Universal Healthcare - will not work in the US

only GOP doups believe ACA is a completely finished Health system. It is only the beginning and will be tinkered with for years forever just like every other health system in the modern world is. So irritating arguing with these brainwashed functional morons. So independent god-fearing and red white and blue Americans that they are total idiots for the greedy idiot GOP rich brainwashed. And always have been. I caramba a a r r g g h h h h.....

only GOP doups believe ACA is a completely finished Health system. It is only the beginning and will be tinkered with for years forever just like every other health system in the modern world is..

I don't think so, franco, and I'll tell you why.

Obama passed and signed the ACA by the narrowest margin possible, on a strictly partisan roll call, using savvy parliamentary maneuvers to get it through.

If the program was going to be in need of "tinkering" , it was awfully irresponsible and short sighted to pass a major program this way as he had to know he wasn't going to have this kind of Democrat majority forever. The GOP, by being ignored totally by Obama and told to "sit in the back of the bus", doesn't have any ownership of the ACA and has zero stake in its success. After all, the program is based on the D's telling the R's to "go to perdition"

only GOP doups believe ACA is a completely finished Health system. It is only the beginning and will be tinkered with for years forever just like every other health system in the modern world is..

Obama passed and signed the ACA by the narrowest margin possible, on a strictly partisan roll call, using savvy parliamentary maneuvers to get it through.

If the program was going to be in need of "tinkering" , it was awfully irresponsible and short sighted to pass a major program this way as he had to know he wasn't going to have this kind of Democrat majority forever. The GOP, by being ignored totally by Obama and told to "sit in the back of the bus", doesn't have any ownership of the ACA and has zero stake in its success. After all, the program is based on the D's telling the R's to "go to perdition"
Bologna. The Democrats tried to keep the some Republicans on board but they would not work with Obama and not even to pass a republican Health plan. They are totally full of s***. Obamacare is a fine system and framework to add on to. Fix-It add on to it regulated more. More transparency on costs. Obamacare was passed with 60 votes. They only had to use reconciliation to pass a couple of irrelevant add-ons. meanwhile reconciliation allows the GOP to cut taxes on the rich and services for everyone else, which is all they care about, super duper.

Bologna. The Democrats tried to keep the some Republicans on board but they would not work with Obama and not even to pass a republican Health plan. They are totally full of s***. Obamacare is a fine system and framework to add on to. Fix-It add on to it regulated more. More transparency on costs. Obamacare was passed with 60 votes. They only had to use reconciliation to pass a couple of irrelevant add-ons. meanwhile reconciliation allows the GOP to cut taxes on the rich and services for everyone else, which is all they care about, super duper.

Obama was just unwilling to work with the Republicans on health care at all, who are you kidding, franco? He forced even devout Christian organizations like the Little Sisters of the Poor and Hobby Lobby to include abortion and prophylactics in their plans. What the hell are a group of elderly nuns going to do with boxcars full of rubbers? Obama did it for one reason only- to "stick it to" the Christians.

That's no way to get future cooperation

What the hell is adverse selection? Anyway there is so much waste in our system it is ridiculous.

"Adverse selection" was the entire reason for my 50 year career in health insurance. In a nutshell, it means that, given the option to decline insurance, the healthy people who do not have claims will opt out, and the chronically ill will remain insured, with the result that the insured population ends up being a group of uninsurable people who will bankrupt the plan. My job, as VP of Underwriting, was to decline groups that were going to cost the insurer more money than they would pay in premium. I promise you that if you worked for Mel's Automotive Repair, and the brake mechanic's wife was waiting for a heart transplant, Mel would never find an insurance company to cover them, until that auto mechanic was no longer employed there. Three cheers for private enterprise!
Why was that employee not insured before the wife needed the transplant? That’s like asking to buy auto insurance after the auto accident occurred. It doesn’t make sense.

It happens all the time. I see it here on the board regularly. Pick any one of the following.

1. The employer only pays for employee coverage. The employee does not elect to cover his wife because she is healthy (until the heart attack)
2. Same thing, but the employee does not cover the wife because she had her own coverage with her employer (until she had her heart attack, and lost her job)
3. The employee just married the wife, and for reasons on his own, did not enroll her during the "open enrollment period" during which 30 day period, she would have been guaranteed issue.
4. The wife was employed and had coverage, but with a lifetime maximum of $1,000,000, so she felt that she did not need secondary coverage, but found out that a heart transplant runs around $1,500,000, or even $3,000,000 if it is a heart, lung transplant.

I could list other reasons. The real issue is that at annual renewal, I am going to raise the premium for the company to a level that they can not afford, so that Mel will cancel our coverage, if wife transplant patient is still eligible. At this point, Mel and all of his employees and dependents are SOL, because small employers are required to have health statements for all applicants. There is a company named Medical Information Bureau that collects health information on anyone in the US. Every time you fill out a health questionnaire, you agree to the fine print that all information may be shared with M.I.B. Insures use this information to see if applicants lied on their health statements. If they did, the insurer rescinds coverage and returns premiums. This is health care in America.
I agree the system is broken but insurance is a critical component. You would not drive without car insurance why would you live without health insurance? Doesn’t make sense.
Because you can't afford it because you have a GOP non-system?
You can afford it. You just choose to spend on other crap. For those that truly cannot there is Medicaid.

So just because they are wrong we should be wrong too? I agree our system is broken but I dont want to pay more so that people who make poor lifestyle choices get their dose of meds and treatment.
the main reason you pay too much is because insurance companies gouge everyone along with Hospital doctors drugmakers. What a scam. Everyone else pays about half what we do and they live longer. You are such an independent thinker you are an idiot. Perfect GOP voter LOL
I am Unenrolled. I will Happily vote for Tulsi Gabbard. I was polite but since you became an asshole here it goes. We live a little less because we are the fattest country, we drive the most miles and we have a prevalent drug culture. You need to get your head out of your fat, parasitic ass. You called me a GOP sycophant like 1000x. Does that make your uneducated ass feel better? You need to check yourself because you’re making a fool out of yourself yet again. Tell me, is Tulsi Gabbard a Republican? You waste of space, parasite.
I am happily retired and Tulsi is a dupe to some extent. Nothing has ever been proved against Hillary, it's just garbage propaganda 25 years of it.

If you don't vote Democratic, you are misinformed by the GOP propaganda machine directly or indirectly and so is she. You don't have to be a traitor to be a Russian asset. All you have to do is run against the Democratic candidate. At this point. What a gigantic mess your GOP misinformation have produced. The Big Orange conman for one thing. The obstruction and sabotage of fair capitalism for 30 to 35 years now....
You’re happily an asshole. “My GOP”? Until you learn to read, conversing with you is pointless. HRC is a corrupt loser. The fact that you cannot see that is mind boggling.
You believe a gigantic pile of GOP propaganda super duper. And you don't sound like a Democrat to me LOL you sound like a typical idiot GOP voter.it is 73% Trump where I live and they are lovely people but they have no idea what they are talking about politically. Just like you. LOL
I am not stupid enough to belong to any political party. Only an idiot would not see how corrupt and self serving the Clintons are. Their foundation lost 90% of its funding once she lost. Yet no one cares. LMAO. You’re just a stupid old dolt, Franco. Regardless of political affiliation.

So just because they are wrong we should be wrong too? I agree our system is broken but I dont want to pay more so that people who make poor lifestyle choices get their dose of meds and treatment.
the main reason you pay too much is because insurance companies gouge everyone along with Hospital doctors drugmakers. What a scam. Everyone else pays about half what we do and they live longer. You are such an independent thinker you are an idiot. Perfect GOP voter LOL
I am Unenrolled. I will Happily vote for Tulsi Gabbard. I was polite but since you became an asshole here it goes. We live a little less because we are the fattest country, we drive the most miles and we have a prevalent drug culture. You need to get your head out of your fat, parasitic ass. You called me a GOP sycophant like 1000x. Does that make your uneducated ass feel better? You need to check yourself because you’re making a fool out of yourself yet again. Tell me, is Tulsi Gabbard a Republican? You waste of space, parasite.
I am happily retired and Tulsi is a dupe to some extent. Nothing has ever been proved against Hillary, it's just garbage propaganda 25 years of it.

If you don't vote Democratic, you are misinformed by the GOP propaganda machine directly or indirectly and so is she. You don't have to be a traitor to be a Russian asset. All you have to do is run against the Democratic candidate. At this point. What a gigantic mess your GOP misinformation have produced. The Big Orange conman for one thing. The obstruction and sabotage of fair capitalism for 30 to 35 years now....
You’re happily an asshole. “My GOP”? Until you learn to read, conversing with you is pointless. HRC is a corrupt loser. The fact that you cannot see that is mind boggling.
Your GOP misinformation, brainwashed functional moron. No matter how you got it. I caramba. So you believe in guilty until proven innocent? So you are in the Lynch mob.
IDC if she is guilty or innocent or if she is prosecuted but I do know the Clinton Foundation was 100% pay for play. Franco, you old asshole. I for The 10000000x don’t belong to any party. I equally bash right wing nuts here as I do left wing nuts like you.

1. Too many people are ingrained with private insurance.
  2. Education is not free. Becoming a doctor is expensive, they want to get paid and pay off potential student loans. Working for the Gov't does not do that.
  3. Private pay provides better care. Even in Europe, the wealthy go that route.
  4. Most logical people (on both sides of the aisle) agree with #1 and #2 and #3.
Candidates Who Attacked Warren Over 'Medicare For All' Draw Massive Fundraising Boost
Our system sucks and repubs have nothing to offer. We will likely get universal healthcare eventually. Other countries have shown it can be much cheaper.

Did other countries have ingrained private health plans? No. I don't see it happening until education costs go down significantly.
Yes the insurance industry loves to rob us, Our system is not good, something will change and repubs offer nothing.
/——/ How about Tort Reform?
Malpractice is less than 1% of Health costs. Brainwashed super duper.
Malpractice is not a cost to the consumer you idiot. It’s a cost to the MD. You’re so freaking stupid.

How about punishing those that are fat and smoke and drink and don’t exercise instead of taking my money to pay for their poor choices?

Because I don't think people should be "punished" beyond the punishment already inflicted by their diseases. The causes of diseases like addiction and obesity are complex. I know my insurance offers a discount in premiums if you don't smoke and practice a healthy life style. I have no problem with that. But too many pre-existing conditions aren't in the person's control, and they need healthcare. Punishing them makes no sense - it won't change the condition, it will only place a greater burden on society.

I am more about prevention. If someone with Type 2 diabetes has affordable insurance then he can afford to address his condition in ways that reduce damage further on, prevent serious issues that might keep him from working. If he can't afford insurance, then it is more likely the only medical care he will receive will be in the ER by which time there is a lot more damage to health and it's very expensive.

Healthcare is a very complex issue - I prefer to educate, prevent, and treat at early stages where possible rather than punish. Illness is punishment enough and illness isn't always a result of "bad choices".
I am all for being proactive vs reactive but if you’re a poor driver you pay more for insurance. I dont like exercising and going to the gym but I do because I know how important that is. I should pay less than some lazy fat ass. It works for life insurance why not for health insurance? If you got diabetes as a kid then it sucks and we should treat you but if you got it as an adult due to poor lifestyle choices then it’s on you.

Driving is a lot more black and white. It's easy to pin point an at-fault accident. It isn't so easy to pin point the cause of obesity. People can choose not to drive.

People can't choose not to get sick and when they do - they need and imo have a right to, medical care.
People may choose how they eat and exercise.
So as long as you take good care of yourself you're assured of not getting sick?
You’re less likely correct. No one ever said assured. Are you trying to pick a fight?

What the hell is adverse selection? Anyway there is so much waste in our system it is ridiculous.

"Adverse selection" was the entire reason for my 50 year career in health insurance. In a nutshell, it means that, given the option to decline insurance, the healthy people who do not have claims will opt out, and the chronically ill will remain insured, with the result that the insured population ends up being a group of uninsurable people who will bankrupt the plan. My job, as VP of Underwriting, was to decline groups that were going to cost the insurer more money than they would pay in premium. I promise you that if you worked for Mel's Automotive Repair, and the brake mechanic's wife was waiting for a heart transplant, Mel would never find an insurance company to cover them, until that auto mechanic was no longer employed there. Three cheers for private enterprise!
Why was that employee not insured before the wife needed the transplant? That’s like asking to buy auto insurance after the auto accident occurred. It doesn’t make sense.

It happens all the time. I see it here on the board regularly. Pick any one of the following.

1. The employer only pays for employee coverage. The employee does not elect to cover his wife because she is healthy (until the heart attack)
2. Same thing, but the employee does not cover the wife because she had her own coverage with her employer (until she had her heart attack, and lost her job)
3. The employee just married the wife, and for reasons on his own, did not enroll her during the "open enrollment period" during which 30 day period, she would have been guaranteed issue.
4. The wife was employed and had coverage, but with a lifetime maximum of $1,000,000, so she felt that she did not need secondary coverage, but found out that a heart transplant runs around $1,500,000, or even $3,000,000 if it is a heart, lung transplant.

I could list other reasons. The real issue is that at annual renewal, I am going to raise the premium for the company to a level that they can not afford, so that Mel will cancel our coverage, if wife transplant patient is still eligible. At this point, Mel and all of his employees and dependents are SOL, because small employers are required to have health statements for all applicants. There is a company named Medical Information Bureau that collects health information on anyone in the US. Every time you fill out a health questionnaire, you agree to the fine print that all information may be shared with M.I.B. Insures use this information to see if applicants lied on their health statements. If they did, the insurer rescinds coverage and returns premiums. This is health care in America.
I agree the system is broken but insurance is a critical component. You would not drive without car insurance why would you live without health insurance? Doesn’t make sense.

I know that, and you know that, but a lot of people, especially the young (who think that they are immortal) do not know that, until they have a pre-existing condition, at which point, it is too late. Universal Health insurance on the Medicare model bypasses all that. everyone pays their fair share and everyone is covered. In the meantime, employers no longer have to bear the burden of paying for it, which makes Ford more competitive with Hyundai.
Auto insurance is Mandatory for the young too. So should health insurance be.

I know that, and you know that, but a lot of people, especially the young (who think that they are immortal) do not know that, until they have a pre-existing condition, at which point, it is too late. Universal Health insurance on the Medicare model bypasses all that. everyone pays their fair share and everyone is covered. In the meantime, employers no longer have to bear the burden of paying for it, which makes Ford more competitive with Hyundai.
What the hell are we arguing about? LOL

if we're going to have mandatory health insurance, we might as well go Medicare for all and cut the costs....

And here we have the exact example of what I am talking about in post 383. Another person who 'does not need insurance", at least until the congestive heart failure kicks in.

Since greedy insurance companies can no longer turn you down just because you have heart failure, how is that a "problem"?

Maybe for the greedy insurance billionaire, but certainly not for the people.

You mean that they can not turn you down because of ACA? Well, now, Trump has been dismantling that for years. As for "greedy insurance companies", how do you characterize people who never pay for insurance until they have a half million dollar claim, and then demand that the insurer pays for it?

The real problem is that the ACA makes people (or made, since the Individual Mandate was determined to be illegal and unconstitutional), people buy policy riders for things they don't need.

I'm satisfied with my gender, I don't need coverage for sex changes. If I ever change my mind on that, I have no problem with paying the quack myself. Ditto with pregnancy and child birth. Even if I did have a sex change, I couldn't give birth because I am a man- this is coverage I would not need and should not pay for. On the same point, my mother is 88 and doesn't have any teeth. Why would anyone ask her to buy coverage for pediatric dentistry or prostrate surgery?

I would have no problem with you having no insurance at all, if it wasn't for the fact that by law, a hospital ER must treat you for free if you don't have the money, and then cost shift it to my insurer, who will then raise my rates.

and the dif betwixt paying the insurance cabal, and a gub'mit run by it is what....?

Under universal coverage, you will never be turned down for coverage. Universal care does not have to be the government. I, for example, am covered by a private insurer who covers me for Medicare.

~S~

We are arguing that you’re an asshole who insults anyone who disagrees with you and calls them brainwashed by the GOP. IDGAF if people disagree but don’t insult those who have an opposing POV. Got it? Asshole.

if we're going to have mandatory health insurance, we might as well go Medicare for all and cut the costs....
So you want to push 150mil people off their plans that they like? How about people may keep their plan and those who want to may go to the public option?

Because I don't think people should be "punished" beyond the punishment already inflicted by their diseases. The causes of diseases like addiction and obesity are complex. I know my insurance offers a discount in premiums if you don't smoke and practice a healthy life style. I have no problem with that. But too many pre-existing conditions aren't in the person's control, and they need healthcare. Punishing them makes no sense - it won't change the condition, it will only place a greater burden on society.

I am more about prevention. If someone with Type 2 diabetes has affordable insurance then he can afford to address his condition in ways that reduce damage further on, prevent serious issues that might keep him from working. If he can't afford insurance, then it is more likely the only medical care he will receive will be in the ER by which time there is a lot more damage to health and it's very expensive.

Healthcare is a very complex issue - I prefer to educate, prevent, and treat at early stages where possible rather than punish. Illness is punishment enough and illness isn't always a result of "bad choices".
I am all for being proactive vs reactive but if you’re a poor driver you pay more for insurance. I dont like exercising and going to the gym but I do because I know how important that is. I should pay less than some lazy fat ass. It works for life insurance why not for health insurance? If you got diabetes as a kid then it sucks and we should treat you but if you got it as an adult due to poor lifestyle choices then it’s on you.

Driving is a lot more black and white. It's easy to pin point an at-fault accident. It isn't so easy to pin point the cause of obesity. People can choose not to drive.

People can't choose not to get sick and when they do - they need and imo have a right to, medical care.
So as long as you take good care of yourself you're assured of not getting sick?
You’re less likely correct. No one ever said assured. Are you trying to pick a fight?
There are already perks for not smoking and not being fat and you can add more if you like. First they should also have a doctor who can tell them what the hell is going on and plenty of people do need it.

There are already perks for not smoking and not being fat and you can add more if you like. First they should also have a doctor who can tell them what the hell is going on and plenty of people do need it.
For life insurance, yes, for health insurance no.

So you want to push 150mil people off their plans that they like? How about people may keep their plan and those who want to may go to the public option?

Fine with me, as long as 100% of the people are insured by somebody.

Fine with me, as long as 100% of the people are insured by somebody.
There should be a catastrophic option. Cheap premiums and only covers if it’s a major event. But yes everyone should be covered just not illegals.

I have said that many times in the last couple of days, mandates lose elections and make things unpopular. I also said Obama was not for a mandate originally and was for a public option. That would have worked. As usual Congress screwed it up LOL but not as bad as the Republican Congresses do! Even as passed it was a great start, and then we had seven and a half years pure GOP obstruction. It can easily be fixed. I and Obama do not mind the mandate being repealed. People just hate that LOL.

Forum List

Back