U.S. Marine Banned From Wearing Dress Blues for HS Graduation

It is not commonly known that dress blues is a ceremonial uniform and is not standard issue. "Blues" are issued only to those Marines who are assigned to a guard company, embassy duty, sea duty, or some other function where formal attire is sometimes required.

Marines who are "Gung-Ho" and want to wear blues are free to buy them, and some do. I never liked dress blues, which convey the "sea-going bellhop" impression, and one thing that annoys me to this day is seeing an unarmed Marine in dress blues standing frozen at attention outside a plane or helicopter like a mannequin to do nothing but salute a boarding or de-boarding a President -- or standing outside a building to open doors for people. That really pisses me off and I would not have accepted such a demeaning duty assignment regardless of its benefits. I didn't join the Corps to do that.

My favorite uniform was undress green, which is what that kid should have showed up at the prom in.

Exactly. I see claims of "honor" followed by lies.
Fuck that robe and square fucking hat. Fuck the principle and the school board. This is why the uniform of our nation supercedes all that:
Chance Phelps

Fuck everyone but the Marine, huh? Nevermind the traditions and rules, its all about the kid who wants to stand out.

No.
He already stands out...he is a United States Marine. Sadly he might stand out even more if he comes home in a casket.

Hyperbole seems to be all you have on this topic.
The topic is "my opinion."
So...it's your opinion that big government should tell local school boards what they can and cannot do with their dress codes.

I'm not sure I feel that strongly one way or another on this issue, but when he went to school there he wasn't a Marine.

As I said, stop babbling. A First Amendment issue is not at stake here. Go sleep it off you old jarhead!
Lol. Ok salty...we will never see eye-to-eye on this.

That's because you are wrong. I can look at this from the military side and the education side. You have what perspective?
Both.

How many high school graduations have you attended? How long have you been a teacher? How long did you serve as an administrator? When you did you get your Master's degree in educational leadership?
Master's in Ed. 1998 been teaching ever since. Private school. Producing good Americans.

Any teacher worth their salt knows that we don't "produce" good Americans, but rather we help them achieve their potential.

As I said, stop babbling. A First Amendment issue is not at stake here. Go sleep it off you old jarhead!

That's because you are wrong. I can look at this from the military side and the education side. You have what perspective?
Both.

How many high school graduations have you attended? How long have you been a teacher? How long did you serve as an administrator? When you did you get your Master's degree in educational leadership?
Master's in Ed. 1998 been teaching ever since. Private school. Producing good Americans.

Yeah, right! I believe that! Of course, I also believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny!

Take your private school and allow your students to break tradition if you wish. Let other schools do as they wish.

Just another example of what a disgrace our nation has become. Too many years of liberal disrespect for our military.
Marine fresh from boot camp denied high-school graduation walk over dress blues dispute

You mean that everyone should just bow down to the US military no matter what? If the US military had a gun to your head and demanded you give up your guns, would you be bowing down to them then?
Yes
Chance Phelps

Repeatedly posting a source for seemingly no reasons doesn't improve your chances that anyone gives a damn about what that source is. I'm not opening it.

Both.

Yeah, right! I believe that! Of course, I also believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny!

Take your private school and allow your students to break tradition if you wish. Let other schools do as they wish.
Now you question my three college degrees and service in two branches of the military. Well guess what. Fuck you Navy Reserve pussy. Typical liberal.

Just another example of what a disgrace our nation has become. Too many years of liberal disrespect for our military.
Marine fresh from boot camp denied high-school graduation walk over dress blues dispute

You mean that everyone should just bow down to the US military no matter what? If the US military had a gun to your head and demanded you give up your guns, would you be bowing down to them then?
Yes
Chance Phelps

Repeatedly posting a source for seemingly no reasons doesn't improve your chances that anyone gives a damn about what that source is. I'm not opening it.
Because it supports the case as to why this United States Marine on active duty should be allowed to wear his dress blues.

Both.

Just sat with the rest of faculty through another graduation last month.

It is not commonly known that dress blues is a ceremonial uniform and is not standard issue. "Blues" are issued only to those Marines who are assigned to a guard company, embassy duty, sea duty, or some other function where formal attire is sometimes required.

Marines who are "Gung-Ho" and want to wear blues are free to buy them, and some do. I never liked dress blues, which convey the "sea-going bellhop" impression, and one thing that annoys me to this day is seeing an unarmed Marine in dress blues standing frozen at attention outside a plane or helicopter like a mannequin to do nothing but salute a boarding or de-boarding a President -- or standing outside a building to open doors for people. That really pisses me off and I would not have accepted such a demeaning duty assignment regardless of its benefits. I didn't join the Corps to do that.

My favorite uniform was undress green, which is what that kid should have showed up at the prom in.
They are issued now to all Marines. When you say "undress greens" do you mean his gabardines?

All Marines issued them now.
Marines order dress blues for all in service

Both.

Any teacher worth their salt knows that we don't "produce" good Americans, but rather we help them achieve their potential.
That's when America began to go down hill. Kids say pledge everyday. I promote patriotism as well. Should also have school prayer.

I'm not sure I feel that strongly one way or another on this issue, but when he went to school there he wasn't a Marine.
He graduated early and returned a Marine. Thank you for your open mind on the subject.

Fuck that robe and square fucking hat. Fuck the principle and the school board. This is why the uniform of our nation supercedes all that:
Chance Phelps

Fuck everyone but the Marine, huh? Nevermind the traditions and rules, its all about the kid who wants to stand out.

No.
He already stands out...he is a United States Marine. Sadly he might stand out even more if he comes home in a casket.

Hyperbole seems to be all you have on this topic.
The topic is "my opinion."
So...it's your opinion that big government should tell local school boards what they can and cannot do with their dress codes.
Again...no. But exceptions should be made for active duty members who have taken the oath, completed boot camp, and are going to put their life on the line for their country.

Also, as my last comment on this subject...this was an exceptional young man. Graduated early...did not sit on his ass playing video games...during this time he joined USMC and completed his boot camp. That is something that should be rewarded with our respect and admiration. What is a HS cap and gown at this point?

From the Archives: Raising the flag on Iwo Jima

Also, as my last comment on this subject...this was an exceptional young man. Graduated early...did not sit on his ass playing video games...during this time he joined USMC and completed his boot camp. That is something that should be rewarded with our respect and admiration. What is a HS cap and gown at this point?

From the Archives: Raising the flag on Iwo Jima

What is it? It is tradition. It is the unity of a class. And it is what is required.

Yes, he deserves respect and admiration. I have plenty of respect and admiration for this young man, and I don't know him. But it doesn't mean he gets to flaunt the rules and standards of an entire school.

why do conservatives think military service puts one above the rules?
Ok..just one more. Military service members protect this nation, it's people ,and our way of life...including your right to your freedoms found in the Constitution. Now, Google search Arlington National Cemetery . Servicemen and vet's have treated different in this society. Different benefits and perks, GI Bill, hospitalization etc. Sure, this high school had it's graduation dress code. Ok...so we all listen to Paul Blart mall cop when we are shopping. Who gets more respect Paul Blart who defending the Bath and Body Shop...or the Marine serving his nation? Exception should have been made for a brave and outstanding young Marine. Bush92 out.

Both.

Now you question my three college degrees and service in two branches of the military. Well guess what. Fuck you Navy Reserve pussy. Typical liberal.
Cool story, boy.

why do conservatives think military service puts one above the rules?
Ok..just one more. Military service members protect this nation, it's people ,and our way of life...including your right to your freedoms found in the Constitution. Now, Google search Arlington National Cemetery . Servicemen and vet's have treated different in this society. Different benefits and perks, GI Bill, hospitalization etc. Sure, this high school had it's graduation dress code. Ok...so we all listen to Paul Blart mall cop when we are shopping. Who gets more respect Paul Blart who defending the Bath and Body Shop...or the Marine serving his nation? Exception should have been made for a brave and outstanding young Marine. Bush92 out.
So...you written that sternly worded letter to the local school board yet?

Forum List

Back