Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

What is going to happen as soon as Trumps mandate goes into effect is a far left speaker who wants to talk about abortion rights will apply to speak at Liberty University

Then Trump will be forced to show how sincere he is about freedom of speech

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged

Because the two situations are in no way related?

And it isn't speakers spewing hate, and even if it was, let them speak. the best disinfectant is sunlight, not shadows.

The speakers being denied are being CALLED fascists, but are in no way, shape, or form, fascist.
no, it's irony. they are pushing fascism to disallow another from speaking. they are exactly what they yell.

Coulter is an agent provocateur, well paid to rile up both supporters and detractors of trumpism. Neo fascists and Antifa - most of whom are not and never have been students in a U. or 4-year college - will promote unrest and create violence on campuses. The last thing a community in a college city needs are riots.

EO's are the realm of the lazy. If something is worth doing, fight to actually get it made into something enforceable.
with how crappy our congress / senate is these days, EO's are about all that are left to put any policy into place.

it sucks. i hated it when obama did it and not a fan of trump doing it. we're bypassing the very systems that are supposed to keep us in check - ALL SIDES - and making excuses for why it's ok.

sooner or later the dog knock over the house of cards and you wind up with a new TV vs. a canoe or sewing machine.

I disagree. Few supported Reagan's action to get us out of the stagflation when he became president. He lead though. He made his arguments. He got what he wanted. You can argue on either side whether he was a good president or not BUT he was a leader.

Trump is not.
what the hell does reagan have to do with anything i said?

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?

Which Christian Colleges are suppressing the free speech of their students?

any christian college that denies gays, atheists, muslims, liberals, feminists, evolutionists to speak on campus.

What is going to happen as soon as Trumps mandate goes into effect is a far left speaker who wants to talk about abortion rights will apply to speak at Liberty University

Then Trump will be forced to show how sincere he is about freedom of speech
I already pointed out to you that Liberty does not receive federal funds

so like the song says, Sumthin from nuthin leaves nuthin

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?
Liberty University in Virginia invited and allowed Bernie Sanders to speak back in 2016....its a christian university.

great

do they allow gay speakers?
atheists?
muslims?
commies?
fascists?

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged

And it isn't speakers spewing hate, and even if it was, let them speak. the best disinfectant is sunlight, not shadows.

The speakers being denied are being CALLED fascists, but are in no way, shape, or form, fascist.
Who has been denied the right to speak lately? I am sure you'd all be whining about it nonstop if anyone had. The reason for the denials is usually concern about riots/out of control protests that make security impossible and puts students at risk.
and we have less riots when the left has guest speakers on campus?

just because a group of anti-fa protests someone speaking on a campus is no reason to say "ok, gosh. you may get violent so we need to call this off". i do NOT advocate their violence or anyone elses. but the potential for it should not be a deciding factor in why someone should be allowed to speak or not. if someone in the anti-fa breaks a law, arrest them.

giving in is only going to empower them to do it again.

The last two wars further divided our country, same words being used again. one side" love it or leave it," your un-American if you don't support the president or the war. & the other took it out on those in the military. Once again things just cant get crazy enough to please a largely demented angry population. who do you think was right about those two wars? the rumble of War is in play again, is that OK?

EO's are the realm of the lazy. If something is worth doing, fight to actually get it made into something enforceable.
with how crappy our congress / senate is these days, EO's are about all that are left to put any policy into place.

it sucks. i hated it when obama did it and not a fan of trump doing it. we're bypassing the very systems that are supposed to keep us in check - ALL SIDES - and making excuses for why it's ok.

sooner or later the dog knock over the house of cards and you wind up with a new TV vs. a canoe or sewing machine.

I disagree. Few supported Reagan's action to get us out of the stagflation when he became president. He lead though. He made his arguments. He got what he wanted. You can argue on either side whether he was a good president or not BUT he was a leader.

Trump is not.
Dems have a new slogan now- Resist. During Reagan’s time there were those that were willing to compromise. Compromise is not part of their language or strategy anymore. It is to simply resist.

Does the NFL receive federal funding?

It did. So did MLB, NBA, etc etc. NFL sent theirs back, I'm not aware that any of the others did.

That's why they had all those Jingo commercials inserted in places where people came to watch a game -- the Pentagon paid for those displays. With your tax dollars.

The old "paid patriotism" scandal, remember?

The memory is the second thing to go.

Trump is not.
what the hell does reagan have to do with anything i said?

Exactly what I stated. Leaders lead, they don't sign EO's.

Funny how he takes the direct-opposite position with the media, innit.

Rump doesn't allocate that funding anyway. If you believe this, he's got a bridge for sale too. Nice bridge. Goes nowhere.
so obammy didn't bail out the car industry?

How much federal funding does the NFL receive annually, on average?

Ah, you mean from the Pentagon, pimping those jingo displays?

NFL actually sent that money back. I think it was something like three-quarters of a million at the time.

That was funding?

I thought it was for ads.

Trump is not.
Dems have a new slogan now- Resist. During Reagan’s time there were those that were willing to compromise. Compromise is not part of their language or strategy anymore. It is to simply resist.

Leaders lead. They do not make excuses.

Who has been denied the right to speak lately? I am sure you'd all be whining about it nonstop if anyone had. The reason for the denials is usually concern about riots/out of control protests that make security impossible and puts students at risk.
and we have less riots when the left has guest speakers on campus?

just because a group of anti-fa protests someone speaking on a campus is no reason to say "ok, gosh. you may get violent so we need to call this off". i do NOT advocate their violence or anyone elses. but the potential for it should not be a deciding factor in why someone should be allowed to speak or not. if someone in the anti-fa breaks a law, arrest them.

giving in is only going to empower them to do it again.
No one "invites" Antifa to these protests--they sneak/trickle in and once there is a big enough crowd to hid themselves, they get to work. They are not part of the college community and do not belong on campus. If I were a campus security official, I would make sure that anyone wearing a mask or bandanna over their face would be removed without further discussion.

The ONLY thing this EO shows is that the President is watching too much Fox.

no, it's irony. they are pushing fascism to disallow another from speaking. they are exactly what they yell.

Coulter is an agent provocateur, well paid to rile up both supporters and detractors of trumpism. Neo fascists and Antifa - most of whom are not and never have been students in a U. or 4-year college - will promote unrest and create violence on campuses. The last thing a community in a college city needs are riots.
you should speak out and back Ann.

Forum List

Back