US prison complex

Bobby

Rookie
Oct 20, 2013
The US has the highest rate of imprisonment. 1 in 4 of the world's prisoners are in the US. Instead of imprisoning people for nonviolent crimes we should provide productive alternatives such as rehabilitation to combat the cycle of poverty.

If we did not have so many people who truly believe they have a right to commit so many crimes, we would not have such a large prison population.

The reason for this is because we lock people up for doing a little pot. Pretty much you get caught with a few ounces and you'll get 10 years of life taken away.

I agree Matthew. I can understand that prison can be necessary for violent crimes, but locking people away for something that isn't harmful to society only messes up society more. Their families fall apart when they are locked up.

Do you really think that a quarter of the crimes in the world are committed by Americans?

The prison system locks up black men so that they cannot be productive members of society.

I agree Matthew. I can understand that prison can be necessary for violent crimes, but locking people away for something that isn't harmful to society only messes up society more. Their families fall apart when they are locked up.

Do you really think that a quarter of the crimes in the world are committed by Americans?

On top of this they're very likely to join a gang within prison. For non-violent people sending them to prison is going to make them worse.

Maybe we should fine them or legalize it all together and reg/ticket it like cigs.

We could give them help such as rehab or family counseling!

The private prison corporations and the guards unions lobby for harsher sentences to guarantee privatization profits and union jobs.

Wow: the worst from both ends of the system working together to lock up Americans.

Exactly. It is for personal motivations and is causing so many problems in our country as a result.

Forum List

Back