Trump PRAISES General Lee at OHIO Campaign Rally = WTF?

Trump: 'Robert E. Lee was a great general'

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldnā€™t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I donā€™t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I canā€™t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

WTF is Trump doing; Quaaludes, Mary Jane, both, more?

Ahhh... the butthurt thread of the weekend has arrived. I was wondering why we aren't getting any butthurt, but here it finally is.

excellent NO CONTENT crap post there bubba boy; next time try & discuss the OP

You know, Trump, Ohio, praising General Lee, that kinda stuff

President Trump says ā€˜Lee was a great generalā€™

5bc21450dda4c837768b4612.JPG

So, when the hell is speaking the truth wrong?

In the era of Confederate statues and monuments being removed due to the Southā€™s history of slavery, Robert E. Lee isnā€™t often talked about in a good light. But President Donald Trump managed to bring him up at a rally in Lebanon, Ohio on Friday.

ā€œSo Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldnā€™t beat Robert E. Lee,ā€ Trump said.

He went on to explain that Lee was ā€œwinning battle after battle after battleā€ in the Civil War, and that Lincoln came home and said ā€œI canā€™t beat Robert E. Lee.ā€

At that point, Trump explained, Lincoln looked to Ulysses S. Grant to save the day ā€“ even though he was told Grant had a drinking problem.

ā€œAnd he went in and knocked the hell out of everyone,ā€ Trump said of Grant.

The Left has gone so out of it that they canā€™t tolerate the truth from our president.

More @ ā€˜Lee was a great generalā€™: Trumpā€™s Civil War remarks spark Twitter row
Did the moron in the WH mention Lee was also a great slave trader?? And the idiot was appealing for blacks to vote for him ? A truly idiot President A republican ,,,but I repeat myself
Tell me about the Duke of York......
I only know the duke duke duke of Earl
:abgg2q.jpg:

POTUS Trump went on an extended rant praising Civil War era Confederate General Robert E. Lee during a campaign rally before an Ohio audience.

"So Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldnā€™t beat Robert E. Lee."

"He was going crazy. I donā€™t know if you know this story. But Robert E. Lee was winning battle after battle after battle. And Abraham Lincoln came home, he said, 'I canā€™t beat Robert E. Lee,' " Trump said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems odd that Trump chose an Ohio audience to be the recipient of such a strange rant, considering that many prominent Union Army members came from Ohio, General Grant being likely the most notable.

I don't believe Ohioans know shit about Civil War history but it sure seems surreal for any POTUS to be heaping praise on General Lee in old Union Army territory. And this is going on in 2018. WTF?

He is living rent free in the triggered minds of TDS-suffering snowflakes! :p

I swear sometimes I think he says some things just to watch Snowflake heads explode.

Bwuhahahaha!

Well then, you haven't been paying attention because Trump was saying some of the dumbest shit looooooooong before he got into politics.

You could fit what Trump knows about the Civil War on a postcard

His lecturing the people of Ohio on who Grant and Lee were was an embarrassment.

He is living rent free in the triggered minds of TDS-suffering snowflakes! :p

I swear sometimes I think he says some things just to watch Snowflake heads explode.

Bwuhahahaha!

Well then, you haven't been paying attention because Trump was saying some of the dumbest shit looooooooong before he got into politics.
....RENT FREE.... :p

Too late, Donald Trump is so over the top that the only embarrassment at this stage of the game is in not understanding his windbag way of speaking. To be expected from him.

You could fit what Trump knows about the Civil War on a postcard

His lecturing the people of Ohio on who Grant and Lee were was an embarrassment.
We have a buffoon as president A lying degenerate buffoon A republican ,,but I repeat myself

Robert E. Lee was indeed a great man. Your lack of historical knowledge and perspective does not change that. It just means you're ignnorant.

I never said Lee wasn't a great General.

You missed the point.

Sure you did. You are theatrically morning and wringing your hands because Trump said Lee was ā€œa great generalā€.
Another anti-American subhuman backpedaling.

Show me & everyone else here where I said Lee wasn't a great General.

You can't because I didn't say that.

But go ahead jackass; we'll wait.

Ok. Letā€™s hear you say lee was a great general. Just like trump did.

I did say just that in an earlier post; try paying attention for once

So you actually *dont* have a problem with Trump's statement?

Small minds like yours must get whiplash. Sure you dont want to check the Washington Post for your opinion before you answer?

Confederates were Americans fighting to resist economic domination from the North, and to uphold Constitutional state's rights. That's all.

You missed the point.

Sure you did. You are theatrically morning and wringing your hands because Trump said Lee was ā€œa great generalā€.

Small minds like yours must get whiplash. Sure you dont want to check the Washington Post for your opinion before you answer?

wow; nothing upstairs, huh? There are plenty posts of mine here to refer to.

In the era of Confederate statues and monuments being removed due to the Southā€™s history of slavery, Robert E. Lee isnā€™t often talked about in a good light. But President Donald Trump managed to bring him up at a rally in Lebanon, Ohio on Friday.

ā€œSo Robert E. Lee was a great general. And Abraham Lincoln developed a phobia. He couldnā€™t beat Robert E. Lee,ā€ Trump said.

He went on to explain that Lee was ā€œwinning battle after battle after battleā€ in the Civil War, and that Lincoln came home and said ā€œI canā€™t beat Robert E. Lee.ā€

At that point, Trump explained, Lincoln looked to Ulysses S. Grant to save the day ā€“ even though he was told Grant had a drinking problem.

The Left has gone so out of it that they canā€™t tolerate the truth from our president.

More @ ā€˜Lee was a great generalā€™: Trumpā€™s Civil War remarks spark Twitter row
Did the moron in the WH mention Lee was also a great slave trader?? And the idiot was appealing for blacks to vote for him ? A truly idiot President A republican ,,,but I repeat myself

Have YOU really studied history? Or are you simply a butthurt Snowflake who mouths anti-Trump trash without knowing what you're talking about?

Read the following - with an open mind, if you can:

Lee's views on race and slavery
Several historians have noted the paradoxical nature of Lee's beliefs and actions concerning race and slavery. While Lee protested he had sympathetic feelings for blacks, they were subordinate to his own racial identity.[76] While Lee held slavery to be an evil institution, he also saw some benefit to blacks held in slavery.[77] While Lee helped assist individual slaves to freedom in Liberia, and provided for their emancipation in his own will,[78] he believed the enslaved should be eventually freed in a general way only at some unspecified future date as a part of God's purpose.[76] Slavery for Lee was a moral and religious issue, and not one that would yield to political solutions.[79] Emancipation would sooner come from Christian impulse among slave masters before "storms and tempests of fiery controversy" such as was occurring in "Bleeding Kansas".[76] Countering southerners who argued for slavery as a positive good, Lee in his well known analysis of slavery from an 1856 letter called it a moral and political evil. While both Robert and his wife Mary Lee were disgusted with slavery, they also defended it against Abolitionist demands for immediate emancipation for all enslaved.[80]

Like Washington, Lee's father-in-law G. W. Parke Custis freed his slaves in his will.[81] In the same tradition, before leaving to serve in Mexico, Lee had written a will providing for the manumission of the only slaves he owned.[82] Parke Custis was a member of the American Colonization Society established to gradually end slavery by establishing a free republic in Liberia for African-Americans, and Lee assisted several ex-slaves to emigrate there. But according to historian Richard B. McCaslin, Lee was a gradual emancipationist, denouncing extremist proposals for immediate abolition of slavery. Lee rejected what he called evilly motivated political passion, fearing a civil and servile war from precipitous emancipation.[83]

Historian Elizabeth Brown Pryor offered an alternative interpretation of Lee's voluntary manumission of slaves in his will, and assisting slaves to a life of freedom in Liberia, seeing Lee as conforming to a "primacy of slave law". She wrote that Lee's private views on race and slavery "which today seem startling, were entirely unremarkable in Lee's world. No visionary, Lee nearly always tried to conform to accepted opinions. His assessment of black inferiority, of the necessity of racial stratification, the primacy of slave law, and even a divine sanction for it all, was in keeping with the prevailing views of other moderate slaveholders and a good many prominent Northerners."[84]

On taking on the role of administrator for the Parke Custis will, Lee used a provision to retain them in slavery to produce income for the estate to retire debt.[81] Lee did not welcome the role of planter while administering the Custis properties at Romancoke, another nearby the Pamunkey River and Arlington; he rented the estate's mill. While all the estates prospered under his administration, Lee was unhappy at direct participation in slavery as a hated institution.[82]

Even before what Michael Fellman called a "sorry involvement in actual slave management", Lee judged the experience of white mastery to be a greater moral evil to the white man than blacks suffering under the "painful discipline" of slavery which introduced Christianity, literacy and a work ethic to the "heathen African".[85] Columbia University historian Eric Foner notes that Lee "was not a pro-slavery ideologue. But I think equally important is that, unlike some white southerners, he never spoke out against slavery."[86] By the time of Lee's career in the U.S. Army, officers of West Point stood aloof from party and sectional strife on such issues as slavery as a matter of principle and Lee adhered to the principle.[87][88] He considered it his patriotic duty to be apolitical while in active Army service,[89][90][91] and Lee did not speak out publicly on the subject of slavery prior to the Civil War.[92][93] Before the outbreak of the War, in 1860, Lee voted for John C. Breckinridge, who was the extreme pro-slavery candidate in the 1860 presidential election, not John Bell, the more moderate Southerner who won Virginia.[94]

Lee himself owned a small number of slaves in his lifetime and considered himself a paternalistic master.[94] There are various historical and newspaper hearsay accounts of Lee personally whipping a slave, but they are not direct eyewitness accounts. He was definitely involved in administering the day-to-day operations of a plantation and was involved in the recapture of runaway slaves.[95] One historian noted that Lee separated slave families, something that prominent slave-holding families in Virginia such as Washington and Custis did not do.[96] In 1862, Lee freed the slaves that his wife inherited, but that was in accordance with his father-in-law's will.[97]

Lee claimed that he found slavery bothersome and time-consuming as an everyday institution to run. In an 1856 letter to his wife he maintained that slavery was a great evil, but primarily due to adverse impact that it had on white people:[98]

In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.[99]

Foner writes that "Lee's code of gentlemanly conduct did not seem to apply to blacks" during the War, as he did not stop his soldiers from kidnapping free black farmers and selling them into slavery.[86] Princeton University historian James M. McPherson noted that Lee rejected a prisoner exchange between the Confederacy and the Union when the Union demanded that black Union soldiers be included.[96] Lee did not accept the swap until a few months before the Confederacy's surrender.[96]

In December 1864 Lee was shown a letter by Louisiana Senator Edward Sparrow, written by General St. John R. Liddell, which noted Lee would be hard-pressed in the interior of Virginia by spring, and the need to consider Patrick Cleburne's plan to emancipate the slaves and put all men in the army who were willing to join. Lee was said to have agreed on all points and desired to get black soldiers, saying "he could make soldiers out of any human being that had arms and legs."[100]

After the War, Lee told a congressional committee that blacks were "not disposed to work", and did not possess the intellectual capacity to vote and participate in politics.[97] Lee also said to the committee that he hoped that Virginia could "get rid of them," referring to blacks.[97] While not politically active, Lee defended Lincoln's successor Andrew Johnson's approach to Reconstruction, which according to Foner, "abandoned the former slaves to the mercy of governments controlled by their former owners."[101] According to Foner, "A word from Lee might have encouraged white Southerners to accord blacks equal rights and inhibited the violence against the freed people that swept the region during Reconstruction, but he chose to remain silent."[97] Lee was also urged to condemn the white supremacy terrorist[102] organization Ku Klux Klan, but opted to remain silent.[94]

In the generation following the war, Lee, though he died just a few years later, became a central figure in the Lost Cause interpretation of the war. The argument that Lee had always somehow opposed slavery helped maintain his stature as a symbol of Southern honor and national reconciliation.[94] Douglas Southall Freeman's Pulitzer prize-winning four-volume R. E. Lee: A Biography (1936), which was for a long period considered the definitive work on Lee, downplayed his involvement in slavery and emphasized Lee as a virtuous person. Eric Foner, who describes Freeman's volume as a "hagiography", notes that on the whole, Freeman "displayed little interest in Lee's relationship to slavery. The index to his four volumes contained 22 entries for 'devotion to duty', 19 for 'kindness', 53 for Lee's celebrated horse, Traveller. But 'slavery', 'slave emancipation' and 'slave insurrection' together received five. Freeman observed, without offering details, that slavery in Virginia represented the system 'at its best'. He ignored the postwar testimony of Lee's former slave Wesley Norris about the brutal treatment to which he had been subjected."[94]

A man of his time who did his best according to his beliefs from birth.

You missed the point.

I donā€™t have a problem with Trump praising Grant in Ohio
But does he have to sound like such a douche?

He acts like he is the one discovering that Grant was a great General

Last edited:

He acts like he is discovering that Grant was a great General
Tactics wise...........Grant wasn't really that Great..........but he understood that no matter the loses he had to press on and keep the heat up. He knew that he had the numbers and resources to keep it going............the South didn't..........so he pressed on regardless of casualties and won the day..........

It wasn't that Grant was such a "great general" as much as he was far more aggressive than previous Union duds.

Have YOU really studied history? Or are you simply a butthurt Snowflake who mouths anti-Trump trash without knowing what you're talking about?

Read the following - with an open mind, if you can:

Lee's views on race and slavery
Several historians have noted the paradoxical nature of Lee's beliefs and actions concerning race and slavery. While Lee protested he had sympathetic feelings for blacks, they were subordinate to his own racial identity.[76] While Lee held slavery to be an evil institution, he also saw some benefit to blacks held in slavery.[77] While Lee helped assist individual slaves to freedom in Liberia, and provided for their emancipation in his own will,[78] he believed the enslaved should be eventually freed in a general way only at some unspecified future date as a part of God's purpose.[76] Slavery for Lee was a moral and religious issue, and not one that would yield to political solutions.[79] Emancipation would sooner come from Christian impulse among slave masters before "storms and tempests of fiery controversy" such as was occurring in "Bleeding Kansas".[76] Countering southerners who argued for slavery as a positive good, Lee in his well known analysis of slavery from an 1856 letter called it a moral and political evil. While both Robert and his wife Mary Lee were disgusted with slavery, they also defended it against Abolitionist demands for immediate emancipation for all enslaved.[80]

Like Washington, Lee's father-in-law G. W. Parke Custis freed his slaves in his will.[81] In the same tradition, before leaving to serve in Mexico, Lee had written a will providing for the manumission of the only slaves he owned.[82] Parke Custis was a member of the American Colonization Society established to gradually end slavery by establishing a free republic in Liberia for African-Americans, and Lee assisted several ex-slaves to emigrate there. But according to historian Richard B. McCaslin, Lee was a gradual emancipationist, denouncing extremist proposals for immediate abolition of slavery. Lee rejected what he called evilly motivated political passion, fearing a civil and servile war from precipitous emancipation.[83]

Historian Elizabeth Brown Pryor offered an alternative interpretation of Lee's voluntary manumission of slaves in his will, and assisting slaves to a life of freedom in Liberia, seeing Lee as conforming to a "primacy of slave law". She wrote that Lee's private views on race and slavery "which today seem startling, were entirely unremarkable in Lee's world. No visionary, Lee nearly always tried to conform to accepted opinions. His assessment of black inferiority, of the necessity of racial stratification, the primacy of slave law, and even a divine sanction for it all, was in keeping with the prevailing views of other moderate slaveholders and a good many prominent Northerners."[84]

On taking on the role of administrator for the Parke Custis will, Lee used a provision to retain them in slavery to produce income for the estate to retire debt.[81] Lee did not welcome the role of planter while administering the Custis properties at Romancoke, another nearby the Pamunkey River and Arlington; he rented the estate's mill. While all the estates prospered under his administration, Lee was unhappy at direct participation in slavery as a hated institution.[82]

Even before what Michael Fellman called a "sorry involvement in actual slave management", Lee judged the experience of white mastery to be a greater moral evil to the white man than blacks suffering under the "painful discipline" of slavery which introduced Christianity, literacy and a work ethic to the "heathen African".[85] Columbia University historian Eric Foner notes that Lee "was not a pro-slavery ideologue. But I think equally important is that, unlike some white southerners, he never spoke out against slavery."[86] By the time of Lee's career in the U.S. Army, officers of West Point stood aloof from party and sectional strife on such issues as slavery as a matter of principle and Lee adhered to the principle.[87][88] He considered it his patriotic duty to be apolitical while in active Army service,[89][90][91] and Lee did not speak out publicly on the subject of slavery prior to the Civil War.[92][93] Before the outbreak of the War, in 1860, Lee voted for John C. Breckinridge, who was the extreme pro-slavery candidate in the 1860 presidential election, not John Bell, the more moderate Southerner who won Virginia.[94]

Lee himself owned a small number of slaves in his lifetime and considered himself a paternalistic master.[94] There are various historical and newspaper hearsay accounts of Lee personally whipping a slave, but they are not direct eyewitness accounts. He was definitely involved in administering the day-to-day operations of a plantation and was involved in the recapture of runaway slaves.[95] One historian noted that Lee separated slave families, something that prominent slave-holding families in Virginia such as Washington and Custis did not do.[96] In 1862, Lee freed the slaves that his wife inherited, but that was in accordance with his father-in-law's will.[97]

Lee claimed that he found slavery bothersome and time-consuming as an everyday institution to run. In an 1856 letter to his wife he maintained that slavery was a great evil, but primarily due to adverse impact that it had on white people:[98]

In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.[99]

Foner writes that "Lee's code of gentlemanly conduct did not seem to apply to blacks" during the War, as he did not stop his soldiers from kidnapping free black farmers and selling them into slavery.[86] Princeton University historian James M. McPherson noted that Lee rejected a prisoner exchange between the Confederacy and the Union when the Union demanded that black Union soldiers be included.[96] Lee did not accept the swap until a few months before the Confederacy's surrender.[96]

In December 1864 Lee was shown a letter by Louisiana Senator Edward Sparrow, written by General St. John R. Liddell, which noted Lee would be hard-pressed in the interior of Virginia by spring, and the need to consider Patrick Cleburne's plan to emancipate the slaves and put all men in the army who were willing to join. Lee was said to have agreed on all points and desired to get black soldiers, saying "he could make soldiers out of any human being that had arms and legs."[100]

After the War, Lee told a congressional committee that blacks were "not disposed to work", and did not possess the intellectual capacity to vote and participate in politics.[97] Lee also said to the committee that he hoped that Virginia could "get rid of them," referring to blacks.[97] While not politically active, Lee defended Lincoln's successor Andrew Johnson's approach to Reconstruction, which according to Foner, "abandoned the former slaves to the mercy of governments controlled by their former owners."[101] According to Foner, "A word from Lee might have encouraged white Southerners to accord blacks equal rights and inhibited the violence against the freed people that swept the region during Reconstruction, but he chose to remain silent."[97] Lee was also urged to condemn the white supremacy terrorist[102] organization Ku Klux Klan, but opted to remain silent.[94]

In the generation following the war, Lee, though he died just a few years later, became a central figure in the Lost Cause interpretation of the war. The argument that Lee had always somehow opposed slavery helped maintain his stature as a symbol of Southern honor and national reconciliation.[94] Douglas Southall Freeman's Pulitzer prize-winning four-volume R. E. Lee: A Biography (1936), which was for a long period considered the definitive work on Lee, downplayed his involvement in slavery and emphasized Lee as a virtuous person. Eric Foner, who describes Freeman's volume as a "hagiography", notes that on the whole, Freeman "displayed little interest in Lee's relationship to slavery. The index to his four volumes contained 22 entries for 'devotion to duty', 19 for 'kindness', 53 for Lee's celebrated horse, Traveller. But 'slavery', 'slave emancipation' and 'slave insurrection' together received five. Freeman observed, without offering details, that slavery in Virginia represented the system 'at its best'. He ignored the postwar testimony of Lee's former slave Wesley Norris about the brutal treatment to which he had been subjected."[94]

A man of his time who did his best according to his beliefs from birth.

This is what Marxists do. They project the morals they invented yesterday back centuries. Political purity is a must. Thatā€™s why they revel in tearing down statues and rewriting history.
They also periodically purge each other for the same reason. None of them ever know but what they are saying today may be judged bourgeois and counter revolutionary tomorrow.

3B2E4755-A70F-4DFE-9D49-D814963FD892.jpeg

It wasn't that Grant was such a "great general" as much as he was far more aggressive than previous Union duds.
He lost 33,000 men in 2 and a half weeks on the drive to Richmond........large numbers went into the slaughter house at Cold Harbor. They were slaughtered in droves.........

Grant had made the same mistake as Hooker at Frederickburg.......who did the same thing.........just like Lee at Gettysburg...........

But Grant didn't flinch and forced the fight to his strategic objectives............Without the number superiority it would have been lost..........The South simply didn't have the numbers and supplies...........

In regards to Fredericksburg........Lee was outnumbered by 40 to 45,000 men..........but Hooker just threw them into the meat grinder there....... Hancock tried to prevent it...........wanted to forge and take the high ground early but wasn't allowed.........Hancock by all purposes was a very good tactical General.........He would have been a better pick than most in regards to tactics on the field.............

And to whit...

The United States government has issued two coins honoring Lee and 5 postage stamps.
West Point has a barracks, a road, a hall and a Mathematics award named in his honor. His portrait hangs in the superintendents office and the mess hall.
The United States Navy named a ballistic missile submarine after him and a WWII tank.
Itā€™s no coinincidence that the more intense the hate for America the more intense the hate for Lee. A direct correlation always...show me one of these raving socialist libtards and you will know his hatred for America leads him to hate Robert Lee as well. 100% correlated.

That's SOP for Trump. Every time he opens his mouth he sounds like a douche.

To douches like you but not to millions of Americans who see the kept campaign promises and things getting better in every area. Does your butt hurt very much? :)

My butt doesn't hurt at all. Trump is my President, I don't like him, pretty simple. Same story as the eight years prior to Trump and not a single butt hurt then either. In both case, I defend the man when warranted, as I did in this thread. He is not above criticism... and he sounds like a douche when he talks.

You and your ilk, however, can't seem to help but get your snowflake panties in a bunch anytime your Lord and Savior is criticized... get them bunched too tight and you could experience some "butt hurt"...

Forum List

Back