USMB Coffee Shop IV

View attachment 123706
Good morning! Sunny and warm but windy today. Looking at my forecast for the week I see a 97 next week, that's way too early to be that hot!

Just some errands today...Have a great Friday everyone!

Whoa. It is really unusually cool here--expecting around 50 for a high today, 45 tomorrow with a possible freeze tomorrow night and heavy snow in the northern mountains. That's really not good news because everything is leafed out, flowers are blooming, little peaches have set on the trees etc. Looking ahead, Accuweather isn't forecasting anything above 80 and mostly 60's and 70's for us until the end of May.

My roses are blooming beautifully already....I took this pic yesterday...it's the tiny teacup rose I planted 12 years ago in memory on the first anniversary of my husband's death. It was all white tiny roses and only about 5 inches high then...grows
Ike crazy..Gardner has to cut it back all the time.
Lovely roses! 039.gif

Good morning everybody. It is April 29 and just over 33
degrees f (1 celsius) and spitting snow flakes at our house this morning. Hard freeze predicted for tonight. We are supposed to be putting out the tomato plants now. :(

Last edited:
Good evening esthermoon. It is just after 9 p.m. at your house, yes? I am one of those people that doesn't really 'get' the international date line--I can properly define it, but it just doesn't quite compute in my brain :)--but I do understand the difference between day and night and how that differs depending on where we live on the planet.

So at 9 o'clock at our house we are starting to think about winding down and getting to bed sometime in the next 2 or 3 hours. Are you a night owl like some of the other members?

Good evening esthermoon. It is just after 9 p.m. at your house, yes? I am one of those people that doesn't really 'get' the international date line--I can properly define it, but it just doesn't quite compute in my brain :)--but I do understand the difference between day and night and how that differs depending on where we live on the planet.

So at 9 o'clock at our house we are starting to think about winding down and getting to bed sometime in the next 2 or 3 hours. Are you a night owl like some of the other members?
:bye1:
Almost 9.20 here Foxfyre! We have dinner at 7/7.30 and then my parents go to bed at 11 sometimes at midnight ;)
My sister and I are those who are active at night :D
But not always! Sometimes I go to bed sooner than my parents :oops:

I am moving in 2 weeks. I just looked up Pack Rat and I am not in their service area. So, they sent me to U Pack, and I got a quote of
13 Feet of Trailer Space $1,811.00. We would have to pack it etc.
Already am set with 2 Men and a Truck. They come and load it, haul it, unload and set it up..even beds.
That is costing $3034.00. Guess that's who I will stick with.

Did I say I hate moving? I am SO tired of packing etc. "Throw this away, keep this, give this to charity". LOL
Just keep moving forward, as much as you can everyday. You'll be able to kick back in your new home and unpack at your own speed soon enough.

I hate it too.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I am moving in 2 weeks. I just looked up Pack Rat and I am not in their service area. So, they sent me to U Pack, and I got a quote of
13 Feet of Trailer Space $1,811.00. We would have to pack it etc.
Already am set with 2 Men and a Truck. They come and load it, haul it, unload and set it up..even beds.
That is costing $3034.00. Guess that's who I will stick with.

Did I say I hate moving? I am SO tired of packing etc. "Throw this away, keep this, give this to charity". LOL

Dang, I could fly down, rent a Uhaul and have a vacation too. :(

Also with any luck we may have found a rental for just a little more than half of what we're paying now, the only thing is it's down in Los Lunas but we can deal with that for a year. It's a newer house around 1600 square feet on a large lot with a two car garage and great mountain views.
Just found out it's being rented today so off to choice number 2, about $250 more per month but up on the ridge in SW Albuquerque off Dennis Chavez.

That's a far piece from Rio Rancho, but I see Unser Blvd now goes all the way through so that's a fairly fast route to Rio Rancho.

Also with any luck we may have found a rental for just a little more than half of what we're paying now, the only thing is it's down in Los Lunas but we can deal with that for a year. It's a newer house around 1600 square feet on a large lot with a two car garage and great mountain views.
Just found out it's being rented today so off to choice number 2, about $250 more per month but up on the ridge in SW Albuquerque off Dennis Chavez.

That's a far piece from Rio Rancho, but I see Unser Blvd now goes all the way through so that's a fairly fast route to Rio Rancho.
She doesn't expect to get the job, waaaaaay too overqualified so she'll hook up with temp/staffing agencies for the time being. Eventually when we buy our preferred location would be north Rio Rancho simply because of this view...........

Sandia-Lifestyle-View_Rio_Rancho-1000x221.jpg

degrees f (1 celsius) and spitting snow flakes at our house this morning. Hard freeze predicted for tonight. We are supposed to be putting out the tomato plants now. :(
Not that bad here, mid 40s, rainy and slightly breezy. I'm wearing sweats and a heavy robe.........

That's funny, "that's a far piece"........ We have to drive at minimum an hour in any direction from El Paso to get to anywhere, that isn't a "far piece" for us........ :D
Seem to be the prevailing attitude there though, the lady interviewing the wife told her they had other offices "way down" in Albuquerque and Los lunas........ :lol:

She doesn't expect to get the job, waaaaaay too overqualified so she'll hook up with temp/staffing agencies for the time being. Eventually when we buy our preferred location would be north Rio Rancho simply because of this view...........

I doubt the State would hold being over qualified against her, but the truth is that there is horrible nepotism when it comes to state hiring. With some rare exceptions, you pretty much have to know somebody to even be seriously considered for one of the more attractive jobs. Best bet is a low paying grunt job and hope to be able to curry favors to move up.

But you never know when you might be one of the exceptions so it doesn't hurt to try.

I would suggest once you get here to look to the Presbyterian Hospital Organization or Lovelace or University of New Mexico Hospital for some openings. With Mrs. R's medical knowledge/experience, at least in the terminoloy, she would have a better than average foot in the door there I would think.

Last edited:

How did it get so cold there? It's 81° here right now.

I don't know but they are predicting up to 2' of snow just north of us and it is still spitting a snowflake now then here in the city. Our Sandia Mountains that form the eastern boundary of Albuquerque are probably also catching a good deal of white stuff today--the clouds are too low to see what's going on up there.

The temperature has dropped 3 degrees in the last hour and now is again at 33f.

Anyhow I love this kind of weather in December, January, and February. At the end of April not so much.

• Thanks

I don't know but they are predicting up to 2' of snow just north of us and it is still spitting a snowflake now then here in the city. Our Sandia Mountains that form the eastern boundary of Albuquerque are probably also catching a good deal of white stuff today--the clouds are too low to see what's going on up there.

The temperature has dropped 3 degrees in the last hour and now is again at 33f.

Anyhow I love this kind of weather in December, January, and February. At the end of April not so much.
I closed all windows and turned on the heat this morning. This is the craziest dang weather ever.

• Thanks
We went up to Alamogordo earlier, stopped and got something to eat when we arrived before going to Wally World there to pick up her new eye glasses...... Don't ask.......
When we hit Alamogordo the Sacramentos were socked in with low lying overcast and it started raining and sleeting as we entered town. When we came out it had stopped raining and halfway up the mountains it was all snow, when we finally got home it had started to rain again down here but the temps were up into the mid 50s, it felt almost hot........ :lol:
One quick event that happened on the way up to Alamogordo, we came to the Border Patrol Inspection station, as we approached the spot the officer is posted we noticed the car stopped there had the trunk open, the officer was looking in the trunk with his hand on his weapon, he moved around to the driver's door and opened it with his hand still on his sidearm, the driver came out with hands raised, six other officers came out of the building ready to draw if necessary. They led the guy away in handcuffs the moved the car out of the through lane, it all happened in less than a minute.

If you're in the right location, the views can be sensational--both mountain views, desert views, and city views. And if we were buying now we would probably also be looking in Rio Rancho. All the city amenities there plus you can get more house for the money in Albuquerque and, unless Intel closes, property should hold its value there. The Intel situation is worrisome though as they haven't been upgrading the plant for some time and it is the largest employer in the state. If it closes it would be devastating for Rio Rancho for some time.

75 here today. Tomorrow it will probably be back down in the 40's or maybe even snow. This place is wacky.

If you're in the right location, the views can be sensational--both mountain views, desert views, and city views. And if we were buying now we would probably also be looking in Rio Rancho. All the city amenities there plus you can get more house for the money in Albuquerque and, unless Intel closes, property should hold its value there. The Intel situation is worrisome though as they haven't been upgrading the plant for some time and it is the largest employer in the state. If it closes it would be devastating for Rio Rancho for some time.
Intel is the largest chip maker for PCs and with more and more people moving to smart phones and tablets they need to adapt or eventually become marginalized in the market. IBM built a huge campus in the Reston/Herndon area just before the PC market took off and left them behind, AOL built a huge campus out west of Reston/Herndon just before they lost most of the market to Google and others. Both those campuses are mostly empty now but Intel has rapidly moved to diversify into other areas something neither IBM or AOL did very fast so I'm not as concerned with Intel's fate. Those are the risks associated with the constantly changing tech industry.

Intel is the largest chip maker for PCs and with more and more people moving to smart phones and tablets they need to adapt or eventually become marginalized in the market. IBM built a huge campus in the Reston/Herndon area just before the PC market took off and left them behind, AOL built a huge campus out west of Reston/Herndon just before they lost most of the market to Google and others. Both those campuses are mostly empty now but Intel has rapidly moved to diversify into other areas something neither IBM or AOL did very fast so I'm not as concerned with Intel's fate. Those are the risks associated with the constantly changing tech industry.

My only concern is if the plant at Rio Rancho closes--and whether that will inevitably happen in the next few years is according to who you ask--some 2500 jobs at the plant and 5000 more who contract with Intel will go bye bye and blow a $800+ million dollar hole in the area economy. And that will likely put thousands of houses on the market which will hurt Albuquerque and the entire metro area but will devastate real estate values in Rio Rancho. It is just something to think about before making a decision.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back