🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well, to not bring such woes to the CS, lets just say...to each his or her own regarding futures, ok? :)

Meanwhile....sun was out today, but it was around 50ish, so still coat weather. And just a few days ago, it was tank top weather. Jeez.

Still, I took Karma to the doggie park and let her sniff around a bit, then we hit a thrift store where I bought her a stuffed toy. Then I came home and took a nap and dreamed of home and Pier One, where I want to go to furnish our apartment when we get it. That was nice. Beats the shitty dreams I have so much. So, I am rested and now am wide awake due to the earlier nap.:eusa_doh:

The wild turkey is back. He was gone for a few days--or I thought he was--but this morning he was full throat when I walked out the back door. News update: He's got a GIRL with him now. I talked back to him a few times, and each time I did he responded with a gobble-gobble-gobble and from deeper in the woods I heard a response from another turkey, but it wasn't a gobble like his--it was more like a bark or a honk, and it wasn't as loud. But every time he spoke, I heard her say "I'm okay."
Could be a long nesting season.
Aww! Just imagine how cute the little pults will be when they finally hatch.
Do turkeys nest in trees or on the ground? So far, I haven't spotted him/them.

IMG_0626.JPG

It was unusually windy yesterday and during the night in Fresno, heard a lot of falling type noises, as soon as it's light out I'll go see the damage and hope not to find any. At least no trees fell on my house.

The winds were about 28mph and it was horrid, can't imagine what really bad winds are like.

I think Ringel05 was talking about the high winds he was experiencing in El Paso the day I came on here....can't even imagine.

Someone deliberately ran into the back end of our new Kia and stole our temp. Permit.
Cops just got here to look at it.
Man when it rains it pours eh?

Oh my gosh Peach. That you guys didn't need. Were you in it? If so when they catch the scum, if he is insured, you are seriously injured.

Thank you.
Were fine.
The car was parked in the driveway. We were in the house.
Sorry about leaving out that important detail. :)
I was to angry and wasn't thinking.

View attachment 119535

It was unusually windy yesterday and during the night in Fresno, heard a lot of falling type noises, as soon as it's light out I'll go see the damage and hope not to find any. At least no trees fell on my house.

The winds were about 28mph and it was horrid, can't imagine what really bad winds are like.

I think Ringel05 was talking about the high winds he was experiencing in El Paso the day I came on here....can't even imagine.

28 mph winds are considered a breezy day here. :)

The wild turkey is back. He was gone for a few days--or I thought he was--but this morning he was full throat when I walked out the back door. News update: He's got a GIRL with him now. I talked back to him a few times, and each time I did he responded with a gobble-gobble-gobble and from deeper in the woods I heard a response from another turkey, but it wasn't a gobble like his--it was more like a bark or a honk, and it wasn't as loud. But every time he spoke, I heard her say "I'm okay."
Could be a long nesting season.
Aww! Just imagine how cute the little pults will be when they finally hatch.
Do turkeys nest in trees or on the ground? So far, I haven't spotted him/them.

Yes, wild turkeys roost in trees at night especially. Sometimes pretty high up.

View attachment 119535

I just looked at our local news and some trees are down and power is out in some areas...also a house and a car had a tree fall on them.

That's my nightmare. I have 3 very tall pines not far from my house in the backyard..if they fall in my direction...I'm a goner if I'm at home.

He doesn't post here much anymore but he was a charter member of the Coffee Shop going way back to 2010

This reminds me how damn long I've been coming to this site. I've been posting on USMB the entire time the little one has been alive! I don't know when I first started coming into the CS, though.

I'm not sure either Montro. You are definitely a true denizen of the CS, but I don't remember when you first posted here. Probably before CS IV though, yes?

I've actually been in the CS since the original, although I don't know how long after it opened that I started posting. I obviously can't see any posts from that long closed thread, but you can see a post of mine in the Death of the Coffee Shop thread where you opened version 2: Death of the Coffee Shop!

He doesn't post here much anymore but he was a charter member of the Coffee Shop going way back to 2010

This reminds me how damn long I've been coming to this site. I've been posting on USMB the entire time the little one has been alive! I don't know when I first started coming into the CS, though.

I'm not sure either Montro. You are definitely a true denizen of the CS, but I don't remember when you first posted here. Probably before CS IV though, yes?

I've actually been in the CS since the original, although I don't know how long after it opened that I started posting. I obviously can't see any posts from that long closed thread, but you can see a post of mine in the Death of the Coffee Shop thread where you opened version 2: Death of the Coffee Shop!

Wow, I had forgotten about that thread. I just read through it quickly and it warms the heart. Thanks Montro. I especially liked this photo posted by Rat in the Hat:
coffeeshoptombstone_zpsce69b889.jpg

That was the original Coffee Shop and we did have an incredible amount of posts and views before C_K had to close it because it was interfering with the old V-bulletin format. Coffee Shop II and III didn't last nearly as long before we had to again close and reopen. Coffee Shop IV may outdo the original as the Xenforo format seems to handle it better.

I'll update all of it on May 2 on our seventh anniversary of the Coffee Shop.

View attachment 119535

I just looked at our local news and some trees are down and power is out in some areas...also a house and a car had a tree fall on them.

That's my nightmare. I have 3 very tall pines not far from my house in the backyard..if they fall in my direction...I'm a goner if I'm at home.
They probably won't fall if they're healthy. It would be worth calling your local cooperative extension and seeing if they would come take a look at them. Or even pay for a visit by a tree expert. They would tell you which if any are in danger of coming down in a gale. The other thing to pay attention to is the prevailing winds when you have a really bad storm. Here the bad winds come from the northeast 90% of the time.

Speaking of SFC Ollie (his birthday was yesterday) he usually was the one to take over the vigil list and such chores when I was without wifi access. I miss him here a lot as I know many of you who know him do.

He gave me permission to tell you that he left home (Illinois) today to travel to Arizona. His beloved Mary who died a few months ago requested that her ashes be given to the wind at the Grand Canyon. And Ollie plans to do that this weekend along with the ashes of her beloved Colonel (their dog) who died a short time before she did.

He is traveling alone. I can't imagine how emotional that is going to be for him.

View attachment 119535

They probably won't fall if they're healthy. It would be worth calling your local cooperative extension and seeing if they would come take a look at them. Or even pay for a visit by a tree expert. They would tell you which if any are in danger of coming down in a gale. The other thing to pay attention to is the prevailing winds when you have a really bad storm. Here the bad winds come from the northeast 90% of the time.

Thanks for that info, I'm a real dumb bunny when it comes to things like this.

They used to be really healthy when I moved here 14 years ago and they still grow like weeds, not even sure what kind of pine they are but ever since the drought...they don't look as good. :(

I'd hate to lose them though, I live in a subdivision where the houses are close and although I have an 8ft fence all around...I'm a one story and the house behind me is a two story and without those pines, they can see everything I do.

Speaking of SFC Ollie (his birthday was yesterday) he usually was the one to take over the vigil list and such chores when I was without wifi access. I miss him here a lot as I know many of you who know him do.

He gave me permission to tell you that he left home (Illinois) today to travel to Arizona. His beloved Mary who died a few months ago requested that her ashes be given to the wind at the Grand Canyon. And Ollie plans to do that this weekend along with the ashes of her beloved Colonel (their dog) who died a short time before she did.

He is traveling alone. I can't imagine how emotional that is going to be for him.

Don't know him but can imagine how he feels, my husband's ashes are on top of my armoire in my bedroom...will wait til I die and my kids can scatter us together. That's my plan so far, anyway.

Drove to the accountant's office in Dixon today in the rain. Picked up my taxes and got them all paid. Freedom sure doesn't come cheap! Did I mention that I hate taxes? ***groan***

Not only that I hope he knows the Park rules concerning the scattering of ashes, don't want him to get in trouble.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Ash-Scatter-Approval-Letter-201111.pdf

Drove to the accountant's office in Dixon today in the rain. Picked up my taxes and got them all paid. Freedom sure doesn't come cheap! Did I mention that I hate taxes? ***groan***

Not only that I hope he knows the Park rules concerning the scattering of ashes, don't want him to get in trouble.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Ash-Scatter-Approval-Letter-201111.pdf
The letter used a word I have never heard before. "Cremains". Interesting.

Last day of the month and a Friday. Usually, this means today would be one of the busiest days of the year for me. But, unusually, every contractor and landlord has completed their punchlists early. Maybe I can play hooky later and take the afternoon off.

Yesterday Daisy the Mutt was the guest star at the after school program at one of our public housing projects. She was, as you have come to expect, a big hit with the kids. It rained yesterday so I carried Daisy in rather than let her first run through the mud puddles. My hand wasn't on the door when the kids spotted her. They were on her like Velcro.

At first Daisy was a little freaked out by twenty some kids fawning over her, but her instincts as a natural attention whore quickly kicked in and she reveled in the affection.

She romped and played with the kids. She performed her array of tricks. She got plenty of hugs and kisses. Getting out of there was harder than participating in a Welsh spelling bee! All in all, it was good for her as our daily walk was postponed due to weather. It was good for me too watching those kids giggle and play with my little dog.

Ollie's pretty sharp. He'll figure it out.

Forum List

Back