U.S. Marine Banned From Wearing Dress Blues for HS Graduation

I see both sides of this argument.

Graduation is supposed to be the celebration of your children's educational achievements and to have it over shadowed by one individual receiving unique attention when it is supposed to be a unified group celebration could be frustrating to some parents. Especially parents with children who struggled to get to this point.

I also see the flip side of the coin.

what other side of the coin? alls students wear graduation gowns... unless it's a military institution like west point.
Or if a federal law is passed for public schools that is specific to "active duty."

Where is the interest in getting this passed? You want to change hundreds of years of tradition for what reason?

My Congressman graduated from West Point. I doubt he would see any relevance to your side of the discussion, and he is somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun.
This place is a suburban area. Marines have hundreds of years of tradition. 11November 1775.

Irrelevant. Get with the program and stay on topic.

Graduation is supposed to be the celebration of your children's educational achievements and to have it over shadowed by one individual receiving unique attention when it is supposed to be a unified group celebration could be frustrating to some parents. Especially parents with children who struggled to get to this point.

what other side of the coin? alls students wear graduation gowns... unless it's a military institution like west point.
Or if a federal law is passed for public schools that is specific to "active duty."

Where is the interest in getting this passed? You want to change hundreds of years of tradition for what reason?

My Congressman graduated from West Point. I doubt he would see any relevance to your side of the discussion, and he is somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun.
This place is a suburban area. Marines have hundreds of years of tradition. 11November 1775.

and? :cuckoo:

btw, i think you'll find a lot of city people have served, nutter butter. including my father, my father in law, my grandfathers and all of my uncles and my husband's uncles.

schmuck

Just another example of what a disgrace our nation has become. Too many years of liberal disrespect for our military.
Marine fresh from boot camp denied high-school graduation walk over dress blues dispute

Imagine what would be happening now if the clinton slime would have oozed into the white house. Maybe under Trump, this crap will come to an end.
What makes you think who happens to be the President has any bearing on what some local high school chooses for a commencement dress code? Since Trump is president, why hasn't the dress code magically changed to whatever it is that right wingers want?

Funerals are a state controlled activity. But federal law was passed with regards to men and women in uniform. The policy of the school is wrong...in my opinion. Why can't you see that? Watch the Constitution video through to the end sir. I agree with you and winter on keeping fed out of local affairs. But this young Marine is on active duty. What he has done by graduating early and serving his nation is exceptional. His graduation from Paris Island trumps school policy.

As I said, stop babbling. A First Amendment issue is not at stake here. Go sleep it off you old jarhead!
Lol. Ok salty...we will never see eye-to-eye on this.

That's because you are wrong. I can look at this from the military side and the education side. You have what perspective?
Both.

How many high school graduations have you attended? How long have you been a teacher? How long did you serve as an administrator? When you did you get your Master's degree in educational leadership?
Master's in Ed. 1998 been teaching ever since. Private school. Producing good Americans.

Last edited:
We need a federal law that allows active duty members to wear their class "A" uniform instead of cap and gown.
The "small government" right wants to dictate what local school's dress codes should be? Color me shocked.

How many high schools have plaques honoring the fallen in battle? Thousand across this nation. This kid is on active duty...he might be dead by the end of the year, end of the month, end of the week, or the end of today. Let him have the right to wear his dress blues at his graduation. Wonder how many people on the school board, in Lake County, Indiana...which voted 69% Obama in 2012 and 59% for Hillary...have ever worn the uniform.
Probably quite a few, just like the people in this thread.

and? :cuckoo:

btw, i think you'll find a lot of city people have served, nutter butter. including my father, my father in law, my grandfathers and all of my uncles and my husband's uncles.

schmuck
Great uncles in WWII...6...3 wounded in action. Uncle in Korea...wounded...cousins in Vietnam...1 of two wounded.
We need a federal law that allows active duty members to wear their class "A" uniform instead of cap and gown.
The "small government" right wants to dictate what local school's dress codes should be? Color me shocked.
Color you rainbow.

The boy may never come home. Give him his moment.

high school graduation isn't his moment.

which isn't to say that his service shouldn't be respected. but he shouldn't use his uniform that way. seems a faux wing nut issue.
You're a dumb bitch. He is proud of his decision and wants to show it off. That is human nature and there's nothing wrong with it.

Not everything requires your tinfoil hat deductions

Sounds like the kid is staved for attention and wants to make graduation about him at expense of his classmates.

So much for conservatives wanting a smaller, less intrusive gov't.

If you are going to petition for a federal law, how about pushing for laws for veterans to receive the treatment they need to stop the epidemic of suicides? Or how about pushing for a federal law that requires abandoned buildings be used to house homeless veterans?

This situation is just someone demanding what they want, regardless.

Yes he might. And that will be a sad day. But it does not mean the school has to change its traditions for him.
Law's at federal level have been put into effect in the past.

Watch Full Episodes Online of Constitution USA with Peter Sagal on PBS | Protesting Funerals: The First Amendment Put to the Test

Oh, please! Go somewhere and sleep it off! You are babbling now.
When I was in the Corps we always said the Navy was a department of the Marine Corps. Lol.
Yes he might. And that will be a sad day. But it does not mean the school has to change its traditions for him.

Watch Full Episodes Online of Constitution USA with Peter Sagal on PBS | Protesting Funerals: The First Amendment Put to the Test

When I was in the Corps we always said the Navy was a department of the Marine Corps. Lol.

MARINE stands for "My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment".
Squids are for kids and Popeye was a faggot. Lol.

Spare us the nonsense.

As I said, stop babbling. A First Amendment issue is not at stake here. Go sleep it off you old jarhead!

That's because you are wrong. I can look at this from the military side and the education side. You have what perspective?
Both.

How many high school graduations have you attended? How long have you been a teacher? How long did you serve as an administrator? When you did you get your Master's degree in educational leadership?
Master's in Ed. 1998 been teaching ever since. Private school. Producing good Americans.

if they let you teach there, not so much.

Fuck everyone but the Marine, huh? Nevermind the traditions and rules, its all about the kid who wants to stand out.

No.
He already stands out...he is a United States Marine. Sadly he might stand out even more if he comes home in a casket.

You were a US Marine, huh? Congratulations. You have caused people to think less of the institution. I thought they had higher standards.

Both.

if they let you teach there, not so much.

He's a fucking teacher too? Mother fuck.

Why? This probably applies to a few dozen people each year.

The cap and gown is appropriate for a high school graduation for the purpose of uniformity. If you don't want to be uniform, don't go!

It would be a great recruiting tool, when the military badly needs warm bodies.

How many high schools have plaques honoring the fallen in battle? Thousand across this nation. This kid is on active duty...he might be dead by the end of the year, end of the month, end of the week, or the end of today. Let him have the right to wear his dress blues at his graduation. Wonder how many people on the school board, in Lake County, Indiana...which voted 69% Obama in 2012 and 59% for Hillary...have ever worn the uniform.
Have you written a letter to the local school board? Do you think they care about your opinion unless you live in their district?

I have not seen anyone in this thread express any hatred of the military. Where are you getting that?

Exactly. I see claims of "honor" followed by lies.

Link it.
Chance Phelps
Read the story

The school has protocol for this.

The US Marine Corps has no interest in this matter.

The RW outrage crew looks for reasons to be offended FOR OTHERS every day.
Chance Phelps

What does that have to do with what we are discussing?

More deflection from the fact that you are wrong? It's OK. You are allowed to be wrong ocassionally.
I am right. Going to write my representatives in the Congress on this. Think it's time to get the ball rolling on petition drive for this.
Why aren't you writing the School Board? Oh wait...you're for big government telling school districts what to do....so much for local control.

Forum List

Back