USMB Coffee Shop IV

lol

5-250614132530-205801049.gif

Are any of you guys hyperthyroid? I just went to a lecture on thyroid issues the other night, it's quite interesting how being hyper or hypo can affect not only your weight but hair loss, bulging eyes, peeling skin. There was a doctor and a scientist speaking.

If you're having trouble keeping your weight up, you might want to have some labwork done on your thyroid.

Great idea Sarah....and keep in mind....women are much more prone to thyroid issues than men. Every women should have a thyroid panel done at least once....particularly if they have any of the symptoms you mentioned above.

My mom was hypo-thyroid and took a medication called "thyrolar" for many, many, many years until her death. She had a hard time keeping weight off.

My Mom was hyperthyroid and could never keep weight on. She had 80% of her thyroid removed and has been on Synthyroid for years.

Women should definitely be aware it is a potential issue. ;)

Happy birthday to BBD, 007 and Spoony!!
Had the swamp cooler on all night, slept like a baby. Sucking down bucket fulls of coffee trying to wake up. Will have to turn the swamp cooler back on later today, it's going to be near 100 here and 100+ further east in the high plains. The wife was talking about a short walk but is having second thoughts due to the heat, it's already in the low 80s. If she decides on the walk I'll have to pick up some sunscreen as her's is down in Trinidad and she burns easily.

Great idea Sarah....and keep in mind....women are much more prone to thyroid issues than men. Every women should have a thyroid panel done at least once....particularly if they have any of the symptoms you mentioned above.

My mom was hypo-thyroid and took a medication called "thyrolar" for many, many, many years until her death. She had a hard time keeping weight off.

My Mom was hyperthyroid and could never keep weight on. She had 80% of her thyroid removed and has been on Synthyroid for years.

Women should definitely be aware it is a potential issue. ;)

The doctor was a man and had thyroid cancer. He had a 7 inch long tumor behind his esophagus that finally was cured. He had the experience and info that caused me to research further. He was excellent.

Last edited:
Had the swamp cooler on all night, slept like a baby. Sucking down bucket fulls of coffee trying to wake up. Will have to turn the swamp cooler back on later today, it's going to be near 100 here and 100+ further east in the high plains. The wife was talking about a short walk but is having second thoughts due to the heat, it's already in the low 80s. If she decides on the walk I'll have to pick up some sunscreen as her's is down in Trinidad and she burns easily.

we've been lucky. windows open, no AC. 80's low humidity during the day, lower 50's at night. very rare for july around here. last tues- Thursday it was 100 and humid. more typical of july

we've been lucky. windows open, no AC. 80's low humidity during the day, lower 50's at night. very rare for july around here. last tues- Thursday it was 100 and humid. more typical of july
That (low heat) was last week here, had to wear sweats and a light jacket at night. Looks like July/August is gonna be hot. Possible t-storms this afternoon which should drop the temps down to comfortable levels it is the "monsoon" season out here.

Are any of you guys hyperthyroid? I just went to a lecture on thyroid issues the other night, it's quite interesting how being hyper or hypo can affect not only your weight but hair loss, bulging eyes, peeling skin. There was a doctor and a scientist speaking.

If you're having trouble keeping your weight up, you might want to have some labwork done on your thyroid.

Good question. I wonder about stuff like that when Jughead describes how food seems to pass right through.

My mom had her thyroid removed (I think that's what they did) when I was about maybe ten. Now that I look it up a little bit I'm not sure why but she was always thin as a rail.

Had to be thyroid cancer. They only remove them rarely.

Yeah that's interesting looking back -- nobody ever mentioned cancer until she got lung cancer about 45 years later. I wonder if they removed it, or did something else... :dunno: -- I just remember thyroid.

Forum List

Back