USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

10380294_10152429679154254_8611201138241299408_n.jpg

How'd you get 79? I did it like 7 + 7 = 14
14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

So what did I do wrong? :lol:
You forgot to add for markup and handling.

Okay boys and girls. Here is today's math quiz--you're supposed to do it in your head first and then check yourself with pencil and paper.

14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

Unless you do the multiplication and division first (isn't that a general rule?) in which case you get 50.

7 + (7/7) + (7x7) - 7
7 + 1 + 49 - 7

I got 56 first, then remembered the whole order of operation thing. :D

14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

I think our brains inadvertently multiply instead of add on some of these mental exercises. But then our algebra geniuses sometimes see these problems entirely differently than I do. See Montrovant's post. :)

14 divided by 7 = 2
2 + 7 = 9
9 x 7 = 63
63 - 7 = 56 . . .

Unless you do the multiplication and division first (isn't that a general rule?) in which case you get 50.

7 + (7/7) + (7x7) - 7
7 + 1 + 49 - 7

I got 56 first, then remembered the whole order of operation thing. :D

Oh .. . :razz: The math gets me every time!

If you google the question--which is hard to do since there is no symbol for 'divide' on our keyboards--you see that the question has been asked many many times on the internet. And the answers are all over the map.

If you google the question--which is hard to do since there is no symbol for 'divide' on our keyboards--you see that the question has been asked many many times on the internet. And the answers are all over the map.

As I understand it the PEMDAS or BOMDAS order of operation is standard, but I certainly am no expert.

As I understand it the PEMDAS or BOMDAS order of operation is standard, but I certainly am no expert.

More of an expert than me since I don't even know what those words mean. :D

It was so nice out today, like 45 degrees at least in the sun. I dragged my grill out of the snow (which took a lot of work - it was frozen after being buried in snow for so long). I cleaned it all up yesterday and reseasoned it, and I made hamburgers on the grill. :)
I'm hurt that you didn't invite me over for burgers.

:lol: Don't worry, Alan, there will be plenty more! :wink_2:
Many more that will occur, or many more that you will fail to invite me to?

Many more that will occur, of course. :) I was saving the good stuff for you . . . steak! Lol.
I prefer tenderloin/filet mignon but find ribeye's acceptable also.

I love Italian food, but I hate olives. Is that weird? :D I just pick the olives out if something comes with olives, and when I make Italian dishes at home, I leave out the olives. Olives . . . yuck! :cheeky-smiley-018:

I had a cat once that loved olives though. :lol:
I like the both. I always keep the small cans of sliced black olives on hand for pizza and other things, and a big jar of green olives to snack on. I'll just pop that out of the fridge and eat a dozen or so for a snack. Love olives... they're really good for you too.
Green olives are best dropped into a martini.
I mean a real martini, not a vodka martini.

It was so nice out today, like 45 degrees at least in the sun. I dragged my grill out of the snow (which took a lot of work - it was frozen after being buried in snow for so long). I cleaned it all up yesterday and reseasoned it, and I made hamburgers on the grill. :)
I'm hurt that you didn't invite me over for burgers.

:lol: Don't worry, Alan, there will be plenty more! :wink_2:
Many more that will occur, or many more that you will fail to invite me to?

Many more that will occur, of course. :) I was saving the good stuff for you . . . steak! Lol.
I prefer tenderloin/filet mignon but find ribeye's acceptable also.

Porterhouse would be good. :D You can bring the wine!

Two parts sweet vermouth. One part sweet gin. And some bitters. With a twist.
I thought so. I was inspired by a biography of WC Fields back in my college days and it was his tonic of choice. I bought the ingredients and drank two (that I know of) probably didn't do it right because a lot of booze went missing. Way more than two should have called for, and I was alone. I've never been so sick, I think I almost died.

And the amounts of food one eats. You just can't eat more calories than you expend. To do so, puts too much weight on one and high on the risk factors for heart disease, diabetes, strokes and cancer.
Work has a health incentive, if I take a health assesment questionaire and get blood work done, I get $750 deposited into my HSA. Every year, the health assesment tells me I need to eat more fruits and vegetables. For my age they suggest 4.5 to 5 cups of fruit and veggies a day. Well shit, I only consume about 6 cups a day in total food (not counting water and booze). That doesn't leave much room for grains, meats, dairy, legumes and nuts. I'd probably be fat if I ate the amount of reccommended servings of food. Instead I eat light and maintain a BMI hovering around 20.

Forum List

Back