USMB Coffee Shop IV

We've been experiencing some serious winds all day. Took some antiques up to a store in Tularosa and some non-antique stuff up to a junk store in Carrizozo, made $75, driving the Prius cost us about $10 in gas......... :thup:
The trip up was a little windy till we left Alamogordo headed north, then it got serious, drove through a mini habob between Alamagordo and Tularosa but only somewhat dusty up to Carrizozo. By the time we left Carrizozo headed home it was a full fledged dust/sand storm completely obscuring even the mountains all around us. The wind is still howling outside, pretty sure I'll have sand dunes on the bottom of the pool tomorrow morning........

I wish after we spring forward, it STAYS that way. It's just dumb to keep flipping it back and forth.

Hi guys! I have once again returned. So I'll get right down to it.

I feel sorry for anyone who is asleep now and did not remember to set their clocks forward. Enjoy the chaos during your day as you go to places an hour before they open and wonder why they are still closed, or attend events an hour early and wonder what the hell is going on when you are the only one there.

(Does Nelson laugh, points finger)

Ha Ha!

12074701_1689472744660105_3980238468734339556_n.jpg

I feel sorry for anyone who is asleep now and did not remember to set their clocks forward. Enjoy the chaos during your day as you go to places an hour before they open and wonder why they are still closed, or attend events an hour early and wonder what the hell is going on when you are the only one there.

Ha Ha!

Hey TK. Good to see you. All is well with you and your grandma?

And while we're on the subject, I hate daylight savings time. It takes me months to reset my biological clock. I wish they would just pick a time and stay with it year round.

And while we're on the subject, I hate daylight savings time. It takes me months to reset my biological clock. I wish they would just pick a time and stay with it year round.

The clocks are the same in England. If I remember rightly our clocks will change next week.
Incidentally I tweeted Tim Peake, the British astronaut on the space station today asking him how many sunrises he sees in 24 hours and how he tells what day it is. A Nasa engineer answered for him, saying he sees 16 sunrises a day and the space station uses Greenwich mean time to tell the time and date.

The clocks are the same in England. If I remember rightly our clocks will change next week.
Incidentally I tweeted Tim Peake, the British astronaut on the space station today asking him how many sunrises he sees in 24 hours and how he tells what day it is. A Nasa engineer answered for him, saying he sees 16 sunrises a day and the space station uses Greenwich mean time to tell the time and date.

It is a sometimes a real puzzle for us if we work across state lines which Hombre and I did for years. Texas is Central time except for the El Paso area that is mountain time (or it used to be.) New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah follows the rest of the country statewide re standard and daylight savings time. Arizona stays on standard time year round except for the Navajo reservations (which constitute a huge chunk of Arizona) that go on daylight savings time. You really have to think about it when scheduling appointments.

Not much damage due to the wind, at least none that I've seen around the house, the water surface in the pool was coated with Mulberry seed pods, many more than normal and yup, the bottom of the pool looks like mini underwater sand dunes. Skimmed the seed pods and will have to vacuum the sand.

It is a sometimes a real puzzle for us if we work across state lines which Hombre and I did for years. Texas is Central time except for the El Paso area that is mountain time (or it used to be.) New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah follows the rest of the country statewide re standard and daylight savings time. Arizona stays on standard time year round except for the Navajo reservations (which constitute a huge chunk of Arizona) that go on daylight savings time. You really have to think about it when scheduling appointments.
There are other states that are considering opting out of daylight savings time. DST has always been and still is controversial, Woodrow Wilson first signed it into law in 1918 but it proved so unpopular it was repealed in 1919. FDR re-instituted it during WWI and it was called "War Time" back then, it stuck.

There are other states that are considering opting out of daylight savings time. DST has always been and still is controversial, Woodrow Wilson first signed it into law in 1918 but it proved so unpopular it was repealed in 1919. FDR re-instituted it during WWI and it was called "War Time" back then, it stuck.

It's strange how it's considered controversial, yet I have never met anyone who liked Daylight Saving. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone advocate for it at all (in the present, not counting past advocates); the closest I can say for sure I've seen are articles which talk about business lobbies pushing for it.

It isn't even a national thing, each state gets to decide what time it is on their own. :lol:

Almost, but we can't blame FDR. His daylight savings time order was mostly for the war effort and was discontinued almost immediately after the war. The one to blame was LBJ--okay LBJ and Congress--who, as an energy savings measure and presumably to increase safety for school children--made it official in 1966.

. . .Contrary to popular opinion, Benjamin Franklin did not invent daylight-saving time. The original idea is credited to New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson, who first presented the idea to the Royal Society of New Zealand, though he suggested two hours instead of one.

The practice wasn’t actually implemented until World War I, when Americans began setting their clocks back as a way to conserve energy. After being repealed for a few years after the war, daylight saving was revived again in 1942 during World War II.

Congress passed the Uniform Time Act in 1966, which formalized the start of daylight saving time on the last Sunday of April and the end on the last Sunday of October. After switching the start dates a few times, in 2007 Congress eventually settled on the start time to the second Sunday in March and the conclusion to the first Sunday in November . . .​
Why daylight saving time is so controversial

The last Sunday in April and the last Sunday in October was a heck of a lot easier to remember than the new dates set in 2007.

But the article confirms that you're right that there is an undercurrent of support to do away with the twice a year time change as it is disruptive and may even been harmful or dangerous to some.

It's strange how it's considered controversial, yet I have never met anyone who liked Daylight Saving. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone advocate for it at all (in the present, not counting past advocates); the closest I can say for sure I've seen are articles which talk about business lobbies pushing for it.

It isn't even a national thing, each state gets to decide what time it is on their own. :lol:

I am not sure how the people given a chance to vote on daylight savings time year round or standard time year round would vote. I am pretty sure those folks living in West Texas would opt for standard time--with daylight savings time, it doesn't get fully dark there until well after 9 pm and that makes it difficult to persuade the kids that it is bedtime. Those folks on the eastern edge of their time zone would almost certainly vote for daylight savings time. Those who enjoy outdoor activities after work would also opt for daylight savings time.

Then you have GW in Alaska where the days and nights are so different from here it probably doesn't make much difference there.

Last weekend some family friends had a wedding near here and my middle daughter made it back from Denver. This would be the one who had her school locked down this week. Anyways, she found a Nintendo 64 system at a flea market and was trying find games and controllers while home. We hit the mother load with three controllers and many games. I also found a Super Nintendo system and a Nintendo NES System. The kids had duplicate systems at their Mom's house, so we went over there and gathered all the unmatched stuff. Managed to complete a Super Nintendo system over there. Brought back a Nintendo NES system and was able to finally get it running just now. Hopefully we can trade some of the duplicate games for a Super Nintendo transformer. Then that system should work too. Funny part is the games and systems cost about the same price as they did new. It was kind of like discovering a buried treasure.

YouTube videos rule for fixing Nintendo systems by the way. I had to disable a chip, clean the games, clean the 72 pin assembly and adjust the pins too.

Last weekend some family friends had a wedding near here and my middle daughter made it back from Denver. This would be the one who had her school locked down this week. Anyways, she found a Nintendo 64 system at a flea market and was trying find games and controllers while home. We hit the mother load with three controllers and many games. I also found a Super Nintendo system and a Nintendo NES System. The kids had duplicate systems at their Mom's house, so we went over there and gathered all the unmatched stuff. Managed to complete a Super Nintendo system over there. Brought back a Nintendo NES system and was able to finally get it running just now. Hopefully we can trade some of the duplicate games for a Super Nintendo transformer. Then that system should work too. Funny part is the games and systems cost about the same price as they did new. It was kind of like discovering a buried treasure.

My old-fashioned Nintendo that I enjoyed in my 40's was one of my most favorite things ever. I LOVED the Nintendo games - Super Mario and all that. It has never been the same for me since, but we didn't ever acquire a play station or x-box or anything like that after the Nintendo gave up the ghost.

Ha Ha!

Hey TK. Good to see you. All is well with you and your grandma?

Yes ma'am. Grandma had a good day yesterday.

One acre of new fencing installed, weathered/damaged spots all patched up.
Garden soil mixed and cooking until April.
16 lambs ready for the auction.
Filled the first egg carton of the year.
Barn roof wind damage repaired.

Was gonna plant two Apple trees today, but since I slipped another disc in my back, I think I'll head on over to the urgent care clinic in a few hours instead...

View attachment 66460

Oh ouch. We better put you in the bad back division on the vigil list. Hope you can get relief quickly.
You've been a busy fellow Six. But filled the first egg carton? It has been so long since we had chickens it never occurred to me that they didn't lay during the winter. Somehow I recall ours did. But can't be sure now as I was a kid at the time.

You can force chickens to lay throughout the winter. All it takes is one light bulb to alter their natural light cycle. :)
Ah, yeah...define "natural" light cycle. In Alaska it's a bit different than in some other southern clime.

I do not add any artificial light to their coop in the winter time, so they can concentrate their nutrients on growing warmer feathers instead of eggs. Not only are they 100% Organic, but they are also 100% natural in every aspect. They lay their eggs only when Nature intends them to. :)

Lighting: Layers

What part of Alaska? I used to live in Chugiak.
Thanks for the info. I live in Chugiak (North Birchwood) right now but am moving to Willow this summer. Where did you live? Why did you leave?

Moved up there to Eagle River for a woman I met on a chat site I used to own. We upgraded from the apartment to a house out in Chugiak. Left Alaska for the same reason. lol

I don't remember the street name anymore, it was back in 2004. We weren't but a couple miles from Mirror Lake though.

Forum List

Back