USMB Coffee Shop IV

I was just checking the weather and yikes: Ernie S. , Sherry and WelfareQueen and anybody else near the Florida gulf coast, especially the Tampa area, looks like tropical storm Colin will be a direct hit. Lots and LOTS of rain and coastal flooding from the storm surge. Ya'll get out your waders and water wings.

That fence is 32' x 6', not counting the 17" projections on both ends. The owner is going to hang some flower baskets from those.

Beautiful, beautiful Save.

Just out of curiosity, what is your best off the top of your head estimate for a 3' high concrete block (or reasonably similar material) retaining wall, 60 feet long? It would be replacing vertical railroad ties that are slowly disintegrating? The raised flower bed extends the full length of our lot.

$2,200 for materials and then $1,500 labor.

Ugh, that's a lot. But we may have to bite the bullet and get it done. Neither Hombre or I are physically able to supply the labor anymore. :(

Thanks a lot though. I thought you would have a ballpark number for me.

I was just checking the weather and yikes: Ernie S. , Sherry and WelfareQueen and anybody else near the Florida gulf coast, especially the Tampa area, looks like tropical storm Colin will be a direct hit. Lots and LOTS of rain and coastal flooding from the storm surge. Ya'll get out your waders and water wings.
We've been getting outer bands of rain since Friday afternoon, but it looks like we're about out of it now

Well, I finished all my chores and my packing. I'm done WAAAAY too early. Now I don't have anything to do until 8:00 - 8:30. That's when we're leaving. My friend works as a CNA and she had to work today and then has to take care of couple of her own chores and then she will be picking me up at my place and off we go! I don't have anything to do until then.
Sounds like the beginning of a Thelma and Louise outting, lol. Don't stop at any bars! :)

Foggy here again, but we had a bit of sun this late afternoon. I sat in the lounge chair and wound up zonking out for half an hour. Fog woke me up. The warm sun was gone and I got wet from the dew.

Morning folks

Bottom's up :coffee:

upload_2016-6-6_4-19-3.png

Hi Foxy.....

Yep.....It's hitting now (about 9am EDT). The main force of the storm is hitting just south of Tampa Bay. Sarasota is right in the epicenter. We're about 30 miles north of Tampa and we're expected to get about half the rain of those further south.

Right now for us 3-4 inches of rain and winds gusting to 25mph. The folks further south are supposed to get it much worse.

Hi Foxy.....

Yep.....It's hitting now (about 9am EDT). The main force of the storm is hitting just south of Tampa Bay. Sarasota is right in the epicenter. We're about 30 miles north of Tampa and we're expected to get about half the rain of those further south.

Right now for us 3-4 inches of rain and winds gusting to 25mph. The folks further south are supposed to get it much worse.

Oh good. Sound like you won't get totally flooded out. Stay dry.

Well, I finished all my chores and my packing. I'm done WAAAAY too early. Now I don't have anything to do until 8:00 - 8:30. That's when we're leaving. My friend works as a CNA and she had to work today and then has to take care of couple of her own chores and then she will be picking me up at my place and off we go! I don't have anything to do until then.
Sounds like the beginning of a Thelma and Louise outting, lol. Don't stop at any bars! :)
Foggy here again, but we had a bit of sun this late afternoon. I sat in the lounge chair and wound up zonking out for half an hour. Fog woke me up. The warm sun was gone and I got wet from the dew.

I don't think of your area having that kind of humidity but then again San Francisco fog is legendary so it stands to reason that other coastal areas would not be immune. I have just not personally seen it when I have been out there.

Just out of curiosity, what is your best off the top of your head estimate for a 3' high concrete block (or reasonably similar material) retaining wall, 60 feet long? It would be replacing vertical railroad ties that are slowly disintegrating? The raised flower bed extends the full length of our lot.

Ugh, that's a lot. But we may have to bite the bullet and get it done. Neither Hombre or I are physically able to supply the labor anymore. :(

You have to figure your costs will most likely be 10% to 20% cheaper out here, especially labor. Stone is more readily available and cheaper here than in the midwest or back east but I could be wrong.

Here's a link to five Albuquerque Landscapers where you can get free quotes.

5 Best Retaining Wall Builders - Albuquerque NM | HomeAdvisor

My brother's dog Teddy spent the weekend with Daisy the Mutt and me. Teddy, compared to Daisy is...a challenge. Sunday morning is a time of rest and relaxation at the luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. I usually roll out of bed around 9:00 am, shower, dress and make breakfast. And Sunday breakfasts are my favorite as I have the time to fry bacon, scramble eggs, toast bagels, squeeze orange juice and brew up a fresh pot of coffee. Compare that to Monday breakfasts which are generally consumed at the steering wheel of my company truck and consist of a banana and a bottle of skim milk.

Daisy comes into the Great Hall about half way through Face the Nation and is content to crawl upon my lap and nap until the Sunday yak shows are over. Then we get some chicken jerky dog treats in my hip pocket, get the dog collar snapped in place and go down the steps to the garage. "Up! up! up!" and Daisy hops into the passenger seat. The door goes up, the engine is started and by 11:30 we are on our way to the park.

This Sunday passed, I got a face full of Teddy kisses at 6:30 am. I arose, slipped on my bedroom slippers, affixed Teddy's collar and put him on the lead which is screwed into the fertile soil of my front lawn. "What the hell?" I muttered as I staggered into the kitchen and put the kettle on the boil. Within three minutes I heard Teddy yapping to come back inside. He had broken the steel cable lead he was tied to and was dragging it around the front lawn.

He bounded inside and took his place on my lap, an uncomfortable place for me as he out weighs Daisy by 20 pounds. The kettle was whistling and I made coffee in my French press. I slid a bagel into the toaster and got the cream cheese from the icebox. No Sunday news shows were on that time of the morning and I dare not go down to the corner store to buy the Sunday papers. I scrolled through the iPad for some news and chewed on my bagel.

At 9:00, I watched CBS Sunday morning, then Face the Nation. I let Teddy out again.

Daisy reliably stumbled out of the bedroom at 10:30 blinking her eyes like a toad in a rainstorm, oblivious to Teddy's early rising. While Teddy was outside, she crawled upon my lap for reassurance that she was still the queen pooch of Pimplebutt.

The chicken jerky treats went into my hip pocket, collars were affixed to dog necks. "Up! up! up!" and everyone was in the car to go to the park.

When walking Daisy, the routine is; I park. I open the door. Daisy hops out and goes to her favorite spot to pee. I begin the walk, tearing the strips of chicken jerky treats into bits the size of postage stamps. Daisy runs along side, occasionally spotting a squirrel and gives chase. She hops her front legs against the back of my knee to remind me she is right there and would enjoy a chicken snack. She sees a group of kids and runs to them to show off. They Ohh and Aww and are delighted by her antics.

With Teddy, I first have to get him into his harness, no small feat as he lays down and melts into the ground, rolls over and paws my arms preventing me from getting his front legs in place and snapping the clip that secures the harness. Then I put his leash on the harness. Then I hang on for dear life. Walking him is like horizontally flying a kite. back and forth across the path he goes, barking at little kids on bicycles, other dogs, joggers and any other stimulant he sees. It's exhausting.

But I'm a dog guy and as any dog guy knows, it's the love of the pet that enables tolerance for the pet. Teddy is never worse for wear after a weekend with me. If only I could say the same.

Last edited:
My brother's dog Teddy spent the weekend with Daisy the Mutt and me. Teddy, compared to Daisy is...a challenge. Sunday morning is a time of rest and relaxation at the luxurious Pimplebutt Estate. I usually roll out of bed around 9:00 am, shower, dress and make breakfast. And Sunday breakfasts are my favorite as I have the time to fry bacon, scramble eggs, toast bagels, squeeze orange juice and brew up a fresh pot of coffee. Compare that to Monday breakfasts which are generally consumed at the steering wheel of my company truck and consist of a banana and a bottle of skim milk.

Daisy comes into the Great Hall about half way through Face the Nation and is content to crawl upon my lap and nap until the Sunday yak shows are over. Then we get some chicken jerky dog treats in my hip pocket, get the dog collar snapped in place and go down the steps to the garage. "Up! up! up!" and Daisy hops into the passenger seat. The door goes up, the engine is started and by 11:30 we are on our way to the park.

This Sunday passed, I got a face full of Teddy kisses at 6:30 am. I arose, slipped on my bedroom slippers, affixed Teddy's collar and put him on the lead which is screwed into the fertile soil of my front lawn. "What the hell?" I muttered as I staggered into the kitchen and put the kettle on the boil. Within three minutes I heard Teddy yapping to come back inside. He had broken the steel cable lead he was tied to and was dragging it around the front lawn.

He bounded inside and took his place on my lap, an uncomfortable place for me as he out weighs Daisy by 20 pounds. The kettle was whistling and I made coffee in my French press. I slid a bagel into the toaster and got the cream chees from the icebox. No Sunday news shows were on that time of the morning and I dare not go down to the corner store to buy the Sunday papers. I scrolled through the iPad for some news and chewed on my bagel.

At 9:00, I watched CBS Sunday morning, then Face the Nation. I let Teddy out again.

Daisy reliably stumbled out of the bedroom at 10:30 blinking her eyes like a toad in a rainstorm, oblivious to Teddy's early rising. While Teddy was outside, she crawled upon my lap for reassurance that she was still the queen pooch of Pimplebutt.

The chicken jerky treats went into my hip pocket, collars were affixed to dog necks. "Up! up! up!" and everyone was in the car to go to the park.

When walking Daisy, the routine is; I park. I open the door. Daisy hops out and gores to her favorite spot to pee. I begin the walk, tearing the strips of chicken jerky treats into bits the size of postage stamps. Daisy runs along side, occasionally spotting a squirrel and giving chase. She hops her front legs against the back of my knee to remind me she is right there and would enjoy a chicken snack. She sees a group of kids and runs to them to show off. They Ohh and Aww and are delighted by her antics.

With Teddy, I first have to get him into his harness, no small feat as he lays down and melts into the ground preventing my from getting his front legs in place and snapping the clip that secures the harness. Then I put his leash on the harness. Then I hang on for dear life. Walking him is like horizontally flying a kite. back and forth across the path he goes, barking at little kids on bicycles, other dogs, joggers and any other stimulant he sees. It's exhausting.

But I'm a dog guy and as any dog guy knows, it's the love of the pet that enables tolerance for the pet. Teddy is never worse for wear after a weekend with me. If only I could say the same.

Such a visual picture you paint Nosmo. I can relate. Next week Carly, the mini doxie, will be coming to live with us for roughly six months. Sally, the Shih Tzu, who also frequently stays with us accepts our routine and, except for twice daily walks she insists on--she doesn't do that at her home but only at our house--she effortlessly blends into the family here.. Carly not so much. But we are dog and cat people and we'll manage.

You have to figure your costs will most likely be 10% to 20% cheaper out here, especially labor. Stone is more readily available and cheaper here than in the midwest or back east but I could be wrong.

Thanks. I notice a couple of those guys only have one review. Another of tem we have had a less than satisfactory experience with. I might check out one or two of them, but I prefer to go with recommendations of people we know who know who to recommend. We had to take one landscaper to court to get him to do the job right.

The problem with the free sites is that a lot of the recommendations you see that produce the ratings can be manufactured by friends and relatives of the contractor. But at any rate, at least your list gives me an idea of who specializes in retaining walls.

A stone wall would be really pretty but I'm pretty sure that would be more expensive than concrete blocks.

He bounded inside and took his place on my lap, an uncomfortable place for me as he out weighs Daisy by 20 pounds. The kettle was whistling and I made coffee in my French press. I slid a bagel into the toaster and got the cream chees from the icebox. No Sunday news shows were on that time of the morning and I dare not go down to the corner store to buy the Sunday papers. I scrolled through the iPad for some news and chewed on my bagel.

When walking Daisy, the routine is; I park. I open the door. Daisy hops out and gores to her favorite spot to pee. I begin the walk, tearing the strips of chicken jerky treats into bits the size of postage stamps. Daisy runs along side, occasionally spotting a squirrel and giving chase. She hops her front legs against the back of my knee to remind me she is right there and would enjoy a chicken snack. She sees a group of kids and runs to them to show off. They Ohh and Aww and are delighted by her antics.

With Teddy, I first have to get him into his harness, no small feat as he lays down and melts into the ground preventing my from getting his front legs in place and snapping the clip that secures the harness. Then I put his leash on the harness. Then I hang on for dear life. Walking him is like horizontally flying a kite. back and forth across the path he goes, barking at little kids on bicycles, other dogs, joggers and any other stimulant he sees. It's exhausting.

Such a visual picture you paint Nosmo. I can relate. Next week Carly, the mini doxie, will be coming to live with us for roughly six months. Sally, the Shih Tzu, who also frequently stays with us accepts our routine and, except for twice daily walks she insists on--she doesn't do that at her home but only at our house--she effortlessly blends into the family here.. Carly not so much. But we are dog and cat people and we'll manage.
I wonder what is in your neighborhood that makes Sally insist on walks?

I notice Daisy stopping at regular stops to sniff the messages left by other dogs. Then she lifts both hind legs simultaneously, doing a dog handstand, as she leaves messages of her own. In my imagination, she is telling other dogs that she was here, she's healthy and she wishes them the best of luck against the squirrels.

I'm often asked if she's a Maltipoo or a Cockapoo. "No" I reply "She's all 'poo'". Goldendoodles, Labradoodles, Cockapoos, Maltipoos. The common denominator is the poodle. All these other dog owners want the characteristics of the poodle in their dog. Why not just get the common, base alloy?

Poodles are whip smart, athletic, friendly to a fault, hypoallergenic, non-shedders, playful, loyal and loving. Just about everything but intimidating. They can lay as comfortably as a cat on your lap, alert you to any distress outside, do tricks the young folks call 'awesome' and come when they are called. What else could you ask of a dog?

Plus, they pee like this:
IMG_0724.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks. I notice a couple of those guys only have one review. Another of tem we have had a less than satisfactory experience with. I might check out one or two of them, but I prefer to go with recommendations of people we know who know who to recommend. We had to take one landscaper to court to get him to do the job right.

The problem with the free sites is that a lot of the recommendations you see that produce the ratings can be manufactured by friends and relatives of the contractor. But at any rate, at least your list gives me an idea of who specializes in retaining walls.

A stone wall would be really pretty but I'm pretty sure that would be more expensive than concrete blocks.
I didn't read it, just posted it. There are also the interlocking blocks that don't require mortar to hold them in place saving you some extra work and money, the key to a long lasting, well constructed retaining wall is the base and proper drainage behind the wall as well as some form of buried reinforcement if the wall is high enough.

FH00APR_CONCBL_05.jpg

With a slightly back leaning short wall, buried reinforcement (deadmen) are redundant.

I didn't read it, just posted it. There are also the interlocking blocks that don't require mortar to hold them in place saving you some extra work and money, the key to a long lasting, well constructed retaining wall is the base and proper drainage behind the wall as well as some form of buried reinforcement if the wall is high enough.

FH00APR_CONCBL_05.jpg

With a slightly back leaning short wall, buried reinforcement (deadmen) are redundant.
That's the system I had installed as both a retaining wall along the driveway and the foundation of my new front porch. The crew had bobcat excavators, pneumatic compactors and twenty year old back muscles. I got nothin' like that.

Nosmo King, rather than quote all that again, I'll just answer your question: what is in our neighborhood that makes Sally insist on walks?

The answer is Hombre. He is willing to take her on walks and she loves it. I won't do as the dog walker--I've tried. She wants me to feed her, cuddle her, comfort her when she is frightened by thunder, give her treats. But Hombre is supposed to take her on walks. It's really pretty funny.

QUESTION: Does anybody else ever have trouble getting this site to work? Every now and then, especially if I use the quote function, it is like trying to type in molasses--it takes forever for each letter to show up on the page and there are periods nothing shows up. Every function is slow or non working.

I post occasionally on four other message boards, on Twitter, Facebook, and other sites and don't have this problem on any of those. Any ideas?

Note: typing this post, however, all is working as it should.

FH00APR_CONCBL_05.jpg

Do tell? :eusa_whistle:

Should bury the first course too....

Forum List

Back