U.S. employees set to be forced to give bosses their Facebook PASSWORDS

Lol. It's not illegal is the government is behind it.

Cispa would make it where any private business, governmental agency, etc legally snoop through your information without a warrant, sell your info, trade your info freely, and just give your infomation away at their whim.

And the even more harmful part?
They would be immune to lawsuits that demand damage compensation, etc. Meaning you can't do shit about what they do with your info, because CISPA made it legal for them to do whatever they want with it and retrieve it however they wish because they don't need to have a warrant or apply to get your info/do searches.

CISPA-Infographic1.png

Uh...before y'all tie yourselves up into knots of outrage, you should know that there is nothing in the CISPA bill as it was passed by the House which would allow, or require, business owners to demand someone's Facebook account data.

Here's the Bill. Read it for yourself:

Bill Text - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

The whole point of this topic is that an amendment which would have made it illegal to do so was voted down. Which means, barring any other law which outlaws the practice, means it is entirely legal for your boss to do so.

Only six states have passed laws making it illegal for an employer to ask for Facebook passwords.

There is no federal law banning this practice.

Until this week, it was perfectly legal for a company or university in California or Illinois to request the Facebook password of a prospective employee.

Now, thanks to state legislation that went into effect at the start of 2013, California and Illinois have joined four other U.S. states, including Delaware, Maryland, Michigan and New Jersey, to make the practice illegal, reported Wired.

The law doesn’t prevent employers from looking at what potential hires or employees publicly post to social-media accounts. And if you happen to live in the other 44 states, it’s up to you to risk losing out on a job by refusing the request.

Can a prospective employer ask for your Facebook password? | SmartPlanet

I looked at the bill the House has passed a year ago.

I don't see the provision that says that a boss can demand your Facebook password.

Maybe it's there. I dunno.

Could someone quote it and link it. The damn bill is kinda long and written by someone using butt-typing evidently. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr3523eh/pdf/BILLS-112hr3523eh.pdf

In any event, why would we comply with such a boss's demand?

Hypothetical boss: "I WANT YOUR FACEBOOK PASSWORD, Ilar!"

Me in reply: "Uhm boss? Go Fuck yourself. I mean that in only the most respectful way, of course."

I don't see the provision that says that a boss can demand your Facebook password.

Could someone quote it and link it. The damn bill is kinda long and written by someone using butt-typing evidently. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr3523eh/pdf/BILLS-112hr3523eh.pdf

Me in reply: "Uhm boss? Go Fuck yourself. I mean that in only the most respectful way, of course."

Unless there is a law prohibiting the practice, it is legal. Got it?

Read that again. Unless there is a law prohibiting the practice, it is legal.

Ilar in reply: "Uhm boss? Go Fuck yourself. I mean that in only the most respectful way, of course."

Hypothetical boss: "You are fired, Ilar!"

Ilar in reply: "WAAAAAAAHHHH!"

Last edited:
Pro-CISPA Companies Out-Lobby Anti-CISPA Groups

Supporters of the controversial cyber-security legislation CISPA have already spent $605 million to lobby for the bill's passage, according to a watchdog group.

That's the amount supporters of the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) spent from 2011 to the fall of 2012, according to non-partisan research group MapLight. While the bill languished last summer, CISPA was re-introduced in nearly the same form this February and resoundingly passed the House of Representatives in a 288-127 vote last week.

According to MapLight's figures, AT&T has already spent $34 million, Comcast nearly $32 million, and Verizon over $27 million as part of its lobbying efforts. These three companies are on the record supporting CISPA. Interest groups supporting CISPA have donated nearly $68 million to members of the House, compared to $4 million by CISPA opponents. Among the key tech companies actively opposing the bill, Mozilla has contributed $2,000, according to MapLight.

money in politics is a good thing?

Just incredible.

Hopefully this gets shitcaned quickly.

So Is this passed?

Ilar in reply: "Uhm boss? Go Fuck yourself. I mean that in only the most respectful way, of course."

You remain a massively ignorant or dishonest hack.

If Americans all acted like Americans, nobody would EVER comply with any request from any such hypothetical "boss."

And thus, it would be impossible to fire folks for the refusal since nobody wants everyone fired, you moron.

Plus which, you are wrong anyway.

There are already plenty of laws on the book which prohibit people from invading your privacy. But even if it's "legal" for an employer to ask for my password, there is no law requiring me to comply. So, by your simple minded hackish logic, it's "legal" to refuse.

And finally, I note that YOU are not able to show us where the CISPA law tells employers that they may demand employees' Facebook passwords.

That's what I figured.

This is a bad bill, and unfortunately Republicans in Congress seem to be the weight that is moving it forward.

Every individual on this board should email the WH to urge the President to veto it. I have contacted my rep and senators that if they voted for the bill to deny Americans the right to protect their FB passwords from their bosses, that their campaigns in the future are now one topic issues.

This is wrong.

If Americans all acted like Americans, nobody would EVER comply with any request from any such hypothetical "boss."

And thus, it would be impossible to fire folks for the refusal since nobody wants everyone fired, you moron.

There are already plenty of laws on the book which prohibit people from invading your privacy. But even if it's "legal" for an employer to ask for my password, there is no law requiring me to comply. So, by your simple minded hackish logic, it's "legal" to refuse.

And finally, I note that YOU are not able to show us where the CISPA law tells employers that they may demand employees' Facebook passwords.

That's what I figured.

Show me in the law where it says your boss can chew bubble gum.

Get it now? If it is not specifically banned, it is entirely legal. Idiot.

Laws and regulations don't tell you what you CAN do. They tell you what you CANNOT do, and what you MUST do.

So either cite the law or court case which bans your boss from demanding your Facebook password, or STFU.

You can be fired for not obeying your boss if he is giving you a legal order.

Last edited:
Lol. It's not illegal is the government is behind it.

Cispa would make it where any private business, governmental agency, etc legally snoop through your information without a warrant, sell your info, trade your info freely, and just give your infomation away at their whim.

And the even more harmful part?
They would be immune to lawsuits that demand damage compensation, etc. Meaning you can't do shit about what they do with your info, because CISPA made it legal for them to do whatever they want with it and retrieve it however they wish because they don't need to have a warrant or apply to get your info/do searches.

So what's new? That's precisely what Facebook does anyway! If you think members of Facebook enjoy privacy, think again.

That's what I figured.

So either cite the law which bans your boss from demanding your Facebook password, or STFU.

Show me the law specifically authorizing you to say stupid shit all the time.

Oh, that's right.

The First Amendment protects your right to say the imbecile things you always spew.

Lucky you for being born in this Land.

No law is needed to tell a boss or to tell you or to tell me that we can chew gum. We do it anyway.

Some laws do prohibit us from ingesting other items. So, yeah: sometimes a specific law is needed to make something illegal.

Yet, other times, a nice general law will have to suffice.

And sometimes, even where a law says "you may not do thus and so," you can do it anyway. This happens, for instance, when the "law" happens to be UnConstitutional.

It is the case, just the same (and try to keep up this time you bleating dipshit), that there are already laws on the books that protect employees (although these laws vary from state to state).

In any event, just because it may not be outlawed for a boss to demand your Facebook Password that does not mean you have to comply. If you get fired over it, then you are a hapless sheep. Most real men (and hearty women) would fight back. YOU, being a stupid pussy, would roll over and just accept it.

Sucks to be you.

Here's another thought which your tragically diminutive mind will not be able to grasp:

until the CISPA law and the proposed Amendment came up, there was no PRIOR law on the books (at least none I ever heard of before) that outlawed a boss from demanding your Facebook password.

Have you seen a whole lot of reports about those evil "boss" people making their demands for it?

:lmao:

Dayum, but you are stupid.

That's what I figured.

So either cite the law which bans your boss from demanding your Facebook password, or STFU.

Show me the law specifically authorizing you to say stupid shit all the time.

Oh, that's right.

The First Amendment protects your right to say the imbecile things you always spew.

Lucky you for being born in this Land.

No law is needed to tell a boss or to tell you or to tell me that we can chew gum. We do it anyway.

Some laws do prohibit us from ingesting other items. So, yeah: sometimes a specific law is needed to make something illegal.

Yet, other times, a nice general law will have to suffice.

And sometimes, even where a law says "you may not do thus and so," you can do it anyway. This happens, for instance, when the "law" happens to be UnConstitutional.

It is the case, just the same (and try to keep up this time you bleating dipshit), that there are already laws on the books that protect employees (although these laws vary from state to state).

In any event, just because it may not be outlawed for a boss to demand your Facebook Password that does not mean you have to comply. If you get fired over it, then you are a hapless sheep. Most real men (and hearty women) would fight back. YOU, being a stupid pussy, would roll over and just accept it.

Sucks to be you.

Translation: You cannot cite a law which bans the practice. As I surmised.

Here's another thought which your tragically diminutive mind will not be able to grasp:

until the CISPA law and the proposed Amendment came up, there was no PRIOR law on the books (at least none I ever heard of before) that outlawed a boss from demanding your Facebook password.

Which is exactly what I have been saying, fool.

Have you seen a whole lot of reports about those evil "boss" people making their demands for it?

:lmao:

Actually, yes, I have. Which is why the amendment was proposed, and why states are outlawing the practice.

Now let me show you how one provides cites for one's claims:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/aclu-employer-demands-facebook-password-124939

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/fa...ebook-senators/story?id=16005565#.UXcM-rVqlJQ

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/job-seekers-getting-asked-facebook-080920368.html

Dayum, but you are stupid.
Irony!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back