Unbelievable: Ron Paul Slams Civil Rights Act

Could you at least attempt a shred of integrity? Of course no one is going to say there is another government better than the U.S. style of government. As someone essentially pointed out to you your question is intellectually dishonest. You're essentially trying to get someone to say our shit smells great because it does't smell nearly as bad as anyone elses.

You call my country shit?

We have the finest country on earth AND the finest government that has been emulated around the world. The fact that of over a hundred governments around the world, the US is the finest is shit to libertarians

No wonder everyone loves America and hates libertarians

That was a cute emotion-based rant, but you didn't even come close to responding to anything he said.

We probably do have the best gov't in the world, and like I said that's like having the least stinky shit at the sewage plant.

The Constitution is great, but no one in Washington really gives a damn about it anymore.

Our Constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written and is emulated around the world. Our current government fully complies with it's constitutional powers which has enabled the United States to flourish economically, socially and militarily

If you think we are in violation of the Constitution you are welcome to cite case law

We have the finest constitution on earth. The constitution is a framework, the government is the people that oversee that constitution. The government has been perverted and no longer serves the people or the constitution so while we may have the best government on earth that isn't saying we have the best government possible which is what I think we all want.

We have the finest country on earth AND the finest government that has been emulated around the world. The fact that of over a hundred governments around the world, the US is the finest is shit to libertarians

That was a cute emotion-based rant, but you didn't even come close to responding to anything he said.

We probably do have the best gov't in the world, and like I said that's like having the least stinky shit at the sewage plant.

The Constitution is great, but no one in Washington really gives a damn about it anymore.

Our Constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written and is emulated around the world. Our current government fully complies with it's constitutional powers which has enabled the United States to flourish economically, socially and militarily

If you think we are in violation of the Constitution you are welcome to cite case law

President Obama’s Top 10 Constitutional Violations | Hawaii Reporter

Don't worry I'm not claiming it's just your democrats, republicans are just as guilty of wiping their bottoms with the Constitution.

Don't worry I'm not claiming it's just your democrats, republicans are just as guilty of wiping their bottoms with the Constitution.

Your link is just an opinion piece from a rightwing blog. To be unconstitutional it needs to be declared by the courts like our great constitution requires

Your link is just an opinion piece from a rightwing blog. To be unconstitutional it needs to be declared by the courts like our great constitution requires

Like I said, no one in Washington gives a shit about the Constitution, courts included.

The person who wrote that piece has a mile long list of academic credentials, awards and achievements. But he said something against Obama, so I can understand why you'd be so quick to dismiss it.

Like I said, no one in Washington gives a shit about the Constitution, courts included.

The person who wrote that piece has a mile long list of academic credentials, awards and achievements. But he said something against Obama, so I can understand why you'd be so quick to dismiss it.

Poor baby.......everyone is against you poor libertarians. Don't like the government....Change it

Convince millions of americans that we need to scrap everything that makes this country great in favor of an untested, universally derided philosophy like libertarianism and you can start calling the shots

Until that time....nothing our government is doing is unconstitutional

r-RON-PAUL-large570.jpg

By Laura Bassett

WASHINGTON -- Despite recent accusations of racism and homophobia, Republican presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) stuck to his libertarian principles on Sunday, criticizing the historic Civil Rights Act of 1964 because it "undermine[d] the concept of liberty" and "destroyed the principle of private property and private choices."

"If you try to improve relationships by forcing and telling people what they can't do, and you ignore and undermine the principles of liberty, then the government can come into our bedrooms," Paul told Candy Crowley on CNN's "State of the Union." "And that's exactly what has happened. Look at what's happened with the PATRIOT Act. They can come into our houses, our bedrooms our businesses ... And it was started back then."

The Civil Rights Act repealed the notorious Jim Crow laws; forced schools, bathrooms and buses to desegregate; and banned employment discrimination. Although Paul was not around to weigh in on the landmark legislation at the time, he had the chance to cast a symbolic vote against it in 2004, when the House of Representatives took up a resolution "recognizing and honoring the 40th anniversary of congressional passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964." Paul was the only member who voted "no."

More: Ron Paul: Civil Rights Act Of 1964 'Destroyed' Privacy

You're trying to manipulate what he really meant by being opposed to the legislation. I agree that everyone should have the same rights and what not, but I also agree with Paul in that this legislation does not make us all equal, it gives those not covered by it a disadvantage towards those who are. The government shall make no law that does not equally apply to all citizens, the civil rights legislation did just that, and is a violation of our constitution. That being said, do you think that the equal opportunity legislation is constitutional? If you said yes you would be wrong again. The government basically forced companies to hire one race over another through this legislation, is that not discrimination by force of government? Something our constitution is against?
Now, if you cannot understand his simple stand on why he was not in favor of it, then maybe you should do a little more research there bubby.
Our history is not all roses, and this country has it's bad history as well as it's good history as we all know, but no history is worth doing away with the constitution as it is written. Not one citizen should be given any more rights than any other citizen.

The ACLU has done more to defend our constitution than any libertarian ever has

We have the finest constitution on earth. The constitution is a framework, the government is the people that oversee that constitution. The government has been perverted and no longer serves the people or the constitution so while we may have the best government on earth that isn't saying we have the best government possible which is what I think we all want.

Someone else said this:

Saying "We have the finest government in the world" is the same as saying we have the least smelling horse shit in the world.

We don't have the finest government that there ever has been. That government was the US Government before the 1940s.

We might have the finest government in the world right now but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Actually all you had to say was 'no I don't have any intellectual integrity or honesty'. As is clearly displayed in the post above.

Do we have the finest government on earth or not?

A simple yes will suffice

Now your changing things up. You're so dishonest it's laughable. We were first talking about which government is best. Then you changed it to me saying the country is bad (which is different than a countries government). Now we're back to government? So I say yes, of the government's on the planet ours is the best. What exactly is it you've think you've proven?

Poor baby.......everyone is against you poor libertarians. Don't like the government....Change it

Convince millions of americans that we need to scrap everything that makes this country great in favor of an untested, universally derided philosophy like libertarianism and you can start calling the shots

That's what you idiots don't get. Liberterians don't have to change anything. Is it the constitution that is flawed and untested? Because that's all libertarians are saying we should follow. We aren't telling anyone to change anything. We are telling you the country should be governed the way the constitution says it is supposed to be governed. And yes our country is doing things that are unconstitutional. Where in the constitution is the federal government permitted to make a private citizen purchase something from a private company? Do you want me to go on?

Last edited:

Someone else said this:

Saying "We have the finest government in the world" is the same as saying we have the least smelling horse shit in the world.

We don't have the finest government that there ever has been. That government was the US Government before the 1940s.

We might have the finest government in the world right now but there is plenty of room for improvement.

The US Government of 1930s FDR made major strides into turning the US into the greatest country on earth

Cute again, but I have no idea where you're getting the idea that I think the gov't is only screwing libertarians. It's screwing you just as much, maybe more, you just don't realize it and sadly end up supporting it.

I'm a small l libertarian, in other words I have no confidence the Libertarian party would fix gov't. Even if they did it'd be short term and they'd eventually be bought off by special interests/corporations just like the reps and dems are.

That's what you idiots don't get. Liberterians don't have to change anything. Is it the constitution that is flawed and untested? Because that's all libertarians are saying we should follow. We aren't telling anyone to change anything. We are telling you the country should be governed the way the constitution says it is supposed to be governed. And yes our country is doing things that are unconstitutional. Where in the constitution is the federal government permitted to make a private citizen purchase something from a private company? Do you want me to go on?

We do run our government by the constitution and it has been upheld by the courts

Where does that leave you?

But...but.....Glenn Beck says it is unconstitutional

You're trying to manipulate what he really meant by being opposed to the legislation. I agree that everyone should have the same rights and what not, but I also agree with Paul in that this legislation does not make us all equal, it gives those not covered by it a disadvantage towards those who are. The government shall make no law that does not equally apply to all citizens, the civil rights legislation did just that, and is a violation of our constitution. That being said, do you think that the equal opportunity legislation is constitutional? If you said yes you would be wrong again. The government basically forced companies to hire one race over another through this legislation, is that not discrimination by force of government? Something our constitution is against?
Now, if you cannot understand his simple stand on why he was not in favor of it, then maybe you should do a little more research there bubby.
Our history is not all roses, and this country has it's bad history as well as it's good history as we all know, but no history is worth doing away with the constitution as it is written. Not one citizen should be given any more rights than any other citizen.

Exactly. Creating protected 'classes' of people IS state-sponsored discrimination. It's hard to argue against it when that protection is being offered remedially to people who were historically the victims of state-sponsored discrimination. But in the end, what we should strive for is equal protection of the law to everyone. In the wake of the Civil Rights Act, we've done the opposite. And expanded the concept with a growing list of protected groups, and that's what no one wants to address (except Paul, and he gets shouted down for it).

The disturbing thing is, group politics is the fundamental stuff of corporatism. There's a very real connection between overreaching efforts like the Civil Rights Act, and the kinds of thing OWS is protesting against. When you set government up as a granter of special protections and privileges, rather than the maintainer of equal justice, you create the corporatist dynamic - where government is forever 'horse trading' power between organized interests.

We do run our government by the constitution and it has been upheld by the courts

Another lame cop out. What does Glen Beck have to do with anything? If SS was constitutional why did FDR have to threathen to pack the courts to get the new deal passed? You say it's what made the ocuntry great? What is so great about about forcefully taking someone's money to give to someone else. What is so great about forcing american's to buy certain things? What is so great about social programs that enable people's poor choices?

Last edited:

Another lame cop out. What does Glen Beck have to do with anything. If SS was constituonal why did FDR have to threathen to pack the courts to get the new deal passed?

Social Security has withstood constitutional scrutiny for 75 years. Show me anything about our current government that is unconstitutional. Opinion doesn't count libertarian...back it up with a court case

The judges are part of gov't RW, they're just as guilty of being unconstitutional as the other branches.

The whole system is corrupted by money, power and special interests.

The judges are part of gov't RW, they're just as guilty of being unconstitutional as the other branches.

The whole system is corrupted by money, power and special interests.

The ACLU uses those same judges to get laws declared unconstitutional all the time. Why can't the Libertarians?

Racism and libertarianism cannot coexist. Libertarianism is rooted in individualism. Racism is rooted in collectivism, grouping people according to their physical appearance, and holding their collective identity above their individual identity as human beings.

So no. A racist libertarian is no libertarian at all, and Ron Paul is not racist.

Forum List

Back