USMB Coffee Shop IV

I can't sleep either. Been up all night but am beginning to get sleepy. Most likely I will hit the hay before too much longer.
I went to bed at 5am. Been doing more packing and stuff today. Also making phone calls to the rexall at home, my old doctor and his receptionist, the other pharmacy, the vet, the storage place, the inlaws....evryone said they were pleased we were coming back. Too bad none of them have a hole for us to call home though, lol.
Anyway..I am afraid and excited all at the same time. I lost my CenCal...so I have to get to social services as soon as we unload MrGs truck in the storage unit so I can get back on it. So for now...I have no coverage except Medi-Cal...which can only be used for emergencies. Crazy, no? That means no doctor, no mamm that is due this month, no pills...nothing. Unless I keel over from a stroke or heart attack or car wreck or something considered ER. THEN I am covered but for nothing else.

This was a costly costly mistake. I read all the signs wrong, thats for sure. MrG is covered cuz he is on medicare...but I have a year to go before I can be on that. So I will make due the best I can unless CenCal reinstates me..and I hope they do.

To keep from freaking out completely...I consider it a camping trip. And being free to move about wherever we want with no rent due, no utilities, no anything. Just mosey on down the road, stop, rest, picnic in a park where there is GRASS and not DIRT, hang at the beach, eat at fast food places, and use the library a lot to get books to read. How long we will be able to do this remains to be seen, but we are going to try to last as long as we can.:)

There was a discussion where I work recently about free mammograms during October since it's breast cancer awareness month. I don't know if it's the same case in your region. Good luck with everything, Gracie.:)

I have posted on here about my job search. Well, I need a little advice. As I was searching online tonight I found a few positions to send a resume in. I also stumbled across a listing for the job of one of my friends at work. It appears she will either be leaving soon on her own and they posted the soon-to-be opening or they are going to terminate her. Question is, do I tell her about this or not? I have a pretty good idea what I would choose, but interested in hearing from you.

Unless you think she'd shoot the messenger, I'd tell her.

I have posted on here about my job search. Well, I need a little advice. As I was searching online tonight I found a few positions to send a resume in. I also stumbled across a listing for the job of one of my friends at work. It appears she will either be leaving soon on her own and they posted the soon-to-be opening or they are going to terminate her. Question is, do I tell her about this or not? I have a pretty good idea what I would choose, but interested in hearing from you.

Tell her, but in a fun way.....get her a "Congratulations on the new job!" cake or something. :p

Hi Sherry (and Mr Sherry)....yes, October is free mammogram month. Except here. Home, I can get it done regardless of whether I am covered under CenCal. Hearst Castle and the Cancer Society have me in their files and all I have to do is go to the place I always go for it and they will pay for it. :)

I just gotta get there before October ends. And I will. I will be "home" on the 24th.:clap:

You are under no contractual obligation to not tell her are you? I would put this one in the category of would I want to know? If so then I wuuld advise her of the listing and where you saw it and allow her to draw her own conclusions.

ok...question for PC experts!

I want a laptop. One that is lightweight, will play dvd's, and most importantly...has a LONG BATTERY LIFE. I googled last night and what I read was an ASUS (that is what my pc is right now but its a desktop) and its battery lasts 10 hours. Thats a long assed life for a laptop battery, isn't it?

So when the time change occurs and it gets dark at 5pm, MrG and I can sit in the van all comfy cozy and watch more than one movie, and I can find a WIFI that is open (maybe park by starbucks or a motel that has it) to me sneaking in.

Long Battery life
Can be charged via my vehicle port thingies
Will play dvd movies (at least 2 before dying from lack of juice)
Inexpensive
No frills and bells..just an entertainment toy that allows me to get on the internet easily (wireless).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Asus Chromebook C202 Review

Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series (3162)

Second one looks promising. Cheap, no frills, long battery life. But it said it will play the basic games..and I am not interested in games, per se, but more for how it would play a dvd movie. The descriptions on both are greek to me...so if someone experienced in this would be so kind to give me some input..MrG and I would appreciate it! Just think of us at the beach, in stealth mode, near a motel with WiFi, watching lord of the rings! Cuz thats what we want to do when it gets dark and not ready for bed at 6pm.

Second one looks promising. Cheap, no frills, long battery life. But it said it will play the basic games..and I am not interested in games, per se, but more for how it would play a dvd movie. The descriptions on both are greek to me...so if someone experienced in this would be so kind to give me some input..MrG and I would appreciate it! Just think of us at the beach, in stealth mode, near a motel with WiFi, watching lord of the rings! Cuz thats what we want to do when it gets dark and not ready for bed at 6pm.

I bought an ASUS laptop this summer for not very much money. It is not a top of the line by any means but it plays DVDs including movies just fine, and has a decent speaker.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Kat, Mr. Kat and Kat's mom,
Boedicca's Dad,
Montrovant's transition,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Gracie and Mr. Gracie in a difficult transition,
Imperius,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, and all the others who we miss and hope to return.

14650507_1678298325643205_7274572184173130860_n.jpg

You are under no contractual obligation to not tell her are you? I would put this one in the category of would I want to know? If so then I wuuld advise her of the listing and where you saw it and allow her to draw her own conclusions.

I copied the listing. She should be here this morning.

Update: She is leaving on her own as soon as a replacement is found.

Last edited:
People name kids all kinds of crazy names these days. Mrs. BBD's nephews and nieces are no exception. Some of the names to me seem just plain silly. What ever happened to names like Bob, Frank, Joe, Ann, Kathy and Rose? The world has gone insane.

My sister-in-law wanted a little girl from the time she gave birth to her first son. But alas there was boy after boy--no girls. When she was pregnant with her fifth son, we were so glad it was a boy because had he been a girl, born in April, she would have named the baby April Delight. And who wants to go through life as an ice cream sundae?

My name is Tim Johnson. I grew up in the 80's/90's and suffered through Timmy the Tooth, Tiny Tim, and Timmy the Cripple.

Then we all hit puberty and realized what Johnson meant.

Ironically, my parents erred not to name me Jedidiah, for fear that I would get teased for my name. :eusa_clap:

Just remember, an 11 - 12 inch screen is small especially if two people are trying to watch a movie at the same time.
If you plan on using public wifi I have some food for thought for ya to help keep yourself and your computer safe.

9 Tips to Stay Safe on Public Wi-Fi

Lois and Vivian were life long friends. They grew up two doors apart, down at the end of Jefferson Street just off Second Street on the north bank of the Ohio River. They suffered through grade school at the Grant Street Elementary School as Mrs. Duffy drilled spelling words and arithmetic tables into their heads. But their heads were preoccupied by thoughts of running on the deck of Lois' mother's houseboat, swimming in the river and paddling the canoe behind the stern wheelers as they played their way up and down the river.

Yeah, if Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were born in 1934 and were girls, Mark Twain would have written about The Adventures of Lois and Vivian. The war was on and the girls were already used to a certain level of privation. So meatless Tuesdays and gasoline rationing did not change that much so far as their households were concerned. Shoe during the summer time were superfluous and the girls could get away with wearing the same dress until their mothers did the wash on Monday.

The radio was everything to the girls. Tuesday nights were Fibber Magg and Molly, Sunday's were Jack Benny. As Lois and Vivian grew up, when Johnny Ray sang "Cry", they squealed and sighed and giggled.

They grew from gangly girls with legs like colts into lovely young high school sophomores before they knew it. That's when the equally gangly boys began to take notice. Vivian caught Jim's eye at a pep rally. Lois met Dale at a Hi- Tri dance. Both of their early romances blossomed into love and, by the early 1950s, they were wed.

Lois took a job at a beauty parlor. Vivian became a switchboard operator for Ohio Bell. Lois started out sweeping the floor and doing simple wash and sets. She had ambition and talent and showed particular skills at cutting hair. After a few years, the proprietress of the shop taught her the chemistry of dye jobs and permanent waves. Vivian ran her switchboard as a master conductor runs a symphony orchestr. "Number please!" was the phrase she spoke hundreds of time a shift. "Fulton 5-9534" "Evergreen 7-1505" came the relies. From 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm, Vivian connected the calls from town to town, only occasionally listening in to have enough gossip to compete with Lois. The girls knew a lot by way of their chosen occupations. But they knew how to keep their secrets between them.

Setting up house was a challenge to both Lois and Vivian, but a challenge they both took glee and satisfaction from. Vivian shopped for a new living room suite at Smith and Phillips Furniture down on Fourth Street. A dusty rose colored davenport, a matching arm chair and a walnut veneer coffee table. Lois bought a dining room suite for her and Dale at McKinney's. Soon they met up at Olson's to buy cribs.

After that day, their lives were consumed with sterilizing bottles and nipples, little glass jars of Gerber strained peas, Captain Kangaroo and the occasional rush to the emergency room to put a stitch in that knee or find out why she has swollen glands on her throat or set his little broken collar bone. The kids were a handful, but they were loved. They were ornery, but they were lovingly disciplined. They ran around the neighborhood, but they never knew how closely they were watched.

Vivian and Lois never lost touch. Every third Friday of the month, they got together with friends to play canasta. Every Fourth of July they threw family picnics where Jim and Dale manned the Weber barbecue cooking up burgers and hot dogs for the kids and T-bones for their wives and themselves.

Blink, turn around and whoosh! The kids were graduating high school and off to college. Blink, turn around and whoosh! The mortgages were paid and Jim suffers a heart attack. Vivian now found herself in a place she had never been, alone.

Lois and Dale travelled, visiting the Grand Canyon in Arizona then the Grand Canal n Venice. Lois dutifully sent back picture postcards to her friend Vivian. Vivian held them in her hand and shed a tear of self pity. But then she would scold herself for being morose and call her daughter just to hear her tell tales of her own domestic challenge.

Of course the phone company scraped the switchboards. Lois finally took over the beauty parlor and ran it for another fifteen years before turning it over to another talented young woman.

(End of part one. Part two coming up!)

Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner! I play the Lucky Day Lotto in Illinois every day. It used to be called the Little Lotto until they changed the name a while back. It's the only lottery game I play. You have to get 5 numbers to win the grand prize. I looked at my ticket this morning and I had 4 of the 5 winning numbers! I won $200.00. So, today in the coffee shop, the donuts are on me.

I know we don't talk about politics here in the Coffee Shop. This isn't a political post. As we all know, the election is coming up pretty soon. Regardless of who you favor in this race, please go to the polls and vote. It's the right thing to do.

Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner! I play the Lucky Day Lotto in Illinois every day. It used to be called the Little Lotto until they changed the name a while back. It's the only lottery game I play. You have to get 5 numbers to win the grand prize. I looked at my ticket this morning and I had 4 of the 5 winning numbers! I won $200.00. So, today in the coffee shop, the donuts are on me.

I played the lottery on Thursday but have not checked the winning numbers yet

I like to wait a few days and make it seem like I have a winning ticket in my wallet

People name kids all kinds of crazy names these days. Mrs. BBD's nephews and nieces are no exception. Some of the names to me seem just plain silly. What ever happened to names like Bob, Frank, Joe, Ann, Kathy and Rose? The world has gone insane.

My sister-in-law wanted a little girl from the time she gave birth to her first son. But alas there was boy after boy--no girls. When she was pregnant with her fifth son, we were so glad it was a boy because had he been a girl, born in April, she would have named the baby April Delight. And who wants to go through life as an ice cream sundae?

My name is Tim Johnson. I grew up in the 80's/90's and suffered through Timmy the Tooth, Tiny Tim, and Timmy the Cripple.

Then we all hit puberty and realized what Johnson meant.

Ironically, my parents erred not to name me Jedidiah, for fear that I would get teased for my name. :eusa_clap:

And yet we went through a period not long ago that the old fashioned Biblical names were very fashionable for babies. So the schools are now swamped with myriad Isaiah's, Ezekials, Joshua's, Zebediah's, etc.

I know we don't talk about politics here in the Coffee Shop. This isn't a political post. As we all know, the election is coming up pretty soon. Regardless of who you favor in this race, please go to the polls and vote. It's the right thing to do.

Agree. Not a political post and I wholeheartedly agree.

Woo hoo. The most I ever won was $2.00 on a $1.00 ticket. But doubling your money isn't bad. :) I would think you should get more than $200 for 4 numbers though.

I played the lottery on Thursday but have not checked the winning numbers yet

I like to wait a few days and make it seem like I have a winning ticket in my wallet

Hmmm. Okay, before we greet you as a new member in the Coffee Shop with all the amenities, can you verify you are new to the Coffee Shop or are you a recycled old member--we know you aren't new to USMB? You are most welcome either way of course. :)

And in my most not so unbiased fashion, I must compliment you on your choice of football teams.

Forum List

Back