USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well it didn't take me long to decide against Zorin OS. It has a Look Changer feature to modify the look of the desktop. It starts in a Win7 look, can change to XP or GNOME. I decided to give the XP look a try and didn't like it. When I tried to change back to Win7, nothing happened. I tried to change to GNOME and got overlapping panes on the bottom of the desktop. Basically it got stuck in XP look.

So that's all been deleted and now I'm deciding whether to try Mint or Ubuntu next. :p
I'm quite sure you would like Kubuntu more than Ubuntu. Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop rather than Gnome. They are both the same other than that.

I probably should point out that somewhere there is an obscure USMB rule about posting in foreign languages without a translation? But so many of you seem to understand this language that I have decided not to complain about it. :)

Okay, am I weird because I think this is beautiful?

11898656_460307780804263_7418047780746494743_n.jpg

Got my CPAP yesterday, put it on this morning when I finally went to bed, woke up about 2 hours later with a headache and took it off...... Looks like I'm going to have to work up to using it all night.

Not at all uncommon.
The "class" I attended when I picked it up had 6 other guys in it, three were getting the new replacements, all said it took some time to fully adjust but once they did they couldn't sleep without it.

Another stupid accident . . . a woman in my area had dropped her wallet on the train tracks and went back to get it and was hit and killed by a train. I cannot even imagine being that dumb. Seriously. I would not get anywhere close to where moving trains are. I used to go for a walk in an area right next to the train tracks, and when those train come by, they are also very intimidating. They are loud and so fast and big. Scary stuff!

Well it didn't take me long to decide against Zorin OS. It has a Look Changer feature to modify the look of the desktop. It starts in a Win7 look, can change to XP or GNOME. I decided to give the XP look a try and didn't like it. When I tried to change back to Win7, nothing happened. I tried to change to GNOME and got overlapping panes on the bottom of the desktop. Basically it got stuck in XP look.

So that's all been deleted and now I'm deciding whether to try Mint or Ubuntu next. :p
I'm quite sure you would like Kubuntu more than Ubuntu. Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop rather than Gnome. They are both the same other than that.

I probably should point out that somewhere there is an obscure USMB rule about posting in foreign languages without a translation? But so many of you seem to understand this language that I have decided not to complain about it. :)
Is your IPS blocked up? Try more fibre......... :eusa_whistle:

Thankfully, I've never cut myself with any power tools. :D I don't really use any power tools, so that probably helps too. Lol. I'm kind of intimidated by things like chippers, to be honest. :lol:
I took two finger tips off, one with a circular saw and one with a butcher knife. Both times I allowed myself to be distracted.

Thankfully, I've never cut myself with any power tools. :D I don't really use any power tools, so that probably helps too. Lol. I'm kind of intimidated by things like chippers, to be honest. :lol:
I took two finger tips off, one with a circular saw and one with a butcher knife. Both times I allowed myself to be distracted.

I've certainly cut and burned myself enough times cooking! :lol: Yup, I end up cutting and burning myself when I am careless or in a hurry.

Another stupid accident . . . a woman in my area had dropped her wallet on the train tracks and went back to get it and was hit and killed by a train. I cannot even imagine being that dumb. Seriously. I would not get anywhere close to where moving trains are. I used to go for a walk in an area right next to the train tracks, and when those train come by, they are also very intimidating. They are loud and so fast and big. Scary stuff!

Well I agree that trying to grab a wallet off the track with the train obviously inches away is pretty dumb. But condolences to her family and friends.

I am one of those weird people--I've been using that word a lot to describe myself lately haven't I?--who loves trains--especially coal burners--and who will drive blocks out of my way to be first in line at a crossing when a train comes by. As a child, one family we were friends with rented an old depot building for a house. Their 'front porch' was the old train platform close enough to the tracks to load stuff off the platform into the box cars or whatever. I used to love to be out there when the fast freights came by, but the illusion of being carried along with the train was so powerful that I would lie flat on the platform and hold on for dear life to avoid 'being carried away.'

Even saying that, all the train wrecks around the country in recent years has made me squeamish about riding trains as transportation. Usually safe I know, but being trapped inside when you are injured or the train is on fire is a recurring nightmare of mine. But I don't mind the slower Railrunner that runs as a commuter train between Albuquerque and Santa Fe and I'll ride a coal burner every chance I get.

Last edited:

Well I agree that trying to grab a wallet off the track with the train obviously inches away is pretty dumb. But condolences to her family and friends.

I am one of those weird people--I've been using that word a lot to describe myself lately haven't I?--who loves trains--especially coal burners--and who will drive blocks out of my way to be first in line at a crossing when a train comes by. As a child, one family we were friends with rented an old depot building for a house. Their 'front porch' was the old train platform close enough to the tracks to load stuff off the platform into the box cars or whatever. I used to love to be out there when the fast freights came by, but the illusion of being carried along with the train was so powerful that I would like flat on the platform and hold on for dear life to avoid 'being carried away.'

Even saying that, all the train wrecks around the country in recent years has made me squeamish about riding trains as transportation. Usually safe I know, but being trapped inside when you are injured or the train is on fire is a recurring nightmare of mine.

Yeah, having a healthy respect for such things is . . . healthy. :D

I am one of those weird people--I've been using that word a lot to describe myself lately haven't I?--who loves trains--especially coal burners--and who will drive blocks out of my way to be first in line at a crossing when a train comes by. As a child, one family we were friends with rented an old depot building for a house. Their 'front porch' was the old train platform close enough to the tracks to load stuff off the platform into the box cars or whatever. I used to love to be out there when the fast freights came by, but the illusion of being carried along with the train was so powerful that I would like flat on the platform and hold on for dear life to avoid 'being carried away.'

Even saying that, all the train wrecks around the country in recent years has made me squeamish about riding trains as transportation. Usually safe I know, but being trapped inside when you are injured or the train is on fire is a recurring nightmare of mine.

She could have at least asked someone who works there to retrieve it for her. At least they would know when it is safe to go onto the tracks.

I don't know. I wouldn't go onto the train tracks at a busy train station like that. No way.

BTW, I thought that accident happened locally because it was on my local news this morning, but it was in CT.

I've only ever been on the train once when I was a small child, so I don't remember it. I have a healthy fear of getting too close to trains though. :D

She could have at least asked someone who works there to retrieve it for her. At least they would know when it is safe to go onto the tracks.

That's the problem with most accidents, however. We don't think to ask somebody for help or instructions before we've already screwed up.

That's the problem with most accidents, however. We don't think to ask somebody for help or instructions before we've already screwed up.

Just a tragic waste, over a wallet. SMH.

Forum List

Back