,” Spicer replied sharply. In referring to an automated poll that put the president’s popularity in the black, Spicer actually understated Trump’s level of support. According to Rasmussen Reports’ most recent survey released Friday, 54 percent of likely voters approved of the president’s job performance.

The debate is a flashback to last fall’s election — in which Trump ran ahead of his poll numbers, particularly in the Upper Midwest states that propelled him to victory. And just like during the campaign season, there’s evidence suggesting that Americans may be less willing to admit they support the president and his actions if they are talking to another person on the phone, compared to polls completed with the anonymity of the internet or an automated phone interface. “I think you’re getting two things,” said John McLaughlin, a Republican pollster who worked for Trump during the campaign. “One, the online surveys, people are more likely to put in an honest answer because they’re not speaking to a human being.”

McLaughlin notes there are other differences. Some polls, like Rasmussen Reports, survey likely voters, though it isn’t clear in which election the respondents are likely to vote. The POLITICO/Morning Consult poll is conducted among registered voters, while Gallup and CNN/ORC survey all adults. Generally, polls of all adults are more Democratic-leaning, while likely-voter polls tilt more toward Republicans. Self-identified Republicans have been more likely to turn out in recent elections than their counterparts in the other party. “A poll of all adults about the new administration will tell you what a possible electorate will look like if everyone showed up,” McLaughlin said. “But they don’t.”

MORE

Forum List

Back