USMB Coffee Shop IV

Couldn't sleep, finally went out around 3:30 and woke up an hour ago. It's breeze, cool and rainy, perfect sleeping weather....... :D
Me too. Dozed off about 2 hours ago and now I am wide awake. I hope I can fall asleep again at midnight. Otherwise, its going to be a lonnnnnnnng night of games on the pc. IF the power stays on with this wind. Our area is known for blackouts a the mere wisp of one and it is blowing like crazy right now.
I went to bed last night around 12:30 and just woke up. Coffee's almost done and the cats have had breakfast.
Three days ago I finally forced myself to pull the musket kit out of the closet and get the tools out to work on it, still tackling it a little bit at a time but at least it's helping to slowly pull me out of my funk.
The wife and I went for a drive on Friday, she would see a painting or something she likes and comment the I could do that, my usual response over the last decade has been extremely negative plus it would piss me off. I realized Friday that I felt no passion for anything, no motivation or desire to do even the things I used to love to do and that the only thing keeping me sane is doing the house chores that at least give me a small measure of accomplishment.

You are describing the classic symptoms of reactive depression. Been there, done that. You have been going through a very difficult time for some years now and you probably have not really talked out your frustrations, fears, disappointments, and anger with anybody. That is a tremendous amount of stress heaped on anybody--even the good things pile on the stress when they involve major life changes. See if the VA would pay for some counseling sessions or you may find what resources are available to you here: Veterans Crisis Line | Hotline, Online Chat & Text

Your wife is probably not your best lifeline for the kind of frank discussion you need to have with somebody competent. Talking it out may not be a cureall, but it sure won't hurt and it usually does help.
Actually the wife is my best lifeline and that's what I did on Friday, sit down and let her know all my fears and frustrations, it's not the first time. I go through these periods of depression from time to time but usually get over it fairly quickly, I just chalk it up to being a Gemini........ :D
The wife went through a major clinical depression after we were married (and she disowned her abusive family). We spent a couple of thousand dollars on shrinks too know avail, she and I working it out together brought her out of her depression. We're aware of these events and eventually work them out on our own. Besides, the VA approach is generally a group approach, I don't do well in those situations, I close up even more not to mention I hate "cheer leaders", They drive me nuts. I already know I can "do it" if and when I decide to "do it".

Couldn't sleep, finally went out around 3:30 and woke up an hour ago. It's breeze, cool and rainy, perfect sleeping weather....... :D
Me too. Dozed off about 2 hours ago and now I am wide awake. I hope I can fall asleep again at midnight. Otherwise, its going to be a lonnnnnnnng night of games on the pc. IF the power stays on with this wind. Our area is known for blackouts a the mere wisp of one and it is blowing like crazy right now.
I went to bed last night around 12:30 and just woke up. Coffee's almost done and the cats have had breakfast.
Three days ago I finally forced myself to pull the musket kit out of the closet and get the tools out to work on it, still tackling it a little bit at a time but at least it's helping to slowly pull me out of my funk.
The wife and I went for a drive on Friday, she would see a painting or something she likes and comment the I could do that, my usual response over the last decade has been extremely negative plus it would piss me off. I realized Friday that I felt no passion for anything, no motivation or desire to do even the things I used to love to do and that the only thing keeping me sane is doing the house chores that at least give me a small measure of accomplishment.

You are describing the classic symptoms of reactive depression. Been there, done that. You have been going through a very difficult time for some years now and you probably have not really talked out your frustrations, fears, disappointments, and anger with anybody. That is a tremendous amount of stress heaped on anybody--even the good things pile on the stress when they involve major life changes. See if the VA would pay for some counseling sessions or you may find what resources are available to you here: Veterans Crisis Line | Hotline, Online Chat & Text

Your wife is probably not your best lifeline for the kind of frank discussion you need to have with somebody competent. Talking it out may not be a cureall, but it sure won't hurt and it usually does help.
Actually the wife is my best lifeline and that's what I did on Friday, sit down and let her know all my fears and frustrations, it's not the first time. I go through these periods of depression from time to time but usually get over it fairly quickly, I just chalk it up to being a Gemini........ :D
The wife went through a major clinical depression after we were married (and she disowned her abusive family). We spent a couple of thousand dollars on shrinks too know avail, she and I working it out together brought her out of her depression. We're aware of these events and eventually work them out on our own. Besides, the VA approach is generally a group approach, I don't do well in those situations, I close up even more not to mention I hate "cheer leaders", They drive me nuts. I already know I can "do it" if and when I decide to "do it".

I understand what you are saying and of course you know you a whole bunch better than I know you. I am just speaking from experience. Even though our loved one offers a willing and empathetic ear and lets us talk it out, we rarely do that as completely with a loved one mostly because we 'pull our punches'. Our intent is not to upset or worry our loved one and we therefore don't always completely say what is on our mind for fear that it will. But I also am one that believes most people usually do choose the path best for them and I join with Gracie in sending those positive vibes and wish you every success.

I understand what you are saying and of course you know you a whole bunch better than I know you. I am just speaking from experience. Even though our loved one offers a willing and empathetic ear and lets us talk it out, we rarely do that as completely with a loved one mostly because we 'pull our punches'. Our intent is not to upset or worry our loved one and we therefore don't always completely say what is on our mind for fear that it will. But I also am one that believes most people usually do choose the path best for them and I join with Gracie in sending those positive vibes and wish you every success.
Thank you but don't worry, this too shall pass. Right now the HVAC guys are here stoking up the furnaces and closing off the swamp coolers. Outside the wind is constant at about 25mph with 40mph gusts and a dust storm just moved into the area.
When they're done I'm considering a nice nap.......

A nice nap sounds doable, lol. Windy here too. REALLY windy.
I think I will pass on my nap though. Had a doozy of a bad dream and still trying to get over it. With it stuck in my head even awake, I don't want to go back into it again.

Well the winds have picked up, their claiming 51mph gust but I think it's closer to 60mph gusts. On one of the fly overs on I 10 here in El Paso a semi was blown over on it's side, there's a shingle (I think from the neighbor's house) in my back yard and in the side yard one of the palm trees has snapped in half.

11013459_1032302653479095_8265826428515411819_n.jpg

It finally got cold enough in England today for me to put on the heating for the first time this year.
Really? We've been dipping to single digits now for a few weeks. Colder 'n a witches tit here. But, hell, it's Winter in Alaska...would we really expect anything less? Stay warm!

I did not need any heating today, its back to mild temperatures. I am sitting typing in nothing but a T shirt at 4AM and I am not cold.
While I don't deny envying those who suffer milder winter temperatures, the compensation for living here far outweighs any discomfort. After all, I can dress for warmth. I managed to find some really nice quilted fleece-lined, heavy duty work pants for a reasonable price. They're great! The aurora has been on fine display almost every clear night since it started getting dark this Fall.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's sore hand,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern with a special RIP for Bert.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

1280px-Albert_Bierstadt_-_Mountain_House.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
I guess you can take the new job off for now, Foxy. I was informed that they won't be hiring before the end of Spring semester, which means I'll be working graves at the airport at least until next Fall, if I get hired for the university gig.

But you still want the job don't you? So let's leave it there until the matter is settled.
OK, I defer to your superior wisdom. And...thank you for your thoughts and consideration.

It's been brutally cold here. The temps fall to single-digit, minus values at night and warmed up to a whopping 18+ by late afternoon. The goats are piling up together in one or two piles but seem no worse for the wear. They have their winter fluff and look plump and healthy. Well, except for the oldest doe, she's looking a bit skinny. Even though she gets lots of extra feed, I suspect she'll make it through the winter to die when Spring comes around again.
Here's hoping all my CS friends are doing well, staying warm and dry. Prost!

I just watched a flick, "Maleficent". A different twist to an old story. And the added bonus of having Angelina Jolie in a starring role! She's an extremely attractive woman who actually puts her money where her mouth is when it comes to trying to make the world better.
One of my new favorite movies, seen it a couple of times already. :thup:

It has been snowing, mixed with occasional hail, all day here--accumulations up to five inches in the higher elevations of the city--no doubt more in the more mountainous areas. Meanwhile our friends and family in the Texas Panhandle have been dodging tornadoes--wicked lightning in the Amarillo area--and as Ringel said, the bootheel where he lives will probably see extreme winds, gusting to hurricane force. But it is winter in Alaska which is a good thing and hopefully it will be a much wetter season for the western states this winter.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, Sheila, Alan, & GW's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Ringel for wellness, rest, healing, and extra strength,
Nosmo's mom,
Foxfyre's sore back and painful shoulder,
Mrs. Ringel's knee,
Pogo's brother,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Chris's new job,
GW's new job,
Gracie's sore hand,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
And all others we love and hold in concern with a special RIP for Bert.

And the light is left on for Freedombecki, Againsheila, Alan1 and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

DSC_0048_400x400.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

I posted this in the Food forum, but thought I would do the same here since many of us have aches and pains during the winter due to cold weather.

WARM TURMERIC MILK
Posted by Teresa Cutter on Sunday, July 19, 2015 · 8 Comments

This time of year, our immune system needs some TLC to help ward off colds and flu. I head straight to the kitchen and make restorative drinks that provide me with a concentrated source of nutrients that the body can easily absorb. I include anti-inflammatory ingredients such as turmeric and ginger which play a starring role and are potent aromatics that help the body eliminate toxins, stimulate circulation, aid digestion and boost immune function. One restorative drink that I often make is my turmeric milk. I enjoy it hot or cold depending on the weather and how I feel. I drink it warm when the weather is cold and enjoy it icy cold made with frozen banana and Healthy Chef Protein in the summer time.

What’s Great About It:
Curcumin is the active ingredient in Turmeric, responsible for the distinct yellow colouring and the impressive list of health properties. Turmeric has been linked to the prevention of cancer cell growth and management of inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, asthma, eczema and inflammatory bowel disease. It is a nutritional powerhouse, rich in manganese, zinc, B group vitamins and iron. Ginger has potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It helps to boost immune function and combat cellular damage. Almond milk is high in the minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium as well as vitamin E so nourishes the immune system.

2 cups almond milk (or your choice of milk, rice, dairy, oat etc…)
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/2 teaspoon ground turmerichttps://secure.thehealthychef.com/shop/product/natural-immune-support
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick

Combine milk, honey, vanilla, turmeric, ginger and cinnamon
Place over a low heat and whisk until combined.
Heat the milk and aromatics gently stirring with a spoon until hot. 65 C.
Pour the milk into 2 serving cups and enjoy.

Notes + Inspiration
Add 1/2 teaspoon Natural Immune Support

Serve hot or cold.
Blend cold turmeric milk ingredients with frozen banana, peeled orange, Healthy Chef Protein and Natural Immune Support for an energising healthy breakfast.
Add a spoonful of tahini will give your body a good boost of calcium, magnesium, iron, selenium, and dietary fibre.

- See more at: Warm Turmeric Milk : The Healthy Chef – Teresa Cutter

Forum List

Back