USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oh and as for that RV Mrs. BBD is wanting? Not this girl. There was a day when I enjoyed camping and being out under the stars and all that. But these days I think about all the work in getting ready to go--doing the cooking and cleaning and all that on the road under less-than-optimal conditions--and then the repacking to come home and the time and energy to unpack, clean everything up, and put it away when we get home. . . give me a Super 8 with a great continental breakfast any day.

Anyhow everybody have a great Friday and a good start to a great weekend. :)

My daughter and her husband are really into camping and I feel the same way. Just get me a hotel when we go on vacation. I'll pack all the clothes and make arrangements but camping is not my thing.

When I was kids we used to take regular trips to Mississippi (from PA, which took three days each way). One year Dad decided he was going to save money on motels by getting a tent, sleeping bags and a Rand McNally Campground Guide to find places to stop.

Mom was not a big fan of the idea but she went along.

The first day we tried that (I was 11), we got a flat tire on the PA Turnpike and for whatever reason that took a long time to fix (we did have a loaded station wagon) -- consequently we only got as far as northern Virginia and a godforsakenly rustic campground called Bull Run. No facilities whatsoever, just open ground, no place to eat, nothing to see, not even shade trees. And we woke up covered with frost. Not an auspicious start, and by now Mom was really not a fan.

The second night though, we got to Hungry Mother State Park in NC, which was everything Bull Run was not-- beautiful scenery, plenty of facilities, picnic tables, even a cave to explore with a guide. The polar opposite of the first night.

We continued to camp on those trips ever after. It was kinda cool.

Last edited:
Oh and as for that RV Mrs. BBD is wanting? Not this girl. There was a day when I enjoyed camping and being out under the stars and all that. But these days I think about all the work in getting ready to go--doing the cooking and cleaning and all that on the road under less-than-optimal conditions--and then the repacking to come home and the time and energy to unpack, clean everything up, and put it away when we get home. . . give me a Super 8 with a great continental breakfast any day.

My daughter and her husband are really into camping and I feel the same way. Just get me a hotel when we go on vacation. I'll pack all the clothes and make arrangements but camping is not my thing.

When I was kids we used to take regular trips to Mississippi (from PA, which took three days each way). One year Dad decided he was going to save money on motels by getting a tent, sleeping bags and a Rand McNally Campground Guide to find places to stop.

Mom was not a big fan of the idea but she went along.

The first day we tried that (I was 11), we got a flat tire on the PA Turnpike and for whatever reason that took a long time to fix (we did have a loaded station wagon) -- consequently we only got as far as northern Virginia and a godforsakenly rustic campground called Bull Run. No facilities whatsoever, just open ground, no place to eat, nothing to see, not even shade trees. And we woke up covered with frost. Not an auspicious start, and by now Mom was really not a fan.

The second night though, we got to Hungry Mother State Park in NC, which was everything Bull Run was not-- beautiful scenery, plenty of facilities, picnic tables, even a cave to explore with a guide. The polar opposite of the first night.

We continued to camp on those trips ever after. It was kinda cool.

My daughter has a camper and it's really nice, all of the modern conveniences. Still it's a lot of work packing the thing up and taking it all apart.

I take care of my home really well, I don't want an additional whole camper along with it. I know hotels are ify too, you have give and take with everything.

th

I've never been camping. I just don't think I would enjoy it

The actual origin of Friday the 13th as unlucky goes back 707 years:

At dawn on Friday, October the 13th, 1307 – which is where the superstition originates – the King’s men raided all the Templar houses and preceptories in France and arrested more than 600 Templars, including the Order’s Grand Master, Jacques de Molay. Arrests follow in Aragon, England, Ireland, Portugal and Germany. Under threat and torture, most of the captured men accept the charges in order to stay alive, but many don’t. In May, 1310, fifty-four Templars are burnt alive in Paris, more throughout France. The pope abolishes the order in March of 1312, and hands over their possessions to the Order of the Hospitallers. The final act takes place at the Ile de la Cite in Paris, in March, 1314: de Molay and the Preceptor of Normandy, Geoffroi de Charnay, are put to the stake.​
(more here)

Presumably our night watchman TK somehow escaped?
[MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION] :D

At dawn on Friday, October the 13th, 1307 – which is where the superstition originates – the King’s men raided all the Templar houses and preceptories in France and arrested more than 600 Templars, including the Order’s Grand Master, Jacques de Molay. Arrests follow in Aragon, England, Ireland, Portugal and Germany. Under threat and torture, most of the captured men accept the charges in order to stay alive, but many don’t. In May, 1310, fifty-four Templars are burnt alive in Paris, more throughout France. The pope abolishes the order in March of 1312, and hands over their possessions to the Order of the Hospitallers. The final act takes place at the Ile de la Cite in Paris, in March, 1314: de Molay and the Preceptor of Normandy, Geoffroi de Charnay, are put to the stake.​
(more here)

Does that mean that being a member of DeMolay means that you die?!?!?!?

(more here)

Only on Friday 13th when there is a full moon. But it's okay. We've suspended all such memberships today.

(more here)

Only on Friday 13th when there is a full moon. But it's okay. We've suspended all such memberships today.

On Friday the 13th, when it's a full moon, the stars are in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars.....

...oh, and women aren't allowed to go shopping.

:eek:

Hombre and my first camping vacation many years ago. We left our kids (pre-schoolers) with friends and headed out of the Texas Panhandle to Red River NM. We didn't have a camping trailer so planned to sleep in our large station wagon. We found a camp ground about sundown, unloaded, was setting up our little bar-b-que grill to prepare a wonderful first dinner when the park ranger showed up to advise that the fire index was too high and no fires were allowed--not even charcoal in a grill. So we ate cold pork n beans and went to bed.

The next morning we had a cold breakfast and started trout fishing. Didn't even get a nibble. Somebody advised we were using the wrong gear.

Go to store to get right gear spending a princely sum. Returned to river. No better luck.

Hombre notices a little fishing lake on far side of river and walks across log to get to it. Motions me to "come on Honey". I make it half way across when into the water I go, chest deep just as I notice the icecicles hanging from the foliage at the river's edge. You can't imagine how cold water is at 8500 ft in April in New Mexico.

Hombre fishes me out of the river, on his side, and then goes to the station wagon to get me dry clothes. I do manage to get changed before hypothermia sets in but I refuse to go back across the log so he drives several miles to a bridge to cross and come back for me. We decide to move on at that point and headed west to a little picnic area where we had a cold lunch. At which point Hombre realizes he left several items including our lantern and dish pan back at the fishing lake when he had pulled them out to get to the clothes.

We opted not to return for them.

We were several miles further west when I realized I didn't have my purse. Unwilling to leave that we returned to the picnic area and just as we were driving in I found the purse I had inadvertently kicked under the car seat. Hombre was not pleased.

We went on to Taos and had Mexican food for an early dinner that gave Hombre a raging stomach ache all the way south to Santa Fe where we arrived at my mother's house. She was furious that we were a day early so she wasn't ready for us.

That night watching TV, they announced that due to extreme fire danger, ALL forest areas in New Mexico were closed to the public.

We went south then to Elephant Butte lake were there are no forests but there was good fishing. The fish were biting so aggressively we had to hide behind the station wagon to bait our hooks. The trip went much better from that point.

Last edited:

(more here)

@TemplarKormac :D

I was beckoned into a phone booth by individuals named 'Bill' and 'Ted' to the 1980s, for a history project. After I got sent back to my time again, I capitulated for my life and chose to live a life of solitude for the next 700 years. Over the centuries, I discovered I was of the same breed as Connor McLeod. He keeps saying 'there must be only one,' but now there are two. I must say, I have aged well for being almost three quarters of a millennium old.

Last edited:

(more here)

@TemplarKormac :D

I was beckoned into a phone booth by individuals named 'Bill' and 'Ted' to the 1980s, for a history project. After I got sent back to my time again, I capitulated for my life and chose to live a life of solitude for the next 700 years. Over the centuries, I discovered I was of the same breed as Connor McLeod. He keeps saying there must be only one, but now there are two. I must say, I have aged well for being almost three quarters of a millennium old.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition, I chose to resume my duties here as the nightwatchman, as I did with the Templar Order. I am the only one left alive!

Did you pass the stress-test?

And the tolerance training?

Meet all EPA standards?

:lol:

Where I came from there was no such thing. The EPA better not pester me, or I'll sick the Dead Men of Dunharrow on them. (I'll rep the first person who gets the movie reference).

On a fatherly note, my little 7 year old came to papa's for the weekend with a note from school reminding that Monday is a big sports fest-and-competition day, the 1st graders are to appear in their gym clothing and wil be bussed to another elementary, where there will be a sports competition between 10 1st grade classes, it will take about 2 hours or so.

So, we were out this evening, practicing the 50 meter sprint, deep-knee bends, running and jumping, etc., in a local field.

She was as happy as a lark. And fast, too!!!

I even got her to try to see if she can do a chin-up. She can't, but she's getting close.

And then she wanted to do a push-up contest with papa out in the big field. That was cute.

So, she did her 3 push-ups, I got on the ground and started. Around 18, I felt a small creature climb on my back and yell "Hüüü Pferdchen, hüüüü", which is the German equivalent of "giddyapp, giddyapp....",

I made it to 21 and then kind of died. That kid has really put the weight on...

:lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back