Trump Signs Order Calling For Work Requirements In Welfare Programs

You didn't answer me. Do you hire for the kinds of jobs you're suggesting need to be done? Who do you propose do those jobs? Who pays for it?

Able bodied people receiving government assistance?

Great. So whose paying them? You? The taxpayers? I'm not necessarily opposed to the government hiring more employees to clean things up. But it will cost more than we'll save.

They're already getting paid dimwit.

How much would you suggest as an hourly wage for a government employee whose job is to go out and clean up graffiti and trash from the streets, public parks, etc?

Min wage.

You didn't answer me. Do you hire for the kinds of jobs you're suggesting need to be done? Who do you propose do those jobs? Who pays for it?

Able bodied people receiving government assistance?

Great. So whose paying them? You? The taxpayers? I'm not necessarily opposed to the government hiring more employees to clean things up. But it will cost more than we'll save.

They're already getting paid dimwit.

How much would you suggest as an hourly wage for a government employee whose job is to go out and clean up graffiti and trash from the streets, public parks, etc?

Min wage.

Okay. We'll create government jobs at taxpayer expense for these welfare recipients. The jobs will pay minimum wage, and their duties will be to clean up graffiti and pick up trash in public areas. We'll employ them for 40 hours a week. Of course, this would most specifically apply for recipients who aren't already working.

After receiving their minimum wage 40 hour weekly paycheck these people will still qualify for the same welfare benefits they currently receive. So now, we're still paying out the same amounts in welfare. But the taxpayers are also paying for these new employees. It's a net increase in government spending.

The lesson here is twofold. First, creating government jobs just for the sake of having more jobs is bad government policy. Secondly, addressing poverty and welfare in our country will require realistic policies that actually improve prosperity, as opposed to giving yourself a chubby over a fantasy that accomplishes nothing.

Forum List

Back