USMB Coffee Shop IV

Those are pretty, but I wonder where on earth would I wear something like that? A little overdressed for most of the things I like to do . . . or can afford to do! :lol: Those dresses probably cost a lot of money.

Oh no doubt. Again I am a sweatshirt and jeans and moccasins kind of person. If I must dress up a bit, for me it is usually slacks and a turtleneck with good looking running shoes. If I need to REALLY dress up, I add a vest to the turtleneck and loafers. :)
Around the house it's boxers, A-shirt (wife beater shirt) and a open can of beer..........

Love the negative stereotype...... :D

I wear gym shorts or sweats and a pocket T shirt, outside it's jean shorts, jeans, pocket T and a open front long sleeve button down (light or heavy depending on temperature). On rare occasions I wear Dockers, buttoned up button down and a sport coat, the only time I wear my 1800s clothing is obviously when I'm at an event.

I can't imagine having to dress like a woman from the 1800s every day! It probably took them hours to get dressed. Lol.
I visited a plantation in South Carolina on vacation. A woman's outfit around 1860 weighed up to 40 pounds. They were rugged women.
Depended on the outfit and most women didn't wear all of that, they couldn't afford it, most wore what was called a day dress and if one was traveling the hoop would be packed not worn. The wife said the biggest issue for her was the corset, she tried to wear one many many moons ago and couldn't stand it, even tied relatively loose. They were practical in one aspect, they wore split crotch pantelettes which means they didn't have to strip all those layers off to use the bathroom.........
OK, what's the difference between "corset" and "stays"?

Just got back from a escapism road trip, out to Lordsburg NM then up Rte 90 to Silver City, back 180 to Deming then back home, yup I'm tired but the wife got her escape....... :D

Just got back from a escapism road trip, out to Lordsburg NM then up Rte 90 to Silver City, back 180 to Deming then back home, yup I'm tired but the wife got her escape....... :D
I've actually done that drive, it's terrific! I do prefer the Lake Roberts route, through Elephant Butte, but then I do like the mountains and I have some friends up that-a-way.

Oh no doubt. Again I am a sweatshirt and jeans and moccasins kind of person. If I must dress up a bit, for me it is usually slacks and a turtleneck with good looking running shoes. If I need to REALLY dress up, I add a vest to the turtleneck and loafers. :)
Around the house it's boxers, A-shirt (wife beater shirt) and a open can of beer..........

I wear gym shorts or sweats and a pocket T shirt, outside it's jean shorts, jeans, pocket T and a open front long sleeve button down (light or heavy depending on temperature). On rare occasions I wear Dockers, buttoned up button down and a sport coat, the only time I wear my 1800s clothing is obviously when I'm at an event.

I can't imagine having to dress like a woman from the 1800s every day! It probably took them hours to get dressed. Lol.
I visited a plantation in South Carolina on vacation. A woman's outfit around 1860 weighed up to 40 pounds. They were rugged women.
Depended on the outfit and most women didn't wear all of that, they couldn't afford it, most wore what was called a day dress and if one was traveling the hoop would be packed not worn. The wife said the biggest issue for her was the corset, she tried to wear one many many moons ago and couldn't stand it, even tied relatively loose. They were practical in one aspect, they wore split crotch pantelettes which means they didn't have to strip all those layers off to use the bathroom.........
The stays (whale bone or wood) are part of the corset and the precursor to the corset was called a stay from the 1600s until the mid 1700s when the first corset was originally made with quilted linen without the bones/wood stays. The stays were reintroduced later with a lighter (unquilted) version of the corset.

I've actually done that drive, it's terrific! I do prefer the Lake Roberts route, through Elephant Butte, but then I do like the mountains and I have some friends up that-a-way.
Done that too, love the section (Rte 15) from Silver City to Rte 35 (Lake Roberts) and the spur going to the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

The stays (whale bone or wood) are part of the corset and the precursor to the corset was called a stay from the 1600s until the mid 1700s when the first corset was originally made with quilted linen without the bones/wood stays. The stays were reintroduced later with a lighter (unquilted) version of the corset.
Which version would have been considered more "comfortable", and why would women have considered such things acceptable?

Which version would have been considered more "comfortable", and why would women have considered such things acceptable?

The stays were more comfortable, but not by much. :)

We have Catherine de Medici from Italy to thank who introduced the corset to the French court who loved it in the 1500's.
Crazy French women thought that it gave them exsquite figures.
Why does any women dress up even today in torcherious shoes?
For the same reason :lmao:it makes their feet and legs look good.
Oh what we women go through just to look sexy for our men:biggrin:

Last edited:
You'd have to ask my wife......... Personally I've never worn either........ :D

Well....

Things change. We are leaving this coming Monday morning at around 3am to avoid traffic and we are going home. I have had enough. This place is awful. And no doctor will refill my meds! So I am still covered on CenCal, so I have to be in my home county to get medications that keep me alive. Which means...home. Plus, the unbearable rules and regulations in this house is just too much, to boot. Today was no different than any other day, and I have passed my limit. Been packing all day. Leaving most here in lieu of rent for the 30 days notice we gave. So on Monday..we will be back home, living in our cars and pretending its camping. Tuesday we hit Social Services to tell them we are truly homeless, make appts with our doctors to get our refills like we have the past 30 years, cram stuff in the small storage unit we rented and get a PO box at the post office until we get a permanent address.

Enough is enough.

So Sunday night will be my last night posting for some time.

Hugs to you all.

I have and stays are a little more tolerable especially the ones that went under the boobs rather than corset that clenched in your whole front.
Both dig into you though.
Very uncomfortable.

I have and stays are a little more tolerable especially the ones that went under the boobs rather than courset that clenched in your whole front.
Very uncomfortable.
Plus try to bend over at the waist........ Good luck!!! :lol:

Since I was tired when we got home I popped a Marie Callender's three meat lasagna in the oven........ No complaints from either the wife or I but the wife will complain later when she starts burping garlic, it is heavily laden with garlic.

I have and stays are a little more tolerable especially the ones that went under the boobs rather than courset that clenched in your whole front.
Very uncomfortable.
Plus try to bend over at the waist........ Good luck!!! :lol:

Nope it's impossible, you bent from the hips. :)

Well....

Things change. We are leaving this coming Monday morning at around 3am to avoid traffic and we are going home. I have had enough. This place is awful. And no doctor will refill my meds! So I am still covered on CenCal, so I have to be in my home county to get medications that keep me alive. Which means...home. Plus, the unbearable rules and regulations in this house is just too much, to boot. Today was no different than any other day, and I have passed my limit. Been packing all day. Leaving most here in lieu of rent for the 30 days notice we gave. So on Monday..we will be back home, living in our cars and pretending its camping. Tuesday we hit Social Services to tell them we are truly homeless, make appts with our doctors to get our refills like we have the past 30 years, cram stuff in the small storage unit we rented and get a PO box at the post office until we get a permanent address.

Enough is enough.

Hugs to you all.

Good luck Gracie, I hope something comes up for you soon. :huddle:

Had the back slider open, saw movement out of the corner of my eye, a bird sitting on top of my fridge........ Tried to chase him out the open slider but he refused to leave, back and forth from the kitchen to the great room before I took the screen out of the kitchen window and he still didn't want to leave, three more tries and he was finally out the window. This is the same bird that will roost on a plant hanger under the back porch at night....... The only thing I was really concerned with was bird droppings all over the house. :thup:

If we left our back slider open we would have bats flying in. :biggrin:
I found one alive in my wood stove one time.
It had crawled up into the air flow knob at the front door of the stove.
Hubby removed the door and set it on the back patio.
He opened the knob fully and we waited till it flew away.

Well....

Enough is enough.

Hugs to you all.

Ohhhh. So sorry to hear that, Gracie. Hopefully things look up. You should be able to get a reasonably priced apartment. A lot of senior apartment complexes will rent to you on a sliding scale according to your income (at least that is the case here in MA). Best of luck to you. :(

Howdy folks,

English finals are all written, proofread, finalized and turned in. Turns out, I don't particularly care for writing analytical essays.

Remedial Algebra finals are today. At this point, it's gonna be a breeze as long as I don't get dyslexia when it comes to distribution properties.

I received a calculus book and college algebra book in the mail today. I opened the calculus book up first, took a gander at the table of contents, and immediately determined it to be a foreign language (though some of it DID register as English for me). I opened the Algebra book and smiled as I did all of chapter 1's review exercises in my head.

The fun part of gaining ground on my peers begins today. :deal:
It's good that you're advancing yourself however if the goal is a high paying job you may need to plan to attend post graduate school for most careers these days. These days most corporations and the US government view Bachelor Degrees in the same way high school diplomas were viewed in my early days.
Not trying to be a downer just letting you know what it's like in quite a few areas.

It really depends on the field however. One of our kids has a PhD and does very well but in a field that a PhD is pretty much mandatory. The other kid has a bachelors and earns a comparable salary and benefits because that industry values know how and ability to do the work as much as formal credentials. The degree did open the door and provided opportunity to move up to that great salary though. Myself, I have as much formal education as a master degree would require and more, but don't actually have a degree. But most of my working life, I have been in jobs that required a degree and employers accepted my experience and ability in lieu of the required degree.

It is just good to know the field you're going into and what the expectations will be in order for you to have opportunity in that field.

When my ship comes in, however--it seems to be lost at sea--I hope to finish up whatever requirements are necessary to complete my degree, not because I will ever use it, but just for the satisfaction of knowing I finished it.

Truthfully, the end-goal is to discover and understand, through my own personal observations, the calculations that govern the unseen world. And by unseen, I refer to what's inside a sub-atomic particle, and the directions they can move. I don't know if I'll ever have a well-paying job, as I am unable/unauthorized to seek taxable employment anymore, but I do plan to answer a lot of deep questions I have about our existence one way or another.

You would probably get along well with our son. He once speculated that what if every atom that exists is actually a whole world/universe much as the one we inhabit? And eternity was actually an infinity of small universes inside larger ones, inside still larger ones, etc. It would give a whole new context of ramifications of splitting the atom.

The math leads to extra dimensions, multiverses, and infinite outcomes. A living universe if you will.

goldendrum-dr-kivilcim-kayabali-4-638.jpg

The Packers won and I was glad for it. Mrs. BBD would not let me duct tape the package of cheddar cheese to the top of my head but the Packers won anyway. Guess the symbolic tribute wasn't really necessary to ensure victory.

I'd like to say a couple of words about SFC Ollie. Many of you posters here know him but I suppose some of you might not know him. I know he drops in now and then when he has the time. In this world there are "talkers" and there are "doers". Ollie is a doer. He has done many wonderful things for veterans and is a wealth of knowledge with matters that concern veterans. He has a great sense of humor and is what I would consider a true gentleman. I miss him and I hope that someday he will have more time to post. I know he is busy caring for his wife and I wish them both the very best of what God has to offer them.

Forum List

Back