USMB Coffee Shop IV

Two days ago we were coming home from shopping and saw this (no I didn't take the picture), we were miles further to the north on the Liberty Expressway.

Western%20Refining_1484331818188_5590918_ver1.0_640_360.PNG

Just found out it was an "emission incident" at the Western Refinery plant in El Paso, that's a plume of sulfur dioxide......

The plant is about 3 1/2 miles south east of our house.
They also had a fire at the same time but claim the two were unrelated...... Yeah, right......

Last edited:
Our own arctic freeze seems to be abating. Temperatures climbed above 32 degrees for the first time since, what seems like, the early 1990s. Icy a bit, slushy a lot, but nothing has to be shoveled. I did chemically shovel the driveway at lunchtime. A little calcium chloride between my tires and the asphalt goes a long way.

My powers of intuitive thinking took a bit of a vacation today. The new program for housing inspections now asks for a resident signature. I found that during the first inspections I conducted this morning. The building manager and I agreed that we should provide a stylus so that the residents could sign the iPad after their inspection.

So, during my lunch hour, I scoured the town looking for a package of styluses (styli?). In the third store I visited, a clerk approached me and asked if she could help. "Yes! I'm looking for a stylus someone could sign an iPad with." "Umm. Let me look!"

"You know a rubber tipped stick..."

Why couldn't an eraser do the trick? During the Space Race, Americans spent over a million dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil.

:) I know this anecdot... In reality, using pencil has another problems - graphite dust

Today I saw sun in window, through clouds - it was like Moon, thickness of clouds were just enough to provide this sight. Wonderful moment.
We saw the sun as a dim ball of light through the ice fog this morning. What a horror last night was, ice fog all night long!

Here is cold morning, a lot of snow - brrr, weather not funny too... But without snowfall it seems perfect...
No snow is pretty great, but you may understand that sometimes, when it is too cold for snow, you get horrible frost (frozen fog). That frost builds up on the fan blades of jet engines and has to be melted and scraped off. Lots of extra work for us, outside and in the cold. Brrr!

My teeth are ugly.
Losing a lot of enamel now. I try to keep hygiene proper but it's hard being homeless and using only bottled water in an RV. I don't want to smile anymore. Ugly.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

I remember my milk teeth problems from childhood - it was terrible... And, it's strange, my returns from dental clinic strongly associated with funerals of another Soviet leader of "five-years of magnificent funerals" ;)))) Now my son have the same problems with teeths, and it's terrible again...
How old is your son? Do you have any other children?

My elder son is 7 years old and he visit 1st grade of school every day. It's hard for him to awake at 7 o'clock, especially during winter, but I think some years later it would become a habit, like with me...

Also have two twin sons of 2.5 years - they still not visit childgarden, maybe some months later... :)
2.5 yrs old?! They are better spending time with family. 7 yrs, children really enjoy new experiences with other children.
My granddaughters are 14 and 16 years old this year.

Starship Troopers?

Awesome movie, for becoming more optimistic :)

It isn't fair. You're all the way over there in Russia and you've seen a lot more movies than I have. But I do love movies too. :)

:) Hollywood is a best factory of movies, in all other movie production centers there are significant percent of trash movies :) But if you're interesting of Russian movies, I can recommend you some good ones (for my taste, offcourse :)))
Me! Me! I'd like to see more Russian movies. There was a film aired last fall with a dialog in Russian and subtitles in German. I can manage both Russian and Nyemetski and found it challenging and wonderful. My two friends were asking me constantly for translation. I did the best I could.

What's the name of this film?

And what sort of movies do you prefer - comedies, or classic or "about life"? Or, maybe epic and fiction - I don't sure, we have a lot of them, but something is available to view..

Many Russian films are "character"-oriented, they reproduce details of personal characters very good - and it's a real fan :)
Mensch! I can't remember the name of the movie, it was about WWII, though. I like all kinds of movies, but British humor is always a winner with me. Have you ever seen any Monty Python movies? You do have to like British humor, though, it is different.

We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.

What sort of movies do you prefer? Habe you seen, for example, "Master and Commander"? What do you think about it? :)

I have seen it, and I think it pretty good for what it is, but I prefer more joy or humor and less blood and gore in my movies.

I very like it, because it's an awesome reconstruction. I'm interesting in different periods of history, took part in historical reconstruction - and looking all historic films through this knowledges... The quantity of movies with good material reconstruction is so few...

About humorous films... There are a lot of Soviet classic comedies, you have to see. For example this - without speech, about Soviet bootleggers :))

"Master and Commander" was a very good movie, IMHO, good historical perspective.

No snow is pretty great, but you may understand that sometimes, when it is too cold for snow, you get horrible frost (frozen fog). That frost builds up on the fan blades of jet engines and has to be melted and scraped off. Lots of extra work for us, outside and in the cold. Brrr!

Funny I can't recall any delays regarding ice build up on engine fan blades during my stint at HNL...

We must both be movie junkies, Sbiker. Only a fellow movie nut would respond "WOW!"

I've built up quite a collection of classic movies on DVD, just in time for such a collection to become obsolete due to youtube and streaming services. But what you don't get in formats other than DVD are the special features sections. Short documentaries on the 'making of' and other interesting minutia.

Warner Studios packages something they call 'Warner Night at the Movies'. It's great! They have a short documentary, a news reel of the news that happened the week of the feature film's premier, a cartoon, coming attractions and then the feature film. It's just like going to the theater fifty or sixty or seventy years ago.

Add me to your movie junkies club, but for me there aren't very many 21st century movies that I really appreciate. I much prefer those that are or will soon be classics and even among those, I'm picky.

What sort of movies do you prefer? Habe you seen, for example, "Master and Commander"? What do you think about it? :)

I have seen it, and I think it pretty good for what it is, but I prefer more joy or humor and less blood and gore in my movies.

I very like it, because it's an awesome reconstruction. I'm interesting in different periods of history, took part in historical reconstruction - and looking all historic films through this knowledges... The quantity of movies with good material reconstruction is so few...

About humorous films... There are a lot of Soviet classic comedies, you have to see. For example this - without speech, about Soviet bootleggers :))

OK, that was pretty funny, and it looked a lot like Alaska in many ways. Except now, they'd have marijuana instead of vodka (little water).

Funny I can't recall any delays regarding ice build up on engine fan blades during my stint at HNL...
Hhhmmm, I wonder why that might be? Even our ground support equipment is failing due to carburetor icing. The only "equipment" that doesn't fail is human, but we surely whine louder than the engines we service.

And have you seen the film "Peculiarities of the National Hunt"? It's a famous comedy, which have sequels "Pecularities of the National Fishing", "Pecularities of the National Hunt in Winter period".... and so-called "Pecularities of the National War" - a film "Blockpost", not a comedy, a drama about Chechen war, from the same director...

Haven't seen that one. I am a bit fussy about what time I have to view movies and I want movies with a strong story line, strong character development of sympathetic characters, and while necessary sex and violence is okay, I grow impatient with gratuitous sex and violence very quickly. I can handle a sad ending now and then such as in "Affairs of the Heart" or "Out of Africa" or "With Honors", all excellent, but mostly I enjoy movies that make me feel, make me laugh, have me pulling for the 'hero' or 'heroine', and have cheering at the end and feeling satisfied. Intelligent comedies like "A Knight's Tale" or "Chocolat" or "Armageddon" or "My Cousin Vinny" or "Down Periscope" are my favorite kind of movie just to sit back and enjoy.

I just looked along the bookshelf where I keep my films, and I have . 'Troy', 'Alexander', ' The day the earth stood still', The lion in winter' , 'Flying daggers', ' A beautiful mind', ' Hellboy ', ' Dune ', ' The crow ' , ' The Mummy ' ,

Then I have the ordinary epic trilogys like, ' The matrix trilogy', ' Xmen ', ' Lord of the rings' ,' and 'Men in black'.
That's a pretty eclectic roster.

They took his ballon out this morning.
He is very tired today, but eating well.
I had to leave earlier than I wanted to, before it rains.
I have 7 washes I have to cross before I get home.
They are going to let him sit up for the 1st time at around 6:00 tonight. I really wanted to stay to see his grin when
he sat up for the 1st time in days.

If he gets strong enough, by Mon. He will have the surgery.
If not they will release him on Mon.
If the 2nd one happens, I bring him home, then take him everyday for 2weeks to the Benson Hospital for rehab therapy to get him strong enough for the surgery.
Don't they have some kind of hospice where families can stay?

They are going to let him sit up for the 1st time at around 6:00 tonight. I really wanted to stay to see his grin when

If the 2nd one happens, I bring him home, then take him everyday for 2weeks to the Benson Hospital for rehab therapy to get him strong enough for the surgery.

First you have to be bad off enough for hospice, which he isn't. :)
I'm sure they do have that for the terminally ill and their families.

For hubbie I'm going to have a support team at the Benson Hospital this time.
It's usually just been him and me before this, getting him back up on his feet from his MS attacks.
The same Doc he is seeing now also goes down once or twice a week to our Benson Hospital.
Then TCM has a MS medical team that will try to keep his attacks as small and miminial as possible with therapy and drugs. They also come down twice a week.
So he will have a Benson and TMC team helping him with his therapy after his surgery.
They will be working on both therapy for his heart after the operation and the MS.

Last edited:
I am still c

It's usually just been him and me before this, getting him back up on his feet from his MS attacks.
The same Doc he is seeing now also goes down once or twice a week to our Benson Hospital.
Then TCM has a MS medical team that will try to keep his attacks as small and miminial as possible with therapy and drugs. They also come down twice a week.
So he will have a Benson and TMC team helping him with his therapy after his surgery.
They will be working on both therapy for his heart after the operation and the MS.
I am still crossing my hooks and sending the most positive vibes I can your way. May Mr. P. come through his tribulations with all the best! Luvs you both.

And have you seen the film "Peculiarities of the National Hunt"? It's a famous comedy, which have sequels "Pecularities of the National Fishing", "Pecularities of the National Hunt in Winter period".... and so-called "Pecularities of the National War" - a film "Blockpost", not a comedy, a drama about Chechen war, from the same director...

Haven't seen that one. I am a bit fussy about what time I have to view movies and I want movies with a strong story line, strong character development of sympathetic characters, and while necessary sex and violence is okay, I grow impatient with gratuitous sex and violence very quickly. I can handle a sad ending now and then such as in "Affairs of the Heart" or "Out of Africa" or "With Honors", all excellent, but mostly I enjoy movies that make me feel, make me laugh, have me pulling for the 'hero' or 'heroine', and have cheering at the end and feeling satisfied. Intelligent comedies like "A Knight's Tale" or "Chocolat" or "Armageddon" or "My Cousin Vinny" or "Down Periscope" are my favorite kind of movie just to sit back and enjoy.

I just looked along the bookshelf where I keep my films, and I have . 'Troy', 'Alexander', ' The day the earth stood still', The lion in winter' , 'Flying daggers', ' A beautiful mind', ' Hellboy ', ' Dune ', ' The crow ' , ' The Mummy ' ,

Then I have the ordinary epic trilogys like, ' The matrix trilogy', ' Xmen ', ' Lord of the rings' ,' and 'Men in black'.

Most of those I have seen. I even liked most of them. ;)

Interesting day! Preface it with: I feel like crap!
I've had a cold for5 days now. Rather than getting better, I now have a sore throat.
Over the week end, the brakes on my pick-up started telling me that I needed new pads up front. The first day I would have to replace the pads was Tuesday. By then, I was feeling poorly and wasn't up to changing brakes. Next chance was Thursday. I felt worse.
I went in and opened up the bar at 1:30 and was headed home when I got a call from a friend who needed a ride to work. This lady would give me the shirt off her back (which I'm sure I would enjoy greatly) so off I go on a 20 mile jaunt. I drop her off at the store she works at and decide to check out a new shop next door. I cut the wheel sharp and hit the brakes. I heard a nasty clunk and the brake pedal went to the floor.
I was barely moving at this point and the front wheels hit the curb stop gently. I pressed the brake pedal a few times and it firmed up. I resolved to inspect carefully when I got home
Well, I get out on the highway and the first time I hit the brakes, I heard a god awful sound of hard metal on cast iron. Soon after, the brakes were all but useless. I stopped at the parts store and got pads and brake fluid and made it home VERY carefully.
The diagnosis was DAMN one of my brake pads is GONE. Not worn out. Not broken. GONE as in not there. The caliper pistons were both out of their bores, so back to the parts store for a caliper. Happily, I now have brakes.
I am now totally exhausted and am going to crap out early. (for me)

Interesting day! Preface it with: I feel like crap!
I've had a cold for5 days now. Rather than getting better, I now have a sore throat.
Over the week end, the brakes on my pick-up started telling me that I needed new pads up front. The first day I would have to replace the pads was Tuesday. By then, I was feeling poorly and wasn't up to changing brakes. Next chance was Thursday. I felt worse.
I went in and opened up the bar at 1:30 and was headed home when I got a call from a friend who needed a ride to work. This lady would give me the shirt off her back (which I'm sure I would enjoy greatly) so off I go on a 20 mile jaunt. I drop her off at the store she works at and decide to check out a new shop next door. I cut the wheel sharp and hit the brakes. I heard a nasty clunk and the brake pedal went to the floor.
I was barely moving at this point and the front wheels hit the curb stop gently. I pressed the brake pedal a few times and it firmed up. I resolved to inspect carefully when I got home
Well, I get out on the highway and the first time I hit the brakes, I heard a god awful sound of hard metal on cast iron. Soon after, the brakes were all but useless. I stopped at the parts store and got pads and brake fluid and made it home VERY carefully.
The diagnosis was DAMN one of my brake pads is GONE. Not worn out. Not broken. GONE as in not there. The caliper pistons were both out of their bores, so back to the parts store for a caliper. Happily, I now have brakes.
I am now totally exhausted and am going to crap out early. (for me)

I'll put you on the list for wellness Ernie. And I am hugely impressed that you survived driving all that distance without brakes and that you know how to replace them yourself. And I am very grateful that you're still with us. :)

Just got word from another very good friend--this one in Colorado, who had a quadruple bypass on Monday and got to go home today. He doesn't have the other health issues that Mr. P does of course, but it just underscores how great and routine the surgery has become as they have perfected all the techniques to do it now.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Freedombecki and Becki’s hubby,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Noomi!!!
Nosmo's mom,
Ernie's stop smoking project,
Sherry’s Mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
Boedicca's Dad,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Etherion and his grandma,
Kat's mom and her sister,
Saveliberty for wellness,
Ringel's Gizmo and Boo and wellness for Ringel,
Ernie for wellness,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days.
And let's send up some special prayers and positive thoughts for Gracie & Mr. G who need a break big time right now.

All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Alan, Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, and all others who need to find their way back.

Zuni prayer place
915a846bc0c516e45819ae16162f1f5c.jpg

Tentatively updating:
Down mode is almost over. We both hit our low during that last storm.

On top of that.. Tentatively saying the room up north is looking to be MAYBE a sure thing, and medical assistance for my coverage in a new county MIGHT be in the works.

I am afraid to get too excited...So I am staying in numb mode for now. Once I hear more and see a rental contract in my post office box...Then I will breathe a four month sigh of relief.

Remember...This is still tentative and not set in stone...Yet. but mrg and I have clawed our way back up out of the hole and are back in the sunshine...But still staying numb for fear this too will be yanked.
Let's hope it isn't, yes?

Tentative smiley for y'all...[emoji52]

Tentatively updating:
Down mode is almost over. We both hit our low during that last storm.

On top of that.. Tentatively saying the room up north is looking to be MAYBE a sure thing, and medical assistance for my coverage in a new county MIGHT be in the works.

I am afraid to get too excited...So I am staying in numb mode for now. Once I hear more and see a rental contract in my post office box...Then I will breathe a four month sigh of relief.

Remember...This is still tentative and not set in stone...Yet. but mrg and I have clawed our way back up out of the hole and are back in the sunshine...But still staying numb for fear this too will be yanked.
Let's hope it isn't, yes?

Tentative smiley for y'all...[emoji52]

You know what's best about being a pessimist? You are rarely disappointed.

Forum List

Back