Trump Needs to Take Responsibility to Save His Reelection, But it's Probably too Late

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
I had this conversation with my brother and his neighbors the other night. My brother loves Trump (he's a cop) and thinks his reelection is a slam dunk because Biden is an idiot. I told him I'm not going to predict anything for November at this point, since I lost a $1,000 bet to him in 2016 that Hillary would win, but I did say if he does win it won't be the walk in the park like he thinks it is.

Trump could have saved himself a few weeks ago if he went straight to the American people and accepted responsibility. He should have set up a press conference from his desk in the Oval Office and spoke directly to the people. He should have said that in hindsight he admits they should have paid closer attention to this virus earlier and ask that the people please understand at the time they were operating with false information from China and flawed data from the WHO and the CDC. Nonetheless, he is the president and as Harry Truman once said, "the buck stops here." He'll accepts full responsibility for the missteps, but what's important now is that we all come together and find the best solution through this where we can limit the loss of life due to the virus while also mitigating the destruction to our economy and the financial well being of millions more.

The left, of course, would have pounced on that. "See!! He admits it!! His fault! His fault!" But, so what? They are going to do that anyway. The media would have a field day with it too, but again, who cares? They are going to do that anyway. That message would have been for the people in the middle: the moderate Democrats, the centrist Republicans, the suburban "Karens" who are slowly turning to the Democratic Party. Most of those people have the sense to see through the media spin and understand that yes, the world was hoodwinked, but yes, the administration should have been a bit more on top of things. They would have accepted this mea culpa on his part and he would have walked away from that speech smelling like roses. This is very similar to what Reagan did after the Iran Contra Affair and the people forgave him for it and elected his vice-president as the next president shortly thereafter.

Trump didn't do this, however, and he won't because the man is a narcissist. He takes credit for everything that happens, but points the finger at someone else when anything bad happens. He can't admit when he's wrong and he won't accept responsibility for anything. Instead, he continues to be combative. That may have worked for him when we were at DOW 29K, but not when 90% of the country is on shelter at home orders with their Constitutional liberties being grossly eroded right before their eyes with little push back.

At this point, it's probably too late for that now. His only hope is that come November people ultimately decide that staying with him four more years is better medicine than electing a 78 year old Biden who is slowly losing his mental faculties.

LOL

Nope... 73% of Americans see Trump as a leader and doing what is needed. They also see democrats as self-serving with the Peloise shut downs now numbering TWO just to get their pet projects and immoral legislation through that no one wants.

Now Trump gave the Democrat governors what they wanted, total control over their individual states reopening and they are now panicking. I was just watching Coumo and his is panicked.

In the words of the Sith lord " are you sure your feelings are clear on this lord Vader?"

I had this conversation with my brother and his neighbors the other night. My brother loves Trump (he's a cop) and thinks his reelection is a slam dunk because Biden is an idiot. I told him I'm not going to predict anything for November at this point, since I lost a $1,000 bet to him in 2016 that Hillary would win, but I did say if he does win it won't be the walk in the park like he thinks it is.

Trump could have saved himself a few weeks ago if he went straight to the American people and accepted responsibility. He should have set up a press conference from his desk in the Oval Office and spoke directly to the people. He should have said that in hindsight he admits they should have paid closer attention to this virus earlier and ask that the people please understand at the time they were operating with false information from China and flawed data from the WHO and the CDC. Nonetheless, he is the president and as Harry Truman once said, "the buck stops here." He'll accepts full responsibility for the missteps, but what's important now is that we all come together and find the best solution through this where we can limit the loss of life due to the virus while also mitigating the destruction to our economy and the financial well being of millions more.

The left, of course, would have pounced on that. "See!! He admits it!! His fault! His fault!" But, so what? They are going to do that anyway. The media would have a field day with it too, but again, who cares? They are going to do that anyway. That message would have been for the people in the middle: the moderate Democrats, the centrist Republicans, the suburban "Karens" who are slowly turning to the Democratic Party. Most of those people have the sense to see through the media spin and understand that yes, the world was hoodwinked, but yes, the administration should have been a bit more on top of things. They would have accepted this mea culpa on his part and he would have walked away from that speech smelling like roses. This is very similar to what Reagan did after the Iran Contra Affair and the people forgave him for it and elected his vice-president as the next president shortly thereafter.

Trump didn't do this, however, and he won't because the man is a narcissist. He takes credit for everything that happens, but points the finger at someone else when anything bad happens. He can't admit when he's wrong and he won't accept responsibility for anything. Instead, he continues to be combative. That may have worked for him when we were at DOW 29K, but not when 90% of the country is on shelter at home orders with their Constitutional liberties being grossly eroded right before their eyes with little push back.

At this point, it's probably too late for that now. His only hope is that come November people ultimately decide that staying with him four more years is better medicine than electing a 78 year old Biden who is slowly losing his mental faculties.
this idea that he needs to take responsibility is getting pathetic,,,he is taking it as best he can since there is no precedent for this kind of event...

sure he could have would have done something you wanted,,,but who are you but another back of the bus noise maker complaining about something you only know a small portion of,,,and besides some people will complain no matter what he did or does,,,

there you go making me defend him again when I dont even like him,,,
I wish I had a radio to drown out the noise coming from the back of the bus,,,

Much like 2016, 2 very flawed candidates.

I'd get an absentee ballot, but it wouldnt' be worth the postage to send it back in.
Biden is not nearly as flawed as Hillary was, but I've said from before he threw his hat in the ring, he's too old. I ignore all this "Biden's losing his mind" crap; it's by the same folks who said Hillary was a dying drunk and Michelle Obama was a man. But campaigning is grueling and so is running the country. Biden is a decent guy and I tend to agree with the Democratic party more lately than the Republicans, but I wish someone else were on the ticket. I really do. I don't think he'll make it through a term, so I'm going to pay VERY close attention to his VP pick.

Trump could have saved himself a few weeks ago if he went straight to the American people and accepted responsibility. He should have set up a press conference from his desk in the Oval Office and spoke directly to the people. He should have said that in hindsight he admits they should have paid closer attention to this virus earlier and ask that the people please understand at the time they were operating with false information from China and flawed data from the WHO and the CDC.
I can see why you lost $1,000 last time. Your ignorance of politics is truly astounding. Like, nothing I’ve ever seen astounding.

Show me the Trump Derangement Syndrome ass-hat leftist who would have watched that hypothetical speech from the Oval Office and instantly turned into the Grinch - with their heart growing 3 sizes and suddenly seeing everything in a new light. Suddenly, the pussy-hat-wearing idiots would have shed a tear, thought “I’ve been unfair to President Trump” and then committed themselves to his re-election. :eusa_doh:

Good grief your ignorance ignorance of politics is unimaginable. No Dumbocrat is voting for Trump (ever). No Republican is voting for Biden (ever). So the only thing that matters is who shows up to vote. It’s a matter of enthusiasm. Trump has a rabid base of devout supporters that grew due to the unprecedented prosperity under his leadership.

Biden lacks any and all enthusiasm. The Bernie Bro’s are threatening to boycott altogether. However, what Biden does have in his favor is a rabid left dying to see Trump gone. If not for that, Biden would be guaranteed the lowest voter turnout in U.S. history and President Trump would have enjoyed a landslide victory.

I'd get an absentee ballot, but it wouldnt' be worth the postage to send it back in.
Biden is not nearly as flawed as Hillary was, but I've said from before he threw his hat in the ring, he's too old. I ignore all this "Biden's losing his mind" crap; it's by the same folks who said Hillary was a dying drunk and Michelle Obama was a man. But campaigning is grueling and so is running the country. Biden is a decent guy and I tend to agree with the Democratic party more lately than the Republicans, but I wish someone else were on the ticket. I really do. I don't think he'll make it through a term, so I'm going to pay VERY close attention to his VP pick.
biden is losing his mind,,,

He should have said that in hindsight he admits they should have paid closer attention to this virus earlier and ask that the people please understand at the time they were operating with false information from China and flawed data from the WHO and the CDC.
But even that would be a shameless lie, as he went on his little hoax tour for over month while his administration was receiving dire warnings from them.

So all you are suggesting is a better strategy of lying his ass off.

I don't think he'll make it through a term, so I'm going to pay VERY close attention to his VP pick.

I'm expecting him to pick Michelle Obama, making Barack not only the first black president, the first president to become a first lady.

What's True
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax." During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.
What's False
Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

Trump is going to be what he has always been.

I doubt that this crisis has changed many minds about him. He's acted pretty much the way he always has.

should I introduce a new thead---WHAT WOULD HILLARY HAVE DONE ?????

Trump is going to be what he has always been.

I doubt that this crisis has changed many minds about him. He's acted pretty much the way he always has.
Yup. Saying one thing, doing another.

Trump Hotels Aren’t Housing Healthcare Workers Amid COVID-19 Pandemic

Despite the White House’s praise for the thousands of hotels across the country that are housing healthcare workers at the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump’s own hotels reportedly aren’t participating in the effort.

According to a Washington Post report Saturday, local officials in the five U.S. cities where Trump’s company operates hotels — New York, Chicago, Miami, Washington and Honolulu — say that the hotel has yet to provide housing for medical workers for no-cost or at reduced rates.
.............................................................................................................................
That's one deplorable asshole occupying the Oval Office...........when he isn't playing golf, having his hair done, holding rallies, watching Faux, tweeting, and holding campaign rallies under the guise of virus updates.

Forum List

Back