USMB Coffee Shop IV

Weekend-e-card.jpg

Bloody fox cubs, I spent all day yesterday looking out of the window for them every five minutes, and they finally turned up at 9.15 PM. Too dark to take photos.

Hey there! I'm not dead, not angry,just not so inclined to argue politics.
This past Monday I had my appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. He was very pleased with my progress. He's a bit perplexed that a 67 year old has healed about 25% faster than average. Most people with a tibia plateau fracture are not allowed to put weight on their knee for 12 weeks. I've been cleared for weight bearing at 9 and a half weeks.
I'm pleased, but now I have to work on getting this damned leg strong enough to walk. After over 2 months in a brace or cast that has kept my knee bent about 10 degrees, I can't lock my knee straight and with the atrophy from all this time not using the leg, I cannot support all my weight on my left leg... So, yesterday, I started therapy.
Very interesting! It HURTS, but I am making progress. Until last night, I had been sleeping and mostly living on the pullout sofa in the living room. Yesterday friends moved stuff around so I could get back into the bedroom. My living room looks like a living room again, instead of a hospital room and I'm done with the foam wedge to elevate my leg and keep the knee slightly bent. between the exercises and sleeping without the support, my knee is straight. I can't quite lock it, but I'm happy with the progress.
For a couple weeks, I was slipping into a depression. Not being able to perform my daily tasks, Infrequent visits to Doc's, pain and side effects from narcotics were wearing me down. So, Monday morning I need coffee. I grab the walker next to my bed and hop one legged to the wheel chair and sit down. Damn! I didn't have my cell phone.. It was in center of the bed and I couldn't reach it from the chair. I got back on the walker and leaned way over for the phone. The walker toppled over and the cross bar hit my left foot and I fell across the bed.
I started laughing uncontrollably. I had visions of a tiny car with a couple dozen clowns getting in and out all to the theme from Benny Hill.
I was still laughing once I was back in chair measuring coffee into the grinder. As I was about to push the button, my partner called. I was still laughing and could only manage "Hi" and "What's up?" He asked if I was down with him and a few friends coming over to waste about 500 rounds off my back deck.
3 hours later, there were 5 of us shooting at anything we could find that looked like a target and we could throw off the deck. I ran 100 rounds through my matched pair of Colt 1973s at one point, propped up on my crutches shooting with one in each hand.
I'm no longer laughing uncontrollably, but that day was exactly what I needed. I've started working on my recovery both physically and mentally. I'm probably happier than I should be considering my limitations, but hell! I can get down the steps and get to my truck and haul my decrepit butt to Doc Holliday' a few days a weeks. I can wear long pants for the first time since the last pair were cut off me in the ER and I can sit on a bar stool with both feet on the rail.
Life is good and I promise: I won't be such a stranger.

Well what can I say Ernie except YAY!!! I don't want you in pain, but you definitely sound like our Ernie again. You are so welcome back!
2steps forward one back... I had a pretty busy day. I was out of the house most of the afternoon and then back to Doc's at 8. I really wanted to hang and listen to the band, but the damned leg swelled up on me and I had to leave
Happy Mothers Day,Ernie S. ! Your story makes me look anxiously forward to my knee replacement. NOT!

When is that knee replacement supposed to happen Hossfly? Usually a pretty quick recovery for the truly motivated, but a painful surgery it is. Those I know who have had it have not regretted it though.

Wow. Looks like anything that was posted from just before 10 am MDT yesterday to 4 am MDT today was completely wiped out. Whatever they did to fix the board must have been pretty extreme--vigil list is gone and a lot of our posts.

But oh well. If most of the stuff on our hard drives aren't worth saving, I imagine we can replace whatever important we posted yesterday too. Good morning all. We're just getting our day started here and all is well.

And hope everybody else is looking forward to a good day and a good week.

This past Monday I had my appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. He was very pleased with my progress. He's a bit perplexed that a 67 year old has healed about 25% faster than average. Most people with a tibia plateau fracture are not allowed to put weight on their knee for 12 weeks. I've been cleared for weight bearing at 9 and a half weeks.
I'm pleased, but now I have to work on getting this damned leg strong enough to walk. After over 2 months in a brace or cast that has kept my knee bent about 10 degrees, I can't lock my knee straight and with the atrophy from all this time not using the leg, I cannot support all my weight on my left leg... So, yesterday, I started therapy.
Very interesting! It HURTS, but I am making progress. Until last night, I had been sleeping and mostly living on the pullout sofa in the living room. Yesterday friends moved stuff around so I could get back into the bedroom. My living room looks like a living room again, instead of a hospital room and I'm done with the foam wedge to elevate my leg and keep the knee slightly bent. between the exercises and sleeping without the support, my knee is straight. I can't quite lock it, but I'm happy with the progress.
For a couple weeks, I was slipping into a depression. Not being able to perform my daily tasks, Infrequent visits to Doc's, pain and side effects from narcotics were wearing me down. So, Monday morning I need coffee. I grab the walker next to my bed and hop one legged to the wheel chair and sit down. Damn! I didn't have my cell phone.. It was in center of the bed and I couldn't reach it from the chair. I got back on the walker and leaned way over for the phone. The walker toppled over and the cross bar hit my left foot and I fell across the bed.
I started laughing uncontrollably. I had visions of a tiny car with a couple dozen clowns getting in and out all to the theme from Benny Hill.
I was still laughing once I was back in chair measuring coffee into the grinder. As I was about to push the button, my partner called. I was still laughing and could only manage "Hi" and "What's up?" He asked if I was down with him and a few friends coming over to waste about 500 rounds off my back deck.
3 hours later, there were 5 of us shooting at anything we could find that looked like a target and we could throw off the deck. I ran 100 rounds through my matched pair of Colt 1973s at one point, propped up on my crutches shooting with one in each hand.
I'm no longer laughing uncontrollably, but that day was exactly what I needed. I've started working on my recovery both physically and mentally. I'm probably happier than I should be considering my limitations, but hell! I can get down the steps and get to my truck and haul my decrepit butt to Doc Holliday' a few days a weeks. I can wear long pants for the first time since the last pair were cut off me in the ER and I can sit on a bar stool with both feet on the rail.

Well what can I say Ernie except YAY!!! I don't want you in pain, but you definitely sound like our Ernie again. You are so welcome back!
2steps forward one back... I had a pretty busy day. I was out of the house most of the afternoon and then back to Doc's at 8. I really wanted to hang and listen to the band, but the damned leg swelled up on me and I had to leave
Good to hear from you Ernie! Glad you're out and about, even if for a short time.

Wow. Looks like anything that was posted from just before 10 am MDT yesterday to 4 am MDT today was completely wiped out. Whatever they did to fix the board must have been pretty extreme--vigil list is gone and a lot of our posts.

But oh well. If most of the stuff on our hard drives aren't worth saving, I imagine we can replace whatever important we posted yesterday too. Good morning all. We're just getting our day started here and all is well.

I always thought (for no specific reason) that you were a female. Loved your Mother's Day story. Good son, you are!

Okay I just figured out nothing did get deleted. Found the vigil list I posted last night and everything. And the board does seem to be working okay now.

I wish they would tell us who the new administrator is though. Did ya'll know that C_K isn't here anymore? His choice. He apparently moved on to bigger things.

Last edited:

I always thought (for no specific reason) that you were a female. Loved your Mother's Day story. Good son, you are!

Um, I think you meant this for Nosmo. And yeah, he's all guy. :)

Good morning everyone! Weather is good and I'm getting ready to go to Trader Joe's.

46 years ago on this day I was in labor at a hospital in Chicago! By evening I had my wonderful, beautiful daughter! :)

Even though I love her and except for the outcome...Going to TJs is better.
Have a great day, hope when I press reply it works today.

Happy Mothers Day,Ernie S. ! Your story makes me look anxiously forward to my knee replacement. NOT!

When is that knee replacement supposed to happen Hossfly? Usually a pretty quick recovery for the truly motivated, but a painful surgery it is. Those I know who have had it have not regretted it though.

Talking to my VA doctor tomorrow. (16th) Cortisone shots have absolutely no effect anymore. I'm in Charlotte until June 2d but I want him to arrange for the operation in Ft. Worth VA between then and Sept 15th. The whole problem is aggravated by the fact that I can't take any pain killers because of my medications. I get killer anxiety attacks from pain medicine.

Um, I think you meant this for Nosmo. And yeah, he's all guy. :)
LOL. Boy did I mess that one up. You as a guy just wasn't sitting right, for some reason.

Okay I just figured out nothing did get deleted. Found the vigil list I posted last night and everything. And the board does seem to be working okay now.

I wish they would tell us who the new administrator is though. Did ya'll know that C_K isn't here anymore? His choice. He apparently moved on to bigger things.

Breakfast isn't the same. :(

Good morning everyone! Weather is good and I'm getting ready to go to Trader Joe's.

46 years ago on this day I was in labor at a hospital in Chicago! By evening I had my wonderful, beautiful daughter! :)

Even though I love her and except for the outcome...Going to TJs is better.
Have a great day, hope when I press reply it works today.

If it works, they send you puppies now. I'd keep your posts low. :lol:

Talking to my VA doctor tomorrow. (16th) Cortisone shots have absolutely no effect anymore. I'm in Charlotte until June 2d but I want him to arrange for the operation in Ft. Worth VA between then and Sept 15th. The whole problem is aggravated by the fact that I can't take any pain killers because of my medications. I get killer anxiety attacks from pain medicine.

Hope everything works out well for you Hoss. :thup:

The Stray Cat Posse has three main actors. Baby cat, who was the first stray, born with three legs. Kitten who was born last year and has had some misfortune to lose a leg too. Then there's Pouncer.

So last night I hear a banging at the front door and there are all three on the porch with Pouncer pushing the screen door. It was like he was knocking and seemed pleased when I came to the door with milk and cat food. They learn stuff.

I bought some bass strings to toss into an amazon order a while back, and they arrived yesterday. Today I decided to replace one of my bass strings which has had an annoying bump in it for years. I haven't replaced my strings in probably close to 2 decades, since I stopped playing in bands, but being bass strings, they are tough. Still, although I rarely pick up my bass anymore, that bump in the last string always annoys me when I do, hence buying the new strings. I'll get around to replacing all the strings at some point probably, but I'm too lazy at the moment. :lol:

Anyway, I don't remember many songs or even just riffs that I wrote in my playing days. There was one small riff, that I created as a break in a song someone else wrote the music for, that I've always liked. After I put the new string on, I decided to mess around for a few minutes playing....and I completely forgot that riff. I kept getting part of another song in my head, instead. I tried to remember it for 10 minutes or so, but it would not come to mind. It's one of those things I always play when I pick my bass up, which goes to show how infrequently I do that nowadays. Luckily, after I gave up and went back downstairs to make myself some tea, I remembered the riff and went back upstairs to play it. :) Of course, I can't play it correctly as fast as I wrote it, but at least I remember how it goes. :lol:

I bought some bass strings to toss into an amazon order a while back, and they arrived yesterday. Today I decided to replace one of my bass strings which has had an annoying bump in it for years. I haven't replaced my strings in probably close to 2 decades, since I stopped playing in bands, but being bass strings, they are tough. Still, although I rarely pick up my bass anymore, that bump in the last string always annoys me when I do, hence buying the new strings. I'll get around to replacing all the strings at some point probably, but I'm too lazy at the moment. :lol:

Anyway, I don't remember many songs or even just riffs that I wrote in my playing days. There was one small riff, that I created as a break in a song someone else wrote the music for, that I've always liked. After I put the new string on, I decided to mess around for a few minutes playing....and I completely forgot that riff. I kept getting part of another song in my head, instead. I tried to remember it for 10 minutes or so, but it would not come to mind. It's one of those things I always play when I pick my bass up, which goes to show how infrequently I do that nowadays. Luckily, after I gave up and went back downstairs to make myself some tea, I remembered the riff and went back upstairs to play it. :) Of course, I can't play it correctly as fast as I wrote it, but at least I remember how it goes. :lol:

The only way I know to get a song out of your head is to sing it out loud loudly. People look at you funny if you aren't careful where you do that though.

Forum List

Back