USMB Coffee Shop IV

So here it is Autumn in near full glory. In two weeks, the zenith of Fall color will be on display. Autumn is my second favorite season behind Spring. Our hardwood forests are so diverse the colors of the oaks contrast brilliantly against the hickory, the ash, the locust and the wild cherry. Hemlocks and stately red pines are evergreens and put the showy poplars and sugar maples in perspective.

Pumpkins and gourds and Indian corn and hardy mums decorate front porches. In homes with the young and the young at heart have Halloween decorations that seem to get more elaborate every year. Halloween rivals Christmas for flashy home decor.

There's a welcome crisp snap in the air that does not make us yearn for the haze and humidity of the Dog Days of August. The calendar is accelerating wildly now. Once we get into the months that end in 'ber', September, October, November, December means that Labor Day begins the race, Halloween marks the midpoint and Thanksgiving is just an open door to the insanity that is the modern Christmas. The holiday rush is one sign of the 'ber' month phenomenon. The change in the weather means we'll be saying "ber" more often.

It's time to start buttoning up the yards, grubbing out the gardens, putting away the garden hose, wrapping up the cold sensitive plants and checking supplies of ice melter for the coming weather.

There's always something to do, whether I'm ready or not.
Getting to be too much work for me.

I think we will head south.

So here it is Autumn in near full glory. In two weeks, the zenith of Fall color will be on display. Autumn is my second favorite season behind Spring. Our hardwood forests are so diverse the colors of the oaks contrast brilliantly against the hickory, the ash, the locust and the wild cherry. Hemlocks and stately red pines are evergreens and put the showy poplars and sugar maples in perspective.

Pumpkins and gourds and Indian corn and hardy mums decorate front porches. In homes with the young and the young at heart have Halloween decorations that seem to get more elaborate every year. Halloween rivals Christmas for flashy home decor.

There's a welcome crisp snap in the air that does not make us yearn for the haze and humidity of the Dog Days of August. The calendar is accelerating wildly now. Once we get into the months that end in 'ber', September, October, November, December means that Labor Day begins the race, Halloween marks the midpoint and Thanksgiving is just an open door to the insanity that is the modern Christmas. The holiday rush is one sign of the 'ber' month phenomenon. The change in the weather means we'll be saying "ber" more often.

It's time to start buttoning up the yards, grubbing out the gardens, putting away the garden hose, wrapping up the cold sensitive plants and checking supplies of ice melter for the coming weather.

There's always something to do, whether I'm ready or not.
Getting to be too much work for me.

I think we will head south.

Hey gipper. So happy you dropped by. Good to see you. Where will you head south from?

I think this school is not going to work out.

I never got a call back yesterday. I called again today, the girl who answered said that the person I need to talk to wasn't in, but she promised to call me back. I pointed out that today is the day fees for the term are to be paid, and she said she knew, that's why she was definitely going to call me back in a couple of hours.

That was 3 hours ago now.

I'm once again on hold with the financial aid office.

If I can't find out whether or not I'm going to be getting grant money, I am certainly not going to pay $1000 to the school for the term. It's so strange after the last school, where talking to some of the people was extremely difficult, but the financial aid office was always ready to reply quickly, usually the same day.

If this also goes to shit, I'm probably going to have to go with an online school that doesn't have all the accreditation that this one does. I don't know if that will hurt me down the line or not.

:mad:

Hopefully everything is worked out with my financial aid now.

I got a call back eventually. The girl said that my aid has been processed and I should see it in the next few days on the website. According to her I can wait for that before paying, I don't have to pay today. She thinks that after the grant money I will have to pay about $200 this term, which will be $300 or so after I buy books. I'd rather the grant money covered it all, obviously, but that's perfectly acceptable. I'll have to see how it works out when I get into a full term at the beginning of the year.

The important thing is that I should be getting the Pell grant and I don't have to fork over the more than $900 today.

Assuming this is all as discussed and I pay my costs in the next week or so, I'll start classes on the 10th.

Hopefully everything is worked out with my financial aid now.

I got a call back eventually. The girl said that my aid has been processed and I should see it in the next few days on the website. According to her I can wait for that before paying, I don't have to pay today. She thinks that after the grant money I will have to pay about $200 this term, which will be $300 or so after I buy books. I'd rather the grant money covered it all, obviously, but that's perfectly acceptable. I'll have to see how it works out when I get into a full term at the beginning of the year.

The important thing is that I should be getting the Pell grant and I don't have to fork over the more than $900 today.

Assuming this is all as discussed and I pay my costs in the next week or so, I'll start classes on the 10th.

Looks like it is looking up. We'll keep you on the vigil list until all is settled for sure.

Wow A month and 726 posts since I've stopped by. I've really spent very little time at USMB for quite a while and it occurred to me that I miss the coffee shop. Let's see... I'm single and will be making a rather large payment to the ex in the next few days after thaqt, she has up to 30 days to pack up and leave for good. She is currently in South Florida.

Wow A month and 726 posts since I've stopped by. I've really spent very little time at USMB for quite a while and it occurred to me that I miss the coffee shop. Let's see... I'm single and will be making a rather large payment to the ex in the next few days after thaqt, she has up to 30 days to pack up and leave for good. She is currently in South Florida.
I suppose the fact that you are now single warrants congratulations?

Ernie!!! I've missed you. While I hater you have to make that large payment, I'm glad to see that stressful situation in your life is coming to a close. So Doc Hollidays is doing well? You are doing well?

Good night Darlinks. I hope all sleep well. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition and their Moki,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

The Cumbres-Toltec Railroad - northern New Mexico

14358680_10154611074536209_6189122241016091804_n.jpg

It feels good to be free from her eh?
I also( like Foxfyre) don't like the sound of a large payment to her either. Big bummer !
We all hope you are doing well after everything has come to a close.
Divorce is never a very pleasant thing to have to go through.

I suppose the fact that you are now single warrants congratulations?
It does, though the depletion of my net worth does not.

Wow A month and 726 posts since I've stopped by. I've really spent very little time at USMB for quite a while and it occurred to me that I miss the coffee shop. Let's see... I'm single and will be making a rather large payment to the ex in the next few days after that, she has up to 30 days to pack up and leave for good. She is currently in South Florida.

Ernie!!! I've missed you. While I hater you have to make that large payment, I'm glad to see that stressful situation in your life is coming to a close. So Doc Hollidays is doing well? You are doing well?
Doc's is doing well. We are again beating last years numbers and actually seeing a bit more profit. for all 32 months, we have finished in the black, but we are finally at a point where we draw a bit of salary over and above our security and bartender draw. I am still pretty incompetent behind the bar but I've gotten to the point where I can handle a few hours when I have staffing problems.
The stress of the divorce and the ex's mental health problems wore pretty thin on me over the last few months. I've lost too much weight (not a good thing in my case) and I've fallen back into smoking. Once she has collected her belongings and I have 12020 to myself, I'll make another serious attempt to quit.
As far as my health... The COPD is troublesome, but I'm quite confident a good deal of my breathing problems will clear up once I get rid of the tobacco. My latest problem is an apparent broken rib. I have no idea how this might have happened, no fights, falls or trauma I recall, but, DAMN! A lot of my friends are huggers and greeting them at the bar can be excruciating.
I'm testing the waters in my personal life; have been dating some, but no current squeeze. I have a feeling this may change once HER stuff is gone and I can clean up the moving mess here at the house

I also( like Foxfyre) don't like the sound of a large payment to her either. Big bummer !
Large payment is kind of relative. Her suit contained a demand of the house, the bar and $1,200/month alimony.
What she ended up with is her dishes, the dining room table, her clothes and what amounts to 25% of the equity in the house.

Large payment is kind of relative. Her suit contained a demand of the house, the bar and $1,200/month alimony.
What she ended up with is her dishes, the dining room table, her clothes and what amounts to 25% of the equity in the house.

Sweet justice!! :)

Sorry about the rib--that happens to me now and then--not a break but a strained rib that hurts like hell for several days. But all in all it sounds like you came out the winner on the deal. Hombre and I thought once about getting a divorce and he would pay me a nice alimony check every month. Then we could remarry and the extra money coming in would really help us out. . .
:)

Seriously though, do get off the ciggies. I have watched two people die now from complications of COPD--both smoked way too long into the process--and it was not the way anybody would choose to spend their last years on Earth.

In my divorce, there wasn't any money involved, because neither of us had any,still being in our twenties and him still a grad student.
My sweet justice was the fact I was free of the ass hole ex-wife beater for good! :biggrin:

Sorry about the rib--that happens to me now and then--not a break but a strained rib that hurts like hell for several days. But all in all it sounds like you came out the winner on the deal. Hombre and I thought once about getting a divorce and he would pay me a nice alimony check every month. Then we could remarry and the extra money coming in would really help us out. . .
:)

Seriously though, do get off the ciggies. I have watched two people die now from complications of COPD--both smoked way too long into the process--and it was not the way anybody would choose to spend their last years on Earth.
I've managed to stay off the things twice now for 3 and 4 months. I have seen my lung capacity increase dramatically both times to the point where I can actually jog a bit and never get winded during normal activities. I expect much the same results once I actually put them down for good.

Forum List

Back