Trump orders colleges to back free speech or lose funding

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged

Because the two situations are in no way related?

And it isn't speakers spewing hate, and even if it was, let them speak. the best disinfectant is sunlight, not shadows.

The speakers being denied are being CALLED fascists, but are in no way, shape, or form, fascist.
Who has been denied the right to speak lately? I am sure you'd all be whining about it nonstop if anyone had. The reason for the denials is usually concern about riots/out of control protests that make security impossible and puts students at risk.
and we have less riots when the left has guest speakers on campus?

just because a group of anti-fa protests someone speaking on a campus is no reason to say "ok, gosh. you may get violent so we need to call this off". i do NOT advocate their violence or anyone elses. but the potential for it should not be a deciding factor in why someone should be allowed to speak or not. if someone in the anti-fa breaks a law, arrest them.

giving in is only going to empower them to do it again.
No one "invites" Antifa to these protests--they sneak/trickle in and once there is a big enough crowd to hid themselves, they get to work. They are not part of the college community and do not belong on campus. If I were a campus security official, I would make sure that anyone wearing a mask or bandanna over their face would be removed without further discussion.

The ONLY thing this EO shows is that the President is watching too much Fox.
ahhh so the talking points have arrived huh? you're now the second one with the same statement. they call that boilerplating. oops. antifa started at Universities.

Guess Trump gets to decide what speech he will protect

He didn’t protect free speech in the NFL

Does the NFL get federal funding? Does the NFL purport to be open spaces for the free exchange of ideas?
What right does Trump have to condemn free speech in the NFL while condemning colleges for doing the same?

A speaker spews hate about Muslims, Mexicans and Gays and a College says he is not welcome

A football player silently protests police killings of African Americans and the President is outraged

How much federal funding does the NFL receive annually, on average?

Ah, you mean from the Pentagon, pimping those jingo displays?

NFL actually sent that money back. I think it was something like three-quarters of a million at the time.

That was funding?

I thought it was for ads.

You think ads run for free?

Without looking it up I believe the figure was $723,000 of taxpayer money that NFL sent back, and was supposed to be doing an audit to look for more.

Is the Trumpybear offering grants for security for our students, or do they expect the Universities or the States to pick up the tab to ensure that all our children are safe on campus when controversial or extreme Pundants are invited by a Student Group.?
The "children" are the problem. They throw a temper tantrum when someone with adult ideas enters their safe space.

And it isn't speakers spewing hate, and even if it was, let them speak. the best disinfectant is sunlight, not shadows.

The speakers being denied are being CALLED fascists, but are in no way, shape, or form, fascist.
no, it's irony. they are pushing fascism to disallow another from speaking. they are exactly what they yell.

Coulter is an agent provocateur, well paid to rile up both supporters and detractors of trumpism. Neo fascists and Antifa - most of whom are not and never have been students in a U. or 4-year college - will promote unrest and create violence on campuses. The last thing a community in a college city needs are riots.

So she does not have the right to speak, or more importantly, paying Students of a given University of College do not have the right to invite her to speak to them?

Agent Provocateur is a weasel word.

You mean instead of leftist college presidents?

I prefer trump over them

i prefer "we the people" decide and leave it at that. but when there are colleges who actively silence dissenting opinions, they need to know that's a party foul. if you're going to give one side campus resources for their ideas, it goes to all.

You're too simple to understand consequences, Simon. I doubt you ever attended a U. or 4-year college, and don't understand that free speech on campuses began at CAL in the 60's; then, the establishment with the go ahead from Reagan used tear gas and SWAT teams to quell a non violent protest.

Trump is a reactive and impulsive actor, one who never seems to consider consequences beyond what he wants, now. The facts we have seen is he never takes advice before he acts, and when consequences foreseen by others occur, he blames others for those consquences.

As my colleague rightwinger posted, what if Liberty University is inundated by supporters of abortion, or athiests who argue there is no god and pose all of the arguments in opposition to the clergy as nothing more than demagogues and charlatans?

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---
see link for the rest of the story.

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?

Which Christian Colleges are suppressing the free speech of their students?

any christian college that denies gays, atheists, muslims, liberals, feminists, evolutionists to speak on campus.

Examples? Remember in the cases where the left has suppressed speech, it was student groups FROM THE INSTITUTION IN QUESTION that invited said speakers that were either denied access, or harassed by the admin and protesters.

In this specific case another question must be asked, do said institutions take federal grant money? (the issue of public vs private institution is moot as no religious college or university is public)

NFL actually sent that money back. I think it was something like three-quarters of a million at the time.

That was funding?

Without looking it up I believe the figure was $723,000 of taxpayer money that NFL sent back, and was supposed to be doing an audit to look for more.

I think there is a hellova difference between buying ads, and funding.

When they become the same in your world?

Last edited:

Who has been denied the right to speak lately? I am sure you'd all be whining about it nonstop if anyone had. The reason for the denials is usually concern about riots/out of control protests that make security impossible and puts students at risk.

just because a group of anti-fa protests someone speaking on a campus is no reason to say "ok, gosh. you may get violent so we need to call this off". i do NOT advocate their violence or anyone elses. but the potential for it should not be a deciding factor in why someone should be allowed to speak or not. if someone in the anti-fa breaks a law, arrest them.

No one "invites" Antifa to these protests--they sneak/trickle in and once there is a big enough crowd to hid themselves, they get to work. They are not part of the college community and do not belong on campus. If I were a campus security official, I would make sure that anyone wearing a mask or bandanna over their face would be removed without further discussion.

ahhh so the talking points have arrived huh? you're now the second one with the same statement. they call that boilerplating. oops. antifa started at Universities.
Antifa started in Europe during WWII, you jerk. I'm telling you what left wing protesters have said. They ought to know--they were there, which you weren't.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday requiring U.S. colleges to protect free speech on their campuses or risk losing federal research funding.

The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free speech and the exchange of ideas, and to follow federal rules guiding free expression.

“Even as universities have received billions and billions of dollars from taxpayers, many have become increasingly hostile to free speech and to the First Amendment,” Trump said at a White House signing ceremony. “These universities have tried to restrict free thought, impose total conformity and shut down the voices of great young Americans.”
---

but good. if they're not going to allow both sides equal time, then no $ for you.

But will he withhold federal funds from universities that fail to support speech in favor of pro-choice, of LGBTQ rights, or of other expressions of the speakers' beliefs, or is this all one-sided? The AP article also mentions cases in which a speaker was heckled, raising the question of whether or not heckling is "free speech" or a violation of it.

That's bullshit. The campus groups that oppose the speakers I am sure have contacts with the more radical protest groups, and I'm sure some are attending the schools in question. given Anti-fa's penchant for masks, saying "they aren't part of us" is a convinent excuse used by SJW types on campus to get what they want and proclaim their hands clean.

That was funding?

You think ads run for free

When they become the same in you world?

That was a QUESTION. You removed the question mark but it's still "[Do] you think ads run for free?"

Answer it.

*EVERY* and I mean every, commercial TV or radio station you ever see and/or hear is FUNDED by its advertisers. "Funded" because that's where its FUNDS come from.

---

Did he tell CHRISTIAN COLLEGES that they will lose THEIR federal funding if they don't protect free speech?

any christian college that denies gays, atheists, muslims, liberals, feminists, evolutionists to speak on campus.

Examples? Remember in the cases where the left has suppressed speech, it was student groups FROM THE INSTITUTION IN QUESTION that invited said speakers that were either denied access, or harassed by the admin and protesters.

In this specific case another question must be asked, do said institutions take federal grant money? (the issue of public vs private institution is moot as no religious college or university is public)

They do participate in the federal student loan programs.

Student Loans | Student Financial Services | Liberty University

Is the Trumpybear offering grants for security for our students, or do they expect the Universities or the States to pick up the tab to ensure that all our children are safe on campus when controversial or extreme Pundants are invited by a Student Group.?
so you don't read the story - you just dive straight into snarkshit?

got it.

So, you don't know the answer? It's a hot button issue for propaganda purposes. They've offer no funding for extra security.

"Some colleges leaders have said they worry the order could backfire. If a speaking event threatens to turn violent, for example, some say they might have to choose between canceling the event for safety and allowing it to continue to preserve federal funding."

Antifa started in Europe during WWII, you jerk. I'm telling you what left wing protesters have said. They ought to know--they were there, which you weren't.

That is possibly one of the dumbest statements I have ever seen on this board. SHE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED dumb.

It was loser college age kids who pushed the nazi's back?

Anti-fa is to actual anti-fascists as MTV currently is to music.

---

They do participate in the federal student loan programs.

Student Loans | Student Financial Services | Liberty University

Those are grants to the students, not the institutions. Liberty is quite clear on that.

Denying student loan money to students based on what accredited university they goes to violates the students rights, has nothing to do with the institution in question.

Plus most of that money is in the form of loans, not grants.

That was funding?

You think ads run for free

When they become the same in you world?

That was a QUESTION. You removed the question mark but it's still "[Do] you think ads run for free?"

Answer it.

*EVERY* and I mean every, commercial TV or radio station you ever see and/or hear is FUNDED by its advertisers. "Funded" because that's where its FUNDS come from.

The lack of the ? was an accident. It's been fixed.

and the ? remains,

Is buying ads the same as federal funding in your world?

(it isn't, in mine)

That's bullshit. The campus groups that oppose the speakers I am sure have contacts with the more radical protest groups, and I'm sure some are attending the schools in question. given Anti-fa's penchant for masks, saying "they aren't part of us" is a convinent excuse used by SJW types on campus to get what they want and proclaim their hands clean.
Make up whatever scenarios you like, Marty. You have absolutely no basis for that, except that you would like it to be true. Security personnel and left wing protest organizers tell the real story.

That is possibly one of the dumbest statements I have ever seen on this board. SHE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED dumb.

It was loser college age kids who pushed the nazi's back?

Anti-fa is to actual anti-fascists as MTV currently is to music.

She's right, Marty. The curious lexicographical construction "AntiFa" may be a recent invention but anti-Fascism has been around for quite a spell. Hell Adolf Hitler was in an eternal fight against them (so was Franco but he won).

Here are two you might recognize that the government executed:

upload_2020-2-12_11-41-49.jpeg

Forum List

Back