USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sooo...I decide to drive the Jeep to work tonight, transfer all my baggage and hit the road. The tranny is noisy, but at close to 300,000 miles, the partner has assured me that some noise due to wear is normal so I don't worry, much. About 10 miles into my commute, the noise is tremendous and the sudden smoke and racket...well, I managed to limp off the highway to a safe place.
Somehow, someone (partner) left the Jeep in 4-wheel low. Even at the 45 mph required by the new snow, the transmission became scrap. Of course, the moron blames me. Now I have another piece of scrap metal to deal with. Oh, well, I'm taking a night off.

Two days ago we were coming home from shopping and saw this (no I didn't take the picture), we were miles further to the north on the Liberty Expressway.

Western%20Refining_1484331818188_5590918_ver1.0_640_360.PNG

Just found out it was an "emission incident" at the Western Refinery plant in El Paso, that's a plume of sulfur dioxide......

The plant is about 3 1/2 miles south east of our house.
They also had a fire at the same time but claim the two were unrelated...... Yeah, right......

I blame bad eggs...

Interesting day! Preface it with: I feel like crap!
I've had a cold for5 days now. Rather than getting better, I now have a sore throat.
Over the week end, the brakes on my pick-up started telling me that I needed new pads up front. The first day I would have to replace the pads was Tuesday. By then, I was feeling poorly and wasn't up to changing brakes. Next chance was Thursday. I felt worse.
I went in and opened up the bar at 1:30 and was headed home when I got a call from a friend who needed a ride to work. This lady would give me the shirt off her back (which I'm sure I would enjoy greatly) so off I go on a 20 mile jaunt. I drop her off at the store she works at and decide to check out a new shop next door. I cut the wheel sharp and hit the brakes. I heard a nasty clunk and the brake pedal went to the floor.
I was barely moving at this point and the front wheels hit the curb stop gently. I pressed the brake pedal a few times and it firmed up. I resolved to inspect carefully when I got home
Well, I get out on the highway and the first time I hit the brakes, I heard a god awful sound of hard metal on cast iron. Soon after, the brakes were all but useless. I stopped at the parts store and got pads and brake fluid and made it home VERY carefully.
The diagnosis was DAMN one of my brake pads is GONE. Not worn out. Not broken. GONE as in not there. The caliper pistons were both out of their bores, so back to the parts store for a caliper. Happily, I now have brakes.
I am now totally exhausted and am going to crap out early. (for me)

Hmmm...a series of bad breaks...

Sooo...I decide to drive the Jeep to work tonight, transfer all my baggage and hit the road. The tranny is noisy, but at close to 300,000 miles, the partner has assured me that some noise due to wear is normal so I don't worry, much. About 10 miles into my commute, the noise is tremendous and the sudden smoke and racket...well, I managed to limp off the highway to a safe place.
Somehow, someone (partner) left the Jeep in 4-wheel low. Even at the 45 mph required by the new snow, the transmission became scrap. Of course, the moron blames me. Now I have another piece of scrap metal to deal with. Oh, well, I'm taking a night off.

They make new ones with 100,000 miles on them. :eusa_whistle:

That's what ya get for not takin' the dog sled..........

Two days ago we were coming home from shopping and saw this (no I didn't take the picture), we were miles further to the north on the Liberty Expressway.

Just found out it was an "emission incident" at the Western Refinery plant in El Paso, that's a plume of sulfur dioxide......

They also had a fire at the same time but claim the two were unrelated...... Yeah, right......
When I was a little kid, I thought smokestacks like that were where clouds came from. Glad you were't too close.

Wow ! I just watched 'Game of thrones' series six ,episodes 9 and 10. There was sure a lot of action and some extreme battle scenes. Now I have to wait months for series 7, the final series to come out and I am expecting some extreme spectacle, as it draws to its conclusion.

They, yup the ubiquitous they, said it was supposed to be cool, windy and rainy today........ Upper 70s, sunshine, no wind........ :dunno:

It's nearly 0100 and guess who can't sleep!

Aw sorry BBD. I have found the perfect formula for me to put me to sleep--about 20-30 minutes before I intend to go to bed, I take two extra strength acetaminophen PM (or brand name Tylenol if you can't find the generic) plus 1 220 mg naproxen (Alleve if you can't find the generic.)

It really knocks me out.

The acetaminophen PM has HCL25mg diphenhydramine (brand name Benadryl) in it. If you have no arthritic or other aches and pains, you could skip the naproxen that should not be taken on an empty stomach. Hombre just takes the diphenhydramine alone out of stubborness even though he does have aches and pains. :)

And sometimes OTC melatonin is effective for some.

Neither OTC med is habit forming and has no residual side effects for most folks.

They, yup the ubiquitous they, said it was supposed to be cool, windy and rainy today........ Upper 70s, sunshine, no wind........ :dunno:

53 but a lovely day up hear. There is still rain in the forecast but it sure doesn't look like rain out there and nothing close to us is showing on the radar. There is some rain in the boot heel headed in your direction but it is aways out there still.

Wow ! I just watched 'Game of thrones' series six ,episodes 9 and 10. There was sure a lot of action and some extreme battle scenes. Now I have to wait months for series 7, the final series to come out and I am expecting some extreme spectacle, as it draws to its conclusion.

I tried and tried to get interested in "Game of Thrones" based on other's rave reviews of it, but it was just too dark and violent for me. Maybe sometimes when I am in a better mood for that. . . .

I blame bad eggs...

Yup, the same stuff somebody always made in the chemistry lab and blew into the hallways in high school at least once every year. You sure wouldn't have wanted to be down wind from that.

Interesting day! Preface it with: I feel like crap!
I've had a cold for5 days now. Rather than getting better, I now have a sore throat.
Over the week end, the brakes on my pick-up started telling me that I needed new pads up front. The first day I would have to replace the pads was Tuesday. By then, I was feeling poorly and wasn't up to changing brakes. Next chance was Thursday. I felt worse.
I went in and opened up the bar at 1:30 and was headed home when I got a call from a friend who needed a ride to work. This lady would give me the shirt off her back (which I'm sure I would enjoy greatly) so off I go on a 20 mile jaunt. I drop her off at the store she works at and decide to check out a new shop next door. I cut the wheel sharp and hit the brakes. I heard a nasty clunk and the brake pedal went to the floor.
I was barely moving at this point and the front wheels hit the curb stop gently. I pressed the brake pedal a few times and it firmed up. I resolved to inspect carefully when I got home
Well, I get out on the highway and the first time I hit the brakes, I heard a god awful sound of hard metal on cast iron. Soon after, the brakes were all but useless. I stopped at the parts store and got pads and brake fluid and made it home VERY carefully.
The diagnosis was DAMN one of my brake pads is GONE. Not worn out. Not broken. GONE as in not there. The caliper pistons were both out of their bores, so back to the parts store for a caliper. Happily, I now have brakes.
I am now totally exhausted and am going to crap out early. (for me)

Hmmm...a series of bad breaks...

Okay that was really bad. Funny as nobody got hurt, but really bad. :)

Ugh. Glad you weren't hurt too. Between your tranny and Ernie's brakes, I'm hoping these things don't come in three's. My little Subaru is still fairly low mileage but it turned 21 last October.

Ugh. Glad you weren't hurt too. Between your tranny and Ernie's brakes, I'm hoping these things don't come in three's. My little Subaru is still fairly low mileage but it turned 21 last October.
GW has a tranny??!! Okie dokie...... :eusa_whistle:

Welp good news on this end. Just heard from my lawyer, the judge ruled in my favor on my disability claim. If it doesn't get pulled for review (happens in rare instances) I should start getting paid by the end of February and receive a one lump "back pay" of two and a half years in around 60 days. I will also be eligible for Medicare by March-April time frame.

Game of Thrones is over. There will be no more seasons.
Just a heads up.

Meanwhile, took karma to the beach...Pretty windy here, but nice in the lower 70s.
Today is brain rest day. DVDs, another beach run later this afternoon. Maybe a short nap.

I take 10 MGS of melatonin before bed and 1 Xanax. Both help, but I never sleep the whole night regardless. The older we get, the less sleep. Hence, boomers being nightowls.

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Welp good news on this end. Just heard from my lawyer, the judge ruled in my favor on my disability claim. If it doesn't get pulled for review (happens in rare instances) I should start getting paid by the end of February and receive a one lump "back pay" of two and a half years in around 60 days. I will also be eligible for Medicare by March-April time frame.
Wish I could find a pro Bono lawyer. I would probably get a settlement large enough to buy a small mobile home in a separate senior park. We just missed one that sold for 5k. But..A friends d of a friend d of the park owner snagged it then relisted it for 21k...And got it.[emoji21]

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Forum List

Back