Trump Trade Agreement A Grand Slam Home Run

Okay. Who pays the tariffs? Do you think the exporter pays them or the importer pays them?

Right, I created some confusion so I do apologize for that. I know that it is the exporter who pays the tariffs and that us importing more doesn't necessarily yield less tariff income.

I am referring to our tariffs on their goods which would reduce the deficit and help close it. This is precisely what Trump is doing. Now that we have tariffs on imports, exporters will have to pay us for the luxury of existing in our market. Further more this would improve domestic production and give us tax revenue as well.

Trump, nor I am advocating for shutting off imports. It's about getting something out of it to help offset our current deficits. The new Trade agreements do just that.

Our current model isn't taxing these imports which is why it is so common. It's much cheaper to get some third world country with no human rights to make things for free, then import them with near zero additional cost. Those days are over, and now that they are over, we can consider the offsets from those tariffs as making other things, like a border wall, an already amortized cost.

Last edited:
Okay. Who pays the tariffs? Do you think the exporter pays them or the importer pays them?

Right, I created some confusion so I do apologize for that. I know that it is the exporter who pays the tariffs and that us importing more doesn't necessarily yield less tariff income.

I am referring to our tariffs on their goods which would reduce the deficit and help close it. This is precisely what Trump is doing. Now that we have tariffs on imports, exporters will have to pay us for the luxury of existing in our market. Further more this would improve domestic production and give us tax revenue as well.

Trump, nor I am advocating for shutting off imports. It's about getting something out of it to help offset our current deficits. The new Trade agreements do just that.

Our current model isn't taxing these imports which is why it is so common. It's much cheaper to get some third world country with no human rights to make things for free, then import them with near zero additional cost. Those days are over, and now that they are over, we can consider the offsets from those tariffs as making other things, like a border wall, an already amortized cost.
Exporters do not pay tariffs. Tariffs are paid by the importer of goods. You really are lost....

Exporters do not pay tariffs. Tariffs are paid by the importer of goods. You really are lost....

lol.

So If what you say is true, why then is China, a steel exporter, huffing and puffing about our import Tariff on steel?

You're the one confusing export tariffs (quite rare) with import tariffs.

We could argue about who bears the true cost burden, but that's much harder to determine. One would say the buyer, in which case you'd be right, but that's not the case.

The fact remains, that the tariff on imports is a cost imposed on the exporter. Who actuall pays for that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it affects the supply price and puts money into the government's pockets.

https://build.export.gov/main/logistics/eg_main_018130

So if I buy steel from china it costs more. I am PAYING for the steel so it is more that I need to pay, but it costs china, which is why china throws a tantrum.

No…the importer pays the tariff.

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 9.01.48 PM.png

And in almost every case, that additional costs is passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices.

lol.

So If what you say is true, why then is China, a steel exporter, huffing and puffing about our import Tariff on steel?

We could argue about who bears the true cost burden, but that's much harder to determine. One would say the buyer, in which case you'd be right, but that's not the case.

The fact remains, that the tariff on imports is a cost imposed on the exporter. Who actuall pays for that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it affects the supply price and puts money into the government's pockets.
Are they?
China's trade surplus with US grows to new record in August, adding fuel to trade war fire
Looks like China is doing fine.

But yes, the importer pays the tariff. It is a tax on us. And given our increasing deficit, the tariff tax isn't paying down our debt.

lol.

Import tariffs make Chinese steel more expensive. Thus the importer in Shawnee Mission looks for a supplier not located in Shanghai.

lol.

Are they?
China's trade surplus with US grows to new record in August, adding fuel to trade war fire

But yes, the importer pays the tariff. It is a tax on us. And given our increasing deficit, the tariff tax isn't paying down our debt.

That's not my point though, nor is that how the actual economics works. If China steel costs 20% more, I am not necessarily paying that. I can get steel elsewhere. At the end of the day, China is paying it either way. Tariffs cost the exporter. Sure, if I just keep buying that same steel, I am paying it as an added tax, but that's what I said earlier anyways. It's more tax revenue for the government. Still, it's an optional tax since I can go elsewhere.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter if China's trade surplus is growing. We aren't trying to murder them economically. We just don't want to get screwed any more.

As I said, more tariffs == more tax revenue. More tax revenue offsets the cost of the wall so what exactly is funny about this?

Everyone, I repeat everyone tariffs our goods. Why? If it cost them why do it? Surely Canada didn't want to pay 300% more for dairy, but by your logic they did because they fought tooth and nail against the renegotiated nafta terms.

lol.

Are they?

That's not my point though, nor is that how the actual economics works. If China steel costs 20% more, I am not necessarily paying that. I can get steel elsewhere. At the end of the day, China is paying it either way. Tariffs cost the exporter. Sure, if I just keep buying that same steel, I am paying it as an added tax, but that's what I said earlier anyways. It's more tax revenue for the government. Still, it's an optional tax since I can go elsewhere.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter if China's trade surplus is growing. We aren't trying to murder them economically. We just don't want to get screwed any more.

As I said, more tariffs == more tax revenue. More tax revenue offsets the cost of the wall so what exactly is funny about this?
I'm sorry, but you really have no understanding of tariffs. You prove that more with every post. Cut your losses and go study what your are trying to debate.

lol.

Import tariffs make Chinese steel more expensive. Thus the importer in Shawnee Mission looks for a supplier not located in Shanghai.

Bingo! And they end up not paying it. So who really pays for it in the end? China does. That's why China threw a fit over it.

lol.

Are they?

I'm sorry, but you really have no understanding of tariffs. You prove that more with every post. Cut your losses and go study what your are trying to debate.

Dude, get off your high horse.

You claim that Tariffs cost the importer. Why then has everyone been putting tariffs on our goods for decades? You keep dodging that. You also keep dodging the wall funding being paid for through tariffs. Go ahead and explain to me why these countries bitch and moan about not getting to pay more because their tariffs are harming them so badly.

You're following neocon/ democrat economics logic here. The exporters have used tariffs to prevent us from selling into their markets because it is too EXPENSIVE for us to compete with them.

lol.

Are they?

You claim that Tariffs cost the importer. Why then has everyone been putting tariffs on our goods for decades? You keep dodging that. You also keep dodging the wall funding being paid for through tariffs. Go ahead and explain to me why these countries bitch and moan about not getting to pay more because their tariffs are harming them so bad.
It's not a claim, it's a fact. And the fact you don't even know who pays tariffs show's you have no clue. I can't really debate you when you don't even know the basics.

lol.

Bingo! And they end up not paying it. So who really pays for it in the end? China does. That's why China threw a fit over it.

Okay….perhaps you need a basic course in commerce.

If you’re selling me a widget, I am paying you for the widget. You’re not paying me.

The importer in Shawnee Mission, KS is wanting to buy steel from a steel company in Shanghai, China. The importer is paying the steel company; the steel company is not paying the importer.

The tariff that Trump is adding to imports is a tax that the importer is paying; China is not paying a Yuan to anyone.

lol.

Are they?

You claim that Tariffs cost the importer. Why then has everyone been putting tariffs on our goods for decades? You keep dodging that. You also keep dodging the wall funding being paid for through tariffs. Go ahead and explain to me why these countries bitch and moan about not getting to pay more because their tariffs are harming them so bad.
It's not a claim, it's a fact. And the fact you don't even know who pays tariffs show's you have no clue. I can't really debate you when you don't even know the basics.

Bullshit. You claim the buyer pays the tariffs. That's your whole angle and you try to use that to strawman my points. This isn't a vacuum with only one product seller. Tariffs on import goods doesn't get borne by us. It just doesn't.

Canadian dairy farmers fume new US trade deal too generous, could cost about $240 million annually

Why is canada upset that they get to pay less in dairy tariffs?

China slashes steel, textile tariffs as Trump ratchets up pressure

Why did China have to be held over the fire to save themselves money on steel by reducing their tariffs?

lol.

If you’re selling me a widget, I am paying you for the widget. You’re not paying me.

The importer in Shawnee Mission, KS is wanting to buy steel from a steel company in Shanghai, China. The importer is paying the steel company; the steel company is not paying the importer.

The tariff that Trump is adding to imports is a tax that the importer is paying; China is not paying a Yuan to anyone.

Simple, don't buy the widget from me any mroe and you don't pay it. Guess who is still paying for it? Me, by losing out on your business.

Seriously, explain to me, because the other guy won't, why then these countries are so upset about us having Tariffs now? Surely it's good for them right?...right?

Also, why do all of these countries put huge tariffs on our goods? You'd think would want zero tariffs, but alas they don't. They aren't so ignorant as to think that the buyer is forced to purchase a good with a tariff tax on it.

It took Canda over one month of kicking and screaming about losing their huge dairy tariffs to come sit at the table? Why? Do they not care about their dairy farmers? Why are their dairy farmers also upset? YOu'd think these people want to save money. right?

lol.

Are they?

You claim that Tariffs cost the importer.
They do.

Why then has everyone been putting tariffs on our goods for decades?
Because the theory is that it protects their domestic manufacturers and suppliers.

You keep dodging that. You also keep dodging the wall funding being paid for through tariffs.
The tariff is a tax on imports. The tax importers pay will be passed along to consumers. The importer (Ford, GM, Apple, Whirlpool, Papermate, Christian Dior, etc… will be taxed. Mexico isn’t paying a peso more.

Go ahead and explain to me why these countries bitch and moan about not getting to pay more because their tariffs are harming them so badly.
It makes their exports more expensive and they are afraid they will lose marketshare.

You're following neocon/ democrat economics logic here. The exporters have used tariffs to prevent us from selling into their markets because it is too EXPENSIVE for us to compete with them.

That made no sense. The importers have used tariffs to prevent us from selling to their markets.

Are they?

Bullshit. You claim the buyer pays the tariffs. That's your whole angle and you try to use that to strawman my points. This isn't a vacuum with only one product seller. Tariffs on import goods doesn't get borne by us. It just doesn't.

Canadian dairy farmers fume new US trade deal too generous, could cost about $240 million annually

Why did China have to be held over the fire to save themselves money on steel by reducing their tariffs?
Canadian dairy farmers don't want competition obviously. You keep talking nonsense.

Canadian dairy farmers don't want competition obviously. You keep talking nonsense.

Thank you. Finally, you agree with me even though you don't realize it.

Why is it that removing the tariff would increase competition if it costs them and not us? Think about it. Seriously, consider that for just a second what you said. Who is really being screwed here? Surely if we compete because tariffs go down and not up, it means that higher tariffs were bad for us, no?

lol.

Simple, don't buy the widget from me any mroe and you don't pay it. Guess who is still paying for it? Me, by losing out on your business.
If you’re losing out on my business, you’re not sending me a widget. It’s not costing you anything except your internal production costs. It doesn’t help me pay for a wall or anything else.

I didn’t go to Wal Mart today. Wal Mart didn’t incur some sort of costs by my not going there.

I think what you’re substituting for cash is some sort of pain fantasy you are hoping to impose on Mexico.

Seriously, explain to me, because the other guy won't, why then these countries are so upset about us having Tariffs now? Surely it's good for them right?...right?

Also, why do all of these countries put huge tariffs on our goods? You'd think would want zero tariffs, but alas they don't. They aren't so ignorant as to think that the buyer is forced to purchase a good with a tariff tax on it.

Again, they impose tariffs to protect their domestic suppliers.

I get what you guys are trying to do. Intentionally or not
lol.

If you’re losing out on my business, you’re not sending me a widget. It’s not costing you anything except your internal production costs. It doesn’t help me pay for a wall or anything else.

I didn’t go to Wal Mart today. Wal Mart didn’t incur some sort of costs by my not going there.

I think what you’re substituting for cash is some sort of pain fantasy you are hoping to impose on Mexico.

Again, they impose tariffs to protect their domestic suppliers.

You guys have been arguing that Tariffs cost them not us. How is that costing their suppliers?

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but you both are completely missing my point. You're stuck on the notion that because the buyer is the one handing over the cash that they are forced to absorb the cost. This isn't true. If it were true, no country would ever use tariffs as an economic weapon.

The only way the domestic suppliers are protected is if it is cost prohibitive for us suppliers to compete. There is no other reason. That is exactly my point. It costs the exporter not the country importing. Not necessarily.

Sure prices will go up temporarily, but only until the market readjusts.

Also, the tariffs will be absorbed somehow because this isn't some perfect thought experiment. There always will be someone somewhere buying from canada or China even with the tariff, but the notion that the buyers are somehow going to eat that cost no matter what is ridiculous. The entire nature of tariffs is that they are used to divert trade value through economic friction (taxation).

Thank you. Finally, you agree with me even though you don't realize it.

Why is it that removing the tariff would increase competition if it costs them and not us? Think about it. Seriously, consider that for just a second what you said. Who is really being screwed here? Surely if we compete because tariffs go down and not up, it means that higher tariffs were bad for us, no?
Tariffs always screw the consumer.

Forum List

Back